Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Utgardian IG (DIY Halo-style vehicles - Flyer)

scratch-built DIY chimera macharius basilisk papercraft

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

CommodusXIII:

That was the idea happy.png

But several of the rivets still turned out too massive - but for the purpose of 40k-ing the tanks, it works good enough. However, i'll try something different on the next tank. Still with rivets, but more effort (yes, THAT's what i need... do it even more complicated so it takes even longer. How many tanks do i need in the end? .... Should be done a few years after retirement).

Brother Cristopher:

Regarding uniformity... on first and second thought, i wanted to contradict. On third thought, i agree. You can explain everything with lore... but it all comes down to a business related decision by GW. But for Primaris, no other mark of armour is necessary - or would ebven make sense, since the other versions of armor accessible to normal marines are simply outdated models. But anyway... i am no fan of the whole primaris concept.

Custom designs, supported by a (credible) backstory are in defiance of GW's policy tongue.png It's also fun to take your time and devise reasons why your plastic or cardboard tank is so different than expected.

Amen, brother!

Oh, i understood what you meant about the "making sense" aspect. Maybe i should point out that for me, it may be important in general - but it is also VERY dependant on the specific army. With my Dark Angels i stick - with a limited number of exceptions - stubbornly to the codex (that was valid at that time... i started with 3e...). So, it is again the narrative influencing the respective army.

So you see - it is not only what was intended by GW what makes my IG different from my Dark Angels. You could say they defy Mars as much as i do GW with them.

Playable Army: Dark Angels - 2.000 Points Deathwing - 1.500 Points Ravenwing - 7.000 Points 3rd Company
Imperial Guard: in progress. See my WIP blog for scratch built cardboard Imperial Guard vehicles with an alternative design.
gallery_30308_9518_2534.png

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts
News from the category „what did I learn recently?“
The major task is still painting the three tanks.
The first washes are done - but I think I will try applying only oil washes on the next tank (which I will add on the current tanks during weathering).
But most of the results look ok - but the camera stubbornly refuses to show it, so no photos.

For edge highlights I tried drybrushing and direct application. The former is messy, the latter slow and a little less messy. I think I will use both on future tanks - and drybrushing only on hard edges. Using drybrushing on flat edges had the chalky effect that was to be expected- and with this camo pattern the result is even worse.
You surely already have noticed that contrast in the pattern is quite low - to a certain degree intentional.
I have mixed the two secondary colors with the primary color - at the cost of contrast. But drybrushing reduced contrast even more. Well, I can still say it was intended - and it does not really look bad.
But as soon as weathering comes, washes and pastels will have the same effect on the camo that drybrushing had.
And... I had to do some repairs after edge highlighting with both techniques with a glaze of the base tone... which again reduced contrast.

Now - what did I learn?
On the next tank, I will modify the colors of the camo pattern.
Now, the base color is greygreen.
Secondary are charcoal and sand with charcoal mixed 1:4 with greygreen and sand 4:1 with greygreen. I will make that 1:3 and 6:1 next time to add contrast.
And I will try to work less messy during washing and highlighting... but washes will be done differently anyway.

In the meantime, I experiment with converting plasma weapons to better fit the Eisenkern scale.
Playable Army: Dark Angels - 2.000 Points Deathwing - 1.500 Points Ravenwing - 7.000 Points 3rd Company
Imperial Guard: in progress. See my WIP blog for scratch built cardboard Imperial Guard vehicles with an alternative design.

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

a little progress that is finally barely visible.

The photos look worse than reality... but still, far from finished.

anyway... suggestions for improvement?

gallery_20618_14115_18904.jpg

gallery_20618_14115_19568.jpg

• Noserenda, Bjorn Firewalker and Cadius like this

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 471 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
Absolutely gorgeous. It’s amazing how well the rivets and the paintjob tie it into the Imperial Guard aesthetic!
  • Brother Liteman likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,215 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
The tank is well done.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

no progress since the last painting session - but a close-up to give a better impression on highlights, shadows and the general color.

A shame... lenses and lights soaked op the majority of time since the last step - but due to camera and light, those are outright invisible on the photos.

I am rather excited by a different painting tecnique i tried on the rolled-up tarps, barrels and other stowage - that looks interesting...

At least i think so.

gallery_20618_14115_7217.jpg

• Watcher in the Dark likes this

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

Something different in between... i let myself get distracted.

But still, it IS equipment for the Utgardians.

I see no point in buying complete boxes just to get heavy weapons - and since i already have begun scratch building them for the vehicles, i can just build some fpr the infantry - or so i thought.

So, this is the intermediate result of the first series of test builds for the first type of weapon. The fourth iteration - and the first looking ok. There is still room for improvement, though

So... what is this?

Asked differently: as what kind of weapon would you classify this?

gallery_20618_14115_11238.jpg

gallery_20618_14115_7925.jpg

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

The first tanks are done - for now, at least.

I have a few half-painted additional weapon options in the drawer and maybe i will improve the weathering on Macharius and Basilisk - but first, i have other things to do.

Like the half-finished counts-as-Tauros (still white on the photo below) which still lacks his main weapon and paint.

Here they are in a size comparism shot. Weird but true - even while the angle indicates something else:

Chimera and Basilisk are almost the same size as the Leman Russ. The length difference is only about 1 cm

gallery_20618_14115_37807.jpg

and a shot of the chimera with a Leman-Russ Punisher configuration:

gallery_20618_14115_57710.jpg

and since this is a WIP-Thread...

something WIP.

gallery_20618_14115_21775.jpg

Trouble is... this little bugger will in the end approximately have the dimensions of a Thunderhawk. About 30 cm long... a bit large for a Valkyrie/Vendetta/Vulture - but who cares?

• Naryn and ranulf the revenant like this

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

since the last update, i have been busy... but since it was mostly try&error, the results are less than impressing.

Anyway...

gallery_20618_14115_8142.jpg

i have completed the level-0 structure of the wings - just the right wing on the foto. Needs magnets...

gallery_20618_14115_4203.jpg

And here is an intermediate stage of the cockpit. I wonder if the seat is large enough... For scale purpose with the pilots legs.

The whole section needs to be completed and painted before i put it in the hull from behind.

Thosewho know the Pelican will by now have noticed that i have reduced it in size to almost 50%, making it a one-seater. Just because i did not want it to get much larger than 30 cm in length.

The passenger compartment for 10 soldiers is about the same size as a rhinos interior, so all is well.

• Brother Cristopher and Naryn like this

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Kolgrim DeathHowl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,395 posts

Those tanks are super cool looking, great converting!

• Nostromo likes this

gallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 471 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
Wow, I had missed the last update with painted tanks! Absolutely stunning work. The Pelican is looking quite good too!
  • Nostromo likes this

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

It takes time...
but every few weeks, there is indeed some visible progress.

This was about two (?) weeks ago:
gallery_20618_14115_20302.jpg
gallery_20618_14115_28996.jpg
gallery_20618_14115_40946.jpg

Not really bad... but it looks way too edgy.
So I tried something to make the edges rounder while adding the second layer.
This Photo also shows a first few details from the 3rd layer.
The lines on the second layer will give you an idea what takes me so long - and hints at what will come later.
gallery_20618_14115_19087.jpg

And, as a spontaneous idea, more detailed engine intakes. Just two parts - not counting the casing - that alone took almost a day

Edited by Nostromo, 22 November 2020 - 06:36 PM.

• Azaiel, Brother Cristopher, Naryn and 1 other like this

Brother Cristopher

Brother Cristopher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,032 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The rounded edges make the vehicle detract even further from Imperial aesthetics, but I've gotta say this - I love them. In my opinion, you've made the right choice!

Do you design this by yourself?

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

Thanks - and coming from you, i appreciate it even more.

yes, it was the right decision. But i was really afraid it could go completely wrong - and then the whole model would have been ruined. Such a relief!

And you are of course right with the non-40k aesthetics. It is intentional, as the vehicles are designed after Halo models. The whole army is not very 40k-ish, but part of the project to create a crossover between 4 very different designs* and make it all look as if it might still be a part of th universe.

As for my own design-work... this is very different in each vehicle and on a meta-level, every vehicle is an etremely different kind of project.

The tanks are loosely based on an alternative design study for a Grizzly/Scorpion.

Here i took a few dominating elements and designed the tanks from scratch - and recombined the elements for different kinds of tanks that in the end have a common design vocabulary.

The Macharius is a quite simple hybrid between a Macharius Vulcan and the Halo tank - and the two others are modifications of that concept. In the case of the basilisk again a hybrid that added a PZH-2000 to the genetic pool.

The Bullfrog is based on a beefed-up, modified warthog. No really significant design of my own, just reproduction of a photo to 3D.

The Pelican so far contains the least work from me, since even the base structure is a STL-file i found on the net. Hence the sharp-edged shape (and more 40k-ish) in the previous stage. The purpose here is to find out how much i can improve that base structure and research techniques to achieve that.

Learning. 2D & 3D CAD, geometry, try&error pencil&paper and quite a lot different ways to teach paper obedience.

----

* those 4 designs are:

Mantic GCPS Marines

Halo

Dreamforge Eisenkern

Wh40k

Edited by Nostromo, 17 November 2020 - 06:31 AM.

Nostromo

Nostromo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 469 posts

More details on the surface.

gallery_20618_14115_29217.jpg

That bugger is so huge...

maybe not much longer, but definitely wider than a Valkyrie

gallery_20618_14115_3438.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratch-built, DIY, chimera, macharius, basilisk, papercraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users