New to Grey Knights seeking building advice

Helias_Tancred

Hi all.

I started a Grey Knight force as a small allied force for my Dark Angel army, however its slowly turned into its own army. I'm seeking advice on what else I should add in order to take it from an allied force to a a stand-alone army?

What I have so far includes:

Supreme Grand Master Draigo

Grand Master Voldus

Castellan Crowe

Brotherhood Captain

Nemesis Dreadknight

5 man Paladin squad armed with hammer, sword x3, and a Paladin Ancient with stormbolter

5 man Terminator squad armed with psilencer, hammer, halberd x2, sword, pair of falchions

5 man Terminator squad armed with psycannon, hammer, halberd x3

10 Purifiers armed with Incinerator x2, hammer, halberd, 2 pairs of falchions, and the rest are swords

Rhino

Stormraven

... also any suggestion on how to gear the Dreadknight? Its not built yet.

Oh yeah I have a 10 man Strike squad box that I'm looking to build Interceptors with ....

You are going to want at least 2 Grandmasters in Nemesis Dreadknights.  The most efficient loadout for it is a heavy psycannon, gatling psilencer, greatsword, and teleporter.  These guys are outstanding and once they are on the board they will attract the majority of your opponent's firepower, allowing you to move up the rest of your army, secure objectives, etc.

Since you have a bunch of terminator models you are going to want a few apothecaries, preferably equipped with a hammer because they are ws 2+ (thus hitting on 3+ with the hammers -1).  The apothecaries can also heal your Paladins/Terminators as well as himself. 

In general many GK players take three 5 or 6 man strike squads to secure the battalion for the +3 command points since Grey Knights heavily rely on stratagems (Only in Death, Honor the Chapter, Heed the Prognosticars, etc.)

agreed with above considerations, I love the Crowe model but he's fairly squishy in 8th 

GMNDK are great for smashing tanks anti infantry and are a great distraction while getting your Paladins into CC 

I've been considering a Rhino to rush up the battle field as well, anyone else want to weigh in on transports ?

Razorbacks with AC. They clear chaff for your deepstriking units.

Falchions are the best choices at the moment. The loss of AP is outweighed by the extra attack over the sword.

Also, Crowe hits like a wet noodle. The fact he has no AP means he generally downstairs hit anything. It's cheaper and more effective to have Strikes for the same amount of points.

Edited by Helycon

10 man Strikes are only worth it utilise Psybolt Ammo on them.

Otherwise you're better off having 2 x 5 men.  For the extra Justicar attack, and the extra Smite/Deny.  Plus the extra FoC slot fill for easier Battalions.

Personally, both those outweigh Psybolts.  Save the 2 CP for Psychic Onslaught on your GMNDK, or for two Only in Death Does Duty End.

I always played 3x10 man strike. they are enormously expansive but my alpha strike is awesome. especially with 2 GMDK (one in deep strike and one with gate) and Draigo. 

Using 30 strike this way force you playing very offensive and it is really dangerous against some army in this edition. 

But with 10 man squad you only have to have 3 units on the ground. 

I think that GKSS are our best units. And playing at least 20-25 of them really help.

Drop That to 6 x 5 man, pick up a 4th HQ and run two battalions.

Still get the sane amount for the alpha but twice as many smites.

yes It is amazing but I need 6-8 units in the ground. That's impossible. unless allying IG.

:(

What’s the thought process on the GMDK carrying a sword instead of the hammer? It’s only 5pts more, and since he’s a 2+ he’s still hitting on a 3+ when he moves, and a minimum of 3 damage is a nice punch.

Hammer is more specialized choice. If the target has invulnerable save, sword automatically becomes better. And there is a huge difference between 2+ and 3+ when you roll three out of 5 2s to-hit. Hammer is better when you need a monster\vehicle\character with no invuln 100% dead.

Acolytes in a Razor?

Yes, a solution is a vanguard with inquisitor and 5 acolytes. I used them in my last match. I was scared when we roll NO MERCY mission on Eternal war field. But they survived till the end. I can try to make a list. TY :wink:

I made a sample of list. The fourth QG and an inquisitor + 5 accolytes make the list not really useful.

Basically is Draigo, 2xGMDK full, brother captain, 6x5 PAGK, 2 razor w lascannon inquisitor and 5 idiots. 

Not really fun or competitive. :( But maybe I will try playing it. I have 10 CP. :D

What’s the thought process on the GMDK carrying a sword instead of the hammer? It’s only 5pts more, and since he’s a 2+ he’s still hitting on a 3+ when he moves, and a minimum of 3 damage is a nice punch.

Hammer is more specialized choice. If the target has invulnerable save, sword automatically becomes better. And there is a huge difference between 2+ and 3+ when you roll three out of 5 2s to-hit. Hammer is better when you need a monster\vehicle\character with no invuln 100% dead.

I hadn’t thought about the INV Save impact; makes sense the way you broke it down. So what are your thoughts on the heavy weapons? I’m not a huge fan of D# rolls because of the inconsistency of the number of Hit Rolls, but the Incinerator does look nice on paper.

Incinerators are overcosted, heavy one especially. D6 damage is too random, it is not affected by Psychic Onslaught, only 12" range and costs twice as much as Gatling Psilencer and 10 pts more than a Psycannon. Yes, it autohits, but you already have 2+ rerollable on your GMNDK (usually it will be 3+ with rerolls of 1s but still better than random d6). 

Personally, I regret so much that made my NDK with Incinerator. This 20 extra points always a problem for me to fit into a list. I often simly drop it, living GMNDK with only a Psycannon. 

Incinerators are overcosted, heavy one especially. D6 damage is too random, it is not affected by Psychic Onslaught, only 12" range and costs twice as much as Gatling Psilencer and 10 pts more than a Psycannon. Yes, it autohits, but you already have 2+ rerollable on your GMNDK (usually it will be 3+ with rerolls of 1s but still better than random d6). 

Personally, I regret so much that made my NDK with Incinerator. This 20 extra points always a problem for me to fit into a list. I often simly drop it, living GMNDK with only a Psycannon. 

Only benefit really is autohits on Overwatch (for the heavy version, it's always in range for it, normal incinerator will usually be in range).