Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to doing concrete/road like base

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
  • Faction: Primaris, Eldar

I did a small tut on doing some concrete base on my Plog, i thought you might find it useful so here it is!

1. Choose some cork to add some height to your base and use it as a base for the concrete

S84WHRn.jpg

2. Cut some plasticard and glue it to your cork

nAtLpk1.jpg

3. Trim with a cutter the side of the plasticard to mostly match the cork underneath, make some marks and tears with a cutter or other pointy thing (mind your fingers please)

VGDaeZQ.jpg

4. This step is optionnal but finding a few bits and pieces to matches the idea behind your basework is nice and break the monotony of a plain base.

3Tbikdj.jpg

5. Drown everything in black lava putty from vallejo or any other pumice like stuff, and push your bits and pieces in it. I also added a piece of razor wires because i like it smile.png

LkElfUN.jpg

Cheers

Anamnesis

Edited by Anamnesis, 18 January 2018 - 07:55 AM.

• Tokugawa and Ezr91aeL like this

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg      Follow me for more wip on Instagram     My Primaris Knight of the Chalice, BA successor Plog  My blog Anamnesis minis madness !

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,403 posts

A well presented tutorial! :)

If the cork is completely covered, can't the plasticard be glued directly to the base instead? With the texture paste around it afterwards, I'm not seeing what the cork is contributing besides adding some height (and you could just use a few plasticard scraps or a bit of cheap putty for that).

My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,838 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

You really should change the color of your text to something more visible. 

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

A well presented tutorial! smile.png

If the cork is completely covered, can't the plasticard be glued directly to the base instead? With the texture paste around it afterwards, I'm not seeing what the cork is contributing besides adding some height (and you could just use a few plasticard scraps or a bit of cheap putty for that).

Thanks, the cork is mostly there for stability, since the plasticard is quite thin, i've found that it doesn't stay flat if it don't have a support underneath.

Thought if you don't want the added weight, it's perfectly fine to glue it directly to the base !

You really should change the color of your text to something more visible. 

I'll investigate that, i'ts plain black on white font on my screen huh.png

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg      Follow me for more wip on Instagram     My Primaris Knight of the Chalice, BA successor Plog  My blog Anamnesis minis madness !

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,838 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I've got the default skin on PC with the near-black background and your letters are just barely lighter than the background. At first I didn't even see the writing. 

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

I've got the default skin on PC with the near-black background and your letters are just barely lighter than the background. At first I didn't even see the writing. 

Should be alright now, though it seems to be a problem with the ip board skin. Never had that before...huh.png

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,403 posts

Odd, the text was black yesterday, and today it's barely darker than the board's background (I use the default IPB blue/white skin).

On the subject of the cork, that makes sense. I suppose if you just used some thick plasticard, you could stick it straight onto the base with plastic glue, and it saves you the whole cork step.

Have you tried/considered leaving some of the cork visible? It's got a nice texture, and it seems a shame to cover it all up if you're doing something ruined.

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

Odd, the text was black yesterday, and today it's barely darker than the board's background (I use the default IPB blue/white skin).

On the subject of the cork, that makes sense. I suppose if you just used some thick plasticard, you could stick it straight onto the base with plastic glue, and it saves you the whole cork step.

Have you tried/considered leaving some of the cork visible? It's got a nice texture, and it seems a shame to cover it all up if you're doing something ruined.

Actually, that's interesting. i didn't thought about that!

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

aJ7lwWr.jpg

1. Following the last photo dump on the making of i just undercoat the base black

QKfwDoD.jpg

2. I sponge on the concrete vallejo dark sea blue randomly, then scalecolor bering blue using the samesponge

ypYzUKH.jpg

3.Mix some white with your bering blue and continue sponging until you're satisfied with the effect Keep in mind we'll wash it after so it need to be quite light

mOI6d2C.jpg

4. Paint the sand with rhinox hide

qI0iLls.jpg

5. Drybrush scalecolor gobi brown, then vallejo yvory on the sand

TeZLxwB.jpg

6. Wash the whole base with army painter strong tone, make some pool on the concrete to mix it up

6Y89RFj.jpg

7. To decorate the base, i use some tamiya tape to mark the place i want for my yellow chevron I use a sponge and masking fluid to make some marks so i can rub it off after painting

o4DuujV.jpg

9.Using your sponge lightly dab the place you've masked with scalecolor sahara yellow

8jpa49w.jpg

10. Pull of the masking tape and enjoy the result. Use blue tac to rub of the masking fluid Paint your little piece drowned in the sand with vallejo armour brown Paint the rim black

jmWenkG.jpg

11. Dab some kalahari orange then a brighter orange to make the rust on the pieces Finish by lightly dabbing some metal paint to finish the effect Clean any detail you need now

rWNWUv2.jpg

13. Time to add some effect with different kinds of pigments on the base, i'm using burnt umber, burnt sienna, green earth and some light rust Done !

Edited by Anamnesis, 01 February 2018 - 08:34 PM.

• Knight of Lupus, Kisada, DuskRaider and 10 others like this

infyrana

infyrana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,475 posts

Awesome tutorial - thank you!

• Anamnesis likes this

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 218 posts

Excellent tutorial, thank you for taking the time to create it.

• Anamnesis likes this

Formally known as Brother Ophamion, now ripe with the fetid blessings of Grandfather Nurgle.

Anamnesis

Anamnesis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
Thanks guys :)

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,403 posts

Gorgeous work, thank you for sharing! :)

• Anamnesis likes this

DeadMilkman

DeadMilkman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

I love the way you did the stripes on the concrete, that looks awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

Good gaming!

Wes

• Anamnesis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users