How to doing concrete/road like base

I did a small tut on doing some concrete base on my Plog, i thought you might find it useful so here it is!

1. Choose some cork to add some height to your base and use it as a base for the concrete

S84WHRn.jpg

2. Cut some plasticard and glue it to your cork

nAtLpk1.jpg

3. Trim with a cutter the side of the plasticard to mostly match the cork underneath, make some marks and tears with a cutter or other pointy thing (mind your fingers please)

VGDaeZQ.jpg

4. This step is optionnal but finding a few bits and pieces to matches the idea behind your basework is nice and break the monotony of a plain base.

3Tbikdj.jpg

5. Drown everything in black lava putty from vallejo or any other pumice like stuff, and push your bits and pieces in it. I also added a piece of razor wires because i like it :smile.:

LkElfUN.jpg

Cheers

Anamnesis

Edited by Anamnesis

A well presented tutorial! :)

If the cork is completely covered, can't the plasticard be glued directly to the base instead? With the texture paste around it afterwards, I'm not seeing what the cork is contributing besides adding some height (and you could just use a few plasticard scraps or a bit of cheap putty for that).

A well presented tutorial! :smile.:

If the cork is completely covered, can't the plasticard be glued directly to the base instead? With the texture paste around it afterwards, I'm not seeing what the cork is contributing besides adding some height (and you could just use a few plasticard scraps or a bit of cheap putty for that).

Thanks, the cork is mostly there for stability, since the plasticard is quite thin, i've found that it doesn't stay flat if it don't have a support underneath.

Thought if you don't want the added weight, it's perfectly fine to glue it directly to the base !

You really should change the color of your text to something more visible. 

I'll investigate that, i'ts plain black on white font on my screen :huh.:

I've got the default skin on PC with the near-black background and your letters are just barely lighter than the background. At first I didn't even see the writing. 

Should be alright now, though it seems to be a problem with the ip board skin. Never had that before...:huh.:

Odd, the text was black yesterday, and today it's barely darker than the board's background (I use the default IPB blue/white skin).

On the subject of the cork, that makes sense. I suppose if you just used some thick plasticard, you could stick it straight onto the base with plastic glue, and it saves you the whole cork step.

Have you tried/considered leaving some of the cork visible? It's got a nice texture, and it seems a shame to cover it all up if you're doing something ruined.

Odd, the text was black yesterday, and today it's barely darker than the board's background (I use the default IPB blue/white skin).

On the subject of the cork, that makes sense. I suppose if you just used some thick plasticard, you could stick it straight onto the base with plastic glue, and it saves you the whole cork step.

Have you tried/considered leaving some of the cork visible? It's got a nice texture, and it seems a shame to cover it all up if you're doing something ruined.

Actually, that's interesting. i didn't thought about that!

• 2 weeks later...

aJ7lwWr.jpg

1. Following the last photo dump on the making of i just undercoat the base black

QKfwDoD.jpg

2. I sponge on the concrete vallejo dark sea blue randomly, then scalecolor bering blue using the samesponge

ypYzUKH.jpg

3.Mix some white with your bering blue and continue sponging until you're satisfied with the effect Keep in mind we'll wash it after so it need to be quite light

mOI6d2C.jpg

4. Paint the sand with rhinox hide

qI0iLls.jpg

5. Drybrush scalecolor gobi brown, then vallejo yvory on the sand

TeZLxwB.jpg

6. Wash the whole base with army painter strong tone, make some pool on the concrete to mix it up

6Y89RFj.jpg

7. To decorate the base, i use some tamiya tape to mark the place i want for my yellow chevron I use a sponge and masking fluid to make some marks so i can rub it off after painting

o4DuujV.jpg

9.Using your sponge lightly dab the place you've masked with scalecolor sahara yellow

8jpa49w.jpg

10. Pull of the masking tape and enjoy the result. Use blue tac to rub of the masking fluid Paint your little piece drowned in the sand with vallejo armour brown Paint the rim black

jmWenkG.jpg

11. Dab some kalahari orange then a brighter orange to make the rust on the pieces Finish by lightly dabbing some metal paint to finish the effect Clean any detail you need now

rWNWUv2.jpg

13. Time to add some effect with different kinds of pigments on the base, i'm using burnt umber, burnt sienna, green earth and some light rust Done !

Edited by Anamnesis

• 3 weeks later...