Elite forces

Ichar

No You don't read the dex? So you didn't know about psychic pilot?

We used to have it.

We should still have it.

I said I remember it.

It doesn't matter what you had then, you don't have it now, and I can definitely see some logic behind it (embarked = no powers, just like every other embarked Psyker).

Also, that started with the Ward Dex, so is inherently dumb because Ward made everything dumber, like Michael Bay

But psychic dreads, which are just dudes inside metal boxes, are ok?

And we're not the only chapter to have them.

There's also the Eldar Hemlock Wraithfighter and the Nemesis Dreadknight.

The reason that GW doesn't allow psykers that are embarked to use their powers is because it can result in wonky interactions or imbalanced rules and thus creates more work to clarify what can and cannot be done. This is also the same reason that auras and special rules don't apply while embarked on the transport.

However, by specifically marking that a vehicles pilot is the psyker, you will then know exactly what their powers and abilities will be.

Making all GK vehicles have "psychic pilot" wouldn't break the game and is lore friendly. GK vehicles are already made differently to regular Space Marine vehicles, for example, they all have "True Silver Armour". It would make sense that a GK vehicle would have the necessary functionality to allow its psyker pilot to use their psychic powers. I'm also sure there are books that talk about it, but I can't seem to remember which one.

I think thousand sons are going to actually be quite good. They’ll have good shooting powerful Psykers, and — most importantly— a cheap screen unit for board control with Tzaangors. It’s something that GK sorely need and why so many armies combine with guard for conscripts or marines for scouts. Custodes will suffer from that as well, though at least they have a small bonus for being included in a soup list.

I think thousand sons are going to actually be quite good. They’ll have good shooting powerful Psykers, and — most importantly— a cheap screen unit for board control with Tzaangors. It’s something that GK sorely need and why so many armies combine with guard for conscripts or marines for scouts. Custodes will suffer from that as well, though at least they have a small bonus for being included in a soup list.

The article says they have 18 Psychic Powers. That's one way round the rule of one.

Custodes are going to ruin us. We'll never do anything to them in the shooting phase, they have protection in the psychic phase and they can sabotage our charge phase AND jump ahead of us in our fight phase.

Another nail in the Grey Knights coffin.

They don't really have any protection in the Psychic Phase.

A Warlord Trait for a single Deny, that locks out better traits.  And a 1CP per Deny Strat (so only one per Phase), for a total of only 2 Denies.

That's not really protection. ;)

Without Allies, of course.

But anyway, our Psychic Phase won't touch them.  Not with our baby Smite and the incoming beta nerf to Smite casts.

Armies like Eldar or Nids however, with 45 point Spirit Seers, Super Zoan Smites (and lets not even consider Biovores!) will ruin the AC. ;)

I don't understand why GW nerfed commisars then released the better vexila to use on conscripts.

Because now they can sell Custodes. MORE CUSTODES.

A Warlord Trait for a single Deny, that locks out better traits.  And a 1CP per Deny Strat (so only one per Phase), for a total of only 2 Denies.

That's not really protection. :wink:

But anyway, our Psychic Phase won't touch them.  Not with our baby Smite and the incoming beta nerf to Smite casts.

Armies like Eldar or Nids however, with 45 point Spirit Seers, Super Zoan Smites (and lets not even consider Biovores!) will ruin the AC. :wink:

I'm thinking that actually GK could be a great ally for Custodes. We have psychic power, the don't. We can deep strike, they not really. Draigo, DMGK and 30 pagk could be great for 6 jetbike + shield captain in jetbike. they give us mobility and anti tank. 

I don't understand why GW nerfed commisars then released the better vexila to use on conscripts.

Because GW is pushing the mixes/soups since the first 8th edition Indexes.

@Danarc, seems like a good choice to do so. Leads to an extremely elite army though which in the current meta isn't ideal. I personally feel the strongest allies (because it's the strongest Imperium faction without Primarch) are still Astra Militarum.

That's not really protection. :wink:

Armies like Eldar or Nids however, with 45 point Spirit Seers, Super Zoan Smites (and lets not even consider Biovores!) will ruin the AC. :wink:

They have a rule (Aegis of the Emperor) that allows them to ignore Mortal Wounds caused by Psychic Powers on a 6. It's not much but they all have it.

8th is not about elite armies now. Top of the meta now are devastating shooting, infinite hordes and mortal wound spam. Custodes seem to be pretty good against other elite armies like GK, because they eat everything in CC. But still with right list GK can win by mission, because Custodes are very easily outmaneuvered. And we still have gate and interceptors, so as soon as we can get rid of the bikes, we are fine against them. We still have stormravens, lasrazors and vendreads. And (unless you're my mates from club) 4++ will not protect them from high power shooting forever. If their bikes are dead, they can do nothing to Flyers at all. Seriously. 6+ FNP is puny defence against MW. It would be formidable, if it was 5+, but 6+ is more like a pleasant bonus, than something you can rely on. They seem better against hordes, but they still have to spend a turn or two to clear large blobs of guard or horrors. Orks, probably, will suffer because they kill things with hordes. But for armies with expandable chaff this means nothing. 

Custodes are one of the worst standalone armies right now. I do not understand why people hype about them so much, like hero and vexilia auras are infinite and permament, and their CP will never end. They have no means of getting to close combat where they shine - just compare to GK, and GK still struggle. Bikers are only good ranged anti-vehicle and anti-air unit. Armies like eldar can kite custodes forever. But they are formidable as allies. Very strong counter-charge for stand'n'shoot lists. And, of course, Vexilia + Guard. Bikers would be good for GK (AV and maelstrom) if not their cost for already expensive army. Worth give it a try, though.

Because the tax on adding one is pretty hefty. It'll either cost you a CP, or a ton of points.

1CP For guard is nothing.

Corvus, AC will ds single Allarus termies in each objective.

While the bikes zoom round.

Still, it's more of a tax than a cheapo commissar.

If you send your ~250 pts unit sitting on an objective for the whole game, you doing something definitely wrong.

you do know you can have a single Terminator as a unit?

Guard already has two options for cheap fearless (inqusitor for 55 + 3x 8 pt acolutes,.or primaris psykers) and they don't get used, since you can just buy another squad for that cost. So buying a 250+ pt is absurd, as that's 6 squads of Guardsmen.