The Humble Poxbringer

radionausea

I'm building a fun Nurgle Daemmonkin list for a game on Sunday. It has Mortarion just because I've finally (almost) finished him and want to bring him out to play. But because I have so many daemons he's not my warlord.

So I looked at the ol' favourite the Herald of Nurgle as my warlord.

He's...not actually that bad y'know.

Strength 5 (6 from his own aura), give him Corruption and he's S8 re-rolling all wounds. Already hitting on 2s but since I'll be running him in the centre of a block of Plaguebearers who'll be with a Scrivener he'll also get +1 to hit, and +2 movement because he has Plaguebearer and Infantry keywords.

I'll be playing against 'nids so won't be up against any vehicles. Which makes.my choice of warlord traits either +1 to wound or -1 to hit.

It was a nice surprise seeing how well he can work. Just a shame about only 3 attacks.

Edited by radionausea

That sounds like a tasty combo! I am definitely going to try it out!

It almost would have been nice if some of these heralds were elite choices, a nurgle army is quite HQ heavy now!

Even better, take a few more Nurglings to get another 3 CPs for a Battalion :yes:

On Topic:

The Herald looks amazing, I agree. You can even boost him further with some psychic powers.

Regarding Warlord Trait I would skip the +1 to wound. You will wound most stuff on 2+, bigger things on 3+, and Corruption already allows you to reroll wound rolls. I think +1 to wound might be overkill most of the time with S8 reroll wound anyways.

For a Herald I would maybe consider the +1W trait, bringing him up to 5 wounds. Maybe not that important against Nids, but a more sniper heavy armys can sting a 5W 5++ 5+++ Model. If not, the -1 to hit within 7" looks like the most usefull one to me.

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

• 3 weeks later...

But then again, why not take a Prince who is one of the best units we have got?

The thread starter mentioned fun list, so I don't think they are trying to go for purely what is the statistically the best option, more of a discussion on the Poxbringer.

Back on topic, I am a big fan of the Poxbringer, it always finds a place in my army when using the Daemons, if he is my warlord I would go for the 1- to hit within 7 inches, since I like getting him in combat along side the Plaguebearers.