Those of you who use Primaris in your army

Azaiel

I´ve seen in other threads here mentioning both Hellblasters and Reivers being used in your army lists.

What options (weapons/equipment) do you use for these units and why?

Is it worth getting only 5-man units or should I go for the full ten? 

I dont have the space marine codex but thinking of buying it and some Primaris.

I dont have the space marine codex but thinking of buying it and some Primaris.

I'd definitely suggest doing so first, as it's hard to explain some of the key points regarding Primaris marines without a reference, as it were :smile.:

In either case, I run Reivers with the standard Bolter Carbine as it gives them better reach and they're honestly not as tough in melee as the background material would have you believe.  They're best as a backfield harassing unit and can occasionally pick out an opponent's support Character to beat up, so with this in mind I'd consider the Grav-chutes required kit.

Hellblasters only have 2 options: the Heavy Plasma Incinerator has better hitting power but slows them down and gets less shots in general, not to mention it costs more points.  Leave them behind.  Assault Plasma Incinerators, however, are useful because they move and fire without penalty, have a better maximum range for full effectiveness than the standard Plasma Incinerator (18" versus 15") and can Advance and fire if needed.  Their downside is significantly reduced hitting power, making them less useful versus hard targets but generally superior for slaughtering other MEQ units.  For my money, however, I like to leave the Hellblasters as is because the basic Plasma Incinerator has excellent overall hitting power, is reasonably mobile and doesn't cost you any extra points.

As for how many dudes to take, I prefer to leave my units minimum sized because it helps to fill out Detachment requirements and you get extra Sergeants if you do so.  The only real reason to take full size units is to take advantage of some deployment shenanigans (ie. trying to finish deployment first for the bonus on first turn), but with such an elite army anyway I doubt this will often be a problem unless Custodes become the new meta-army :P

Edited by Vel'Cona

So all of them definitely have their uses and synergy. I would say Reivers and Hellblasters are the easiest to synergize in most lists (campy, assault, etc.)

Reivers:

- Great for mid game objective capturing

- Great for linebreaker

- Great for trying to tie up backline fire support units, distracting/diverting fire

- Easy 100 pts filler

- I prefer carbines on mine but if you plan to charge them, knives might serve you better

Hellblasters:

- Cheapest heavy support option (for those who like to include forgeworld relics)

- Great at hurting vehicles (could straight up kill in some cases) and shredding infantry

- The only transport is the (expensive) Repulsor but could be mitigated if you pair them with the Angelic Beacon relic

- The assault version is good if you plan to walk them across the board and still get the max amount of shots

- The default blaster is the better choice because you can overcharge at Str 8, which really hurts most vehicles/transports/monsters

- The heavy version gives you the best range (1 shot instead of two) are good when paired with a watchmaster, but aren't to great when they are forced to move

- Starting with 5 will still be helpful for most lists, you could try for 10 and use the Angelic Beacon with a jump pack (deep striking) Captain - there's definitely potential to take down tanks and really hurt super heavies.

Repulsor - expensive but lots of fire power and the only transport for primaris; I'm not a fan personally because I would rather make room for a Corvus Blackstar

Aggressors - if you want lots of bolter equivalent fire, these guys are your best choice; mobility is your only limitation

Intercessors - Now cheaper then naked kill teams (pure bolter veterans); if you want want more troop choices and you just want bolter guys, consider intercessors

Inceptors - Deep striking heavy dakka; I deep strike plasma inceptors with a Captain (reroll 1's) and use the angelic beacon to pull my hellblasters over in the same phase - best way to destroy something high toughness

Primaris Capt - 1 extra wound and great for camping in the back (i use the stalker bolter); if you want to walk him, then use the other gun

Primaris Librarian - 1 extra wound but has to walk everywhere; great for the backfield but you would get better use out of him on the front lines.... probably stick to a regular/termie/jump pack librarian

Primaris Hellblasters are probably your best 'swiss army heavy' for deathwatch. you could load them up for shorter range but more mobility, or set them up with longer range and harder hitting. try out a squad of 5 and see how it goes. They can be excellent for punching through monstrous creatures and vehicles, and chewing through high armor save targets. If you plan on making use of supercharging though, make sure you have a captain to sit in aura range of them so you can reroll those 1's.

Also, deathwatch librarians and chaplains cant take jump packs. So you either have to hoof it across the field or have a transport around to move them (razorbacks or corvus).

Intercessors with assault boltguns can be brutal, but if you need more marines to deny deepstrike territory go with regular vets with stalkers and use poison ammo.

keep in mind that if you ARE going to go primaris deathwatch, you wont have access to SIA, you will need not just the index but also chapter approved, and primaris cant use most standard transports, so you only have the repulsor, which is pretty much a floating land raider.

Reivers arent bad, and fairly cheap overall, but I would use them to deep strike and tie up gunline units. Having 2 wounds, 2 attacks standard, grav chutes (get them, they are cheap) and grappling launcher. They are not your intercessors and they are not your hellblasters, they are effectively throw away units to either grab objectives or tie up units. Your hellblasters and intercessors are going to be the most important units. Bring a Redemptor or two if you need a heavy weapons platform that can deal with everything (anti-air, can be a beast hunter or infantry hunter, can soak a lot of damage).

Also, deathwatch librarians and chaplains cant take jump packs.

Actually, you can take deathwatch jump pack librarians as of chapter approved :smile.:

In case this isn't a joke. that was a misprint and meant to be Librarian in Terminator armour. Unless for some strange reason, we lost that and gained jump pack Librarian. Considering the point of Chapter Approved though, common sense says no.

Also, deathwatch librarians and chaplains cant take jump packs.

Actually, you can take deathwatch jump pack librarians as of chapter approved :smile.:

In case this isn't a joke. that was a misprint and meant to be Librarian in Terminator armour. Unless for some strange reason, we lost that and gained jump pack Librarian. Considering the point of Chapter Approved though, common sense says no.

Index states : Deathwatch Librarians and Chaplains may not be equipped with jump packs. It also states that a deathwatch chaplain cannot be equipped with a powerfist, Deathwatch librarian in terminator armor cannot be equipped with a storm shield.

In the chapter approved, they put the points for a librarian with a jump pack, but you still cant take a chaplain with a jump pack.

Index states : Deathwatch Librarians and Chaplains may not be equipped with jump packs. It also states that a deathwatch chaplain cannot be equipped with a powerfist, Deathwatch librarian in terminator armor cannot be equipped with a storm shield.

In the chapter approved, they put the points for a librarian with a jump pack, but you still cant take a chaplain with a jump pack.

....ok? I don't see how this continues the discussion.

These are the facts bud: Chapter approved are changes for indexes and codexes while adding new content (missions/expansions).

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/)

Chapter approved 2017 added an entry for a librarian with a jump pack, and its point value, under the deathwatch section. Similarly they did this with Primaris marines, which we already knew about from an official PDF they released a while back. (Fortunately, we got the points reduction like everyone else.) If you have CA, you can take a librarian with a jump pack and the indicated Primaris marines. Also to prove it, there is no change in the chapter approved Erreta they came out shortly after.

The Terminator librarian was already in our army entry (Index) and there were no changes to his points or usage.

Edited by Mobius0288

Take into account the facts:

- Chapter approved was meant to alter points. Not add or remove wargear/unit options. I doubt DW was the special snowflake of every army.

- Primaris were not added as a part of CA. They were already a part of our army, but not in the index because they could not be taken by DW when it was first released. Which is why they aren't in our Index, but in the CA.

- There were other misprints as well for other factions, but I lost that list and can't remember the exact units. People were joking about it on other boards.

- Librarian in Terminator Armour had point reductions for every other SM. For some reason, the same entry for DW didn't get this point reduction and somehow Jump Pack Librarian pops in? Possible. But unlikely unless we are the special snowflakes of the entire CA.

If someone really wanted to exploit a relatively obvious mistake, that's fine and I wouldn't argue against it since it is indeed there. I personally won't ever exploit someone's mistake in any setting, but I don't tell others what to do. I'll roll my eyes a little and let it go in this case.

You're welcome to treat it as a mistake my friend, but it's written in the book under DW and it wasn't addressed in the Erreta. It's legitimate until addressed in a following Erreta.

Sorry OP, hope the discussion on Primaris was helpful for you. Definitely has some synergy with certain units.

Aggressors, they are one of the best anti horde units in the game. They are slow and only shoot 18, but can advance and fire at no penalty. Also using the Beacon Angelus with a captain/lib in coming in from reserve, you can get crazy good positioning.

Due to their movement speed you need to make sure you deploy them safely.

Versus AM/Orks, Aggressors have more than made their points every game.

PS: They have power fists, so feel free to shoot chaff and charge tanks.

• 1 month later...

Argh....we didn't get the Primaris Dread? Darn it, I just built 2....

Well you could take a <chapter> detachment with your deathwatch, a tech marine with 2 redemptors (or grab a third or some other elite like vanguard) for vanguard detachment, and then make the rest of your list deathwatch.