Black Library Open Submissions.

What I consider my best is the stuff that I sincerely doubt I could push through the editorial if I had the clout comparable to Abnett. This is mercenary work more than anything else.

I would go for it. What are they going to do, reject you?

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

-Wayne Gretzky

In this scenario, I think passion, enthusiasm, and quality go a LONG way. You want to show them what you’re capable of. If you’re capable of moving a grown Astartes to tears with your Ballad of Munitorum Recaf Barista #939547...then by all means go for it.

While not quite insights from the publishing or editorial worlds, as a recruiter in the global corporate world I can’t tell you how often someone’s side work or personal website carry the day.

Time to develop the fluff behind my Inquisitor who hates Primaris and is convinced Guilliman is an Eldar pawn.

Isn’t that canon?

I have good hopes for all of you! If they can hire Nick Kyme to keep writing stories, whatever you write will be much better!

If it were canon he wouldn't have to develop it himself, no? :D

Guilliman is as much an Eldar pawn as everyone else they used for their plans regardless of whether the person knows about it or not and of course there are always radical Inquisitors who have their own opinion about things. ;)

What I consider my best is the stuff that I sincerely doubt I could push through the editorial if I had the clout comparable to Abnett. This is mercenary work more than anything else.

I would go for it. What are they going to do, reject you?

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

-Wayne Gretzky

In this scenario, I think passion, enthusiasm, and quality go a LONG way. You want to show them what you’re capable of. If you’re capable of moving a grown Astartes to tears with your Ballad of Munitorum Recaf Barista #939547...then by all means go for it.

While not quite insights from the publishing or editorial worlds, as a recruiter in the global corporate world I can’t tell you how often someone’s side work or personal website carry the day.

You see, here's a thing: The stuff I consider my personal best are my works heavily focused on the Emperor of Mankind.

There is no way in hell they are going to publish those.

I do intend to send something their way... but I'm also a realist. Certain things are just not fit for initial recruitment.

Time to develop the fluff behind my Inquisitor who hates Primaris and is convinced Guilliman is an Eldar pawn.

Isn’t that canon?

I have good hopes for all of you! If they can hire Nick Kyme to keep writing stories, whatever you write will be much better!

Guilliman is as much an Eldar pawn as everyone else they used for their plans regardless of whether the person knows about it or not and of course there are always radical Inquisitors who have their own opinion about things. ;)

I was going to make an inquisition story about a rogue trader whose family got into some naughty trading that they shouldn’t have and had the option to work for the Ordo Xenos or get blammed. Sort of a gangster turned FBI...but it felt a bit tropish.

I think the hardest thing isn’t the background and cool ideas, it’s trying to create a cogent story with meaning.

Isn’t that canon?

I was going to make an inquisition story about a rogue trader whose family got into some naughty trading that they shouldn’t have and had the option to work for the Ordo Xenos or get blammed. Sort of a gangster turned FBI...but it felt a bit tropish.

I think the hardest thing isn’t the background and cool ideas, it’s trying to create a cogent story with meaning.

Rogue Traders are too high level, knock it down to like a single sector merchant guild. Make it obscure as heck. That would be sick.

• 4 weeks later...

The part of I keep going back to is “just gives us a sample of your best writing.”

That part annoys me, to be honest. If I'm going to write a submission like that, I'm going to write what I think editors would like, not what I think is my best writing.

I'm quite the opposite in attitude, actually.

If they aren't interested in what *I* feel is my best effort, I probably wouldn't like writing for them to begin with.

I mean, look at the 40k authors whose work you enjoy. Yes, they are expected to work within the framework of an established universe, but each author has their own distinct style.

A book by ADB reads very different than a book by Abnett or Wraight.

It's entirely possible that a good quality author doesn't fit with a publisher like BL simply because of style. It's nothing to worry about or feel like you're a failure.

As an example, pacing is something I imagine (from reading their novels) Black Library are hot on and if you (Like me) take your time moving forward you just might not be right for each other. Even Stephen King wouldn't likely make it into BL without changing his style somewhat.

Ultimately though, if you want to write for someone like Black Library or any other company's IP then you have to consider adjusting your style to suit their requirements at least partially. It's the choice we make.

I actually don't know if my style would be a good fit. Hence why I'm submitting.

On another note, I waited to actually type out my submission to see if I was still as excited about the idea as I was when I had it. I've found that I lose interest in a lot of ideas as time passes, and can't give it my all if I'm not fully invested in it.

I still am, so the writing process begins.

mpQlnNl.png

lol, the outright contradictory nature of this IP will never cease to amaze me. Guess I'll send 'em some of my Night Lords stuff...

Make it Slaanesh Night Lords. :D

mpQlnNl.png

lol, the outright contradictory nature of this IP will never cease to amaze me. Guess I'll send 'em some of my Night Lords stuff...

Lol 10 shades of grey, not the full 50 :P

But a good writer should be able to circumnavigate that. Though I am in the same boat that there should be some more adult versions of the 40k universe. Not in the leather and chains way, but violence, language, etc.

Write it from the view of a non-Marine who deliberately looks away when something too hardcore happens. :P

Is assault marine sgt McStompyface using that traitor’s intestines as a jump rope?

“Think happy thoughts. I’m in a happy place, I’m in a happy place...”

I think the important part to that sentence is "gratuitous".

Well yeah obviously, but when your read anything involving daemons written by Ben Counter one has to wonder where this 'gratuitous' line exists. I seem to recall a putrefying wall of necrotic flesh made from the fused remains of every prisoner in an insane asylum that rolled through the hallways making the sound of tearing fleshing and endlessly splintering bones that ate/dissolved various members of the Soul Drinkers renegade chapter. 

40k is essentially a mix of 'Hellraiser' 'Event Horizon' and 'The Thing' all of which aint for the kiddos lol.

I think the line is drawn in the description details. If you say "they were torn asunder by the bolt shells" you are going to be fine whereas if you describe it in slow motion how each organ is exposed then pulled out, well you've probably crossed the line.

Basically leave it up to the reader's imagination if in doubt.

(I know I'm a little hypocritical in this as my own story gas some minor gore depiction but I think I skirt the line fairly well.)

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly not going to be able to make it.  Moved house and then three days later went to Iceland for nearly two weeks and am just now catching up on life.  I tried to pen some of one of my two ideas during my trip, but no dice.  I made it to the second round during the last open submission, so I'm bummed.

Oh well...two more years and maybe they'll open up again!

Archived