Help confirming when these novels are set.

welshrat

Ive spent the last year re reading the heresy novels from the start and after break looking to dip back into 40k but a bit lost with whats current and whats pre dark imperium.

Dark imperium is the last novel ive read so looking to read the best ones around this period but no idea were they are placed so hoping someone can help.

The novels on my list are

Dante

Devastation of Baal

Carrion throne

The Assassination of Gabriel Seth

Castellan

Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne

The warmaster

Black Legion

Renegades of elysia

Clone lord

thanks

So these novels/audio dramas take place across a variety of time frames. Some are pre 40k, others are set just a little bit before Dark Imperium. None of them are set past Dark Imperium, which is currently the furthest the setting has progressed in literary form. Also of note, BL has seemingly moved away from a hard dating system recently, so there aren't specific years attached to most novels.

I lack the auditory focus to listen to audio dramas, so I can't help you with The Assassination of Gabriel Seth or Renegades of Elysia I'm afraid, but someone else on the forum probably can. I'm also unsure as to when Clonelord takes place I now realize. My apologies.

Dante - examines Dante's life from beginning to end. Goes from about 1000 years before present 40k to right up around the start of the Gathering Storm

Devastation of Baal - a post Gathering Storm novel, continues on from Dante

Carrion Throne - set right before the Gathering Storm but very much focused on events on Terra

Castellan - Continues directly on from Warden of the Blade at first, but transports Crowe into the post-Gathering Storm future after a chapter (not a spoiler that's in the blurb of the book on BL's website)

You have Carrion Throne listed again. My guess is you mean The Emperor's Legion? That takes place concurrently with the Gathering Storm, showcasing events from a Terran perspective.

The Warmaster - keeps with the timeframe of the other Gaunt's Ghosts books. Late 700s of M41. Completely unconnected to the changes in the universe at large.

Black Legion - Like Talon of Horus it details the rise of the Black Legion. Takes place around mid-late M31 as the first Black Crusade was 781.M31.

Edit: to summarize: read Dante before Devastation of Baal and Carrion Throne before the Emperor's Legion. Otherwise the best reading order is entirely at your discretion.

Edited by cheywood