Vosogoth Dynasty

Tyriks

• 4 weeks later...
I had it looking pretty good, but when I moved it was the only model that broke. Haven't had time to fix it yet. It hasn't done great for me in games though, to be honest, it usually is the only scary thing I have on the table so it gets shot up too quick.

Lol at buy a second. That sucks to hear it broke. On paper it looks like it would be really good. But it makes sense that it would eat all the shooting.

Still looking forward to seeing completed pictures once it’s back in one piece.

• 1 month later...

So, I pledged two DDAs for the ETL.  I'm posting some wip shots mostly so you guys can see how some of the contrast paints look over metallic bases instead of the grey seer/wraithbone.  I had date night with the wife so I didn't have much time to actually work on them today, but this is Shyish Purple over Leadbelcher spray.  Took exactly 22 minutes to paint these from the time I sat down to the time I finished rinsing my brush.  Getting my armies painted suddenly seems doable!

Cn7N3OX.jpg

8P8O6fo.jpg

I've been testing a few colors, and so far most look really good over metallic bases.  Magos Purple did not, but I might not have put it on heavily enough.  I might try that one again.  It looked very similar to a heavy wash of Druchii Violet over Leadbelcher.  Talassar Blue, Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers Red look GREAT over metals.  I'm probably going to use the reds to paint my Thousand Sons in a Heresy inspired scheme, it looks really good.  I have more colors to try, just haven't gotten around to them or don't have a need for them to go over metallic bases.  Also, side note, the grey seer primer is AMAZINGLY smooth.  I can't believe how well it goes on!

EDIT:  Also, FWIW, I think the pictures above don't show how well the metallics show through the Contrast paint.  It looks better in person for sure!

Edited by Tyriks

Dang I kinda wish I was just starting my Necron army, that looks downright good to me! Jeeze I would have 1000% done something like this instead of matte black.

Can't wait to see that finished. It gives a very cool effect for Quantum Shielding as well.

Thanks! I'm kind of stalled on them right now, mostly because I can't decide what pieces should be what color. I got blue for the gems and orbs but it might be too bright a shade next to the very dark purple. The Magos Purple is too light for it, I think. Maybe I'll do talassar blue and if I don't like it later (when I'm able to get darker blues) I can fix it. Edited by Tyriks

I have been really liking talassar blue. Every time I see it used it shows wonderfully, I could even see me putting down a bit of white in the undercoat to help energy highlights show up.

Looking at this on my computer monitor now and I'm loving the purple even more. Maybe paint purple on the spine over to the bend, leave the circular part that mounts the flayer array silver?

Do you think Shyish Purple could be diluted with the Contrast Medium and applied over Greyseer to get a lighter, for lack of a better word "chalkier", looking purple? That tint is perfect but I'm looking to do a lighter look for my Tyranids and the Magos Purple looks a bit too pink to my eye.

Edited by NTaW

great work tyriks (not to derail your thread) but i tried militarum green on some warriors to see if it would work for Mephrit...but it didn't sway me :unsure.:...perhaps over bone and not metal next time for a proper green colour,i will try the red next on my Wraiths as they are Novokh and might contrast well with some white ...

your purple is great,i was looking on my phone last night when i commented but seeing it on a large screen makes it look even nicer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

Mithril 

I am trying FT Red over Leadbelcher for Heresy style Thousand Sons.  I like it a lot but as NTaW said Tallasar is also great so I'm torn.  But FT Red looks VERY good over a metallic!

So, I had some time today.  DDA one is not done, but I'm saying it's done for now.  Turns out all my Leadbelcher that isn't spray dried up at some point while it was packed away for the move, so I can't touch up what I need to in order to move forward on this one, so I'm gonna start the second one for now and come back to wash and spot-clean this one.  NTaW, check the orbs and such on this - it's Magos Purple with two coats, looks MUCH less rosy pink and more like a rich purple.  I might do a test model with two coats of Magos and a light wash of Druchii Violet.

6Wm10cV.jpg

eIJpyRT.jpg

This has also made me realize that while my lighting setup is good for playing and painting it doesn't look good for pictures - need to look into that later.  I promise these look better in person, though!  I'm also struggling to paint what I vowed because I want to experiment and try some Praetorians and characters.  But I'm holding firm and leaving everything that could be ETL eligible untouched for now.  Need to prime a bunch of stuff sometime!

Edited by Tyriks

I had a little hiccup - I never gave the second DDA a head. I don't like them all having such a distinct head with no options. I'll put that head on a character to spice it up a little. All my bits boxes were still packed up so I ended up unpacking more stuff instead of painting. I found some Praetorian heads though so she's good to go now. I think I'm too busy to paint tonight but I'm having the guys over for hobby night tomorrow. Maybe if I'm diligent I can knock the whole second DDA out in one sitting, now that I have the basic idea finished. That would be a first for me for sure! I don't think I've even gotten a character done in one go before, so it's a challenge I want to shoot for.

I ended up having a little over an hour to paint tonight so I started on DDA number 2. I wanted to add more color and I'm glad I did. I will probably go back on the other one and add some more. Still need to do all the Magos bits and then some cleanup before washing it but I made more progress in an hour than I would have in a week before.

qeMO3WN.jpg

Edited by Tyriks

I ended up having a little over an hour to paint tonight so I started on DDA number 2. I wanted to add more color and I'm glad I did. I will probably go back on the other one and add some more. Still need to do all the Magos bits and then some cleanup before washing it but I made more progress in an hour than I would have in a week before.

Now this is what we want to hear :thumbsup:  i'm in the same Ark, speeding along with my vow...i too have used contrast as the base layers and it's sped things up remarkably well.

look forward to more updates...sooner rather than later :tongue.:

Cheers, Mithril

I've been making steady progress on my second vow. Pics below. I need to decide how to do some details now. The Praetorians so far just have their blades done, need to decide how to paint the rest. The Lord isn't looking good - I don't know if the fact that it's finecast has somehow changed it but the paint doesn't seem to be going on right. I might reprime it and see if that helps.

I'm very happy with how the Cryptek is coming along. I'm not sure if I should do his cloak bits with Magos Purple (the lighter, pinker shade) or just some nuln oil. I used flash for these pictures to show off how the metal shows through the contrast, which wasn't showing well in previous pictures. It definitely looks metal.

Su38y0z.jpg

beq5y6c.jpg

WkjJDxw.jpg

xSrelRZ.jpg

Usi9VAz.jpg

Edited by Tyriks

That looks really quite shiny still through the Contrast. I agree with Mithril that Nuln Oil may be your better choice, it could offer a different look without too much purple. I don't know if you have any gloss Nuln but that could be interesting here as well since you've achieved a shine everywhere else.

I do really like it when I use it. I used it on my Seraptek (which I now need to decide if I should start over or not...) and it does bring detail out without darkening the model, I think.