Vosogoth Dynasty

Tyriks

I do really like it when I use it. I used it on my Seraptek (which I now need to decide if I should start over or not...) and it does bring detail out without darkening the model, I think.

Oof that's a tough call on the Seraptek. How far along painting it are you?

That's good to gear about the gloss wash. I'm thinking of using it for the project as the purple contrast paints and that's sort of exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for doing so much product testing for me pal! :tu: :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, people were previously asking how the Seraptek is. I've used it a few times now with each weapon option, so I feel comfortable weighing in.

It's OK. It's not as good as 3 DDAs. It has a good melee profile but it's damned big and my group loves terrain so I rarely am able to get it through obstacles into CC. Most of the time it ends up posting up somewhere with good LoS and using the threat of CC to keep enemies from getting close.

The first few games, people went after it a lot and let my DDAs blast them to bits. Now people worry about the DDAs and my success rates are dropping. I pair it with a Triarch Stalker often for the rerolls.

Im undecided which guns I like more. I did a lot of math and they're very similar in most circumstances. Actually using it on the field hasn't helped - I find myself wishing I'd brought the other option no matter which I bring. When I bring the Singularity Generators I wind up with smaller targets around I wish I had the transdimensional projectors to shoot at. When I bring the Synaptic Obliterators I find the transdimensional projectors to not get much done or not have good targets.

I wish I'd built it a little more compactly. It really needs CC to make the most of the points but I'm not sure it's been able to charge yet. I think all of the CC I've gotten to do with it was smaller stuff charging it.

Now, all complaints aside, it's a very imposing model, even with my relatively uninspired pose. If you want a fun centerpiece that won't feel like a millstone around your neck when it hits the table, you could do a LOT worse with FW.

That's a pretty positive review I'd say, it's really interesting on paper and looks amazing on the tabletop so I'm glad to hear you find it's worth it. Could it be worth putting into a Supreme Command Detachment so it has access to a Code?

Kind of a shame there can't be the slightest exception made so your model could at least move the breadth of the table, albeit in a restricted way but able to cross to the opposite board edge, every now and again.

Something that may help with the weapon loadout is to just use one weapon regardless of opponent for a few games then switch for a similar period of time. I don't know how often you game with it or how long that may take but you could end up with a better feel for which one you'd rather have after seeing them both in situations previously deemed less than optimal.

That's basically what I did with the guns. I had thought ahead of time I would prefer one, so I used it exclusively for a bit. Then I tried the other for awhile. I think it's a 'grass is always greener' situation.

What would stop it from gaining a Dynasty? I always play Mephrit so it wouldn't matter anyway but I don't see anything limiting it to Supreme Command.

I assumed you were playing it in a Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachment, which is exempt from Dynastic Codes. From pg. 108, above the abilities "Their Number is Legion, Their Name is Death" and "Dynastic Codes":

All NECRONS Detachments (excluding Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachments) gain the following abilities

The only other Detachment that offers a LoW slot aside from a Super-heavy Detachment is the Supreme Command and I didn't think you had two Pylons hiding out in the collection.....or do you?? *cue dramatic music

Oh, I missed that, thanks. I do have a Tesseract Vault but no third option, unfortunately. And at that point it's just about the whole army anyway...

Thanks for the review Tyriks. Terrain limiting movement is definitely a limiting factor on the models effectiveness I had not really thought about, but a major hindrance.

My strategy with this guy would be to deploy him on the line and run at my opponent. With his fast movement and high number of attacks he’s a turn one threat. But if he’s too big to actually get at anything, that’s not a great threat lol.

Any chance your opponents will let you play on planet bowling ball?

Edited by Mr4Minutes

Thanks for the review, doesn't it always seem that way in games, you bring weapon X and it's flakes on you wishing you had weapon Y then you switch it around and Duh ...same thing :huh.: This is the crazy part of 40k that i always think the Math Hammer cheese nerds never understand...random luck :blush.: 

Do you have any pics of the beast on the table with terrain so we can get a sense of it's restricted lack of movement :tongue.:...

Cheers, Mithril

MUi1aaZ.jpg

This is how it was set up this weekend, which is about normal for density of terrain. I host our games so I could set it up more sparsely but pretty much any other time it's better with more, so I don't want to change it just for the Seraptek. It still sees some use, and I don't mind it being a mostly casual game centerpiece. I would hate to bring it anywhere out of the house anyway, haha.

Side note: This weekend, between the Seraptek and 3 DDAs, I blew up a Valiant turn one. Turn two, the same units failed to kill a single Rhino. Got the :cuss to one wound but couldn't finish her off. Hooray for Necron shooting!

Edited by Tyriks

:facepalm:  Masters of technological destruction we are (not). Sounds like you need a third SH option for increased "success".

To me that's an absolute ton of terrain, though I play with less there's more straight LoS blocking stuff around typically (though you achieve much the same effect through density I'm sure). I'd still be nudging a building or two to get a path. LoS/charging ranges work both ways, right? It's aaaalll fair :lol:

Any interest with your group in playing using the city fighting rules since you have that sort of theme going with your terrain?

That is definitely a heavy terrain board, but i like it.

The seraptek looks big, but not crazy huge in the photo. Nice and imposing.

Lol on the masters of techno destruction NTaW. I’ve had a DDA fail to deal a single wound on a friends penitent engine over 3 turns (Terrible to hit and wound rolls ) to finally deal 2 wounds and then proceed to roll double 1s for damage. I know this is a well beaten drum for 8th Ed but random shots plus random damage are not how I like my anti tank weapons.

It looks very well filled with terrain!, i’d Suggest to my mates that every 5 games you have a big city scape set up with a grand avenue down the middle and set the rest out as an actual city block...

It would be cool to have your heavy advancing down the centre of the city and your mates knights?!...advancing from the other direction with all the rest of the forces clashing in the streets to the side!

You could even have a comeback rule for the knights ...if you end up pulverising them!

* it’s funny , as I type this there’s a big excavator in the house next to us demolishing it!! The sounds of a titanic clash outside !!, although it’s like 8:00am tradesmen like to start early (grumpy face)

Anyway glad to see some terrain and the table where it battles, thanks for posting Tyriks

++Edit++

Now that I look at it and see the legs, that’s one big footprint it has, I can see how you’d have trouble navigating through narrow areas!

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

• 3 weeks later...

Vow 5 is off to a good start. All the magos people on this neda a second coat, then I need to touch it all up and wash the silver with nuln gloss, but this isn't bad for one day I think! I tried a new technique on the dark purple. I did one really thin coat and then came in heavy avoiding the edges to try to accentuate the highlights a bit. I'm thinking it worked well!

rt8UCx0.jpg

If I can finish this later or tomorrow I think my vow will be more or less a guarantee.

This man is just absolutely cranking them out!

I envy your free time right now.

as do i ...:dry.: ... :wink.:

looking great there though, the light and dark layers do really work well :thumbsup: (must remember that for the next time i use contrast)

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ that's the Vallejo silver spray right ?...

Edited by mithrilforge

Gunmetal here. I intended to spray gunmetal and use silver to pre-highlight like I've been doing on my chaos knights to great effect, but I decided to try this way since it has such neat panels.

As for free time, I basically haven't done anything but paint lately. My wife was making fun of me over the weekend because for the first time ever I was complaining about not having enough time for video games because I kept painting more than I meant to. I'll probably need a break after the ETL is over! I think after not making much progress for so long and finally being able to knock out models I am not ashamed to put on the table has me super motivated to keep going.

I put some more work in on the Monolith after that pic, it's basically done besides some touch ups. I probably won't have any free time until the weekend unless I can squeeze in a little tomorrow though so the wraiths will still be tight but I should be able to get them done with time to spare.

I've been working on my Triarch Stalkers. I can't decide, though, how I should paint the other legs. I might do the same as the front legs, or maybe in reverse (paint the bottom tips and leave the top part silver). Any thoughts?

VkTnFdi.jpg

I like leaving a lot of silver but I think this is too much.

LPk0Dmg.jpg

I might just try both. I really am torn, haha. I have 3 I'm working on but I rarely (maybe never) use more than 2 in a game so I could do one each way and whichever I like more gets duplicated. My DDAs are slightly different so maybe I should keep mixing it up on vehicles.

Are the purple dice for necrons and the blue dice for thousand sons ?!..

Also nice work on the triarch stalker, do what you said and have 2x the same and one different, that helps when playing big games too...”I’m shooting at mr purple lower legs!”

Cheers, Mithril

So, I've been painting a little each day and trying to finish all my unbuilt stuff at the same time. I had an unopened box of Tomb Blades. I'm not a huge fan of the tomb blade kit so I modified it a bit. I'm not sure it was really worth the time it took, though. What do you guys think? Standard build on the right, modified on the left.

CASDj4r.jpg

I like it a little more but it took about twice as long to make so I'm not sure if I'd be better off just getting them done and hoping for a new kit some day. I have I think one full squad built the "normal" way.