Codex Daemons FAQ

Charlo

so they didnt adress things like mounted heralds of slaanesh? the claws from Heralds on foot do 2 damge, on steed only 1... i just dont get it, i cant even give the relic claws like i can to the one on foot!!  dont understand why the units from the Index didnt migrate to the Codex!?

The best guess for this is an impending release during the summer or incoming holiday season. New models with new rules that take the place of the heralds on chariots. Otherwise Slaanesh just randomly has less HQ options from the Codex. 

On a cynical side, it gives you a reason to buy that Chapter Approved or whatever that will have all the rules condensed. 

On a not-so-cynical side. Their production ability is being pushed to max ATM and were focused on Nurgles new stuff. Slaanesh is the only one left. 

Edited by Armchairarbiter

so they didnt adress things like mounted heralds of slaanesh? the claws from Heralds on foot do 2 damge, on steed only 1... i just dont get it, i cant even give the relic claws like i can to the one on foot!!  dont understand why the units from the Index didnt migrate to the Codex!?

The answer to that is as simple as sad. They didn't include it in the Codex since they aren't selling a box called "Herald of Slaanesh on Steed/Chariot". Same thing that happened to HQs on Bikes and Jump Packs etc. You can still use the Datasheets/options from the Index, however since those have a different weapon they are worse than the one from the Codex and don't have access to the relic etc.

They really didn't need to adress those things. They are pretty clear, just hard to accept.

It’s contradictory to their previous statements regarding keywords va faction keywords, as well as their own promo talk about deep striking Primarchs.

I get the feeling the rules are written by one team, while the FAQ is written by the community team in response to whatever gets most whines.

That’s why we see stuff get nerfed to oblivion (Commissars), only for better abilities to be handed out to later armies (Eldar, Custodes), and why stuff they hype before the Codex release gets nerfed the week after.

Silly.

The best guess for this is an impending release during the summer or incoming holiday season. New models with new rules that take the place of the heralds on chariots. Otherwise Slaanesh just randomly has less HQ options from the Codex. 

On a cynical side, it gives you a reason to buy that Chapter Approved or whatever that will have all the rules condensed. 

On a not-so-cynical side. Their production ability is being pushed to max ATM and were focused on Nurgles new stuff. Slaanesh is the only one left. 

Yeah make it Holiday season, late summer, provided nothing goes wrong elsewhere offcourse. I think there is an EC and Slaanesh boost comming eventually but the real question indeed is when. It could very well be that GW prioritizes other stuff over it. Best hope would be end of this year.

Other than that, yeah I feel BOLS' sometimes cringy articles have a lot to do with this. 

As mentioned before, I don't really see how this unit deep striking option was such an issue when AM can do the same with Leman Russes/Baneblade if they wanted to. Likewise deep striking 10 Terminators + Combi weapons still is far more impactful as deep striking any Primarch or Lord of Skulls for that matter.

We will see how it all ends up. In the end there isn't much we can do about it. I do not believe in complaining through mails, I do think that as mentioned by Withershadow a much smaller team is working on FAQ and the rest goes for design. I don't even thing it's a team working on FAQ. Im quite sure one man would fit the job. Unfortunatly this also means that sometimes bias shines through.

I'm glad they stopped the Mortarion / Magnus deepstrike due to warptime combo being incredibly nasty. You can still use the strat on An'ggrath and Brass Scorpion, I'm guessing the scorpion might get the nerf too though, they probably aren't the most competitive choices but I had loads of success with An'ggrath over 5 games at the weekend at Warhammer World. Edited by swordofmandulis

Yeah it works fine with smaller choices too.

The thing is that especially in An'ggrath's example is that apperantly some Greater Daemons can do it and some Daemon Princes can do it but for whatever reason Primarch Daemon Princes now can't. I'm personally not fuzzed about it but the idea that it was too strong even in the BOLS article was largely mentioned as not being that credible. There are more potent unrestricted options in the game right now.

For whatever reason a lot that havn't played with either Magnus or Mortarion might assume they are on Guillimans levels of survivability. In reality they are not however because in many ways they function like an improved Greater Daemon but for all intends and purposes can still be killed with enough ranged fire.

The only issue I do have with the way 8th is shaping up is that for the most part cheap characters and horde infantry make up the competitive top. If you have acces to cheap heavy vehicles than you can add that too. This doesn't have to be an issue other than the elite-ness of certain models becomming more and more irrelevant. 

Especially with this FAQ I feel getting more smaller models is the only way to go for people who want to play Daemon heavy. 

Edited by Commissar K.

Looks like a perfectly sensible cut to me. Keep the codex lines drawn clean.

The design seems simple - let what's on the field effect what's on the field if appropriate, regardless of Codex, but the Codex should only apply to itself.

It’s contradictory to their previous statements regarding keywords va faction keywords, as well as their own promo talk about deep striking Primarchs.

I get the feeling the rules are written by one team, while the FAQ is written by the community team in response to whatever gets most whines.

That’s why we see stuff get nerfed to oblivion (Commissars), only for better abilities to be handed out to later armies (Eldar, Custodes), and why stuff they hype before the Codex release gets nerfed the week after.

Silly.

The FAQs are written by the rules team.

As per every rules question on FB being answered with a "This is what I believe it to be but I will pass it on to the rules team".

The answer to that is as simple as sad. They didn't include it in the Codex since they aren't selling a box called "Herald of Slaanesh on Steed/Chariot". Same thing that happened to HQs on Bikes and Jump Packs etc. You can still use the Datasheets/options from the Index, however since those have a different weapon they are worse than the one from the Codex and don't have access to the relic etc.

They really didn't need to adress those things. They are pretty clear, just hard to accept.

Difference with the Bikes/Jump/etc is that they ARE selling a current plastic Seeker Chariot model with an Herald option.

They even advertised it on the recent Slaanesh Start Collecting box.

X7MKT9G.png

Difference with the Bikes/Jump/etc is that they ARE selling a current plastic Seeker Chariot model with an Herald option.

They even advertised it on the recent Slaanesh Start Collecting box.

X7MKT9G.png

Yeah but they aren't selling it explicitly as Herald box.

They could at least update the status for the index heralds on the faq, or maybe we will have to wait for the next CA... , they do 1 damage, the one foot one does 2! this weekend my Herald on steed was locked in CC with primaris, and it was frustrating...

Ah well, we work with the stuff we do have right? I mean all in all the status of neither Khorne nor Slaanesh is bad if you feel like going mono God but dont mind mixing up things. Certainly quite some things make sence yet but in the grand spectrum of things I am quite happy with a lot of the options we do have.

Having said that though I generally find Chaos players to be a rather happy folk all changes and things considered. But I think this has a lot to do with the fact that we're used to list mixes and due to the way the game is build up now that's actually rewarded really well. 

Back to the subject though, FAQ is what it is, did what it did. I think that Codex Emperor's Children will be here this year with updated stuff.

Also, that isn't a Seeker Chariot. It's an Exalted Seeker Chariot.

Seeker Chariots only have two Seekers.

Yes it's an Exalted Seeker Chariot because that's the one on the Start Collecting box, but the standard Seeker Chariot also have the option for an Herald.

Here is an extract from the instructions (standard chariot):

ZkseArH.png

Edited by krakjen

Btw my digital codexes just updated.

Daemon Faction Keyword moved to just Keyword for Possessed in both the DG and Chaos Codexes but NOT moved for Plague Drones in the DG Codex nor Obliterators in the Chaos Codex.

No change to the wording in the Daemons Codex Strategem section.

Oh well...

Aren't you supposed to use the latest profile for any weapon? So you should be able to use the index option with the updated profile.

That and I have some ideas that US written Bells of Lost Souls articles are seen as feedback (the article, not the responces given to said article ;) ).

Had a nice battle and talk with a friend of mine who plays Nurgle and DG but in reality the only conclusion I can come with in terms of the 'change' is that the Chaos Daemon book was subject to a rushjob again. I even think that the deep striked stratagem was added in the last moments to basically give a hotfix they know they didn't need to test to understand it would make Chaos Daemons overall a whole lot better.

This hotfix likely didn't thake other Codeci choices in consideration which has lead to the whole Keyword change.

So my opinion about the changes arn't salty other than that I don't completely understand why they where needed. As there wasn't a single tournament that tested in practice how potent deep striking Mortarion, Magnus or a Lord of Skulls actually is... Offcourse on paper we can say it's strong but as agreed upon in the sub-forum also, it isn't like there arn't stronger or compairable strenghts in the game...

In any case I play Khorne and it's all workable for me. It's just that I currently don't understand why Plaguebearers in particular are 7 points also. By Bloodletter, Daemonette and Horror compairison they don't really do anything.

Aren't you supposed to use the latest profile for any weapon? So you should be able to use the index option with the updated profile.

You are, but they changed the name of the Herald/Masque weapons in the Codex.

So you are not allowed to use that new weapon with the Index entries.

That and I have some ideas that US written Bells of Lost Souls articles are seen as feedback (the article, not the responces given to said article :wink: ).

Had a nice battle and talk with a friend of mine who plays Nurgle and DG but in reality the only conclusion I can come with in terms of the 'change' is that the Chaos Daemon book was subject to a rushjob again. I even think that the deep striked stratagem was added in the last moments to basically give a hotfix they know they didn't need to test to understand it would make Chaos Daemons overall a whole lot better.

This hotfix likely didn't thake other Codeci choices in consideration which has lead to the whole Keyword change.

So my opinion about the changes arn't salty other than that I don't completely understand why they where needed. As there wasn't a single tournament that tested in practice how potent deep striking Mortarion, Magnus or a Lord of Skulls actually is... Offcourse on paper we can say it's strong but as agreed upon in the sub-forum also, it isn't like there arn't stronger or compairable strenghts in the game...

In any case I play Khorne and it's all workable for me. It's just that I currently don't understand why Plaguebearers in particular are 7 points also. By Bloodletter, Daemonette and Horror compairison they don't really do anything.

It could also be that they test the Codex's in specific ways that don't bring these kinds of issues up. Perhaps they test that the Codex its self is balanced and fun to play, without trying to include all the soup that goes with it. Then they make a determination on changes based on the broken :cuss the community comes up with. Kind of like how software games are patched.

It's probably the best for an internal codex balance. Would explain why SM Codex seems a bit weaker. I dunno, just a thought!