Codex Daemons FAQ

Charlo

so they didnt adress things like mounted heralds of slaanesh? the claws from Heralds on foot do 2 damge, on steed only 1... i just dont get it, i cant even give the relic claws like i can to the one on foot!!  dont understand why the units from the Index didnt migrate to the Codex!?

Aren't you supposed to use the latest profile for any weapon? So you should be able to use the index option with the updated profile.

Yep, but in this case the type of claws the Codex Heralds have is different to the type Index Heralds have, while the Relic from the Codex specifies that if you take it, you replace the type of claws that Codex Heralds have. Since Index Heralds don't have those claws, they can't replace them, so they can't take the Relic.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur

It could also be that they test the Codex's in specific ways that don't bring these kinds of issues up. Perhaps they test that the Codex its self is balanced and fun to play, without trying to include all the soup that goes with it. Then they make a determination on changes based on the broken :censored: the community comes up with. Kind of like how software games are patched.

It's probably the best for an internal codex balance. Would explain why SM Codex seems a bit weaker. I dunno, just a thought!  

My best guess is that they give it a quick mono test but not with a particular max of Stratagems. 

Because I do agree that if you are in a more casual setting and pre-decide to have fun and not aim to completely defeat your enemy the current set of 8th's outcome works fine.

Thing is really that due to several caps not excisting for cheap stuff that cheap stuff rules the game.  

There's only so much testing that's worth their while, y'know? I know it's probably very cynical, but I look at it like this: Did we buy the books? Do we keep buying models? Then their job is essentially done. Putting any effort into the rules past that point is just icing on the cake, and probably good for the long-term interest in the game but not absurdly important to their bottom line.

Also you will NEVER be able to release something perfect no matter how much you test it on your own. After release way more people than you used to test are going to use the rules and they will always find ways to 'break' them. Some are rather obvious for us active players, most aren't. It's not just for warhammer like that, it's the case for software etc as well. The best testing happens after release and it happens by the customer themselves. That's why a system where you can constantly patch stuff is so important these days.

There's only so much testing that's worth their while, y'know? I know it's probably very cynical, but I look at it like this: Did we buy the books? Do we keep buying models? Then their job is essentially done. Putting any effort into the rules past that point is just icing on the cake, and probably good for the long-term interest in the game but not absurdly important to their bottom line.

That's completely true. However unlike sfPanzer said I'm not of the opinion that you can't predict where things are going if you have Keywords on particular models listed differently as the rest of the Codex. Because the true last check someone should make there is to ask why this is the case. Honestly neat as it was, Possessed, Obliterators, Lord of Skulls etc. make very little sence in having Faction Keyword Daemon (in the past) when litterly all the rest of the Codex entries they are in (barring logically Daemons from former Chaos Daemons army books). 

In the end selling certainly is the most important aspect, but game systems can massively affect that. E.g. Cultists with their return stratagem, Daemonic Troops with their deep strike stratagem and many more. IF the deep strike Stratagem wasn't in Codex Chaos Daemons I wouldn't have got the book, the line or any additional Daemons for 40k purposes. 

There are many entries in 40k but not really as much as seen in software systems. In addition 40k has been around for 25+ years now, so at this moment it's quite a bit strange that especially Keyword changes should still appear. If you can't decide what it should have after such a long period then I don't know who put them there in the first place :wink:

Note that I still hold the same opinion about the initial CSM FAQ/Errata. Daemon Princes get Legion Traits, which is awesome. Index entries for World Eater and Emperor's Children are supposed to be in the Codex aswell. But why wern't they in there in the first place? If we look at a Possessed we see a Space Marine turned Daemonic, not a Daemon turned into a Space Marine. 

Edited by Commissar K.

I'll be honest, most of my games are beer and pretzels with good friends, 50/50 in someones house/garage. If I want my mounted herald or herald in a chariot to have Sloth Claws, they're getting them. It won't even be a conversation with my friends.

Obviously this will be different for ITC monkeys and fanboiz, but I'm here for cool models (and decent rules - which we now have!) and play for the spirit of the game waaaay more than rules. We let fluff guide us, and rules, FAQ, and designer notes stating stuff matter little when it comes to actually getting a game in. We all generally follow and are familiar with the FAQ and what-not, and we agree with and implement some (like the Smite beta rules), but for the most part, we just all want to throw dice.

I'll be honest, most of my games are beer and pretzels with good friends, 50/50 in someones house/garage. If I want my mounted herald or herald in a chariot to have Sloth Claws, they're getting them. It won't even be a conversation with my friends.

Obviously this will be different for ITC monkeys and fanboiz, but I'm here for cool models (and decent rules - which we now have!) and play for the spirit of the game waaaay more than rules. We let fluff guide us, and rules, FAQ, and designer notes stating stuff matter little when it comes to actually getting a game in. We all generally follow and are familiar with the FAQ and what-not, and we agree with and implement some (like the Smite beta rules), but for the most part, we just all want to throw dice.

Depends on the group I guess. Almost all of my games are bnb as well (quite literally even) but we're still following the rules as much as possible. Instead we give more leeway during the game when someone forgot to do something or deciding quick rules question in favour of the opponent or on a d6 roll.

Does utilizing the Denizens of the Warp Stratagem function the same way as deep strike for matched play, i.e. does half the army have to be on the table? Can't find any clarifying information.

It's not just deep strike for matched play, it's all the reserve abilities. So yes it does work the same way.

And those of us with no option other than pick up games at FLGSs against near perfect strangers.

Res- that sucks, hopefully after getting in some pick up games you will be able to find some like minded players, have you tried social media? Usually you can spot posts there, or post something yourself to try to find the right group.

I personally don't like playing with someone who's always "trying out a list for the next upcoming tournament".

I thought a good fix for that deep strike strategem might have been 1 command point per 10 power levels of the unit being deep struck

That way the really brutal combos would get limited as if you strike a absolute monster in then you burn almost all your command points at the beginning of the game

Res- that sucks, hopefully after getting in some pick up games you will be able to find some like minded players, have you tried social media? Usually you can spot posts there, or post something yourself to try to find the right group.

I personally don't like playing with someone who's always "trying out a list for the next upcoming tournament".

Nor do I, and that isn't what I meant. 

I'm fairly new to this local scene, I don't know anyone, I'm much older than most of them and I'm a difficult person at the best of times (I have strong opinions and a big mouth) so for the time being I just play against whatever random showed up.

Edited by Res Ipsa Loquitur

I thought a good fix for that deep strike strategem might have been 1 command point per 10 power levels of the unit being deep struck

That way the really brutal combos would get limited as if you strike a absolute monster in then you burn almost all your command points at the beginning of the game

Would have been an option too, though I think that it works out now okay enough. Though it wouldn't really burn that heavily into CP though. Just indeed more as 2 :) 

In general I just think that Codex Daemons is great for those who want to play mixed Chaos armies and much less interesting who want to go mono. Indeed Denizens of the Warp is the main attrition Daemons have to offer for CSM as it allows for much more tactical depth in placement or general approach of gamestyle, be it melee combat focused, ranged combat focus, attrition focused or a mix of that all. 

It really wasn't about how strong the Stratagem was. They simply fixed a keyword issue they didn't notice before. Aka GW screwed up and gave people false hope. Daemon units and the Daemon faction units should've had different named keywords all along.