Hands of Sacrifice WIP

Bonzi

• 1 month later...

After a long hiatus due to painting fatigue and the drop of the Necron Codex, my BA are back in process.

gallery_55178_12781_344813.jpg

I give you the completed Death Company Drednought, Murderface McKillington. He needs his base switched but I've run out of prepainted Mechanicus 60mm so that's on hold. I've got five jump pack Death Company left to go as well.

• 1 month later...

gallery_55178_12781_537842.jpg

Well it's certainly been awhile since I had any progress to show. I've got almost all of my Jump Death Co. done but I've run out of prepainted Mechanicus bases so I've got to make more to move forward. Here is the Death Co lead by my converted chaplain with a death dread for good measure.

gallery_55178_12781_193068.jpg

gallery_55178_12781_16904.jpg

Here is the testbed model for the Sanguinary Guard which is my next hill to climb. I've got another escalation league coming up this summer and these guys are likely to be my keystone unit(s).

gallery_55178_12781_1391352.jpg

And finally a teaser of some of my Mechanicus terrain which I'm working on for this year's Armies on Parade. I've got a lot of work to do on this but luckily I've got plenty of my Hands of Sacrifice already complete. I'll keep you guys posted as I make progress on this.

The Sanguinary Guard member looks great!

Thanks! Ironically the Sanguinary Guard are proving the quickest and easiest models in the entire army to paint. I am breezing through these guys.

gallery_55178_12781_222583.jpg

Here is a pic of several in progress. Blue base is done. Standard Bearer needs eyes and dry brushing on the red areas. Left two are just base colors before washes or dry brushing.

I need to start taking daylight pics. My desk lamp is terrible. Also need some steadier hands. These shots are really blurry.

Edited by Bonzi

• 5 months later...

gallery_55178_12781_44662.jpeg

gallery_55178_12781_11502.jpeg

gallery_55178_12781_95758.jpeg

gallery_55178_12781_152585.jpeg

gallery_55178_12781_204876.jpeg

gallery_55178_12781_204584.jpeg

I'm still working...I promise. I got side tracked by an Imperial Knight project and my works busy season. This is what I've been working on most recently. Obviously outside of the Aggressor none of these models is fully finished.

I'm excited about the rehabbing of the Xiphon. A friend bought it used, stripped it, repinned and glued it, filled all the gaps and then realized he didn't want it. I got it for a steal but I'm now paralyzed by fear that I'll message it up now that I'm so close to finishing it.

The Sanguinor is still very much in progress. I'm just testbeding his wings to see if I like the look.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.

This was already said before of course, but I have to say again that your color scheme is fantastically unique. Xiphon and Aggressor look great!
I love the charred hull-plate from the lascanon fire. Red tiles on the Sanguinor's base are so very striking and help distribute the red color splashes on the whole model. 

I would say that Aggressor's helmet and fists could use another delicate round of shading, especially the camine one. But maybe it's just the angle of the shot.

Got in a fun doubles game today.  2000pts Blood Angels + 2000pts Dark Angels vs 2000pts Goff Orks + 2000pts Frozen Star Harlequins.  I brought what I tend to call my 'New Hawtness' style list where I bring a lot of new units I've just bought or brought to the painting table.

BA Battalion

Sanguinor (Warlord) (new hawtness)

Captain Smash: shield, hammer, angels wing(death visions)

x5 Intercessors: bolt rifles, grenade launcher, power sword

x5 Intercessors: bolt rifles, grenade launcher, power sword

x9 Tactical Marines: melta bomb, combi plasma, plasma gun

x3 Aggressors: boltstorm + frag (new hawtness)

x6 Devestators: heavy bolter, x3 missile launchers, cherubim (new hawtness)

Rhino: x2 storm bolters

Razorback: twin lascannons, storm bolter, hunter killer missile

Xiphon Flyer  (new hawtness)

BA Vanguard

Techmarine: servoharness, storm bolter  (new hawtness)

x6 Sanguinary Guard: x4 sword, x1 axe, x1 power fist, angelus guns (new hawtness)

x6 Sanguinary Guard: x4 sword, x1 axe, x1 power fist, angelus guns (new hawtness)

Sanguinary Ancient: sword, standard of sacrifice (new hawtness)

Tried some new combos in the game based around new units. 

The Techmarine was a must take because I found him when we were in a random gamestore on a road trip He is a techmarine not typically seen for sale in US stores or websites.  In my game group these finds are called 'Relics' and tend to take special places in our lists.  Loaded up the Techmarine and the Tacticals in the Rhino because I didn't really have anything that needed a repair buddy so I decided to run the Techmarine as a support beatstick/gun caddy.  It worked out pretty well.  The Techmarine killed an ork biker with his axe and roasted a Shaddow Seer with all his guns.  He even lived until the end of the game when we called it at turn 3.  Relic win!  The Rhino and Tacticals also pulled their weight with the Tacticals gunning down most of a Troupe of harlequins and killing a Troupe Master eventually though there were only three left at the end.  The Rhino was a great roadblock to hide behind in deployment and soaking up overwatch from the harlie troops and HQs.  I actually had good fun with the unit as a whole and they got a pretty good assist when they were near the Sanguinor and the Banner.

Xiphon was fun but of pretty limited use against two armies of mostly infantry.  He did kill two artillery cannons and wounded two others.

Aggressors took a load of shots turn one because both of the opponents considered them a huge danger.  Because of cover one survived until the next turn.  He killed a Harlie biker in close combat and hung a couple wounds on a deff dred....also in close combat lol.  He ran out of targets to shoot pretty quickly because everyone wanted to be in melee as fast as possible.

Devastators were effective, taking out most of a squad of Lootas and a Deff Dred.   This is the first time I've used Blood Angels Devastators in maybe two whole editions.  I've had the models forever but have never really used them.  These are the oldest 'new' models I've ever run.

The combo or Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinary Ancient, and Sanguinor has been devastating.  With the Sanguinor as warlord, he handed out +1 attack and rerolls to hit to any Sanguinary Guard nearby while the Banner helped dodge a lot of damage, though oddly enough the units that made the most FnP saves were random tactical marines and Intercessors who happened to be nearby to the banner when they took damage.  My Sanguinary Guard flat out murdered anything they came close to.  Taking out 12-13 Ork Bikers, 5 Harlie jetbikes, a Death Jester, 4 Lootas, and around 7 or 8 Troupe members.   The Sanguinor slapped a Troupe Master into next week but I played him conservatively, mostly using him for the buffs rather than the beatstick.

The Emperors finest...and the Dark Angels managed a solid win with the opponents conceding by the end of turn 3.  It was a fun and friendly game so not a lot of ultra competitive knowledge can be pulled from it, but I do want to use more tacticals in Rhinos in the future.

Sounds like Blood Angels had a good today! I've really gotta give Sanguinor, SGuard and SGuard Ancient a try.

I have been playing Angels since early 5th edition and I have to say that I have the most fun with them this edition. Even when I lose, the Angels feel satisfyingly brutal in close combat. Others may hit more accurately or kick out way more attacks, but nobody hits as hard as we do and that feels pretty good. I love powerfists and thunder hammers that wound vehicles on 2s and 3s. Power swords that carve through tough opponents on 3s or 4s and even regular chainswords that can wound an Imperial Knight on a 5.

As a long time BA player it's immensely satisfying to see Captains and Sanguinary Guard to play like true marine heroes.

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_55178_12781_38828.jpeg

A little progress. The early stages of big vehicles always slows me down because so much of it is a series of airbrush applications that need to dry. Primer, dry, airbrush pure white, dry, airbrush tan shading on all joints, lines and corners, dry, airbrush light layer of pure white to blend out the tan shading and dial down the intensity, dry, hand linework with sepia, dry, tape off and start all over on the red section and hope I don't over spray, then I finally get to do actual painting! Yay! I'm about 75% done with the white body phase but that really only means about 30% done with the whole model.

It's not really faster with brushes :wink: Where brush gains on the airbrush with drying speed, it loses sorely on the number on coverage (mutliple layers needed). And of course transition between  colors is matchless with the airbrush.

The Bird looks good! Would you consider some stripes or other design matching your carmine/crimson? On such a big model this may come out really nice

Edited by Majkhel

• 3 years later...

Well, it's only been three years since I put some effort into the Blood Angels but they've come back around. Armor of Contempt has really breathed some life into this army and my gaming group has started a 2K campaign that we are all really enjoying. In the campaign we have: Steel Legion AM, Catachan AM, Iron Warriors CSM, Black Legion CSM, House Raven Knights, Yannari Eldar, and my Blood Angels SM. We started the Crusade at 2K instead of our usual escalation style growth. All honors table upgrades are to be rolled for rather than picked. We play points/matched play instead of PL. The first scar can be rerolled or removed from a painted and based unit. Finally we use Tempest of War cards for matches rather than Crusade missions and then we roll a dice to determine game victory rewards. The tempest deck is absolutely fantastic for alleviating the boredom of the book missions.

I have completed the painting on several units/models which I will try to post soon but for now I just wanted to drop some crusade highlights and things I have enjoyed. In this Crusade I'm trying to lean into some of the BA and SM agendas that are more thematic to what's happening in my army.

The first of these was about a Multimelta Invader ATV in my army. The guy took four brightlances to the face turn one of the first game and died before he even moved. He failed his out of action and rolled a mark of shame for his scar. In game two against the Catachan I took the SM agenda Quest for Atonement for the unit and announced it to my opponent who promptly declared that they were going to kill this unit before it could complete it's quest. I played the unit solo and refused to soften a target for it or have other units in my army make it easier to achieve. The buggy dived face first into a wall of infantry, characters, and vehicles desperately trying to redeem their shame while being the target of my opponent and getting no help from their brothers. Time and again the buggy would do damage but fall just short of earning their redemption until in turn three, on it's last wounds, the Invader multicharged an Inquisitor, Srgt Harder, and Col. Straken. In two rounds of solo combat the ATV finally killed the Inquisitor and Harder, thus earning his redemption (in our eyes, it didn't quite meet the actual agenda but who cares) just before Straken punched him to death. For its efforts the units mark of shame was removed and it rolled the Emperor's Aquila on the SM honors chart letting it ignore moral tests (solo unit lol) and reroll failed out of actions which seemed pretty fitting if not very powerful.

The second fun agenda I did was in game three vs the Black Legion. I selected the recover gene seed agenda for my Sanguinary Priest. My opponent of course placed the gene seed objective on the opposite table corner from where my Priest was deployed, about two inches outside of the enemies deployment zone where he had a squad of Terminators and a squad of Noise Marines parked. I vowed the Priest was going to do this agenda or die trying so immediately on the first turn I put the Tactical Terminators the priest was deployed with into the assault doctrine and then flew away from the Sang Guard, Plasma Inceptors and Terminators the priest was supposed to babysit. He advanced to the center of the board on his way to the opposite corner where the gene seed waited to be recovered. In the center he camped out with my Techmarine and two dreds had moved to the center of the board to support some Intercessors holding a vital mid board objective. In the opponents phase a squad of ten berserkers charged the Intercessors on the objective and the Priest and Techmarine both did heroic interventions on the zerks to try and help out (and fulfill Valor of the Angels BA agenda). With a lot of 6+ FnP help from the Priest, the Intercessors lost only two models and the Priest and the Tech priest only took 3 wounds each. All but three Zerkers died to attacks back and the last three failed their moral and attrition roles leaving me still in control of the center. At the start of my next turn the Priest continued his cross country journey to the gene seed, this time posting up on a gantry with three surviving Sang Guard from my second squad who were poised to charge a Jump Pack Chaos lord with daemonic lightning claws who had jumped up on the walkway and murdered my three lasfusil Eliminators. After spending a CP to res a Sang Guard, the Guard and the Priest shot and charged the Lord, killing him in one round. In my opponents turn the Sang Guard would be the focus of four Noise Marines and two overcharged combiplasmas and two combimeltas from the angry terminators standing below protecting the gene seed marker. Between armor of Contempt, cover, and the 6+ FnP I would lose one Guard. In turn 3 the Guard the the Priest flew down to the gene seed objective, shot the noise Marines to death and then chopped the Terminators into pieces using the stratagem Revenge for Sanguinis. My opponent conceded after the end of his turn three because all he had left was a Leviathan so we agreed that in turn 4 the Priest would have completed his action to recover the gene seed.

On his cross country tour to recover the gene seed the Sanguinary Priest played a vital role in three important fights, helping to dispatch 10 berserkers, 1 Chaos Lord, 5 Terminators and 4 Noise Marines and his aura saved multiple models from untimely deaths as well as bringing one Sang Guard back to life. In reward the Priest gained a level, rolling Master of Physiology which will let him save a single unit who has failed their out of action roll. He was also awarded a second honor as victory in this battle gave a free battle honor to a character of choice in the winners army. For this honor the Priest was awarded Purity Seals which will help him dispel psyker powers. Honestly both awards felt really fitting for him. Hopefully he gets to Heroic level so I can make him a Chief Apothecary and give him Selfless Healer.

Edited by Bonzi

gallery_55178_12781_197074.jpg

gallery_55178_12781_445681.jpg

gallery_55178_12781_621516.jpg

gallery_55178_12781_947516.jpg

A handful of the recently completed units. The Terminators were painted years ago but never based. The original models were based on nicely painted mechanicum bases but they take too much effort and time so I've simplified to a grey rubble base in the name of efficiency.

In the campaign the Terminators have been a really strong unit with good shooting and melee showings in every game. To date they have killed five Eldar rangers, more guardsmen than I will bother counting, and two venom crawlers and a lord discordant. They also have proven to be the best unit to plant on a key objective and hold it at all costs. So far they have gained the Bladesmen Honor granting the unit +1WS and are nearly ready to rank up a second time.

The Incursors have been an equally strong utility pick. I always advance deploy them on a midfield objective which almost always puts them in danger from the start. At this point their defining feature is heroic last stands against impossible odds until their brothers show up to rescue them. They never kill much but they always roll hot to survive what they shouldn't. They also have rolled Bladesmen Honors for +1WS.

Edited by Bonzi