Custom Heroes, An Exercise In Warfare

Custom Hero

Welcome to my humble thread. Some of you may know me as Celestial Guardian. With the onset of the recent allowance to change your screen name by the moderators, I put aside that moniker for one that reflects what I think this game is about. After all, both sides have their heroes!

For Christmas my lovely wife blessed me with the new game box set as well as several of the new units. Due to the size change though I thought I would take few of my older marines and size them up via several methods of truescaling. All of these methods I have found here on the B&C.

For my first effort I give you Knight Commander Caleb Rize. He is the commander of the 2nd Company Warhost of the Knights of Lydda. Armed with his relic blade "Luctus" and his faithful storm shield, Caleb dons his modified eagle wing pattern jump pack and strides into the fray like an avenging angel.

KUBEhB.jpg

The conversion uses parts from Stormcast Liberators, Saint Celestine, Space Marine Captain, Chaos Teminator Lord, Sanguinary Guard, Black Templar upgrade pack, and Vanguard Veteran Squad. He still has some work to be done.

Let me know what you think.

*edit to fix picture

Edited by Custom Hero

Let me know what you think.

Hm. What do I think...  1(You might want to shift the head to the right. As it is he is moving to the right but looking to the right (from his POV) so it looks like he is moving away or dodging rather than moving forward. If he was looking to the left, through the gap at the top of his shield for example, he would look like he is moving forward. Just a suggestion. 2( You need an angel choir to play every time he assaults an enemy unit or deep strikes to represent his awesomeness.

Edited by 40K Destiny

Thanks guys!

Destiny: I see what you mean about the head position. My original thought was that he would be in a feinting motion. I like your option much better. I'll postagain after the reconfiguration.

Bjorn: The base is the base rock for the chaos terminator lord. I have placed a broken wall spire on the ground rock as well.

Since I will also have a converted Guilliman in my army I am using the chaos terminator lord bases for all of my commanders.

The idea is that my loyal troops are reclaiming a planet being taken by chaos and the pointed star rock sections as well as Guilliman's base are a taken worship area.

I like the idea of making the army tie together using the bases. I have a few ideas for paint when I get there. Most of them are thematic by squad theme. Due to that seperation of armor types the bases and model poses are going to be used to bring them back together.

I drafted out some notes on how to put the characters essential to my campaign storyline onto their bases.

Since they will be liberating a planet under chaos influence I'm planning ahead to make them all part if a display piece when not being played on the board. The basing theme is that they have broken a chaos worship/sacrifice point. As such, each base for the characters will feature a section of the broken chaos star.

RTI9Hr.jpg

Each is a current work in progress with much to be done. I have, however, cobbled some basics together so that I kept with the basing in the correct sequence for each character.

The basic idea:

49YciZ.jpg

The centerpiece:

High Commander Michael Lazarus

wS02sE.jpg

Position one (then going clockwise)

Prophet Samuel Gaston

0iYhsK.jpg

Position Two

Held for work in progress Primaris Lt.

Position Three

Held for work in progress jump pack chaplain.

Position Four

Primaris Commander Richard Joshua

oSPjeX.jpg

Position Five

Held for work in progress techmarine. This guy will be a mechanical centaur.

Position Six

Primaris Chaplain Eli Kyle

wA8I3H.jpg

Position Seven

Knight Commander Kaleb Rize from the previous posts.

Position Eight

Held for work in progress Lt.

This will be my current focus. As each character is built and painted I plan on posting a little bit about them story wise.

I do plan on doing some squad work on the models for my army that require little to no converting. This will help me achieve my goals by breaking up some of the monotony of converting so many models. I may even throw in a vehicle now and then.

Until next update, as always C&C is most welcome!

Impressive work - Caleb Rize is a definite attention-getter of a model. 

I enjoy what you're doing with the bases as well, it has the potential to really tie the characters together. That being said, I do hope you're planning on varying the chaos lord bases a bit, as they stand out, at least to me, as the same bit repeated. Considering the effort you must put into those models, leaving the base as the exact same is almost a shame - and I mean that in the best of ways.

To be sure, I'm not suggesting a major change or anything like that, simply varying the angle of the jutting rock, adding or removing parts of it would go a long way towards making them look less like the exact same bit repeated.

At the risk of seeming overly critical, I'll also add that I'm not sure about the Prophet. Nothing about him say "librarian" to me, so I'd suggest adding something that suggest his role a bit more, like a psychic hood of some sort, a book of prophecies, a tabard(?), or something. I'd also consider placing the helmet deeper into the "hood" of the termie torso.

I really like the pose, the "hand outstretched and casting a spell" is rather overdone at this point. :) 

I've got nothing for Richard Joshua or Eli Kyle, I'm a fan of both. The new helmet changes the feel of the primaris captain I think, and the flail really makes the chaplain model more imposing. Never did like his pimp-cane TBH, but the flail is nicely brutal and threatening.

I hope to see much more from you!

Bases are part of what I'm working on. Right now everything is tacked in place, but definitely going to vary them out. Rize's is already tilted up. Others will have varying degrees of extra work so that they do not all look exactly the same.

The librarian is waiting on a cloak and tabard. Once I get my hands on them, he will take priority to finish modelling. I've been trying to figure out the psychic hood part, but rest assured, it's coming as well.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Custom Hero

The models look promising, but I have to ask why High Commander Michael Lazarus has wings. Is he a mutant, i.e., potentially Chaos-tainted? Are those "wings" just psychic (non-physical) constructs, like those projected when a Blood Angels Librarian takes flight? Or are they merely decorations on his armor, maybe attached to mechanical arms so they can be used as signal flags?

Thanks for the C&C guys!

Bjorn: I was going with psychic emminations for wings. Still trying to discern what else to do here. I want it to appear as firey wings, but be kind of obvious on the psychic nature too. Maybe that's only going to be told with paint, but I still think the wings need a little something.

TechType: I am using the cloak from the Deathwing Knights and one of the leather stripped tabards from the tactical kit. I just picked them up from my friend at lunch!

I don't think your being overly critical on anything. I want these guys to stand out. Your criticism was asked for and very much appreciated.

Update to Prophet Gaston. I still have a couple of extras to do. Going to press mold a librarian symbol to his shoulder pad and a psychic hood somehow.

QrRpWQ.jpg

I have also worked on another member of the group. Here is Chaplain Craig Moses attached to the Second Warhost.

oiLAMF.jpg

Keep the comments coming...

IMHO, the cloak helped immensely in identifying him as a Librarian/Prophet instead of a “normal” terminator. There’s a good sense of movement in it as well that works with the visual flow of the model, so good pick on the cloak.

Psychic hood-wise, have you considered just building out the existing termie hood a bit with plasticard?

Not sure how to adequately express it, sorry.

Only praise for the chaplain from here!

I spent tonight in company of friends and family for my birthday dinner where I was fortunate to receive the following:

9GMyvp.jpg

After work tomorrow I start my annual week long sabbatical where I will be working on my house and my army. If I know me more if the latter if I can swing it.

I'm especially excited that my army's air wing now consists of two stormtalons, two storm hawks, and a stormraven. I may even have enough extra parts with a stormtalon body I got in the mail to build a third.

With the week off I hope to really get this show on the road. Keep watching!

The models look promising, but I have to ask why High Commander Michael Lazarus has wings. Is he a mutant, i.e., potentially Chaos-tainted? Are those "wings" just psychic (non-physical) constructs, like those projected when a Blood Angels Librarian takes flight? Or are they merely decorations on his armor, maybe attached to mechanical arms so they can be used as signal flags?

So I've been thinking about this since Bjorn brought it up. The more I thought about it, the more it did not make sense.

Psychic wings are good if you have acharacter they ate integral to. I could not find a goid reason they were integral to Lazarus. Hence, they are now removed. I'm thinking a green stuff cape and modified helmet would serve the model much better. I've started in the reseaech to make it happen. I'm not the greatest with green stuff, but I'll never get better if I don't push the limit.

With that said, Bjorn also gave me a better idea for the wings. I know I would add another prophet sporting a jump pack at some point, so I fast tracked the idea to this:

lZQdoM.jpg

gf6pD3.jpg

He's a little top heavy. I'm trying to find a heavy enough filler for the base. Added some change under it, but you can see for the pics that the change pushes from under base and creates a definite tilt. Any suggestions would be great!

As always, C&C welcomed.

I didn't want to wait a week for a Primaris Librarian. Every time my local game shop gets a few in, they are gone by the time I make it to the store. $30 for each model is getting a little expensive too.

I had a box of recently acquired easy to assemble intercessors and decided that since I am already converting and kit bashing, why not just make a librarian myself?

I give you Prophet Wyll Samson of the 5th Warhost of the Knights of Lydda.

SoZ60i.jpg

iR5LRw.jpg

0qax17.jpg

Helmet, right pad, and psychic hood are from the Grey Knights kit. Main body is, of course, the easy to build Intercessor. Left arm is from the Sternguard box. The right arm, purity seals, and tabard are from the tactical box. The left arm is then finished off with a Black Templar pad.

Hope you guys like him. Till next post, C&C always welcome!!

This past week I've been on vacation. Amongst doing updates to my house and property I've gotten in some time with the wife and some pretty decent hobby time.

I've had the Dark Imperium box since Christmas and finally got to throw some of these guys together. Little did I know how close I would get to completely building all of my Primaris models!

++Primaris State of Affairs++

Command models

z7tObA.jpg

Commander, Chaplain, two Lieutenants, Ancient, and Apothecary. Prophet (Librarian) from previous post is under going a little revision to match the aesthetic of these guys.

Intercessor Squad One

s32a2L.jpg

Intercessor Squad Two

8g2YP9.jpg

Hellblasters

pvLJ6a.jpg

Reivers

80PRf9.jpg

Current squad is five models built, five more in construction. Will most likely run as two squads.

Inceptors

t3q6sd.jpg

Models are built and need to be attached to bases.

Aggressors

AxXtze.jpg

One model built, two more in construction.

Redemptor Dreadnought also currently in construction.

Painting will commence as soon as I have assembled the rest of the Aggressors and Reivers. Postings will be done individually for the command models and by squad for the others. Each will entail some background so you get to know my army.

Thank you to all who have been commenting. It has given me an extra push to try some new techniques and insights regarding my models. Keep the C&C coming in!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while I know. Life, what can you do?

The time has given me a bit to think about what I want to do with my army. I found I wanted some things I originally didn't plan on. So, I traded a friend what was left if the Tau army I really didn't want to build and got this in return:

hrIwBO.jpg

Now that I'm going to get some free time again I plan to start building in earnest. Hopefully I'll have my test mini up by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some time to myself after yard work and other chores. Painting has now begun. Not too for into it, but getting everything base coated so that I can try to roll with batch painting.

ea0oaI.jpg

pjQAX9.jpg

Hopefully I can get my shaky hands to cooperate so that I don't mess them up.

Thanks for the feedback Copycat. It would indeed be a sight to see two winged oponents from the light and dark sides clashing it out. It's a game I would be interested in playing.

I do also happen to have an old Nightlord champion body lying around in my bits box. He's missing the wings on his helmet, but Pm me and we'll make it yours if you'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

The Black Hound

He approached the blackened waters of the now tainted shoreline. The edges of his boots stopping on the black shores.

Surveying the devastation left in the wake of battle he saw that few of those under his command had been injured or worse. A wave of contentment washed over him and he had done his job. His men were safe and the day had been won. There was nothing more to bring honor to his command this day.

He turned from the tainted waters to face his men, black cape of his company's colors catching the small winds as he did so. Knight Commander Richard Joshua surveyed his men. He saw the battle weariness the month of fighting had brought to them. The commander knew that small gestures meant many things. He offered one now to his men.

The lowering sun caught the silver of his armor as he addressed them. "Bothers! Fellow Knights! The day us ours! Though the world is not yet taken, and this war far from over, you have brought honor to our chapter and your names. Take rest and take heart, for tomorrow we leave these shores and link with our brethren in the northern fields," Richard Joshua raised his onyx power blade, the failing sun catching the blade to radiate the power held within, "Go forth brothers! Tend to your wounds and your gear. Make preparations and rest. Tomorrow brings a new chance to rid these lands of the Chaos filth that has over run it!"

Even before his voice died out the cheers of his men took to the air. They were infectious. More and more gathered in the call. Knight Commander Joshua lowered his famed blade "Dark Reaper" and strode to the forward line to make his own preparations.

Gc0Ozg.jpg

As always C&C welcome.