The Forgotten Opposite: Sons of Malice

Terimus

Hello everyone! Through a few months of gameplay in a Rogue Trader campaign and my character

joining Malal/Malice and eventually teaming with the Sons of Malice, I’ve been inspired to start a Sons

of Malice army for 40k. So far this project has been an absolute blast. 

Note that some of the characters and events I’ll be building and writing about are solely part of our

Rogue Trader Story, and as our story is occurring in a slightly alternate timeline, things may be a bit

different from the standard storyline.

My friends are pretty chill as far as homebrew stuff goes, so I’ve been writing up rules for the Sons of

Malice, which I am willing to share once they are complete for those interested.

As there is limited information on the Sons of Malice, my friends and I have taken some artistic liberty

with these forgotten warriors. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have! That being said, On to the story

and the models!

Brother Silas Alec, Red Scorpion

q9ny8ge.jpg?1

It had all happened in a matter of months. Silas Alec of the Red Scorpions, a veteran of the Badab War,

had be assigned to a Rogue Trader crew to repay a chapter debt to a wealthy family from Terra. The

assignment came from Commander Carab Culln himself. At the beginning of his journey aboard the

vessel known as the Unsung Hero, Silas had acquired a strange daemon blade housing a daemon of

Slaanesh that bound itself to him. Silas attempted to find an escape from the daemon’s temptations.

Through the help of a young astropath on the Unsung Hero, Silas learned of Malice, the Renegade Chaos

deity. The astropath convinced Silas that since daemonic bands cannot be broken, they can at least be

changed.

Silas contacted a representative daemon of Malice, and agreed to a new contract with Malice. The

Slaaneshi daemon blade was banished and replaced with a two handed daemon sword name Dracnyeen

masked in the appearance of a power sword. (side note: I know the name is similar to Abaddon’s

daemon blade, but the GM gave it the name. If it’s any consolation it is pronounced differently.)

Throughout his adventures, Silas saw many injustices and imperfections in the Imperium he once held

dear. While retaining his love for humanity, Silas has determined that the only way for the galaxy to

have peace is first to destroy Chaos, and then purge the Imperium of tyranny such as the Inquisition.

Silas’ journey’s, decisions, and the betrayal of two who he had called close friends, led to his full

conversion to Malice and the necessity to abandon the Unsung Hero. Malice lead Silas to find the Sons

of Malice, where he has found allies who share his goals.

Silas with his new Daemon Blade, Dracnyeen

qM5sV9I.jpg?1

Silas quickly gained reputation and position within the Sons of Malice, but also discovered that the

difficulty of politics and prejudice exist even within the followers of Malice. The Sons have been pointed

to hate both the Imperium and Chaos and expend their warriors and wasting their energies fighting the

imperium instead of focusing on their true enemy. Duhm, second in command to Kathal, is attempting

to usurp Kathal and turn the Sons of Malice against the newcomer Silas. Silas must battle Duhm to end

the growing civil war within the Sons of Malice.

Silas joins the Sons of Malice and adopts more Chaos iconography and scrolls of daemonic text.

1JxA3F9.jpg?1

jKkjQtu.jpg?1

Kathal is the Anarch of the Sons of Malice, and has led the Sons of Malice to many victories. Until the

arrival of Silas, he has been the favored of Malice of decades, but following Duhm’s scheming, Kathal has

gone missing…

Original concept art of Kathal

99JXdjY.jpg?1

Plundered from the Iron Hands, Kathal wears Gorgon Pattern Terminator armor he has modified for his

own liking and function. Kathal wields two fearsome chainswords known as Black and White.

Game wise, Kathal's stats are based on Tyberos the Red Wake, with a few modifications.

WIP model. Sorry its not the best picture quality, I'll post more as I make more progress

gxP0tJ9.jpg?1

HaYUYKR.jpg?1

FRWveUU.jpg?1

I have lots more on the way! I am currently working on the 11 Doomed Ones, as well as a 5 man havoc squad. I also have a 5 man chosen squad 10 man tactical squad, and 5 terminators in the works. As well, I should hopefully be receiving a Mhara Gal Contemptor Dreadnought and Gal Vorbak in the mail soon. I'm also nearly done with a sorcerer, Spined Beast conversion, and have the bits to custom build a giant chaos spawn.

Much more in the works, so stay tuned. Thanks for checking it out!

Sorry for some of the Pic quality here, but I present a few of my work in progress models! Ever since Primaris marines came out, regular marines have just seemed so small, so for all my power armor models, I've extended the legs a bit just to give them a little more hieght and intimidation factor.  You can't get a good look at it here, but there are some pentagram type sacrificial runes I carved into the base here. 

First off we have Brother Invictus of the Doomed Ones

n00T9tD.jpg?1

Another Doomed One charging into battle.

Y1j7RXr.jpg?1

Here is the progress so far on the Sergeant of Kathal's personal bodyguard of Terminators. I'll probably be replacing the sword with a bloodletter sword or something.

fHwXqvX.jpg?1

What's that crest from, something high elves?

Dragonlover

Its one of the headpieces from the Magnus the Red daemon primarch. I got some of the extra bits from a friend and figured this might be a fun place to use it.

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm glad to see some other followers/appreciators of Malice! I've had a ton of fun doing these conversions thus far and I have plenty more to go!

First new guy in town: Sons of Malice Moritat/Cypher conversion. No name for this chap yet, but one day he'll have one. I really love the Moritat idea from 30k, and Cypher is the closest thing we have to that in 40k, so I wanted to create some kind of fun stand in guy with his own unique look.

UDUk66k.jpg?2

And as well, I got a few other friends to join the warband! So stoked for these fellows. 

ayWt1gu.jpg?2

I didn't realize how big the Gal Vorbak models are, but they are big! perhaps a smidge bigger than a primaris marine.

xafDWyr.jpg?1

I can't wait to put these guys together! BUt alas, I have to, college homework calls, so I guess they may have to wait a bit.

I've been able to make a ton of progress, but I don't have time for all the postings quite yet, so here's just a look at Hellforged Contemptor for now

lcw0pQA.jpg?1

EyFc0Fs.jpg?1

FiirI6R.jpg?1

love the head on this thing, but it a lot of pictures you can't see it very well

m9jdtqP.jpg?1

I was a little concerned that the claw was a bit big, but I dunno, its kinda growing on me. What do you guys think, should I do smaller claws or is this look okay?

I actually think the size of the claw is right, I would however add a bit of "corruption" as it looks too clean in comparison with the rest of the model... Also Gal Vorback models are so cool, need to see them painted in Sons of Malice colours!

So I'm nearly done building the Gal Vorbak! You may note that one of them is actually one of the Blade Slave models. That is because the other model has a far more grand destiny, but that has yet to be revealed!  :biggrin.:

For now, here are the possessed. I have modified a few things for the sake of having some mutations for other characters. ONe of them I originally gave an ax, but I replaced his arm today as I didn't think it was fitting quite right with the rest.

veW1s5p.jpg?1

5FtpFbU.jpg?1'

DYBuvVF.jpg?1

As well, I added a few mutations to the Contemptor's claw. I'll clean it up a bit more once the greenstuff cures.

r49X2PW.jpg?2

Though my force isn't complete with paint and there is still a large amount of modelling to be done, but tonight is the night I'll be testing the home brew rules for my Sons of Malice! Following this, I'll make my final tweaks to the rules and I will post them here for your enjoyment and critique as well.

I'll try to have the battle report up by tonight! 

Alas, last night got busier than I thought, but here it is! the battle report!

SONS OF MALICE TEST GAME BATTLE REPORT

RIght out of the gate, I just want to let you know that this was a super laid back friendly game simply for the sake of testing out the new rules.

Okay, so  I know this isn't chill with a lot of players out there, but my friend and I typically play using Power Level, just for the sake of taking more items and whatnot. So for this test game, we played 100 power level, me running the Sons of Malice with my homebrew rules and my friend running his Traitor Guard, led by some Tzeench greater daemon character whose name I can't even begin to pronounce, and a side detatchement of fallen and Cypher. Note that as this was meant to test the rules for my characters, I didn't really take the time to fit them into specific detatchments, I mainly just took the units I needed to try, and then also a few other units I wanted to try. I know its super unorthodox, but have mercy! Again, just trying out the units here.

THe Armies:

Sons of Malice:

HQ 

Silas

Kathal

Actavius (head sorcerer)

Elites

Hellforged Contemptor

Possessed

Doomed Ones

Troops

Chaos Space Marines

Fast Attack

Chaos Spawn

Heavy Support

Spined Beast

Havos

TRAITOR GUARD

Honestly, I don't know the titles and all the units that went into my friends force, but I trust him to play fair. To the best of my knowledge it goes somelike as as follows.

Lord of War

Greater Daemon of Tzeench whose name I don't know

HQ

Cypher

Renegade Commander

Psyker Coven

Elite

Fallen

Fallen

Troops

Renegade Guard

Renegade Guard

Renegade Guard

Heavy Support

Malcador Tank

Malcador Tank

Scenario: we decided to play it easy with a battle to the death, victory points for units, you know the drill. For story purposes, Silas and Kathal have caught wind of a group of Renegades who have taken residence in the husk of an urban area. The Sons of Malice feel this is a good opportunity to send a strike team to destroy a band of Chaos followers and test their skill.

Preparations: I held several units in reserves, inlcuding Silas, Kathal, Actavius (the head sorcerer), a spawn, and the spined beast in reserves. Meanwhile, I deployed my havocs up in a building, regular marines front and center, Contemptor on the right side, and the Doomed Ones and Possessed running up along the cover on the left side.

Meanwhile my amigo placed all his forces in the backfield, Greater Daemon chilling in the back center. He got the first turn.

TURN 1 Traitor Guard

Rough start, one of the Malcador tanks opened fire on the Hellforged contemptor, and a lascannon did full damage to the poor guy and took him down ot 4 wounds. SHortly thereafter, the Daemon used its Staff of Cataclysm to annihilate the poor guy before he even got a shot off. not much else happened.

NsCCDW0.jpg?1

TURN 1 Sons of Malice

First things first, I dropped in Silas close to the middle, Kathal on the left, and Actavius behind enemy lines. Actavius succeeded in summoning the Spined Beast (we weren't sure if he could do this after teleporting in, but we decided to run with it as no one more expert was around). Actavius attempted to use Warp Time to get the SPined Beast into combat asap, but the dang Daemon denied his powers with ease, and the Beast failed its charge. Silas jumped right into the fray and began slaying Renegade guards, and Kathal rushed the Malcador on the left. I advanced the Possessed and made some serious headway up the field, and sadly the Doomed Ones chugged along behind.

iz5f5IS.jpg?2

TGADW7v.jpg?1

n0RV8JN.jpg?1

TURN 2 Traitor Guard

Actavius was quickly wasted by the Daemon, which then turned its attention to the Spined Beast. The Fallen on that side opened fire on it, doing one damage, and then the daemon engaged it in combat and surprisingly survived the turn, but didn't inflict any damage. More guards and the Renegade Commander swarmed Silas, but he continued thinning the herd with ease, but somehow failed to wound the Commander. Cypher got close to Kathal, but didn't make the charge to engage him, and the Malcador failed to wound Kathal, who returned some devastating blows to the tank.

7nypjLk.jpg?1

TURN 2 Sons of Malice

With the psyker coven advancing, the possessed were able to engage them in combat and quickly began cutting the psykers down with ease. Meanwhile Kathal destroyed the tank and cleared a path right to Cypher. THe SPined Beast failed its attacks and was nearly crushed by the Daemon.THe Havocs were able to pick off one Fallen from across the board. Silas again failed to kill the renegade commander, put cut down several more guardsman.

0g1oM2W.jpg?1

Turn 3 Traitor Guard

the blasted Daemon used some power called the Treachery of Tzeentch or something like that and managed to take control of Silas for the turn. The remaining Malcador fired on the Possessed and killed a few of them, and then SIlas jumped into combat with the remaining Possessed and murdered them with ease, his anti-chaos bonuses taking effect against his own men too. Nasty stuff! As well, The Daemon finished killing the Spined beast. Cypher engaged Kathal in combat, but did little before the Anarch obliterated him, but due to Cypher's rule, no victory points were gained. 

4mIGIBB.jpg?1

cGGbgpG.jpg?1

Turn 3 Sons of Malice

Silas came to his senses and jumped back into combat with another squad of guardsman and Kathal flanked them from the other side. The poor saps didn't stand a chance and the power team slaughtered them before they could even hit back. The Chaos Marines finally got in range and opened fire on the Malcador along with fire support from the Havocs, but not much happened. Finally the Spawn made in close the combat and the Doomed ones finally started getting close enough to fire some plasma pistols into the tank as well. 

gDpf1kN.jpg?1

Turn 4 Traitor Guard

The guardsman dealt a wound to Kathal, and the Malcador blasted the Spawn out of existence. The remaining fallen kept back and picked off two of the Marines from the regular squad. The Daemon charged into combat with Kathal and tied Silas into the combat and started whittling them down. They each managed to get thier own licks in though. 

TZsQis0.jpg?1

vdcAyJs.jpg?1

Turn 4 Sons of Malice

After a few meager wounds from some bolter shots, The tac squad and the Doomed ones charged into combat with the Malcador and damaged it gravely, but it kept on. The Havocs shot down one more of the fallen. Silas used the voice of Silence, a Malice mutation that negates psychic powers for a time, then he and Kathal continued fighting the massive Daemon, but did little to wound it. 

Turn 5 Traitor Guard

The  majority of the remaining guards hung back from the combats and waited to engage. The Daemon finally broke the strength of both Kathal and Silas in the same turn and downed them both. Brother Invictus dodged the Tank's failed attack and gutted the tank with his daemon sword.

Adhai9N.jpg?2

Turn 5 Sons of Malice. With the Malcador gone, The tac squad and the Doomed Ones charged the Daemon in a final attempt. The DOomed Ones struck first, and their anti-chaos weapons devastated the Daemon, leaving it with one wound. THe Tac squad then made their attacks, all of which bounced harmlessly from its flesh, all except the glowing blade of the Aspiring Champion's power sword, which he sunk deep into the Daemon's chest, and the monster heaved over! 

The empty whole in the middle is where the Greater Daemon used to be.

mattuDJ.jpg?1

The turns expired here, and with that, the traitor guard one the day with more victory points. Had we played out the remainder of the game, I beleive the doomed Ones and the Havocs could have cleaned up the remaining guards and Fallen, but alas. That being said, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out! The rules played fairly well between the two of us. With that, I'm going to make a few final tweaks, then I'll post the trial rules here for you guys to pick apart.

LESSONS LEARNED

1- Don't leave a Contemptor in the open hoping to get the first turn. By putting him with a clear shot to the Daemon with his conversion beamer, I left him wide open to be demolished by the Malcador and the Daemon's staff of cataclysm.

2- Don't try to pit a Sorcerer against a Greater Daemon of Tzeentch. His powers will be useless.

3-Get a Rhino for the Doomed Ones. These poor guys could have turned the tide of the game way earlier had they been able to get into the mix faster. They nearly saved the day at the end, and could be far more useful if they were able to get around faster.

4- I need a few bigger guns to fire at scary things like Greater Daemons that may pop up every once in a while.

Great report, looks like a fun game! The Greater Daemon of Tzeentch, Aetaos'Rau'Keres, was one of the most broken units in the game until he got his price risen to 1500 points in the Chapter Approved... Judging from your lists, I would say your friend played him with his old price tag, which was around 500 points if I remember correctly, so yeah, you played a REALLY steep game as your opponent had around 1000 points more than you, or so it seems. It is true however that his new price is unfairly high, so playing him with it would have crippled him.

I do agree with all of the lessons learned, specially looking forward to see those "bigger guns" ;)!

Great report, looks like a fun game! The Greater Daemon of Tzeentch, Aetaos'Rau'Keres, was one of the most broken units in the game until he got his price risen to 1500 points in the Chapter Approved... Judging from your lists, I would say your friend played him with his old price tag, which was around 500 points if I remember correctly, so yeah, you played a REALLY steep game as your opponent had around 1000 points more than you, or so it seems. It is true however that his new price is unfairly high, so playing him with it would have crippled him.

I do agree with all of the lessons learned, specially looking forward to see those "bigger guns" :wink:!

Yeah that daemon is ridiculously powerful! I'm really surprised at how well I performed despite being majorly outgunned by that thing. 

Finally got some time to work on a few models!

First off, here's some progress on an aspiring Champion, who I will use as my leader whenever I play Shadow War Armageddon. I really like how he's turning out!

n7inmmk.jpg?2

SAzdI7s.jpg?1

And a Dark Apostle. I wanted him to be mutating, and used a few of the extra Gal Vorbak pieces for him as well as a modified necron torso. He's going to be a bigger guy when he's finished.

OBrruX4.jpg?1

Let me know what you guys think!

Damn! I love the powerfist’s pose! And I am smacking my head because I wanted to do something similar and it never occurred to me to use that open hand from a sorcerer to compliment that fist.

The mutating dark apostle is also sweet. Definitely love the path you are taking with these warped SoM!

Archived