The Forgotten Opposite: Sons of Malice

Terimus

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the comments and support! I'll hopefully be able to get up some more pictures soon! I've been able ot finish building the Champion and I'm pretty close on the dark apostle, just a little more greenstuff work and he'll be set.

Hello again my brothers! Today I have a very exciting project that will soon become part of the Rogue Trader Campaign. In preparation for this model, here is a quick update on the story to prepare us for what is to come. 

Silas' journey has taken him far and wide. Following Kathal's disappearance, Duhm has taken over teh command of the Sons of Malice. During a vision, it is revealed to Silas that Duhm has in fact been a traitor all along, summoning the combined Ruinous powers as a devotee of Chaos Undivided. Silas, unwilling to see his fellow Sons of Malice fall to the corruption of the other Gods, challenges Duhm to an honor duel for leadership of the chapter. After a fateful combat, Silas emerges victorious with the beheaded form of Duhm. Silas is hailed as a hero and is dubbed the new Anarch, Chapter Master, and Chaos Lord of the Sons of Malice, the favored champion of Lord Malal.

As Silas begins to regroup the Sons of Malice and establish a new leadership council, he meets again with Zurucona, a techpriest who was one of the original Rogue Trader crew. Zurucona has gathered his own crew of misfits and outcasts, and through there misadventures, they each have fallen to one of the chaos gods. Silas offers Zuru and his men the opportunity to join Malal and be free of their chains to the other gods. Zuru states that he is willing, but must take up this offer with the crew.

Before Zuru can draw a conclusion, SIlas discovers where Kathal is being held captive by Inquisitor Stromo on a remote space station. Silas is directed to go and rescue Kathal, and As a test of Zuru's loyalty, they join sides and form a special task force to liberate Kathal.  The team fights their way through the station, but Stromo escapes with Kathal and leaves them to face down a host of Inquisitorial assassins and Warriors. By the end of the conflict, Silas, Zuru, and many of their men are injured, and some killed. They retreat, but on their way back to the Labyrinth, Zuru forsakes Malal to forge a deal with Khorne to save the life of Maliel, who was nearly killed. 

With this final betrayal, but not having the strength to destroy Zuru and his men, Silas and his remaining men disembark at the Labyrinth and let the traitors escape. For now.

As Silas recovers from his wounds, Malice visits him in vision, granting him greater strength and a mission. He is to find and kill Inquisitor Stromo, and then he will be empowered and exalted to Daemonhood, with power enough to destroy all those who have betrayed him and stand in the way of the Elimination of Chaos.

There you have it! Its been a crazy journey of excitement and heartache as I've had to watch Silas' friends betray him. But the time draws near that he shall become a Daemon Prince! With this, I've nearly completed modeling Silas in his ascended form. 

LvOyFQn.jpg?3

Here is Dracnyeen, his daemon blade he has carried for quite some time. I've used the Chaos Master of the Crusade sword for the bulk of it,and built the rest of the hilt from a Kroot rifle grip and the pommel is a carved up Tzaangor axe.

63AwNqG.jpg?1

Here's a few angles on his base, I'm going to be painting it up to represent the destruction of the four chaos gods. The Maulerfield pieces will be painted in a deathguard/nurgle type scheme. There are a few Khorne bunnie ears scattered about, as well as several bits of Tzeentch iconography. And the crowning jewel is the Emperor's Children Chaos Marine being gashed open by Dracnyeen, symbolizing Silas' utter hatred of Slaanesh. I'm pretty stoked.

vtF0thL.jpg?3

h4wTl3p.jpg?3

kOgCIpB.jpg?3

And all together

m4nhODm.jpg?2

I'll be adding some more details before I paint him, but all in all, he's basically done!

Wow looks amazing, really characterful model, and the sword is an awesome kitbash! It is great to see people attempt conversions of earlier stages of daemonhood instead of making huge Daemon Princes, will have to do something like that myself one day...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long wait everyone, Things have been quite busy lately, but I was finally able to work on my Sons of Malice again. I've been doing some painting, and so I present to you Kathal and a 5 man possessed squad! THere are still a few little details and highlights I need to finish, mostly base details, but for the most part they're done.

S0XudPL.jpg?1

OqqTLN7.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

Things have been pretty busy for the past while, but I've still been making some progress! I'll try to get more pics up soon.

I'm still working on some of the details, but the Daemon Prince version of Silas is nearly done!

yLeBFTx.jpg?1

6jFksHL.jpg?1

There's been a number of compelling Daemon Princes around these boards recently, and I believe I speak for all that it is fun to see the many various shapes such vile champions of the warp can take with some imaginative minds and a box of bitz. Silas is obviously before anything else a model where the pose screams action, that is no static miniature where we have to try and imagine its movements across the battlefield which you have made there. A powerful pose, filled with momentum and dominating with those wings spread wide as he advances upon his enemies.

I think your camerawork might be selling the miniature a little bit short in this instance as it looks a bit washed out, but it is a distinct paint scheme you are working with which should make it pop quite well on the board. As he well should, for that is no skulking champion.

I think your camerawork might be selling the miniature a little bit short in this instance as it looks a bit washed out, but it is a distinct paint scheme you are working with which should make it pop quite well on the board. As he well should, for that is no skulking champion.

I agree with you there. I'm in the process of getting a new camera and one of these days I'll make a lightbox when I get the chance.

I do have a minor update as well! 

In the story, Silas acquired a small Tau Drone named Kal-5 that he had programmed to follow and fight for him. 

Here's the original (need to repaint Kal-5 here)

4PTEJPj.jpg?1

I figured since Silas was getting his daemonhood, Kal-5 should as well! the little fella finally got hellforged!

9JaikeP.jpg?1

3YnfySG.jpg?1

He's still WIP, so I might add some greenstuff chaos arrow points on the top of him or something.

As well, I'm playtesting the homebrew rules for the Daemon Prince Silas on thursday with a friend of mine, and here's the army i'll be running.

Hy3T4iP.jpg?1

There you have Lord Silas and Kal-5, The Doomed Ones, Possessed, Terminators, Havocs, Tac Squad, Hellforged Contemptor, and a Chaos spawn.

Silas looks the nuts dude! Where are the legs from?

Also I note you have unpainted stuff, fancy joining us for the ETL this year?

Dragonlover

For the Daemon Prince, I can tell that the most of the model sans wings is one of the FW Gal Vorbak. For the normal Silas, I can't tell :lol:

Silas looks the nuts dude! Where are the legs from?

Also I note you have unpainted stuff, fancy joining us for the ETL this year?

Dragonlover

For the Daemon Prince, I can tell that the most of the model sans wings is one of the FW Gal Vorbak. For the normal Silas, I can't tell :laugh.:

The regular Silas model is a truscale amalgamation of tons of bits. the legs were from an old terminator I had laying around that I made a few adjustments to. The base from the chaos Terminator lord, the head is actually a regular marine helm with a greenstuff addition to give it the mark 4 look. The torso was also a regular marine torso hacked and greenstuffed to be mark 4 with the dogtags added from a cultist. The arms are from all over the place, the sword was a mix of two power swords, the pistol came from the raptors set, the jump pack came from the Sanguinary Guard box, and the scrolls were from a Stormcast eternal. He was a fun build!

As for the ETL, I've heard a lot about that, but I'm not sure how to get involved. Mind pointing a brother in the right direction? 

The regular Silas model is a truscale amalgamation of tons of bits. the legs were from an old terminator I had laying around that I made a few adjustments to. The base from the chaos Terminator lord, the head is actually a regular marine helm with a greenstuff addition to give it the mark 4 look. The torso was also a regular marine torso hacked and greenstuffed to be mark 4 with the dogtags added from a cultist. The arms are from all over the place, the sword was a mix of two power swords, the pistol came from the raptors set, the jump pack came from the Sanguinary Guard box, and the scrolls were from a Stormcast eternal. He was a fun build!

As for the ETL, I've heard a lot about that, but I'm not sure how to get involved. Mind pointing a brother in the right direction?

Right here for Chaos Space Marines

• 3 weeks later...

So I did a fun little side project using some extra parts I had around. So we have since completed our Campaign, but I love the character of Silas so much that I want ot continue his story in novel form. THe campaign ended after a final conflict when his best friend Zurucona betrayed him to join the forces of Khorne and then they began hunting the Sons of Malice. Silas lured Zurucona and his strike force onto the surface of a jungle moon and then ambushed him with his own forces. A battle commenced where Silas slew Zurucona, but Zurucona's forces retaliated. The ensuing battle ended in the complete destruction of the Khornate band and with the loss of many of Silas's team, including several of the Doomed Ones.

At this point in the story, Silas hadn't ascended to Daemonhood yet, as the price to do so was slaying one of Silas's greatest enemies, an Inquisitor named Stromo. The pursuit of the Khornate band had preoccupied Silas from accomplishing this mission. Thus the ongoing story will be of Silas regrouping the Sons of Malice, finding more men to become Doomed Ones, and hunting down Stromo.

This being said, Silas's battle with Zurucona and his team left Silas wounded and his armor badly damaged. Silas then had his trusted Warpsmith forge him a new suit of artificer armor. A new addition to his weaponry is a masterfully crafted Lightning Claw. This model represents Silas in his new armor. I'm not quite done yet, as I want to add a few more bits to his armor and base. I want to get an inquisitorial symbol of some kind to represent his hunt for Stromo, as if he's surprise attacked the Inquisitor while Stromo is preocuppied with a different chaos force.

The model incorporates his new lightning claw, a new, twin turbine jump pack, and his classic mk IV style helmet (from a tartaros terminator). His powerful and trusted daemon Sword Drachnyeen has now revealed its demonic form. Silas is wielding the blade backhanded in mid flourish. I may make a few more modifications to the sword itself as well.

RzqdX6M.jpg?1

UH0FL1b.jpg?1

4C3uUdb.jpg?1

Sorry for the bad picture quality, I took these on the fly this morning before heading to school. I'm actually waiting for my new camera to get shipped to my place and then I'll be able to take a lot better pictures! 

The way he's holding the sword looks like he's about to slap someone with the flat of the blade. Maybe rotate the sword 90 degrees so that the cutting edge is in like with the plane of the elbow joint/movement?

The way he's holding the sword looks like he's about to slap someone with the flat of the blade. Maybe rotate the sword 90 degrees so that the cutting edge is in like with the plane of the elbow joint/movement?

A few reasons for that. First off, the sword is attached to the hand and forearm. As well, I mentioned before that he is Flourishing the blade, not chopping someone.

We have a welcome new addition to the Sons of Malice coming! I just got an Imperial Knight that I'll be adding to the ranks. I want to magnetize it so I can swap the weapons out. I am going to be lengthening the legs a bit and put it on a bigger base so I can use it for a Cerastus class knight as well as regular. 

I wanted some opinions on how to custom build a few of these weapons instead of buying them. Here's the ones I want to make

Grav Cannon

99560108146_MechanicumCerastusKnightAtra

Lascutter99560108146_MechanicumCerastusKnightAtra

Volkite 

99590108122_QuestorisKnightStyrix05.jpg

I have the claw covered, I just need to make the volkite barrel.

Any ideas on how to make these fine weapons?

As far as the lascutter is concerned all I can suggest is waiting for the Knight preceptor and using its nearly identical weapon. And for the grave, while not exactly the same look you could start with a Leviathan grav-bombard and mix in some regular Knight weapon parts

Archived