Renegades and Neophyte Hybrids

GreenScorpion

I have been thinking about starting a Renegades army and I was looking into Neophyte Hybrids with their mining related wargear as well as the conversion kit for cadians as a way to get some of the basic infantry (using the more human-like heads of the set).

Have you had any contact with the kits? Do you have any suggestions? Is it feasible to remove or "fade away" the Genestealer Cult references on the models?

I have been eyeing escher gang from Necromunda as well, seems like a good option for some weirdly equipped renegades.

Not related with the above but do you know if GW's standard delivery goes through regular mail? It is likely I won't be home when the package arrives and it would be easier to retrieve that way. I haven't found any concrete info on their site on how things are transported on standard.

Edited by GreenScorpion

I don't see why you couldn't use the stealer upgrade sprue or even buy a few of those boxes, to be honest I was thinking of doing that a few times for my own version of mutants. Necromunda has some great models in there and I cannot wait to get my own hands on a box to convert some of them to my own ends.

As for shipping I think it depends on the size of the package but I haven't really noticed if it was postal or ups/fedex.

We are thinking along the same lines. Last month I got a Neophytes box for my Renegades and this month I got an Escher box for my Renegades. Both kits are beautifully sculpted and fit nicely into a Renegades force.

Check out the most recent 2 posts at the bottom of the page of my progress blog for photos of the Neophyte  Renegades.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321042-tallarn-commanders-night-lords-blog/page-2

In the post before that you can also see some shots of these Neophytes as cultists and militia. Ironically my opponent was also using Genestealer Cult troops in his list. :) 

Yes, the icons scrape off easily or they can be covered up. I covered one icon up with a tiny Khorne icon from a Bloodreaver.  :) I did miss one icon so I'll have to go back and scrape it off at some point.

Also, I have taken 4 of the Neophyte heads and put them onto plastic Catachan and Cadian renegade troopers with no problem. The neophytes' necks are a bit too long, but it's nothing a knife and some greenstuff can't fix.

As you note, there are plenty of nice bits in the box to use. In addition to the mining gear, I've remade most of their autoguns into auto pistols and some of the Neophyte shotguns have gone to my mutant Gor troopers. I traded the remaining bitz with a Genestealer cult player for 3 metal Tallarns! Nothing says cool like metal IG painted up as Renegades.

I finished painting up my first Neophyte model, Nunchaku Ned, this week. He'll be joining 3rd Squad, one of my Chaos Militia squads.

I'm currently assembling the Eschers. They are nice models, but they are very futzly to assemble so I've only put together 4. I'll post photos of Ned and the assembled Eschers soon.

By the way, the Eschers aren't really weirdly equipped. You can put together a flamer trooper, champion, and 8 autogun troopers or 8 autopistol/brutal assault weapons troopers. The autopistols are nice looking long-barreled laspistols. Although their dirks don't really fit a 40K aesthetic. But I suspect since you're a 40K player, you can raid your bitz box for cooler looking brutal assault weapons.

I can't answer your delivery question though. I got my kits from local stores.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for the answers :)

@Tallarn Commander

In what relates to Eschers I said weird weapons but in a good sense as I want them to look unique and running them in a list is not a concern for the moment (40k is not really something common in my country to be honest).

I was thinking of using the more genestealer-ike heads as trophies for the squads and later mix a few converted cadians.

The Broodcoven also has some nice models for part of a command squad (the military leader could easily represent a chaotic mutant) with the familiars and the big genestealer being used as corpses in vehicles or something like that.

But those things will be easier to decide when I get my hands on the kits I suppose.

Edited by GreenScorpion