New Codex, New Cryptek

NTaW

He's definitely going to be my lead Cryptek, with two kit-bashed ones as his minions. Not totally for or against him floating yet though, sprue pics will help sway that opinion.

I keep starting to post on this thread and it has always turned into silly wish listing.

With regards to the cryptek, I love it. I'm kind of glad I haven't found a cryptek model yet because I like this one a lot more than the finecast.

The model looks proportioned similar to everything else in the line so 32mm base, though because of the floaty-scarab thing it could be 40mm. This one looks like it may be close to 2" tall depending on the pose if that helps at all Mechanicus_Adept. No clue about rules but the WC article did mention that it looks like he has some new wargear rather...cryptekally (I'll show myself the door).

Tyriks, I think the only reason I don't have the current Cryptek model is the Finecast element. Points drops aside I am hoping for something that can let us fall back and shoot. I've heard rumours that the army as a whole will be a bit more mobile (weird to me, I'd settle on some real ranged support) and that there's a +1AP Dynasty rule. Neither of which I can substantiate, but are kinda fun anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
If we get all that, I'll be pretty happy. If we are going beyond all that, I wouldn't mind a proper dedicated transport. The Ghost Ark is awesome, but only carrying warriors and only holding half a squad hurts it a ton when using it as an actual transport. Something cheap and fast but not that scary would be very useful.

With the exception of the vanilla SM and DG books the new Codices have largely seemed like a stop-gap between 7th and 8th really getting rolling with all factions updated with current rules. I doubt we'll see a ton of plastic come out (though I will -happily- be proven wrong by GW) but I'm curious about how they will address Necron HQs given their current approach of only providing rules for what comes in packages. I know there's the Index flow chart from WC/CA but it would be quite sad to see (Over)Lords with only the option for a warscythe and a resurrection orb in the new book.

The GW website calls the weapon that model is holding a warscythe and it looks like an axe in the picture, there another weapon hiding in the sprue? I don't own the model myself just going off this pic:

99120110013_CatacombBargeNEW02.jpg

and this sentence in the product description:

Above them, a skeletal Necron Lord stands defiantly behind an elegant rail, gesturing forward with his warscythe.

Ugh. That looks nothing like a scythe. I'm hoping they just consider the Lord/Overlord to be interchangable models, then. Or give us new plastic versions, even with all of our choices we are pretty limited.

:lol: yeah, but warscythes didn't look like scythes until the most recent plastic model. I would absolutely love a plastic (Over)Lord kit with weapon options. Bonus marks for being able to buy a Destroyer Lord, again with weapon options, in one box instead of as an upgrade pack.

Pariahs would be an excellent returning unit. I feel like most of my experience with them comes from Dawn of War though since they were nipped from 40k at least starting with the 5th edition book. Necrons also definitely need a superheavy contender in Codex. GW's solution to that with the Blood Angels was to offer characters the ability to become killers way above their weight through wargear and stratagem options. No new models (other than Primaris stuff anyway) but now a Captain has a pretty good chance of removing just about anything in combat. Boosting C'Tan Shard rules up to that level could be a very sensible solution to that reality.

The T'au book is rumoured to go up for pre-order on the 10th and the AoS release has already started. There could easily be more Codex books in there just not announced yet since that rumour would give this AoS release a two week uninterrupted window. If T'au comes out the following week potentially with the last bits of the AoS stuff there's still two more weeks in March...assuming the T'au don't get a huge release spanning several weeks anyway.

Yeah our Titanic units come up short. The obelisk/ark are just bigger monoliths, with all the problems that entails. A new upgraded C'tan would be awesome, or a new canoptek monstrosity.

My thinking is that we know we are getting at least one model, and that they're drastically changing us from the index, so I would expect to have a little more focus than T'au since they are just an update. I guess when new WD drops it might have hints for us though.

Ad Mech vs Cron campaign is whispered for April.

I'd expect Tau and Drukhari in March, then our Dex will drop with the campaign and likely the new mini Knight and likely the Imperial Knight Dex to drop along side. That Cryptek is likely our only new model which is a bummer considering our flayed ones and destroyers.

Big things to look forward to/hope for:

#1. Unique rules for 6 dynasties. Ad Mech, Guard, Eldar, and Nids all got expanded options and so will we.

#2. 6 basic wargear (likely recycles of our old with updated rules) + 6 new unique wargear for individual dynasties (I'd expect to see Solar Thermasite back for Mephrit)

#3. 6 basic warlord traits +6 unique for the Dynasties.

#4. Expanded or improved powers and statlines for C'Tan. They currently class as our armies dreadnought, they need to be something more or get drastically cheaper.

#5. Superheavy fix. We're not gonna get a new one so we need to hope for a fix to the Vault and the Obelisk.

#6. Some additional forms of psyker defense. Any army that can't deal with psykers isn't going to be competitive.

Ad Mech vs Cron campaign is whispered for April.

I'd expect Tau and Drukhari in March, then our Dex will drop with the campaign and likely the new mini Knight and likely the Imperial Knight Dex to drop along side. That Cryptek is likely our only new model which is a bummer considering our flayed ones and destroyers.

Big things to look forward to/hope for:

#1. Unique rules for 6 dynasties. Ad Mech, Guard, Eldar, and Nids all got expanded options and so will we.

#2. 6 basic wargear (likely recycles of our old with updated rules) + 6 new unique wargear for individual dynasties (I'd expect to see Solar Thermasite back for Mephrit)

#3. 6 basic warlord traits +6 unique for the Dynasties.

#4. Expanded or improved powers and statlines for C'Tan. They currently class as our armies dreadnought, they need to be something more or get drastically cheaper.

#5. Superheavy fix. We're not gonna get a new one so we need to hope for a fix to the Vault and the Obelisk.

#6. Some additional forms of psyker defense. Any army that can't deal with psykers isn't going to be competitive.

Is this hypothesizing or do you have actual knowledge?

Archived