New Codex, New Cryptek

NTaW

It's the new Cryptek, 3 wraiths, 5 lychguard/praetorians, 5 immortals/Deathmarks. They're saying before the cryptek and Armigers are factored in it's already cheaper than the bunch so good savings.

Immortals are awesome right now. I use them a lot because they're pretty durable and can do a fair amount of damage. Deathmarks have yet to accomplish much for me, though that could change in the codex.

Wraiths are amazing. One of the most durable units I've come across in 8th so far. Always good to add more, imo.

Lychguard have been very good punchy units for me. Ten with Scythes can pump out 20 s7 ap4 d2 hits which chews through a lot. Mine almost neutralized an untouched land raider on the charge. Shields make them a very durable babysitter, if you just have to keep a character alive. I have yet to use praetorians but I'm sure I will after I buy 3 of this box, haha. They have more attacks with the caster/voidblade combo, but lower S and AP. So they should take out something like 11 MEQ in a round of combat but I don't know if they'll make it (and they can't ride Scythes or get Veiled or MWBD because they aren't DYNASTY...).

From some other pics I've seen it looks like a Burning of Prospero situation, just the regular sprues taken and shoved in the box. So assuming that is true the box has the new cryptek, a box of wraiths, a box of praetorians/lychguard, and a box of immortals/deathmarks. If that is infact true this box has some amazing value depending on the price point. I'm actually considering picking it up and using the admech parts to make necron stand in warriors (since skitarii are so robotic) as fallen tech heresy admech

Definitely looks like it will be a solid deal. The exclusion of Warriors and that plastic Overlord model is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, none of the units in the box are a bad choice on the table with the Index and I'm sure they'll be more effective once the Codex is released.

I only wish I didn't hate building Immortals so much :lol:

I prefer immortals to Lychguard... Those :cuss weapon attachment spots are so small.

I agree though, the SC box is good if you need warriors or that plastic overlord. We don't need more ways to get thisr!

This boxset actually has me interested!

So looks like a great buy from Necron perspective, is the Start Collecting a great accomplice to this or is there a good way to expand one box of this into a small fun force?

Necron's with shields - didn't even know they were a thing until I saw this, how bad is that!

This boxset actually has me interested!

So looks like a great buy from Necron perspective, is the Start Collecting a great accomplice to this or is there a good way to expand one box of this into a small fun force?

Necron's with shields - didn't even know they were a thing until I saw this, how bad is that!

Two Forgebane boxes would be better than Forgebane+Start Collecting, I think. You want to run our troops in max squads, and Immortals are much better than Warriors. Pick up an Overlord, your choice of anti-tank (doomsday ark is supposed to be better in the codex so maybe that) and get some scarabs from a bitz seller and you've got the start of a good army.

The SC box isn't worthless. The stalker is good if only for buffing other shooters, and it's decent savings. I'm thinking warriors might get better in the codex, but if you're going to spend $80ish on the stalker and overlord you might as well get the box.

That said, I have gotten one SC box for Necrons and haven't wanted a second, but I'm getting 2 Forgebanes for sure, maybe more. So I agree Forgebane is the better deal overall.

I love my Warrior squads, don't think I'd play without a few of them around a Cryptek at this point. I have found Veil of Darkness to be pretty great with 20 Warriors.

After reading Devourer I'm interested to see if the Cryptek's chronometron rule gets expanded on either in the dataslate or via stratagem. In that book not only are attacks made toward the Necrons slowed but the rate of fire put back out is increased more than double, since the Necrons inside the area of effect are moving at much faster speeds than real-time. It would be cool to see a once per game rule added to the Cryptek's rule allowing for a second round of fire from a nearby unit or a stratagem that allows units close by to a Cryptek to fire again as a result of him employing some aspect of their time bending technologies in battle.

I love my Warrior squads, don't think I'd play without a few of them around a Cryptek at this point. I have found Veil of Darkness to be pretty great with 20 Warriors.

After reading Devourer I'm interested to see if the Cryptek's chronometron rule gets expanded on either in the dataslate or via stratagem. In that book not only are attacks made toward the Necrons slowed but the rate of fire put back out is increased more than double, since the Necrons inside the area of effect are moving at much faster speeds than real-time. It would be cool to see a once per game rule added to the Cryptek's rule allowing for a second round of fire from a nearby unit or a stratagem that allows units close by to a Cryptek to fire again as a result of him employing some aspect of their time bending technologies in battle.

As soon as I have the models, I want to play with 2 ten man squads in Arks and one 20 man squad with a cryptek with the veil, use the deceiver to drop the Arks on the enemy and the veil to get the blob there. Veil shenanigans wreaking havoc on target priority are the best thing I've found so far with Necrons, and that should put a ton of pressure on most armies.

That is a heck of a lot of gauss up in someone's face! My last game I advanced with my Lychguard/Overlord/Immortals until my opponent had moved forward to meet them then dropped 20 Warriors/Cryptek behind the enemy within rapid fire range. It was effective enough I'm going to try and make it happen more often, that's for sure.

Two Forgebane boxes would be better than Forgebane+Start Collecting, I think. You want to run our troops in max squads, and Immortals are much better than Warriors. Pick up an Overlord, your choice of anti-tank (doomsday ark is supposed to be better in the codex so maybe that) and get some scarabs from a bitz seller and you've got the start of a good army.

Many thanks for your reply!  Most of the lists I've browsed use warriors, is there any recommended reading for using Immortals/Praetorians(or the other options) ?  Actually quite fancied the Scythe flyers, don't suppose they make for good anti armour... Ok, where's the wiki on these things :huh.:

What to do to build a list with the content of 3 boxes  Forgebane  ?

I know nothing about necron, is it worth it or 2 are enough? (I am speaking about the NECRON only point of view)

I'd probably take the opportunity to start a necron army...

Thx for your suggestions/inputs

BolterZorro, I'd say that three Forgebane boxes would give you a Battalion Detachment at least though I don't know how effective an army it would be without knowing all the fancy new rules coming out.

Speaking of fancy new rules though:

40675099612_13867bf4ee.jpg

39822823585_231a3c8b6a.jpg

Looks like I'll be playing my blueCrons using orangeCron rules! +1 AP at half range makes me happy. Anyone like the other options?

I honestly like all of these. Some I won't use as often, but I really feel like any of these could make good lists, unlike some of the Forge World doctrines and Chapter Tactics out there. I agree though that Mephrit looks best to me right now, but Sautekh looks amazing also. Between the two it might come down to relics and stratagems.

Nephrekh looks like it's just asking for a stratagem that allows shooting/charging after advancing. Even without it I could see armies with a focus on tesla weaponry having a real party with that code.

I think I may end up doing a Battalion Detachment using the Mephrit code (the shooty stuff) and a Outrider Detachment using the Novokh code (the stabby stuff) if that's doable. If I get another couple croissants it'll be a Flyer Detachment using the Sautekh code for sure.

At first I was sad to not see (yet, anyway) anything representing Thokt but am kinda happy that my colour scheme doesn't readily represent a Dynasty in the rules. I feel more free to employ the rules to my unit's advantage, as would befit an ancient and pragmatic robot as far as I'm concerned. Why program combat subroutines into your Warrior class when you can program them to be better at shooting?

My colour scheme is based on Nihilakh, but I’m not a fan of that dynasty trait. Most of our units have short range, so I find I’m usually pushing forwards. Also I play Cadians, so I get my gun line needs fixed elsewhere.

Luckily my fluff is its own thing, so I won’t feel bad running mephrit or sautekh instead.

It knows 4 powers but can use 3 a turn at max health, very similar to a psyker knowing more powers than it can cast per turn. Nothing suspicious. Found more on Dakka:

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520805525974.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520805606196.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520808219491.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520807005011.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520807068626.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520811858552.png

http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1520808120480.png

Eh. Well, the stratagems looks real cool and this at least gives the Monolith BS 3+ at first. Hope this is all as real as the Dynastic Codes were.

QUeDee4-1024x705.png

Archived