New Codex, New Cryptek

NTaW

It seems that the leaked "beta-codex" was the final version all along.

I laughed out loud when I saw that the error regarding to Deathmarks/Lychguard being Troops in the summary and Elites in the armylist made it into the final print. That's quite frankly embarrassing. 

Yeah that itself is proof that GW don't proof read anything. Just like the Indexes and Forgeworld indexes were riddled with errors it's so embarrassing.

So if this full release codex has that error I assume the collectors edition is the same right? Imagine somebody throwing out the money for that special edition and it's got such a stupid blaring error in it. It's not that big a deal but for the people who are in the mindset for collectors editions it is pretty significant...

Shame to see everything leaked was 100% accurate but it doesn't really sadden me much. As for errors, every book has them at print. It's one of the most consistent things they have going for them. At least now GW is committed to producing FAQ/errata entries on the regular.

On the bright side, we essentially got our book weeks early thanks to the leak. It’s given us a chance to look through and start play-testing potential lists to see what we’ll like, dislike, and what changes we can make if we’re going for fun or competitive lists.

On the bright side, we essentially got our book weeks early thanks to the leak. It’s given us a chance to look through and start play-testing potential lists to see what we’ll like, dislike, and what changes we can make if we’re going for fun or competitive lists.

I was lucky enough to have a cool opponent who let me use the leaked rules in a game a week or so ago, it was a blast. Can't wait to have the book in hand (and some new models to bring the collection to 2500 points of course).

So now we get to guess if Deathmarks and Lychguard are troops or elites. The symbols elite, but their points placement is in the troops section. Either one could be the mistake. To help keep us guessing, the Deathmarks and Lychguard data sheets are on the opposite page to warriors and immortals, meaning they could be the continuation of the troop list or the start of the elites list.

And so now we have to wait another 2 weeks for the faq to play our army properly....

Of course not. It's quite obvious that the army list, dataslate entry is the correct one as that's he rules for the unit.

The points section is used for 1 thing only... points.

Unless you're seriously considering that Guilliman with such a misprint would cease to be a Lord of War?

Anyway, enough of that...

I'm seriously considering a close combat Necrons list. 3 units of Wraiths, Command Barge, Destroyer Lord (he doesn't have to lead Destroyers ya know...) and then fill up on Troops and Barges.

Probably going to add a Doomsday Ark or 2 for funsies.

I would if they moved him from LoW to HQ. Just like we see Imotekh as an HQ instead of a LoW, which he was in 7th. But I think that’s an extreme comparison. This is more like assault marines moving out of troops choice.

I’m just saying I find it equally plausible that GW copy and pasted the data entries with out changing the elite logo as I find it plausible that they pasted the points entry into the wrong section.

Do I think they’re still elites, yeah most likely. But, GW may have thought the units played better as a troop choice and so moved them.

It's obvious what role they are supposed to be. But the point is how does such an error make it through beta testing and still go to final print. No such fact checking or proof reading or even a response to feedback from beta testing?

Don't you think that's weird? Or at least a bit concerning about how it's possible?

And you can guarantee *somebody* is going to try argue the case that they should be troops because of it... regardless of common sense, just to get an advantage.

I've worked in editing in the past, and that kind of error is frankly not that rare.  I think we see them more in books like ours in part because GW's rules team is not huge and they have at times pretty harsh deadlines, but also the fact that it's a game system people are trying to squeeze advantages out of makes them notice these things more than a textbook or something.  But I've read bestselling books that went to print with disastrous errors overlooked, like having the same exact same paragraph twice in a row, or names from older drafts being used, or in one case several lines of gibberish.  So, I don't find it particularly weird or concerning.  Not to say I don't wish it wasn't the case, though.

Having now built one of the new crypteks, it's a good model. It's bigger than I had realized from previous videos. His body itself is bigger than finecast Necrons (at least the ones I have) and obviously he's suspended off the base. I don't think it'll be too hard to make it without the Cloak, either. I have a second one yet to build so when Nurgle decides to back off I'll get to work on it. The fluff in the box is also better than previous campaign boxes I've picked up. I feel like it adds a little without really changing anything (at least on its own, who knows howuch Blackstone will be shoved down our throats in the future).

Hey Tyriks, you have time to snap a pic of a pic with the new Cryptek and anything for height reference? A simple measurement works as well just curious really. I really want that model without the rest of the FB stuff, trying to decide whether I can wait for an individual release or not.

Here you go.  Pot of paint, Zandrekh or Primaris Librarian, whichever you're most familiar with: KEMnO1Dh.jpg

He's less than twice as tall as Zandrekh and Obyron, but not by much.  

So, with the confirmation that the leaked codex was the final form of it, i decided to try and make 2000 pts list to see what I could fit. I don’t own any Necron yet and would like to get your seals of approval on this list before I buy anything. I would greatly appreciate if you guys could give me any kind of feedback on what I should and shouldn’t buy/play for necrons.

Bataillon detachment - nephrekh dynasty

HQ

• Catacomb command barge - 138

Tesla Cannon - 13

Warscyth - 11

Resurrection orb - 35

- 197 points

Cryptek - 70

Staff of light - 10

Canoptek cloak - 5

85 points

TROOPS

• 20 Necron Warriors - 240

240 points

10 immortal - 80

Tesla carbine - 90

- 170 points

10 immortal - 80

Tesla carbine - 90

170 points

Outrider detachment - nephrekh dynasty

HQ

Cryptek - 70

Staff of light - 10

Canoptek cloak - 5

85 points

FAST ATTACK

Destroyers - 90

2 Destroyers, 1 heavy destroyer

2 gauss Cannon - 40

1 heavy gauss cannon - 27

157 points

6 tomb blades - 84

Gauss blasters - 108

- 192 points

3 Canoptek scarabs - 39

39 points

Spearhead detachment- Nihilakh Dynasty

HQ

• lord - 73

Staff of light - 10

83 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

193 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

193 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

- 193 points

I’d suggest switching to Mephrit for your Outrider detachment. You may get more mileage out of the additional -1 ap over the 6” advance.

I’m also still in the fence with 20 man warrior blobs. (I haven’t played a lot of games yet, so I could easily be wrong) But I can think you should drop 10 and add 2 more destroyers. You may not have the points for the D lord, but more will benefit from he strat.

Also, Tesla is awesome when you roll a chunk of 6’s.

I want to play the destroyers as nephrekh because I want to deepstrike them, but the rest of my fast attacks don’t have to be nephrekh so I just put the destroyers in the bataillon and I split the tomb blades in two squads in a mephrit detachment.

Bataillon detachment - nephrekh dynasty

HQ

• Catacomb command barge - 138

Tesla Cannon - 13

Warscyth - 11

Resurrection orb - 35

- 197 points

Cryptek - 70

Staff of light - 10

Canoptek cloak - 5

85 points

TROOPS

• 20 Necron Warriors - 240

240 points

10 immortal - 80

Tesla carbine - 90

- 170 points

10 immortal - 80

Tesla carbine - 90

170 points

FAST ATTACK

Destroyers - 90

2 Destroyers, 1 heavy destroyer

2 gauss Cannon - 40

1 heavy gauss cannon - 27

157 points

Outrider detachment - mephrit dynasty

HQ

Cryptek - 70

Staff of light - 10

Canoptek cloak - 5

85 points

FAST ATTACK

3 tomb blades - 42

Gauss blasters - 54

96 points

3 tomb blades - 42

Gauss blasters - 54

96 points

3 Canoptek scarabs - 39

39 points

Spearhead detachment- Nihilakh Dynasty

HQ

• lord - 73

Staff of light - 10

83 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

193 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

193 points

Doomsday Ark - 193

- 193 points

I’m still not sure what to use for my relics, but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna use the warlord trait that lets you deny a psychic power and automatically pass moral tests, on my CCB.

New fluff on an alternate faction of Crypteks:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/technomandrite-crypteks.jpg

My reaction:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/615/323/027.jpg

Just saw a kinda blurry pic of the points page of the Codex and everything I checked was identical to the leak. At least I don't have to redo my lists :lol:

Curious to see what gets changed or clarified in the post release FAQ/errata.

Just to confirm I understand the rule correctly:

Ghost Arks are awesome-o for Warriors because they essentially allow you TWO Reanimation Protocol rolls, correct? (but not three because it explicitly disallows you to use Ghost Ark ability in addition to Rez Orb or Relic).

Amiright?

Archived