Dreadnought armies in 8th

The Wolfguard

So I've heard people talk about running dreadnoughts armies this edition. My questions are how well have these ran? Which marine codexs have you used? I know people run the chaplain dreadnoughts hq but has anyone looked at Carab Culln? He looks pretty good if expensive!

I have a huge load of dreadnoughts already and am wondering how to run them as a little force for fun and maximise the amount of choice available, anything super fluffy or that synergises very well?

On that point, will that effect stack indefinitely if it doesn't say something like "Will not stack with other effects..." Because Carab Culln applies the exact same effect to all friendlies within 6 inches of him. So if running him, with iron hand tactics, would you then get two 6+'s on everything (red scorpion) within 6 inches of him? That could start to come up with insane amounts of toughness, combined with other dreads with similar rules and iron hands chapter tactic.

There is a fundamental weakness that stops the effectiveness of all Dread (or all NDK) armies, even though GW pushed the idea at the launch of 8th.

All your opponent has to do is stick objectives and units on the top floor of ruins and Dreads are unable to either contest/control the objective or Assault any units up there.

That aside, there are only two (IIRC) HQ choices for an all Dread army (Maybe 3 with Ashmantle?).  A Blood Angel Librarian Dread and a FW Chaplain Dread.  Which really limits your options for all Dread armies.

Well the HQ I'm interested in is Carab Culln a forgeworld leviathan dreadnought hq model. He has a seemingly very cool rule that combos with dreads. In honesty we don't play with too much in the way of ruins/top floors so that wouldn't be too much of an issue to be honest, and it's not like it'd be the most competitive army anyway just something for a bit of fun.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Downloads/Carab_Culln_The_Risen_2017.pdf

That's the rules for the HQ I'm thinking, pair his aura with the Iron Hands Chapter tactic and we seem to be having a party with at least 2 6+++'s on every dread near him.

His rule "Proud to live, proud to die, hard to kill" only works on Red Scorpions.  You couldn't combo it with Iron Hands.

Edit: Ah I see.  There's no chapter tactics for Red Scoripons, so you run them with IH Chapter tactics.

Yup, that would stack two 6+++ saves on each Red Scorpion/Iron Hand dread.

Tasty.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

What rules allow for them to have two keywords? They both require having their respective keywords.

Chapter Tactics, not keyword.

If a chapter's parent chapter is unknown it can use any chapter tactic it wants.

I don't recall if the Red Scorpions founding chapter is known, but if it is not having the Red Scorpions keyword and using Iron Hands tactics is perfectly legal.

Also, with Venerable and Relic Contemptor dreads, they would actually get 3 FNP rolls.

Too bad Ashmantle can only be Warlord if there are no other HQ units in the list.

Edit: Just looked it up. The Red Scorpions founding chapter is indeed unknown. Iron Hands tactics is perfectly legal.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Ah, I see it now. The CT rules are very badly worded in this regard, as each of them specifically references units with both the keyword and the tactic, implying they only work with their Keyword, but it doesn't seem like that's the intention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a fundamental weakness that stops the effectiveness of all Dread (or all NDK) armies, even though GW pushed the idea at the launch of 8th.

All your opponent has to do is stick objectives and units on the top floor of ruins and Dreads are unable to either contest/control the objective or Assault any units up there.

From my opinion that's more or less intentional. It's hard to imagine an all Dreads army in a tactical fight. While a chapter which uses a full squad of Dreads for everything could potentially exist, there is no reason to support it's efficiency by rules. A Detachment of Dreads is  another story fluffwise and it could be effective according to current rules.