Angelus no more... Malevolence is Now!

Charlo

So the Schedule for the weekender is up!

https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2018/01/29/horus-heresy-necromunda-weekender-2018-the-schedule/

Angelus is no longer the name of the next campaign book... It is now: 

Malevolence! 

Interesting. I'm hoping it's still Angelus (BA/ DA/ NL/ Daemons/ Dark Mech) but with a different name... But maybe not?!

Let the wild speculation begin!

So the Schedule for the weekender is up!

https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2018/01/29/horus-heresy-necromunda-weekender-2018-the-schedule/

Angelus is no longer the name of the next campaign book... It is now:

Malevolence!

Interesting. I'm hoping it's still Angelus (BA/ DA/ NL/ Daemons/ Dark Mech) but with a different name... But maybe not?!

Let the wild speculation begin!

YEAH

According to the schedule, John French has been involved in some way. I know we'll all likely feel Alan's absence as the books move forward, but I feel like French has made strong lore contributions to the Heresy as an author, so this seems to be to be a good move at the very least.

According to the schedule, John French has been involved in some way. I know we'll all likely feel Alan's absence as the books move forward, but I feel like French has made strong lore contributions to the Heresy as an author, so this seems to be to be a good move at the very least.

I was under the impression that he had written some parts of the FW black books before. He and Alan Bligh collaborated on other stuff and shared ideas regardless but I thought that the FW heresy books were a bit like RPG sourcebooks, the work of multiple authors (rules, campaigns, different bits of background) with one writer-editor guiding the process.

Could be wrong though, can't recall where I got this impression in the first place...

Aye, that's pretty much it. I remember speaking to Alan at the second Weekender and he was talking about how he had done the background for the Iron Hands and another of the Legions, and John the other two. Same goes for book 3, where John had a lot of input with regards to at the very least the Imperial Fists.

Huh, didn't realise that at all. That bodes well for consistency of tone between the books then, hopefully.

However... Where the previous black books have all had titles that tie in with their content, 'Malevolence' as a title doesn't necessarily scream any aspect of the remaining three legions, to me at least. It could refer to Daemons and the warp being bad news, and could equally be applied to Dark Mech. If they've gone away from a BA/DA book and Angelus, as was, becomes Book IX it'll be very interesting to hear their reasoning.

Rampant speculation:

For timing reasons, especially due to Alan Bligh’s passing, they’ve decided to cut down Angelus. Malevolence is probably the DA, NL, and Daemons portions that were much further along, both fluff and crunch wise. The BA will get rolled into either the one that will (finally) feature the White Scars or featured in the Siege of Terra one, with “backdating” campaigns and backstory.

My guess, and nothing more than that.

I have had a suspicion that so much of the IX Legion details were in Alan’s Head, and GW (BL, FW, studio proper combined) didn’t want to say/do too much with such an iconic force until they had his input. As a result, there has been a strange absence of the red quarter of the “Big Four” throughout almost all of the HH novel series and FW campaign books. Like, to point there aren’t even BA on Garro’s Knights Errant or even mentions to them by other in-universe parties in nearly all of the novels (in contrast, almost every novel as references such as “savage as a Space Wolf,” “sneaky as a Raven Guard,” in one shape or form). The absence is quite telling, and my guess is that the common “brief” for the BA never was quite established.

As long as all factions are done justice, I’m happy however they want to space out the books.

I'm assuming the title change from Angelus (...because Dark and Blood Angels) to Malevolence is probably because of the possible greater involvement of Daemons in the campaigns and conflicts within the book itself.

Also, Night Lords...the Dark Angels aren't so nice either when you get on their naughty list and, now that I think about it, neither would the Blood Angels be when they go full "RIP OUT THEIR JUGGULARS" vampires.

I'm also betting on PROBABLY some Dark Mech involvement or presence in the book.

So, yeah, rampant speculation but Malevolence would seem to fit what we MIGHT be able to reasonably expect to find in the book.

I wish i was going! I hope John has taken over the Heresy, he's a brilliant evocative writer & has some excellent experinece not jsut with the previous black books but the fantasy flight rpgs, as well as being the licencing manager of GW - check out his LinkedIn profile

Projects

Publications
  • The Praetorian of Dorn Black Library

The Praetorian of Dorn is the 39th book in New York Times bestselling Horus Heresy series.

Authors:
  • Ahriman: Unchanged Black Library

Ahriman: Unchanged is the concluding book in the Ahriman trilogy, and brings the infamous sorcerer's quest for salvation to the end of its begining.

Authors:
  • Ahriman: Sorcerer Black Library

Ahriman: Sorcerer is the second book in the Ahriman trilogy, following the infamous sorcerer's rise to power and quest for salvation.

Authors:
  • Ahriman: Exile Black Library

Ahriman: Exile tells the story of one of the most infamous villains of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Authors:
  • The Hungering God Fantasy Flight Publishing

The Lies of Solace is the third novel in The Lord of Nightmares Trilogy, based on the popular Arkham Horror board game.

Authors:
  • The Lies of Solace Fantasy Flight Publishing

The Lies of Solace is the second novel in The Lord of Nightmares Trilogy, based on the popular Arkham Horror board game.

Authors:
  • Deathwatch Fantasy Flight Games

Deathwatch is a roleplaying game, set in Games Workshop's universe of Warhammer 40,000, in which you take on the role of a member of the Adeptus Astartes - the devout, bio-engineered super-soldiers also known as Space Marines.

Authors:
  • Rogue Trader Fantasy Flight Games

Rogue Trader is a role play game set in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 universe, in which you take on the role of a Rogue Trader and his most trusted counsellors, empowered by an ancient warrant of trade to seek out profit and plunder amongst unexplored regions of space.

Authors:
  • Dark Heresy Fantasy Flight Games

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind.

Authors:

I'm hoping this is just Angelus bar a title change in all honesty. And if that is the case, I'd actually be over the moon. I've never really liked the name "Angelus", it just doesn't fit with the naming theme of the other black books. 

And me, Angelus never really fit. Hopefully it was just a working title so people knew what it would probably contain, and the contents wont be altered much.

At this point I'd be happy with a single page PDF of rules, RoW's and a few Named characters for the First Legion. I would hope it would have just a splash more than is already out but I'd be pleased to have it. If it were a thing. 
I'm interested to see what the new book holds but have no expectations really. 

By White Scars First Captain...who do they mean?

Was Jubal Khan the First Captain? It seemed that Jemulan Noyan-Khan, Hasik Noyan-Khan, and Qin Xa all outranked him.

I would be ecstatic if the Lord of Summer Lightning gets rules.

Also, I'm wondering how FW plans to handle Chondax. The AL assassinate/ambush some WS...but there were no real AL vs. WS battles. Only, at most, minor incidents I'd imagine...and word of those never even got to the Scars' leadership.

Don't get me wrong...I'm tremendously excited, just custious how FW are going to spin Chondax!

When it comes to the named White Scar characters, things are still fairly open. One of the ideas they were floating in the seminar that resonated with me was to have one of the characters Terran born and the other being from Chogoris. This would allow them to look at the Legion pre and post the finding of the Primarch, and could even follow down to the schism of the Legion with one remaining loyal and the other turning traitor. It's a good little idea, and I hope that they run through it.

What they did say was that they didn't want to focus too much on characters that weren't in the conflicts that they're covering in the book, or focus on characters that end up being killed off fairly quickly in the Black Library timelines. 

Archived