Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Brother Corbulo

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use Corbulo?

To compliment a list, or to build a list around?

How are you making the most out of the Red Grail? What units are you regularly buffing?

Footslog or transport? What type?

Are you remembering his re-rolls? (seriously, everyone forgets these regularly since third...) What do you tend to use it on - anything or do you save it?

Stratagems?

Over to you

First a breakdown of how useful he is:

He is a priest with a free reroll for his nathecium.

His 6+ buff is model only but is similar to a captain buff in efficiency.

There is two ways I have used him

1- classic rhino with 9 DC, With a few power swords. Optional chaplain. With the chap we are looking at 30 wounds (pre save) on T4 by DC alone.

2- the surprisingly good intercessor. I have used him with 2-3 squads of intercessor and a captain and it was surprisingly good. The reroll helps to revive them with 2 wounds a piece and each squad have (11)12 attacks s5 reroll 1 additional attacks on 6. As I usually deep strike DC and Friends early game these guys are often forgotten and even if they are foot soldier they come in as second wave or as a block contesting objectives. Also a lot of players don’t consider them as assault units but with corb buff and red thirst they become assault troops.

Now you may say that a lot of what I just said can apply to generic sanguinary priest, but the reroll and exploding 6 are pretty good addition.

I think the proper way to look at Corbulo is: Are his abilities that exceed a regular Sang. Priest's abilities, worth the difference in price (25 points)?

I would argue 'yes', assuming you make proper use of the bonus rolls for the eligible models within 6" of Corbulo.  Corbulo's one generic re-roll per turn is a nice benefit but not a game-changer.  I think Brother Crimson has it right: deploy him with DC.

He shouldn't really have lists built around him, any more than a regular Sang. Priest should have lists built around them.

I think the proper way to look at Corbulo is: Are his abilities that exceed a regular Sang. Priest's abilities, worth the difference in price (25 points)?

This is exactly my thinking. He's been in nearly all of my games replacing a standard Sanguinary Priest. He's not much more expensive and his abilities are definitely worth the extra. I like keeping him with units I want to make sure stick around. Re-rolling the 4+ to bring a model back is very useful and if you don't need it you can squander the re-roll somewhere else :tongue.:

His Red Grail ability is very nice and of course he has a slightly better stat line and Heavens Teeth too so yeah, worth the extra 25 points in my book.

After seeing the BA list from the LVO I kinda like the idea of having a sanguinary priest with a bunch of intercessors. With corb it’s just icing on the cake. They all match his speed and he can give them a lot of help in melee.

I don’t think he’s all that optimal with the death company due to the fact that he doesn’t have a jump pack. DC currently are the bees-knees with a jump pack as it allows them to reach the enemy at the cheapest cost possible. With corb your stuck footslogging which doesn’t work as well considering how quickly the DC drop. A jump pack priest would be better suited I feel. Although I might be missing something.

Seeing as how the jump pack option has been taken from our codex Sanguinary Priest (I know we can still use the index...for now), I think he's worth paying the slight increase more.  His added points is the equivalent of what, a lascannon?  I think he'd be just as efficient.  

A delivery option could be to stick him in the same drop pod as Mephiston that many of us have been toying with in list design.  He could be left in the open this way when Mephy eventually moves, but with the new character rules it shouldn't be too difficult to ensure nothing can at least shoot him for the turn he's sitting there.

Still need to get my hands on a new Sanguinary Priest model. All my top spots are going to be filled with regular Space Marines whose job it is to lead the Primaris Marines until there are some who are worthy to take over their spot (or they die in battle).

That way I can use my Library Dead as Chief Librarian, Captain Smash as Chapter Master, that sweet Sanguinary Priest model as Sanguinary High Priest (possibly as Corbulo counts-as even) and that sweet Chaplain model as High Chaplain (possibly as Astorath counts-as). :P

I'm just not sure whether I really want to go the counts-as route (since everybody is using the Blood Angels faction keyword anyway) or do my own thing with them. Corbulo is great but I feel like he's lacking something flashy to be an awesome High Priest.

Do you mean to imply that only individual models within 6" of Corbulo get the extra attacks? Because the rule says "...for a model in a friendly Blood Angels unit that is within 6"...". As long as one model is within 6", the whole unit has it.

I've used Corbulo in a drop pod to support Death Company. Any unit with a reroll to hit benefits greatly from the Red Grail, and it is in this that I think he has his best performance. The drop pod wasn't in the list for Corbulo, but rather, he hitched a ride with Mephiston. When points allow, I'll always consider Corbulo for a support character, as long as I've got a way for him to get to the front lines.

Corbulo has always felt very robin like to me, as in bat man and robin.

This has changed the way I will view the Mephiston - Corbulo pairing, forever :D

Some thought - provoking comments here. If using jump DC with Lemartes, why not pod corbs next to Lemartes. I would keep one DC model within 6" of Lemartes anyway for the charge and fight re rolls, and the Corb bonuses would mean 15DC could mulch two ten - man MEQs in one charge. In theory at least.

Edited by Shaezus

Do you mean to imply that only individual models within 6" of Corbulo get the extra attacks? Because the rule says "...for a model in a friendly Blood Angels unit that is within 6"...". As long as one model is within 6", the whole unit has it.

I've used Corbulo in a drop pod to support Death Company. Any unit with a reroll to hit benefits greatly from the Red Grail, and it is in this that I think he has his best performance. The drop pod wasn't in the list for Corbulo, but rather, he hitched a ride with Mephiston. When points allow, I'll always consider Corbulo for a support character, as long as I've got a way for him to get to the front lines.

Since index FAQ, I have always played him with only individual models within 6 gets the 6+ extra attack. You make me doubt my interpretation.

Do you mean to imply that only individual models within 6" of Corbulo get the extra attacks? Because the rule says "...for a model in a friendly Blood Angels unit that is within 6"...". As long as one model is within 6", the whole unit has it.

Since index FAQ, I have always played him with only individual models within 6 gets the 6+ extra attack. You make me doubt my interpretation.

Well...your interpretation is wrong after all. It really talks about models in a unit that is in range. Translated: the unit needs to be in range (eg part of a single model of the unit) and then all the models benefit from the effect. ;)

After seeing the BA list from the LVO I kinda like the idea of having a sanguinary priest with a bunch of intercessors. With corb it’s just icing on the cake. They all match his speed and he can give them a lot of help in melee.

I don’t think he’s all that optimal with the death company due to the fact that he doesn’t have a jump pack. DC currently are the bees-knees with a jump pack as it allows them to reach the enemy at the cheapest cost possible. With corb your stuck footslogging which doesn’t work as well considering how quickly the DC drop. A jump pack priest would be better suited I feel. Although I might be missing something.

You make some excellent points, although no unit is going to be the right choice always.  Corbulo's lack of jump pack option perhaps disqualifies him from DC jump pack lists.  I would certainly stick him with DC advancing up the field of play in a Rhino.  The Mephy pod thing is a possibility, as others have previously mentioned.

It comes down to whether the word "that" in the rule is referring to the model in question, or the unit, as "that" comes after both of those words in the same damn sentence.  Grimaldus was worded bizarrely in C:SM and when they FAQ'd his rule, it is now written just as Corbulo's is.  The general consensus for Grim is that the aura affects models within 6", not units.  It's still worded ridiculously poorly.  That said, I feel the mention of a unit would be arbitrary if it was merely meant to affect models within 6" and if anyone can find a rule that affects friendly <X> models within range without mentioning units, that would certainly help solve things :tongue.:

Edited by Firepower

That said, I feel the mention of a unit would be arbitrary if it was merely meant to affect models within 6" and if anyone can find a rule that affects friendly <X> models within range without mentioning units, that would certainly help solve things :tongue.:

From Codex BA:

Standard of Sacrifice: "Roll a d6 each time a friendly Blood Angels Infantry or Blood Angels Biker model within 6" of the bearer..."

Lightning claws are the “best” pairing for units hoofing it with Corbs.

Against MEQ, that means you’re wounding on 2’s re-rolling while the +1A from 2x LC means more chances for exploding 6’s To Hit.

And since Corbs is a footslogger...I’d say Cataphractii Termies w/ LC are the best accompaniment. Throw in a Term Anc for re-rolls and 5+++ from SoS...and you got one heck of a nice little bomb unit.

I have a unit of 5 bolter DC on foot from 7th I haven't used yet this edition. I was thinking of giving them some power swords to run with Corbulo and go after T4-T5 targets with low wounds per model.

My thinking is Corbulo himself only has single damage in melee so he'd be a bit wasted paired with my Hammer units, whereas in this little group they'd mix together well - plus the extra attack of DC gives more chance of triggering the Red Grail. It'd also put those foot DC to use.

I don't think they'd stand out with a big target over their heads compared to other units/groups but if ignored they could dish out a lot of damage against infantry.