How are your Custodes doing?

Was a bit dicey when he nullzone me but tbh still have 5+ against even lascannons without the invuln and an allarus just piled into the libby and ganked him lol

Well I gotta admit that is impressive. When the emperors finest don’t even have an invuln or psychic defence, and they can solve that by just deciding to ‘gank’ the Librarian, that’s pretty awesome.

That is a very important lesson, multicharge everything you could possibly want to pile into, especially with allarus terminators, using concussion grenades against whatever units needs charging.

I ended up in some stupid situations when not declaring charges against enough potential charges.

I've been playing some games with 3 units of bikes and a captain alongside guard/sm for bodies, psychic denial, and area denial. It has been working well but having the 3 squads meant I usually only ever deepstruck one, with the other 2 squads in terrain. Versus heavy weapons lists this has been hit or miss.

Thinking of changing it up to a patrol, 1 unit of guard, 2 larger units of bikes, that way I can deepstrike them both if alpha strike is a concern.

The way its worded it read it as each detach has to have the same keyword, not the entire army. Thats supported by the way they worded the null maidens rule further down. So the AM detachment is still going to be a thing. Unfortunately my antipsyker sisters/greyfax/culexus is no longer viable.

Also theres a big nerf to allarus not being able to come down turn one. So thats likely turn 3 they get into combat. Looks like everyone is going to continue to invest in bikes. Great. The one thing I wanted to avoid.

The way its worded it read it as each detach has to have the same keyword, not the entire army. Thats supported by the way they worded the null maidens rule further down. So the AM detachment is still going to be a thing. Unfortunately my antipsyker sisters/greyfax/culexus is no longer viable.

Also theres a big nerf to allarus not being able to come down turn one. So thats likely turn 3 they get into combat. Looks like everyone is going to continue to invest in bikes. Great. The one thing I wanted to avoid.

You can't, since the common keyword for Adeptus Custodes and Astra Militarum is 'IMPERIUM', which they specifically prohibit.

You can't, since the common keyword for Adeptus Custodes and Astra Militarum is 'IMPERIUM', which they specifically prohibit.

Inside one DETACHMENT, so you can not have a Primaris Psiker + 3 Assasins in one detachment or Greyfax with Sisters of Silence, but you can still mix detachments of different factions in the army.

Inside one DETACHMENT, so you can not have a Primaris Psiker + 3 Assasins in one detachment or Greyfax with Sisters of Silence, but you can still mix detachments of different factions in the army.

This is how I understand it. No more mixing detachments of stuff, so you need to plan your detachments out better.

Auxillary Support still helps you bring in that lone Assassin, but you can also now bring three Assassins without an HQ for a Vanguard detachment with +0CP. Neat.

This is how I understand it. No more mixing detachments of stuff, so you need to plan your detachments out better.

Auxillary Support still helps you bring in that lone Assassin, but you can also now bring three Assassins without an HQ for a Vanguard detachment with +0CP. Neat.

The way I'm reading it, is basically that every detachment needs to share a common faction keyword, which cannot be 'IMPERIUM'. That would mean that Custodes can't be mixed at all though. Otherwise, it feels like nothing is changing at all. You can still just spam different detachments with 'IMPERIUM' or 'CHAOS' rather easily.

I'm not a native speaker, so it may just be a misunderstanding.

Edited by Helycon

You can still just spam different detachments with 'IMPERIUM' or 'CHAOS' rather easily.

Yes, you totally can. It just became a bit harder to include some good models from the Indexes into your army by putting them into the mixed detachment.

Just to be clear (from the FAQ):

“All of the units in each Detachment in your Battle-forged army must have at least one Faction keyword in common. In addition, this keyword cannot be Chaos, Imperium, Aeldari, Ynnari or Tyranids, unless the Detachment in question is a Fortification Network. This has no effect on your Army Faction.”

You can happily have a Custodes detachment and a separate AM detachment in the same army. You just can’t have Custodes and guardsmen in the same detachment.

Helycon may be confusing Detachment and Army. The Army is unaffected by that rule change. The Detachment is. Your Army is made up of Detachments. You may not mix units from different factions in a Detachment. But you can have Detachments from different factions in an Army.

IE: Your Brigade Detachment that had Astra Militarum(some company commanders, Infantry Squads, Hellhounds, and Leman Russ tanks) and Custodes (Shield-Captain and Allarus) in it is no longer Battle-Forged. But your Army that has an Astra Militarum Battalion Detachment and Custodes Vanguard Detachment is fine.

As for the effect: It matters in tournaments. People were willingly throwing aside Doctrines/Tactics/etc. to bring together a best-of-the-best Detachment, and then bringing in other Detachments for CP support. This change, along with the Rule of 3, seeks to end that.

Edited by CaptainMarsh

Helycon may be confusing Detachment and Army. The Army is unaffected by that rule change. The Detachment is. Your Army is made up of Detachments. You may not mix units from different factions in a Detachment. But you can have Detachments from different factions in an Army.

IE: Your Brigade Detachment that had Astra Militarum(some company commanders, Infantry Squads, Hellhounds, and Leman Russ tanks) and Custodes (Shield-Captain and Allarus) in it is no longer Battle-Forged. But your Army that has an Astra Militarum Battalion Detachment and Custodes Vanguard Detachment is fine.

As for the effect: It matters in tournaments. People were willingly throwing aside Doctrines/Tactics/etc. to bring together a best-of-the-best Detachment, and then bringing in other Detachments for CP support. This change, along with the Rule of 3, seeks to end that.

What threw me off is the word 'each' in the explanation. I understand it, but it still makes zero sense to me how this limits people a lot. It's probably because I'm not into the whole tournament scene at all, but just cramming every single faction into an army isn't overly difficult but does feel like a bad idea. I reckon I'm just overcomplicating.

Thanks for the effort anyway :)

I honestly would've liked it more if they gave the +5/+12 CP from Batallions/Brigades to armies that are battle forged from a single faction to incentivize a mono Custodes build more while soup armies only get +3/+9 like they used to. As it stands, it's a bit of a wash that doesn't help mono army builds as much as it should have but overall the FAQ itself is decent enough, just glad I get to start with 8 CP now!

Edited by Mr. Funktastic

I think the CP buff is useful in as much as we get more out of a spent CP than, say, Astra Militarum do. And past a certain point, extra CP is...almost whatever? In a Matched Play game you are limited in terms of Strategem use since you can't spam the same one. 1 CP spent on a Custode Strategem is much more dangerous than a CP spent on an AM Strategem on average.

@Helycon- The way I look at it is this way: If you were playing the game the way it was meant to be played, the Soup change doesn't effect you. If you played the game in a WAAC cheese manner, it hurts you enough to force you back into place.

What threw me off is the word 'each' in the explanation. I understand it, but it still makes zero sense to me how this limits people a lot. It's probably because I'm not into the whole tournament scene at all, but just cramming every single faction into an army isn't overly difficult but does feel like a bad idea. I reckon I'm just overcomplicating.

Thanks for the effort anyway :)

To be fair, I don’t think it is meant to limit normal players like us. What it’s designed to limit is something like a chaos player taking a super heavy detachment and filling it with Mortarion, Magnus and a Renegade Knight. They’d fill the detachment becaus they all had the chaos keyword in common but otherwise they’re pretty unconnected models and the person is clearly exploiting the rules to field the models and get three cp for doing it.

It’s to stop people just throwing the best units from several codexes into a single detachment and gaining a huge advantage. Now, the player in my example would need to take 3 superheavy auxilliary to field the same models in an army which would pretty much prevent him taking anything else.

I like it as a change as it doesn’t affect those of us who take allies for fluff reasons but it does stop the waac crowd exploiting the system so easily.

Overall it’s nice we have more CP to use now. Deepstrike changes hurt us a little bit (another strike against allarus) however now if you hold your units in DS you are really protected because your backlines can’t be assaulted either. So overall I think it’s fine.

And yes. You can still take an AM detachment. You just can’t put assassins into it and call it imperium. You can also take your assassins now without paying commander tax. Both good changes. But no more splashing greyfax (I believe inquisition being left out was oversight OR there is a codex coming soon) or Celestine (again possibly due to codex soon? Haha).

So overall it’s fine imo but definitely my allarus are retired after this nexttournament.