How are your Custodes doing?

I only have 10 but if you had more I would reccomend bulking up. However no unit died during the game, a squad was reduced to a single 1 wound guardian but that was it

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZKd_s6hkC24/W-nAFlDx_EI/AAAAAAAATfw/tyGVc_1-0_o4bEKaTQm8ff2RzQ5XtFNewCLcBGAs/s1600/chads.png

Best luck, I'm first in my league, but with guard crusader combo

Edited by noigrim

Played a fun game tonight, wanted to try out my dreadnought talon.

Custodes

Shield cap axe

Bike cap 3++

Bike cap 3++

3x3 custodians 1 shield in each

Vexilla magnifica

Achillus

Exemplar with plasma ejectors

Telemon with twin caestus

The Orks

New Warboss on trike thingy

Warboss

Big Mek KFF

Weirdboy

5 x 10 boys pistols and choppas knob with claw

5 trucks

3 deffkoptas with rockets and bomb

2 dakka jets

5 bikes

Morkanaut

Even though he didn't have a sea of boys I was still a little worried, mission was race to victory and he had a lot of mobility and I had little. He seized on me and went first. He played very cautiously and kept everyone in their trucks, didn't really bring anyone close to me, took out one guy with a dakka jet, took one other wound I think, not much doing.

Custodes turn 1 and I moved forward a bit, took a couple of objectives and did some pop shots. Killed 1 deffkopta, got in position to do 2 defends at the end of his turn.

Orks 1 - 0 custodes

Turn 2 he backed some stuff off but stayed in his transports, moved one of the trucks forward a bit and the bikes swung round the side where my achillus is. Dakka jets and bikes and trucks all fire at my infantry and cut another one down and take a couple of wounds off another squad. No charges. Morkanaut is in reserve and stays there another turn

Custodes turn 2, scored my 2 defends and sent the achillus out to take down the nearest truck, bike captain and Examplar move out to target one of the flyers. Everything else moves forward. Some minor damage in shooting, bike captain charges the flyer, other bike captain charges the remaining deffkopta, achillus charges the truck, all three are successful.

Orks 2 - 5 Custodes

Turn 3, he gets everyone out and decides its krumpin time, 50 boys move and advance right up to my lines, trucks move up to take overwatch where they can, Warboss on bike comes up to take on the achillus and the bikes surround him, morkanaut comes in and has an 11" charge into my telemon, shooting is negligible. I use tangle foot on the morkanaut but roll a 1, so with his +1 for evil sunz he still has an 11, I didnt CP re roll it as I needed all the CP I had left as I was planning a stooping dive. So everything charges and everything makes it in, he mobbed up 2 of the 10 man squads but they lost 6 to my exemplar plasma flamer on overwatch and a few more to some other overwatch. His Warboss is in on my warlord and vexilla, one squad is on one of my 3 man guard squads, Achillus is surrounded by wartrike boss, 17 boys and 5 bikes. Morkanaut goes first, goes with the big swings and gets 4 wounds through, I made 2 4++ and CP re rolled a third and he rolled 2 damage. Oh and he used the ramming speed strat and did 3 mortals to Tel but I rolled a triple 6 and ignored them all. So now I play my Ace, the Achillus is on 3 wounds left and on am objective, so I use the strat to interrupt for 1 CP and I use counter strike to interrupt with my warlord, Achillus gets 3 wounds through and it's enough to kill the Warboss on trike thing, my captain then killed the Warboss too. He then hit me with everything and only manage to kill 1 guy who was already on 1 wound and took my exemplar down to 1 and he did manage to kill the Achillus, who then exploded, Big Tel hit back and did 12 to the morkanaut, when all was said and done 33 boys, Warboss and Warboss trike are dead.

In my turn I finished off 2 trucks, the remaining boys, and Big Tel dealt with the morkanaut, he called it there was I was way up on points and he didn't have anything left that can hurt me.

My guys held firm, Big Tel didn't even get to fire his plasma ejectors but he took care of the morka without complaint. I think he needed more attacks or more AP or both, but today it wasn't enough to break the Golden Heroes.

The Orks have historically bounced off of my Custodes. I thought from what I’ve seen perhaps it wouomd be different post codex.

From your game it seemed like he might have the upper hand if he can shoot a little longer but it never seemed to happen.

Sounds like a fun game!

Played a fun game tonight, wanted to try out my dreadnought talon.

Custodes

Shield cap axe

Bike cap 3++

Bike cap 3++

3x3 custodians 1 shield in each

Vexilla magnifica

Achillus

Exemplar with plasma ejectors

Telemon with twin caestus

What are those:

Achilus?

Exemplar?

(can't find them even on FW)

Edited by BolterZorro

Doesn’t it only apply to infantry units? Don’t have the codex with me right now.

It applies to anything except units that have the FLY keyword. I checked, because I used it on a Knight Gallant the other week and was asked the same thing.

Edited by rcoon

About tanglefoot: there is a "or". substract from Movment OR charge. Is it an "exclusive" "or"? I mean, if he reduce the D6 from movment and decide to charge: we don't reduce the charge either?

It's worded like this because you can use it in the movement or the charge phase, or both, but given its a new phase you can use the stratagem again

Edited by swordofmandulis

I’ve decided to switch out my Allarus for a squad of Vertus Praetors. Did very well tonite versus the 2nd best overall from SoCal Open. My Fortis Kill Team took out Swarmlord on Overwatch and the ensuing combat phase... so epic.

I fundamentally love the idea of Allarus termies, but with the way the meta has shaped up and how ludicrously priced they are and how efficiently priced bikes are, it's just a no brainer. I hope CA brings Allarus and Trajaan back into viability but frankly I'm not very hopeful.

Nearly finished repainting my entire army of golden boyz from pure gold to a variant of Solar Watch. Just doing the last black coat on the last bike and then all that's left is edge highlights and dry brushing.

I’ve decided to switch out my Allarus for a squad of Vertus Praetors. Did very well tonite versus the 2nd best overall from SoCal Open. My Fortis Kill Team took out Swarmlord on Overwatch and the ensuing combat phase... so epic.

I fundamentally love the idea of Allarus termies, but with the way the meta has shaped up and how ludicrously priced they are and how efficiently priced bikes are, it's just a no brainer. I hope CA brings Allarus and Trajaan back into viability but frankly I'm not very hopeful.

Nearly finished repainting my entire army of golden boyz from pure gold to a variant of Solar Watch. Just doing the last black coat on the last bike and then all that's left is edge highlights and dry brushing.

Could you share some pictures please?

Could you share some pictures please?

I have a tremor in my hands which I've had since I was 16 so let's just say the lines aren't very straight. I'll try to take a picture tonight but I'm not particularly great at that.

Like I said, and I hope I'm wrong about this: I see Bikes going up, Trajann going down and Allarus going down bringing us a net difference of zero.

I do think as time goes on the biggest problem is actually Shield Captains. As I play these guys more and more I find that if I'm playing good players (not people who throw the kitchen sink into close combat without thinking) that the Codex can have struggles. 

The problem with jacking up biker prices is it hurts the true codex players like myself (I ve forced myself to play strict custodes for my last 3 games, no allies)... is I NEED them badly. I have no movement, and I can get away with one large squad minimum, two mid sized squads preferred. 

Call me crazy I wish the Guardians would go down a bit along with a giant price reduction in the Landraider. How I would LOVE to go back to early index days and cruise a 5 man Guardian squad in a Landraider. I know it will never happen with all the mortal wounds and Knights now, but it's a dream I have. :D

Well, as a primaris player, it seems that we both have the same issues. I'm going to take the 3 x captains bikes because in the primaris range (and in my other army mechanicus) there is absolutely zero mobility AND zero good CC solution. (I don't take standart SM)

Those captains are not OP, they are just good enough and have some nice boost with stratagems. I don't think that they will be up in points. (or it'd be minimal)

Edited by BolterZorro

Honestly the pattern GW has taken with balance adjustments for the past couple iterations seems to me fairly straightforward - what is the most common component across top performing lists; nerf that.  I could stand to be corrected, that's just my assessment from reading discussions here on the boards and some elsewhere..  But provided that's reasonably accurate I don't see how we wouldn't expect biker captains to be nerfed in the next wave of changes. 

I hope they adjust allies over against the current system where no codex can ever have an above average unit.  I hope they take into consideration internal codex balance and provide buffs to underperforming codex units if they nerf overperforming units in that codex.  But that hasn't been the pattern so far.

There is a world in which I would be entirely happy with an increase to biker costs if it meant a decrease in allarus cost - even if there wasn't a net change to codex strength wouldn't we all still prefer that? Increase internal codex balance and list diversity while remaining about where we are - a niche and reasonably competitive codex.  

Sorry my camera sucks in low light.

Things left to do:

Tidy up gold circles on the side of bike engines above feet

Dry brush silver across all black bits

Gold highlights on spear and other weapon filigree decals

Edge highlight white around all main armour bits

Decide what colour to do power weapons (bike spear tips are staying gold with leadbelcher highlight)

Paint faces of captains

Paint my loyal 32 (already based in corax), using a mixture of lahmium medium and seraphim sepia wash over the corax white armour, and do the cloth bits in green etc.

oVgmZDj.jpgiENI4x4.jpg

Edited by rcoon