How are your Custodes doing?

4th GT test game played earlier, faced Ad Mech, Narrow the Search, Hammer and Anvil.

Stygies 8

2 x dominus

2 x enginseer

2 x 5 man squads with 2 snipers each

1 x 5 man squad

2 x neutron crawlers

1 x icarus crawler

3 x 10 hopalites

3 x termite drills

3 x dragoons

Vindicare

This was a really tough and close match up, the 3 termites filled with hopalites and the dragoons did scout moves putting pressure on my lines. My vindicare did not err and put a round right through his counterparts spy mask and dropped him right out of the gate, I only managed to blow 1 of the drills up and do a small amount of damage to another in my turn and he made a charge with both a drill and squad in his turn into my screen and just managed to tag one of my telemon with his consolidation, poor deployment from me. End of round 1 and it's 2-1 to the Custodes.

I shuffle things around a bit and my telemon with a fist moves out to deal with the dragoons, I also dropped in my terms on the vexilla, in hindsight this was probably unnecessary and they would have been better off going after his dunecrawler Castle, hey ho live and learn, anyway I destroy both remaining drills and all of the hopalites and one of the dominus as it was in with a hopalites squad. His turn and he moves the dragoons up to go for a charge on my telemon with fist thats now out in the open, he also lands 3 wounds with a neutron laser and I only save 1, ends up with 9 damage, 5 wounds left, charge phase and I have a terminator within 12 of the dragoons, tanglefoot is activated and its a big 6, they aren't going anywhere now, end of round 2 and it's 3-1 Custodes, looking good.

Round 3 and my guardsmen are starting to get a bit thin on the ground and the objective is shrinking quickly, I decide to keep my undamaged squad out of sight and not try to score the objective this turn, I almost wreck a dunecrawler but leave it on a couple of wounds, I do manage to remove 1 of the dragoons with shooting and the telemon charges in and gets all 4 attacks through pounding the 2 remaining ones into the dirt. His turn and a couple more wounds get taken from my telemon leaving him on 3, terminator squad is now down to 2 guys and I only have the one squad of guardsmen and 1 CC anywhere near them and the objective but still not scoring at this time, end of 3 and it's. 3-2

Turn 4 I decide to try and score this time, it's down to 9" scoring range so no invulns in this range now, 2 terms and the guard squad jump down from the building and into harms way, i still focus on the dune crawlers with with having to move and the built in -1 it's a bad turn, I think the vindicare put down an enginseer this turn, anyway in his turn he easily killed the guardsmen and just managed to knock off the last of the terminators as well and scoring the objective, also I think finally managing to put down the wounded telemon, but I still have 2 fresh ones left. 3-3

Turn 5, I realise I'm gonna have to push something forwards, so I advance the vexilla and he knows it's all or nothing making an 11 inch move, he's not in range to score but he's not miles away, for some reason I'm still not able to put either dunecrawler down, think I used some fire to take out the remaining sniper squad, his turn neither of my telemon take any damage this turn, Its now 3-4 ad Mech take the lead and if we end now they win

We go on

Turn 6

The vexilla and company are now up close to the objective but not in scoring range, 2 dunecrawlers are now in the 12 inch null zone and they both bite the dust the vindicare steps up and drops the warlord, this guy has been amazing this game, he is able to drop both the vexilla and CC to 1 wound each, we are now level again at 4-4

Turn 7

The vexilla and CC get in range of the objective, the telemon take aim and destroy the last dunecrawler, the tech priest enginseer has 1 play left, he levels his Las pistol and burns through the company commanders skull, then charges the vexilla, he swings twice, he hits once, but fails to wound, and gets skewered for his efforts, the Custodes score the 7th round and win 5-4

Definitely should have dealt with the troops earlier on this one, should have screened a bit better, and also had faith my shooting would clear my lines and dropped the terms over by his castle, if I'd made the 9" charge it would have been a huge problem for him and if I hadn't then they pretty much got shot up anyway so wouldn't have been much different.

4 wins from 4 games now, got guard again tuesday

Edited by swordofmandulis

Ran Erik Trock's list for the first time today against a DG player I've never beaten before, and this time I soundly beat him. My only variation was I only ran one squad with two shields and the rest with just the one shield and two spears, and used the extra points to make my vexilla a termie for extra staying power.

Opponent was running a Tzeentch Supreme with Ahriman and two Demon Princes, and then a DG Spearhead with Mortarion, DP, three Blight Haulers, a Leviathan Dread, and a squad of dudes with Plaguespitters and Plasma guns for holding back points. Tabled him on turn 3 by successfully dropping 9 Wardens about 2 inches away from 2 DPs, Mortarion and 2 Blight Haulers. He only managed to kill about 5 guardians total in the first few rounds and so everything left by that point was in melee and wrecking his face. Trajaan did very little, failed a charge and got Smite/Doom Bolted to death despite healing 2 wounds. Ran him as a Warlord and regretted it, since I was only able to intervene with a non-character unit once anyway. Would rather have the Superior Creation trait on a jetbike instead.

Wardens just absolutely devastated everything, and the Allarus seemed like a real disappointment still -  their Ballistus grenade launchers are absolute trash aside from when using Concussion Grenade. I just don't get what that weapon profile is designed to deal with at S4 AP-3.

How did you drop 9 wardens 2 inches away from the enemy? Did you use the vexilla stratagem?

Yep, after spending 3 CP to put Trajaan and the Wardens in DS with the Allarus, I dropped Trajaan and the Allarus 9in away in his backlines, and the wardens were the target for the vexilla teleport homer to get into the pit of death with demon princes and mortie.

Tonight there was some Imperial infighting, some sort of misunderstanding I'm sure but the commander of the Steel legion and catachan forces would not bow to the authority of the Captain General so he had to be reprimanded.

Vital intelligence was the mission. Vanguard strike deployment. Astra Militarum and Knights deployed first and took the first turn. It was really close all the way through, the knight was out flanking and as such forcing the Custodes to stay in a strictly screened castle, only when it came to the battle turn 3 and wiped out a squad of guardsmen could the Custodes hit back, and hit hard they did, the 4 terminators teleporting to the vexilla and a long with Trajann they put the knight down in one round, the Sanctuary Artefact not able to save the giant Knight. After 5 turns the Custodes led by 1pt, first strike the only thing separating the armies, but they held a commanding position at this stage and the Steel legion conceded the battle at this point.

I was under the impression that the vexilla teleport only works from 'next turn' after you DS it in?

Yes it is so. But he told that he won after the third turn, so I imagined that in the second turn he DS his vexilla and in the third he DS the termys on the vexilla :biggrin.:

I didn't DS the vexilla at all. I deployed it on the battlefield and advanced it turn 1 and turn 2 and it was within range of the enemy (he tried and failed to kill it), so used Vexilla Teleport Homer at the end of movement Turn 2. That gave me the full turn 2 and 3 of shooting and fighting, hence why the game was over so fast!

Edited by rcoon

Played a game against T'au at 2k. Turned out to be a win due to luck with an objective ended up right under me. My question is, has anyone had solid success with a Coronus? I ran it in my list with 3 wardens in it. I feel like... it's great to block with. Also against T'au you can't really take full advantage of the Blaze Cannon on top.

I was under the impression that the vexilla teleport only works from 'next turn' after you DS it in?

Yes it is so. But he told that he won after the third turn, so I imagined that in the second turn he DS his vexilla and in the third he DS the termys on the vexilla :biggrin.:

I didn't DS the vexilla at all. I deployed it on the battlefield and advanced it turn 1 and turn 2 and it was within range of the enemy (he tried and failed to kill it), so used Vexilla Teleport Homer at the end of movement Turn 2. That gave me the full turn 2 and 3 of shooting and fighting, hence why the game was over so fast!

Did you roll hot on those advance rolls? Or did you opponent failed to deploy enough backwards? (or was the board setup crappy and couldn't he deploy further back?)

Moving and advancing for 2 turns is 19 inches on average in total, the vexilla homer strat lets you deploy wholy within 6" so even if you deploy them in front of the vexilla that's about 22 inch" movement total, right? If you'r opponent saw it comming he could have deployed further back and a charge would not have been possible I think.

Edited by faithonwings

Did you roll hot on those advance rolls? Or did you opponent failed to deploy enough backwards? (or was the board setup crappy and couldn't he deploy further back?)

Moving and advancing for 2 turns is 19 inches on average in total, the vexilla homer strat lets you deploy wholy within 6" so even if you deploy them in front of the vexilla that's about 22 inch" movement total, right? If you'r opponent saw it comming he could have deployed further back and a charge would not have been possible I think.

He was playing a melee heavy army: 2 Tzeentch Demon Princes, 1 Nurgle Demon Prince, Mortarion, and three blighthaulers he (mistakingly) uses to dump on forward objectives because they're T8 and have 14 wounds as well as disgustingly resilient. He literally charged and double moved (warp time) everything towards my custodes to get into melee combat. I DS'd as much as I could without breaking to 50% rule and just marched a couple squads of shield dudes slightly in front of the Vexilla (since it has character keyword he couldn't shoot it with his Leviathan Dreadnought). The vexilla advanced 21" total I believe.

So I played my Custodes against Space Wolves, ITC missions 6. Dawn of war deployment.

Custodes List:

Vanguard
Trajann (Warlord - Champion of the Imperium)
Vexilla with axe, Magnifica (-1 to hit)
5 Allarus with axe, misericodia
6 Wardens with axe, misericodia

Battalion
Shield captain on Jetbike (3++ save, reroll charges), misericodia
Shield captain on Jetbike (3++ save), misericodia
3 x 3 Custodian Guard (Sword, Sword, Spear)

Assassin Summon (Vindicare)

Space Wolves List:

Vanguard and Battalion

Wolf Lord with JP, Th/Ss, Armour of Russ (Warlord - Sage of the Wolfkin)

Rune Priests with storm caller and tempest wrath

Rune Priests with storm caller and tempest wrath

Wolf priest

Logan Grimnir

2 x 5 Grey Hunters with 1 storm shield/bolter Wolf Guard

1 x 7 Blood Claws with 1 storm shield/bolter Wolf Guard

8 wulfen with 5 th/ss

8 terminators with SS/SB and a few chainfists, power fists.

8 terminators with SS/SB and a few chainfists, power fists.

4 scout bikers

Assassin Summon (Callidus)

The Battle
After trailing 14-4 by T3, I thought, this might be the end. I was playing very cagey and trying to wear him down. However, I turned it around to win 29-20 by T5. Tabled him and only lost 6 models (the assassin and shield captain as sacrifices, and 4 custodian guard).

Mission and Secondaries
Custodes: Marked For Death, Head Hunter, Ground Control
- MFD - should remember to choose units that are going to come and attack me (I chose the GH units, and the Wulfen and Bikes.) I should've chosen the terminators, wulfen and a blood claw unit). 3/4 pts scored.
-Ground control turned out really well. I had control over 4/5 objectives and this secured me max points.
-Head hunter was a good choice also. After mopping up his units, he had nowhere to hide his characters and I scored max points.

Space Wolves: King of the Hill, Engineers, Recon
-Choosing king of the hill against me was incorrect. Custodes take and hold very well.
-Engineers was a good choice. He was scoring free points because I couldn't get to them. 
-Recon: Good choice. Lots of units meant more free points.

Tactics/Lessons Learnt
Keep your CP and play for the long game. Those late game interrupt stratagems are super powerful, as well as Concussion Grenandes and Tanglefoot grenades. 1CP strats that basically won me the game. I kept on denying his Wulfen from getting into melee with Tanglefoot grenades and backing away while I shot his army for 3 turns.

Never underestimate how much damage you can do with Custodes shooting. I managed to kill all his Wulfen just with shooting over 3 turns and half his terminators before running in for the death blows. I softened him up for a few turns before I charged in with a few units and just broke his back. After that it was scoring points and cleaning up. To maximise this, I actually deployed my whole army instead of trying to rush him and with teleport strikes. The extra shooting turn after turn with very little being able to shoot back meant I was able to turn his weakness into my strength.

The Allarus concussion grenade + Vindicare blind grenade was really good. But his units just evaporated when the Allarus and Wardens charged. I waited until he ran out of CP and with no interrupts, his Storm Shield/Storm Bolter Wolf Guard didn't stand a chance. Holy :censored:, when you get into melee with the Allarus and Wardens they MURDER :censored:. Rolling 20-24 attacks that his and wound on 2s rerolling 1s was just gross. Nothing survived more than 1 turn against them.

Having 2 units of melee monsters was a good choice. 5-6 Allarus/Wardens is perfect. Very little can survive that and it means not all your eggs are put into one basket should the enemy focus fire on them.

I kept Trajann within 6" of every unit for as long as possible. Those rerolls were invaluable. Just because he's a beat stick doesn't mean you have to throw him away cheaply. Using him as my warlord, the heroic interventions were a great way of gaining extra movement, even though I didn't engage in combat. Just having a unit with 3" of the enemy and 12" of Trajann meant I could move another free 3" wherever I wanted. This was really useful.

The shield captains on jetbike were mostly just supporting the battle and weren't amazing at killing things. Their shooting can be really effective when you use 2 of them, and they can grab objectives or help fight off smash captains or anything that is threatening your objectives. They're handy.

Custodian guard with two storms shields are amazing. Their survivability goes up dramatically. I could send them into no win situations and just tank stuff.

Regarding the assassins, the Callidus bleeding CP was very effective, and the Vindicare finishing off units for kill more points and throwing blind grenades while hiding within my troops meant he could see more play. There is no reason you can't throw a blind grenade, spend 1CP to shoot again with your rifle or pistol for a kill.

Edited by masterstrider

He was playing a melee heavy army: 2 Tzeentch Demon Princes, 1 Nurgle Demon Prince, Mortarion, and three blighthaulers he (mistakingly) uses to dump on forward objectives because they're T8 and have 14 wounds as well as disgustingly resilient. He literally charged and double moved (warp time) everything towards my custodes to get into melee combat. I DS'd as much as I could without breaking to 50% rule and just marched a couple squads of shield dudes slightly in front of the Vexilla (since it has character keyword he couldn't shoot it with his Leviathan Dreadnought). The vexilla advanced 21" total I believe.

O.k, that makes perfect sence. Well played sir! Thanks for clearing that up.

My point is advancing a vexilla in the hope of using the vexilla teleport homer stratagem might not work on let say a Tau or IG gun line that actually tries to stay away from you'r models. In that case you can of course deepstike a vexilla turn 2 and deepstrike the rest (auquilons, wardens etc.) in turn 3 but that feel like a bit late in the game to make enough impact. I'm looking for a stratagy to get deepstriking custodes into combat without much fuss turn 2. But it's hard.

I hear Custodes are getting a special formation that gives us +1 to invulnerable saves and I think it affects the Allarus and/or Wardens.

This is just a rumour but it appears to have made its way from the GW crew at Adepticon.

If this is true its probably the least imaginative thing they could have come up with