How are your Custodes doing?

They still give a penalty to any enemy psyker within 18".  So you've basically interdicted half the table - trapping the witch in the backfield and restricting its powers by range anyways.

I'm hoping to get a chance to build that detachment I was mentioning before and trying it out against some T-Sons.

Am I missing something with Sisters of Silence? They look like plain basic SoB who happen to give a -1 to psychic tests.

They can't keep up with your bikes.

Their not going to kill Psykers with bolters.

Their minus to tests is smaller then a Culexus

And they die faster then one.

I don't get it.

Plant them infront of your Custodes and now your Bananas can't be hit with Smite or any "closest enemy model" spells. Just like in the fluff.

Yeah but they only do that during deployment. After that your bikes leave them in the dust as they have to run up the table.

They still give an effective bubble. The fact they can't cover a unit that can move as fast as the bikes shouldn't be a point against them. If you're running your bikes in such a manner against foes with psychic powers that you fear then you are using the bike's great speed and firepower to accomplish an objective while taking such a risk. This is an acceptable use of the bikes even if you have SoS of course, and your non-bike units will both be protected and less of a priority regardless.

Got two more games in over the weekend.  A straight up rematch against the Khorne player, just different map and different Maelstrom mission.  I also rearranged my squads but same models (went from two units of 4 Sword and board, and a unit of 5 Spears, to two units of 3 S&B and 2 Spears, and another with 2 S&B and 1 spear).

This match was a nailbiter blast of a match.  Game ended officially on turn 5 with him up by 1 VP.  But since it was early we played it out for the :cuss of it and I would've won if we'd ended on turn 6 or 7.

30 strong squads of Bloodletters remain freaking terrifying.

Second match was against a 2k Blood Angels list.  I pretty much slaughtered him, but mostly due to really good luck on my part.  My 3 man squad somehow managed to tank it out against a Veteran Squad with Hammers, Fists, and Stormshields for almost the whole game (Neither of us could get through the other's 3++ Shield saves in that oddball of a fight - never mind we both did it left and right on other fronts) and that made all the difference and delayed stuff long enough for my Allarus Termies to just start sweeping up the board, even with only 2 left after a good heavy weapon shot phase they proceeded to wipe out most of his forces on their own, including a tank.

Definitely goes right back to my previous comments - with Custodes your 'explosive' is what you expect... or bad luck.  Yes, I could easily have lost that match BADLY with just one or two bad rolls.  A particularly interesting case was his Captain with Thunderhammer doing 15 wounds to my dreadnought, and me making 6 FNP rolls.  So I lived, holding him in place for my own forces to charge in and finish him (Only for him to use Only in Death and kill my Shield Captain in return).  But yeah, even one turn of bad luck on invuls against the huge amount of missile launchers, plasma, and heavy melee weapons could have turned that from a crushing victory for me (like 17 VP to his 9 - plus me tabling him) to me getting tabled on turn 3.

I realize I really want more Allarus Termies now.   They're just so fun!  And if Bikes get nerfed or they get buffed or cheaper they'll be even better.

I'm painting my Allarus models currently and they are really ace, can't wait to get them down on the table. And I do fully expect to see some kind of separation between them and the bikes (Allarus are really good, but not "6-8 points less than a Dawneagle" good). I suspect the ability to deep strike without paying CP is generally undervalued by most Custodes players.

How do you find the grenade launchers are doing in terms of adding to their weight of fire?

How do you find the grenade launchers are doing in terms of adding to their weight of fire?

Against Khorne Daemons?  Just so so, at least it's more firepower.   Against Marines, particularly trying to root out Scouts with their darned sniper rifles?  Worth their weight in gold with that lovely, lovely AP they have.

That's the biggest thing with Custodes, the consistency is, if anything, more so against Elite armies.  

Edited by Dulahan

Ive only been observing recently due to my custodes not being fnished. And so far...more ofthen then not they are doing really really well. Against hordes they seem to do fine aganist chaos marines with demons they do fine even with "magic". Ive been failry impressed with their durability, i cannot wait to get my first game in.

To be honest it does worry me a little bit! FW should have the confidence in their own ideas to develop the rules. Point adjustments is one thing but they are asking for rules ideas and wargear modifications :-/

Summary of changes that seem most popular across boards:

Caladius and Coronus need a flat 5++. Both drop between 35 to 50 points.

Caladius needs flat damage 2 on the guns and possibly to either ignore hard to hit, or not take shooting penalty.

Coronus needs 2d6 shots on the blaze.

Dreads both need 15 to 25 point drop and the Achillus dread needs flamers added to wargear change out.

Achillus needs the death rays with same profile as imperial space marine but 2 shots instead of 1. That or just make the death rays plasma ejectors.

Damage on twin las pulsar should be flat 3.

Did I mention that one of my partner's (and primary opponent)'s two armies is Death Guard/Nurgle Daemons? >.<

Just wait until typhus solos 2 shield captains. #feelsbadmaan

I know how well my partner rolls 5+ saves. I expect Typhus to solo half my army! They ran a Ravenwing Command Squad with Apothecary in 7E and I swear they made more 5+ FnP than 3+ armor saves.

I think running pure Custodes is a bad idea. They really can use more bodies and that psychic defense that SOS provide. When I get my stuff up and running I plan on getting a battalion with Inquisitor, 3-4 SOS squads in Rhinos and 1-2 culexus assassins then I will fill the rest with custodes. Hopefully will have enough for a captain on bike, allarus captain, unit of allarus custodes, 3 small custodes with s+b and one unit of bikers.

I don't have the codex yet but I'm sure I'm either really close to 2k or well over it with that list. But the SOS will provide a nightmare for psycher armies and then they can act as objective holders against armies that do not have psychic phases. 

I think of the Custodes as an army of space marine captains. They will hit hard and be hard to take down but they still need some underlings to help deal with the small things like capturing vps.

I think my main gripe with the Sisters currently is that they're all elite choices, further hampering our cp potential, and don't really add much to the Custodes beyond their blank aura.  All of their weapons fill the niche that the Custodes' currently do and it is extremely difficult to get them into position without the rhino and then their aura isn't even active.  I think they're one of those mini factions that will need a rebalance once they get included in a codex release.  Last game I had against a Thousand Sons player he asked what they did, saw them behind my Custodes, and shot them off the board before they could even block a smite.  I think a fluff interaction where sisters have -1 to hit when behind the Custodes or something of the like could be beneficial to them.  

Currently if I add allies its just an inquisitor with the 4 assassins for some 1st turn disruption in a vanguard.  It's worked really well with my templars and I think it could work with the Custodes too.  Now with Eisenhorn coming I'm definitely using him.  Using terrify on a unit before the Custodes charge will be extremely fun.   

Edited by MyD4rkPassenger