How are your Custodes doing?

The problem with Tau is that they just counter us so well. We can't out shoot them, when we charge them their overwatch is very detrimental, and in the off chance you didn't kill what you charged it will just fall back to shoot you again.

My BA have helped in this regard a little (overwatch ignoring relic,) but truly the best way to deal with tau right now is negative modifiers to hit with quantity of long range shooting and/or mortal wounds. This is why eldar does so well vs Tau, guard can do well by out ranging them, and chaos with minus to hit screens with mortal wound factories.

I think the Tau seem to despise the -1 to hit though. At least my opponents do. 

Best game I had against Tau was when I got the Allarus in close combat thanks to the deep strike strat, and man they took a beating, but one survived and he just murdered so many of them, giving the main main enough to get into close combat and turn the tide. 

I do find those are always massively bloody affairs though. Not many models were left.

One of my team mates is the best Tau player I have seen, I have only beaten him once out of 6/7 games. The minus one banner helps, but is never enough to turn the tide.

Yea that's why I take my wins with a grain of salt. The truth is I am fully realizing that most of the Tau I play is the result of players moving towards them for that FOTM effect. A lot of them do simply castle and roll dice. Either way it's not a great opponent for Custodes.

On a side note I'm trying to decide on a tournament 'army' for this coming summer season of local events and I'm struggling to make anything for my Ultra's that make me confident right now so I may swing back into these guys since the 'whining' has more or less stopped, and I never did get to continue using my Telemon. And funny enough I bought two at once back when you could only take one! So one dimensional though, but fun playstyle. It will be a consideration of mine. Especially with new Assassin rules.

Not meaning to brag but I’ve seldom ever lost to Tau. They have some serious weaknesses which can be exploited.

I'd like to see you elaborate on this. I guess you are not playing a mono-custodes list?

How do you get over the constant fall-backs from combat and the overwatch shenanigans?

I've been struggling against Tau. Even If I close quickly and get into combat, I tend to lose a lot of models (I only have around 20) before I get into combat. Even if I do manage to kill the entire unit during my charge it only leaves me open to a full salvo from the rest of the army. 

Terrain is a big part of it... also Tau tend to castle which really makes it hard for them to secure multiple objectives per turn. I tend to corral them and focus on killing all the drones first. Charge them from behind intervening terrain so they can’t overwatch.

I played against Tau last weekend and managed to get a draw. I used Telemon + Caladus combo to shoot big suits to pieces while bikes and Guardians played a distraction in the midfield. Also Vexilla Magnifica was a great asset that kept his shots away from my core units. 

Edited by AstraWlad

The triple telemon list took a crushing victory vs a Ravenwing, crusader, loyal 32 list in ITC format Monday. 34-14 and the three tels took 1 wound between them, my only losses were my 5 aquilon, 10 guardsmen and a company commander, the enemy had 2 scout squads and a company commander at the end of turn 4, we talked the rest out so a possible tabling but magic box probably keeping something alive.

This was a variation on my usual list as we played at 2k, so I just added an extra terminator and a bike captain so the list played pretty much the same as the 1750 version, either way it was brutal.

Played a game vs my mates DA past monday. Played Footstodes (first time with  full 2k list, only played a small patrol detachment before) with some assassin backup (guards, 7 wardens and 3 aquilon) tabled him on T3. Wardens butcherd 10 primaris hellblasers and a dreadnought and my termies (with a bike captain and vexilla) killed 10 DA termies in one single turn while only losing 1 aquilon in return. Felt bad about myself afterwards, did not expect it to preform so well.

Last weekend I won our two-day 4K tournament, went 4-0 with Custodes. Toughest games were against Necrons and Tau. The Achillions were responsible for my victory in the Necron game without a doubt since they were responsible for around half of my opponent's tabled army(including around 40 Warriors and 20 Immortals), while my Bikes crashed into enough Tau early enough that some awful dice mid-game could be mitigated. 

Last weekend I won our two-day 4K tournament, went 4-0 with Custodes. Toughest games were against Necrons and Tau. The Achillions were responsible for my victory in the Necron game without a doubt since they were responsible for around half of my opponent's tabled army(including around 40 Warriors and 20 Immortals), while my Bikes crashed into enough Tau early enough that some awful dice mid-game could be mitigated. 

Against the Tau did you face Triptide? What I find happens is it's all the suits dropping in with multi damage weapons. (Some of those are extremely hard to get rid of with bolter fire).

Great job. I think Necrons are extremely underrated, and they do well against elite infantry armies. Now that the Castellan has been turned down, I expect to see more Necrons. I always play infantry heavy lists over vehicles so I'm guessing there will be more of this.

I really haven't deep dove into the Achillions rules, but they seem to be getting some real love from Custodes players now.

Edited by Prot

Against the Tau did you face Triptide? What I find happens is it's all the suits dropping in with multi damage weapons. (Some of those are extremely hard to get rid of with bolter fire).

Great job. I think Necrons are extremely underrated, and they do well against elite infantry armies. Now that the Castellan has been turned down, I expect to see more Necrons. I always play infantry heavy lists over vehicles so I'm guessing there will be more of this.

I really haven't deep dove into the Achillions rules, but they seem to be getting some real love from Custodes players now.

I did. They only killed one model in turn one and one in turn two, but by the end of the game had caused devastation. This includes the single greatest Overwatch  My Triple Caladius and the Riptides commenced mutually assured destruction where I killed two of them quickly and then it survived until the end of the game while my Caladius (Caladiai?) were scrap metal by 5. Luckily I had vaporized enough of them and was ahead on points enough that my Custodian Guard weathered the storm, even as the game went to 7 rounds.