How are your Custodes doing?

Had a game last night versus Night Lords... would have won easily but wow my opponent’s dice were off the chart... only failed one 5++ save from eight wounds my Smash Captain inflicted into his Warlord Daemon Prince... then Huron Blackheart only failed one 4++ save from 12 wounds inflicted by my Aquilon Terminators. He only had Huron, three CSM and two heavily wounded dreadnaughts left but just managed to win by one victory point. Oh well it is a dice game.

Finally got around to taking some close up photos of a few of my Custodes.

It's amazing how much you realise you've missed out details once you take a pic of them, so back into the painting queue they go. 

Until then;

AC Captain-General Trajan Valoris

AC Custodian Guard

AC Custodian Wardens

AC Allarus Terminators

AC Aquilon Terminators

AC Venetari Custodians (Spears)

AC Venetari Custodians (Pistols & Shields)

AC Vertus Praetors

Edited by FelipeFlops

So I came into a little money and I want to give my custodes a boost. Toss up between a telemon with all the trimmings or a caladius. Havent beem into 40k for a while because AoS is a better scene here, but looking ti get back into it. Throw me your suggestions. Ive wanted some aquillon and sagg for a while, but I fancy something big and punchy.

So I came into a little money and I want to give my custodes a boost. Toss up between a telemon with all the trimmings or a caladius. Havent beem into 40k for a while because AoS is a better scene here, but looking ti get back into it. Throw me your suggestions. Ive wanted some aquillon and sagg for a while, but I fancy something big and punchy.

If you run Allarus in a list, then Aquilons are just better in every way (Solar Gauntlet + Lastrum Storm Bolter). If you don't run Allarus then I'd probably just pass on them, Sag Guard included.

With Telemon you really need more than one in case they get Alpha Striked turn 1. Caladius are excellent, but again you need more than one and they're quite expensive models...

And judging by their power level cost in Apoc the Caladius are going up in points. That is just me making an assumption but I think it is a fair one based on the data sheets. 

I wouldn't read too much into the Apoc costs. There's quite a disconnect between the the Apoc PL and 40k PL for a lot of units.

Thought I'd try something different tonight and leave the heavy walkers in the armoury. All infantry Custodes take on a mixed imperium force

Trajann

Shield captain

Vexilla

11 x custodian guard mixed shields and spears

1 x 6 aquillon

1 x 6 wardens with spears

Vs

Iron Hands

Primaris Captain

Primaris lieutenant

Jump captain teeth of terra/storm shield

Primaris ancient

3 x 5 intercessor

Scions

2 x Tempestor prime

3 x 5 scions 1 plasma in each

House hawkshroud

Gallant, landstrider, 2+ save

2 x helverin

2 x warglaive

New Schemes of War Maelstrom mission.

Hammer and Anvil Deployment

Custodes deploy and go first.

Custodes move up turn 1, staying in cover where possible, no shooting as everything was deployed out of range and my guys all advanced

Imperium Turn 1, knight Gallant moves up for a charge into the custodian guard squad, everyone else spreads out to deny deepstrike. Tanglefoot is employed and its 5 on the dice, charge distance is 8 -2 for land strider, so he needs 11 on the dice, with a CP he just makes it, but the attacks are not telling and only one custodian falls to the stomping knight, the remaining 3 Custodes strike back and do some serious damage to the knight

Battleround 1 scores Custodes 4 - 1 Imperium

Custodes turn 2

A second squad of custodian guard prepare to charge the Gallant, surely they can take him down, Trajann does not join the combat as the death grip is a real issue if the squad don't kill the towering war machine. The Aquilon drop in 9" from 2 primaris squads, shooting is uneventful and only 2 primaris fall to the lastrums and infernus, everyone makes their charges, fight the knight first but fail to take it down, he interrupts and again the knight fails to do much, the other squad strike but leave the knight on 2 wounds. down the other end of the field the Aquilon made short work of both primaris squads and are now staring down his 3 primaris characters.

Imperium Turn 2

The primaris characters pick up their skirts and get as far away from the terminators as possible and a wall of 3 armigers move in front of them. The other warglaive moves up to target Trajann. 2 of the scion squads drop down, one to screen deepstrike for my Wardens and one to grab an objective in my deployment. His jump captain drops down with eyes for my shield captain who's isolated from holding an objective in turn 1. Shooting does one thing, reduce the terminators from 6 to 4, a warglaive and a helverin charge in, and with some decent rolling and some bad saving throws 2 more Aquilons drop, 2 are left to attack back, avenge the fallen ups each of them to 8 attacks and they hit one armiger each, severe whiffs means neither armiger is destroyed but both are now damaged. The other warglaive charges Trajann, nothing gets through and he drops it in one round, the Gallant only charges the smaller squad and does kill them this time, and of course I forget to heroically intervene with the other squad using Trajanns warlord trait

Edited by swordofmandulis

Bit bummed out that the Caladius has become the big go-to unit for Custodes now. Kinda frustrating since the last time I followed suit I bought dozens of jetbikes, and now they're not that popular. Issue is this time the Caladius is £89 each!

I think two Caladius tanks and a single Telemon with two Arachnus Storm Cannons is the best Custodes firebase.

The Telemon has that real durability and is better at dealing with T8 Armour - will reliably deal with a Leman Russ a turn for example. Makes the firebase more rounded and tougher for an opponent to deal with.

So I've run a full infantry list twice now, once vs mixed imperium (Gallant, 2 warglaives, 2 helverins, primaris batallion, scion batallion) and last night vs drukhari.

Trajann (warlord)

Shield cap

2 x 3 custodian guard (2 shield, 1 spear)

4 x custodian guard (2 shield, 2 spear)

Vexillus Praetor Magnifica

6 x warden (spears)

5 x Aquilon (2 firepike, 3 lastrum)

We played Schemes of war

The game was so one sided, I went first and advanced everything, scored heavily though, he managed to drop 1 custodian guard from all his shooting, but scored zero.

Turn 2 he Vects my vexilla teleport homer, which I was expecting, but I positioned the terms and wardens well and had 3 chances to get in on something with fly, of course I duly fail and my shooting left 2 separate things on 2 wounds with some really good saving from him. His shooting is innefective again, he contacts Trajann, vexilla and a guard squad with 3 talos and the haemonculus, 2 Talos attack Trajann, but he saves like a boss and only loses 2 wounds, he then Wipes the already wounded one, I also kill the haemonculus, Trajann activates again and kills the other talos.

Turn 3 and this is where I do so much damage, I destroy 3 venoms and the raider in shooting, and followup with charges taking out 3 reaver bikes, 9 kabalites, and his warlord archon, I also finish off the third talos I was left in combat with, Trajann made a charge on Urien but failed to kill him with some really good saving throws. I scored really well again and am pretty far ahead.

He doesn't have a lot left now but goes for Trajann who is a little isolated, succubus charges, and the 2 remaining talos, Trajann takes it all hanging in there on 2 wounds, he then rips Urien to bits.

My turn 4 and I send everything that can make it in to help Trajann, the terms and wardens are out of range so they just shoot off the last of the kabalites. I activate with the squad that can target the succubus as it was needed for an objective, he uses his last 2 CP to interrupt and the talos do bring Trajann down, but he's reaped a bloody toll this day, his total kill count is now 3, I manage to drop 1 of the talos but one remains on 2 wounds. We play out his turn 4, his wyches fail to make a charge, he charges my gatekeeper welding vexilla with his archon and gets shot to bits in overwatch, and his talos fails to do anything much to my shield captain, who then cuts him up with his axe, it then explodes and knocks off one of my dudes, his final kill count is 4. We call it there.

Absolute massacre.

Well I have only played custodes in apocalypse (recently) (the new version) and...they are a flipping blast. Damn near unkillable. And always fight at full strength so beefcake units of aqulions with a banner teleporting in are absolutely monstrous.

Our shooting feels back to lackluster, though a 5 man squad of Sagittarum will reliably drop many HQ units.

Edited by Hellex_The_Thanatar

Ordered a Telemon, not sure whether to now buy two Caladius Grav Tanks or buy just one tank and a second Telemon. Slightly concerned that the Caladius Grav Tank is going to get changed/nerfed the way the Telemon did making the Accelerator Culverin's kinda crap.

Hey you guys,

I had my second game ever with the Custodes (and my 4th game of 8th ed since release). Let me preface my experience by saying that I’m not a new player (been in the game since the 90s), but an unexperienced one.

The game was 1,500 pts against a Primaris Raven Guard gunline. The game was played in our local GW on 4 Realm of Battle-tiles. That alone was a bit small for the game – more problematic was, that the terrain had been set up by the store manager, allowing for huge firing lanes. Switching terrain was not an option (store is tiny, we had only limited time), so we got to work.

His force:

• Chapter Master
  • 2x Agressors
  • 2x Primaris dudes with Stalkers
  • 2x Primaris Hellblasters (bolter fists and grenades)
  • 2x Primaris Inceptors (those sorta Assault marines with Plasma)
  • 1x Scouts with sniper rifles
  • 1xPrimaris dread with Plama, gatling and grenades

My force:

Vanguard Detachment (1 CP) +3 CP Battelforged

• Shield Captain with spear, Misericordia, Eagle’s Eye and Radiant Mantle
  • 3x Guardian squads with 2x spear, 1 sword and board
  • 1x Wardens with spears
  • 1x Allarus (all Misericordias)
  • 1x Guardian with Vexilla Magnifica and spear
  • 3x Vertus with Hurricanes

Auxiliary Detachment (-1 CP)

• 1x Vindicare Assassin

Now, you might wonder about my list – no Battalion, no Bike Captain and whatnot. I’m still trying things out, trying to see what I like the playstyle of. I’m not a fan of high-end listbuilding, am not a competitive player, but more of a fluff bunny. That’s why a lot of my guys carry spears – they look more iconic to me. My goal was to see how a Vindicare worked nowadays and to see, how good Allarus work, when teleported into the enemy lines.

We played with 5 objectives on the table (1 in each quarter, 1 in the middle), with a random one being worth 2 instead of 1 VP each round.

There’s not much use in describing the battle in detail – I lost, partly due to my obvious fault. I had to footslog across the table, with not much cover around. His weight of fire (somewhere above 60 shots a round, it seemed) was taking it’s toll. My primary mistake was my eagerness to take the battle to him, instead of going for safe VPs. So I ran more or less happily into his gunline and was shred to pieces. That made me realise that I need a safer way to get my forces up into his grille. This was also where I was counting on the Allarus as a distraction.

But: When I brought them down at the end of movement in turn 2, he had bunched up his forces in a sort of turtle formation in the only free space on his side of the board. Matter of fact, there were no 9” in any direction from his models but right in front of his force. I managed to set down the Allarus in half cover, fired the Ballistus at the closes squad of Agressors (with miserable rolls), then charged the squad. Won the charge, killed the squad and consolidated into the neighbouring squad of Intercessors or Hellblasters. I was hoping to unleash the lions – well, until I found out, that I will only be able to do this in my next movement phase. I was pretty sure that my terminators would never get around to that.

In his next turn he stepped out of melee (is there really no penalty for that in this edition) then concentrated fire on the 3 TDAs. And they fell to massed fire.

The Vindicare did good though. In his first round of shooting he took 4 wounds from the Chapter Master, the second round of shooting the CM actually made his armour save and in the 3rd round the assassin fell to massed fire by the dreadnought and the scout snipers.

I played badly, I gotta admit that. But that Primaris army was kinda dirty, too. The whole army maybe moved 4” the entire game, just sat there and fired, fired, fired. The board and me being dumb made it even worse. But how do you guys mitigate gunlines? Our shooting aside from FW stuff is severely limited. Our only transport is a very expensive Land Raider (which I am building right now, I don’t care much for the look of the FW grav tanks).

How do you actually use Allarus the right way? Setting them down 9” from an enemy army seemed like a death sentence for the turn after their arrival, even more so against a bunched-up enemy.

A lot of this must seem very noobish, I get that, but maybe indulge me. How do you handle gunlines, lack of transport and Allarus?

Don't even touch the Land Raider, it's really, really terrible. Massive waste of points better spent on bodies.

Custodes are CP hungry, like, super CP hungry. You taking a Vanguard and then spending that CP on an Assassins is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. I get that you want to play fluffy, but you severely hamstrung yourself there. You should have taken a Battalion and sacrificed something to get the extra HQ. With those extra CP you could have FGLTC the Wardens, a HQ as well as your Allarus. Now more of your units are off the board and unavailable for shooting. You can then use concussion grenades on the Allarus to prevent overwatch and split your shots across multiple squads. Keep the Vexilla Magnifica in range of the rest of your footslog army to ensure your enemy is hitting on crap, and then harass his sidelines with your Vertus Praetors and preferably a Shield Captain on Dawn Eagle Jetbike (and while you're at it make him your WL with Radiant Mantle or Superior Creation, and fit him with the Auric Aquilas relic).

I'm curious what match type you played, because you could have just gone for objectives and hidden behind ruins if his gunline is that static. I hope you were allowed to place your objective markers like the rules say. Did you even choose deployment types?