Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How are your Custodes doing?

• Please log in to reply
1140 replies to this topic

swordofmandulis

swordofmandulis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 312 posts
Didn't he just fall back and blast? You really found the Sagittarum to be underwhelming, I've found mine to be great, much better than having guardian squads sat holding objectives doing sweet FA. Want more Sagittarum but no kits for love nor money available.

Dallas Drake

Dallas Drake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,046 posts
Falling back and shooting yeah and tactical doctrine on aggressors is just brutal. So is las/missile dreads re-rolling hits and wounds. That strat halving their damage they take is broken too. Found them very tough to beat tbh.

While Sagittarum weren’t bad they just didn’t do much with their shooting really, admittedly I only played a few games with them so maybe too early to say. I agree that they’re better than say 3 spears sitting on obj but honestly I’m not a fan of that either. I’m regrettably waving the white flag to mono (unless playing fun lists) until we get sisters or something cheaper we can afford to leave on rear objectives. It’s just too many points for what are essentially heavy bolters. I can get an ad mech battalion for the price of 3 Sag guard. I’m going to add rusty 17 to my list and spend the 500 or so points I’d spend on troops on bikes or wardens. I was very low on screen clearing shooting that bikes do so well.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this

masterstrider

masterstrider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

You could always just take a supreme command detachment of 3 Shield Captains with Storm Shield and Sentinel Blades. That's 117 each x 3 = 351pts and they are obsec, have 2+/3++ saves, 5 wounds and attacks and are protected by the character rule. They could easily replace 3 x 3 custodian guard and are very cheap. Granted they don't provide the CP of a battalion but they have their uses. You can leave them on any objective and they can tank or hide very easily.

Edited by masterstrider, 17 September 2019 - 07:53 AM.

• Dallas Drake and orkusmorkus like this

orkusmorkus

orkusmorkus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

You could always just take a supreme command detachment of 3 Shield Captains with Storm Shield and Sentinel Blades. That's 117 each x 3 = 351pts and they are obsec, have 2+/3++ saves, 5 wounds and attacks and are protected by the character rule. They could easily replace 3 x 3 custodian guard and are very cheap. Granted they don't provide the CP of a battalion but they have their uses. You can leave them on any objective and they can tank or hide very easily.

Interesting you bring this up, I've just today been toying with the idea of a herohammer footslogger Custodes list, where I take 2 Telemons and a banner, along with a whole load of characters.

I'm hoping it will be a counter to the SM/Tau/IG/Knight gunline armies I face regularly, as their massive turn 1 and 2 firepower will be mostly wasted against the -1 to hit Telemons, which is all they can shoot. Even if I lose both of them, if most of the rest of the army can make it to the enemy unscathed they should have a good time chopping through. Round out the list with a hammer squad of Wardens, Bikes or Aquilons to drop in with Teleport Homer as well.

MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,702 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves 13th Company

Sagg upgrades are back in stock, for whoever is looking for them.

• shanewatts likes this
QUOTE (Ravenous;1568384)
I just have a bad feeling that the drop troop guard army's theme song would be "its raining men"

rcoon

rcoon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

Anybody had a chance to test these out yet in a competitive form?

Dallas Drake

Dallas Drake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,046 posts

An interesting idea, have you tried this out? I think regular SCs actually have 6 wounds, so yeah... tough as with 2+/3++

I'd be tempted to try this, maybe magetise a few using Warden/Guard kits, a fun little project too. I reckon I'd still need the Admech battalion just because 8-9 CPs is the lowest I'd go for.

I actually really like guard squads, a few spears and some storm shield and sentinel blades is great, it's just gah footslogging them up the board. Cover and LOS blocking can help but if your opponent wants them dead it can be done. I'm toying with adding a Coronus to my list, it's tough and has pretty good shooting, park it up in a position to get out and charge with 6 pyrathite spears or wardens? In all honesty, I'm not sure if it's worth it though, I'm scared to order one just incase it's a bad idea...

treadhead

treadhead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 648 posts

I actually tried both the sagittarius guard and the coronus out a couple of days ago, stuck the sagittarius guard in a building on an objective and just hosed any infantry that came close, despite which they actually got charged (I think he thought big guns, no stabby tools = easy kill, nope still custodes) so while they will earn no epic tales they're still a solid unit for back field jobs.

As for the coronus i ran it with Trajann and a 5 strong sword and board squad, hammered it up the middle turn one took the firestorm, dismounted turn two and charged everything i could reach to shut down fire and just let the rest of the army catch up, It worked out pretty well but i was rolling quite hot that game

Slightly off topic the coronus is a lovely piece of kit to put together and paint as well as a great center piece for your army, so much so that I'm toying with picking up a second one

• duz_ likes this
c & c welcomed, kudos accepted, blame shifted
http://s21.photobuck...readhead2/?sc=5
S,M,A,K,I,B,B,F,B

Photon

Photon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts
Hello.
What you think about this roster (anti vehicle+probably anti-knight). Should I drop one Caladius and take a trajan for rerolls? 

(Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [104 PL, 1,999pts]
  • Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [55 PL, 1,061pts]
    • HQ [14 PL, 228pts]
      • Shield-Captain [7 PL, 114pts]

Selections: Castellan Axe [14pts]

• Troops [28 PL, 588pts]
      • Custodian Guard Squad with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears [14 PL, 280pts]
        • Custodian [3 PL, 56pts]

Selections: Pyrithite Spear [16pts]

• Sagittarum Custodians [7 PL, 154pts]
        • Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 50pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts]

• Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 54pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts], Misericordia [4pts]

• Sagittarum Custodians [7 PL, 154pts]

• Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 54pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts], Misericordia [4pts]

• Dedicated Transport [13 PL, 245pts]
      • Coronus Grav-Carrier [13 PL, 245pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Blaze Cannon [25pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [49 PL, 938pts]
    • HQ [7 PL, 114pts]

• Elites [6 PL, 124pts]
      • Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 124pts]

Selections: Castellan Axe [14pts], Vexilla Magnifica [30pts]

• Heavy Support [36 PL, 700pts]
      • Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 220pts]

Selections: Twin Illiastus Accelerator Cannon [80pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 240pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon [100pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 240pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon [100pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

shanewatts

shanewatts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 443 posts

Rcoon, I ran them at 3 RTTs back when they were still heavy support. They earned their points and then some every game. They were my favorite unit from the FW units (just sucked they were heavy support.)

• rcoon likes this

gallery_62972_14467_5253.jpg

MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,702 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves 13th Company

Proxied them a bunch of times while waiting for them to come back in stock. They do everything I could want from a troops choice. Don't underestimate the power of 36" assault weapons for running around to take objectives in maelstrom. That and overwatching with both guns hitting on 5s from the strat will put the fear into the new space marines.

Edited by MeatGrinder, 18 September 2019 - 02:40 PM.

• rcoon likes this
QUOTE (Ravenous;1568384)
I just have a bad feeling that the drop troop guard army's theme song would be "its raining men"

Dallas Drake

Dallas Drake

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,046 posts

Tried them 3 times now in maelstrom (3 man squads) and tbh I’d rather take a melee option & get into hand to hand with my Guard and use something else for objectives. I find their shooting a touch weak tbh. I realise my opinion of them is not the majority opinion but that’s my experience.

rcoon

rcoon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts

Tried them 3 times now in maelstrom (3 man squads) and tbh I’d rather take a melee option & get into hand to hand with my Guard and use something else for objectives. I find their shooting a touch weak tbh. I realise my opinion of them is not the majority opinion but that’s my experience.

Previously my meta was entirely armour and ludicrous toughness units. As such running weak shooting was fairly pointless. Now that HORDE is the new name of the game I'm considering them since they can put out a lot of shots as well as throw the odd bullet at enemy armour. I always felt frustrated leaving 150 points of melee units on an objective that would otherwise be happy mincing a tank to pieces.

I ordered 2 squads of 5 for a 3+3+4 battalion so I'll see how they do vs my brother's new suped up SM army.

Edited by rcoon, 18 September 2019 - 05:52 PM.

Mr. Funktastic

Mr. Funktastic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

I'm planning on trying out at least a unit of 3 Sagittarum to hold a backfield objective, a unit of 3 Pyrithite Guard with 3 Aquilons in a Coronus for anti-tank, and a unit of Guardians with at least 1 storm shield to either deep strike in as budget Wardens or have them move up and secure the midfield objectives. Introduces a good amount of variety in Troop choices and depending on your meta going all in on 3x3 units of Sagittarum might give some diminishing returns if your opponents aren't playing infantry heavy armies.

masterstrider

masterstrider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

Once the next Big FAQ hits, I think that the meta will probably shift a bit come Sept 30. Until then, it's hard to predict what to build to counter. Also, Marines are a thing now, and that has some unpredictable impacts. Iron Hands, Ultramarines and probably a few other chapters are making a mark on the scene again. Flyers may get a deserved nerf and that will mean that the game will open up new units again. Custodes have some good options now with the expansion of the FW units, but unless we know what meta we're building for, it's a good time to get in some hobby work. 

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 721 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

Just wondering, has anyone tried the Obliteratum relic in games, and if you have how has it preformed? I've never seen custode players use it...ever.

Is it only worth it in casual / narrative games and if not even that, what would actually make it a consideration for the relic slot in your army?

BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png  KlujhfK.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users