How are your Custodes doing?

Falling back and shooting yeah and tactical doctrine on aggressors is just brutal. So is las/missile dreads re-rolling hits and wounds. That strat halving their damage they take is broken too. Found them very tough to beat tbh.

While Sagittarum weren’t bad they just didn’t do much with their shooting really, admittedly I only played a few games with them so maybe too early to say. I agree that they’re better than say 3 spears sitting on obj but honestly I’m not a fan of that either. I’m regrettably waving the white flag to mono (unless playing fun lists) until we get sisters or something cheaper we can afford to leave on rear objectives. It’s just too many points for what are essentially heavy bolters. I can get an ad mech battalion for the price of 3 Sag guard. I’m going to add rusty 17 to my list and spend the 500 or so points I’d spend on troops on bikes or wardens. I was very low on screen clearing shooting that bikes do so well.

You could always just take a supreme command detachment of 3 Shield Captains with Storm Shield and Sentinel Blades. That's 117 each x 3 = 351pts and they are obsec, have 2+/3++ saves, 5 wounds and attacks and are protected by the character rule. They could easily replace 3 x 3 custodian guard and are very cheap. Granted they don't provide the CP of a battalion but they have their uses. You can leave them on any objective and they can tank or hide very easily.

Edited by masterstrider

You could always just take a supreme command detachment of 3 Shield Captains with Storm Shield and Sentinel Blades. That's 117 each x 3 = 351pts and they are obsec, have 2+/3++ saves, 5 wounds and attacks and are protected by the character rule. They could easily replace 3 x 3 custodian guard and are very cheap. Granted they don't provide the CP of a battalion but they have their uses. You can leave them on any objective and they can tank or hide very easily.

Interesting you bring this up, I've just today been toying with the idea of a herohammer footslogger Custodes list, where I take 2 Telemons and a banner, along with a whole load of characters.

I'm hoping it will be a counter to the SM/Tau/IG/Knight gunline armies I face regularly, as their massive turn 1 and 2 firepower will be mostly wasted against the -1 to hit Telemons, which is all they can shoot. Even if I lose both of them, if most of the rest of the army can make it to the enemy unscathed they should have a good time chopping through. Round out the list with a hammer squad of Wardens, Bikes or Aquilons to drop in with Teleport Homer as well.

An interesting idea, have you tried this out? I think regular SCs actually have 6 wounds, so yeah... tough as with 2+/3++

I'd be tempted to try this, maybe magetise a few using Warden/Guard kits, a fun little project too. I reckon I'd still need the Admech battalion just because 8-9 CPs is the lowest I'd go for.

I actually really like guard squads, a few spears and some storm shield and sentinel blades is great, it's just gah footslogging them up the board. Cover and LOS blocking can help but if your opponent wants them dead it can be done. I'm toying with adding a Coronus to my list, it's tough and has pretty good shooting, park it up in a position to get out and charge with 6 pyrathite spears or wardens? In all honesty, I'm not sure if it's worth it though, I'm scared to order one just incase it's a bad idea...

I actually tried both the sagittarius guard and the coronus out a couple of days ago, stuck the sagittarius guard in a building on an objective and just hosed any infantry that came close, despite which they actually got charged (I think he thought big guns, no stabby tools = easy kill, nope still custodes) so while they will earn no epic tales they're still a solid unit for back field jobs.

As for the coronus i ran it with Trajann and a 5 strong sword and board squad, hammered it up the middle turn one took the firestorm, dismounted turn two and charged everything i could reach to shut down fire and just let the rest of the army catch up, It worked out pretty well but i was rolling quite hot that game

Slightly off topic the coronus is a lovely piece of kit to put together and paint as well as a great center piece for your army, so much so that I'm toying with picking up a second one

Hello.
What you think about this roster (anti vehicle+probably anti-knight). Should I drop one Caladius and take a trajan for rerolls? 

(Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [104 PL, 1,999pts]
  • Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [55 PL, 1,061pts]
    • HQ [14 PL, 228pts]
      • Shield-Captain [7 PL, 114pts]

Selections: Castellan Axe [14pts]

• Troops [28 PL, 588pts]
      • Custodian Guard Squad with Adrasite and Pyrithite Spears [14 PL, 280pts]
        • Custodian [3 PL, 56pts]

Selections: Pyrithite Spear [16pts]

• Sagittarum Custodians [7 PL, 154pts]
        • Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 50pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts]

• Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 54pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts], Misericordia [4pts]

• Sagittarum Custodians [7 PL, 154pts]

• Sagittarum Custodian [3 PL, 54pts]

Selections: Adrastus Bolt Caliver [10pts], Misericordia [4pts]

• Dedicated Transport [13 PL, 245pts]
      • Coronus Grav-Carrier [13 PL, 245pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Blaze Cannon [25pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [49 PL, 938pts]
    • HQ [7 PL, 114pts]

• Elites [6 PL, 124pts]
      • Vexillus Praetor [6 PL, 124pts]

Selections: Castellan Axe [14pts], Vexilla Magnifica [30pts]

• Heavy Support [36 PL, 700pts]
      • Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 220pts]

Selections: Twin Illiastus Accelerator Cannon [80pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 240pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon [100pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

• Caladius Grav-tank [12 PL, 240pts]

Selections: Twin Arachnus Heavy Blaze Cannon [100pts], Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon [20pts]

Sagg upgrades are back in stock, for whoever is looking for them.

Anybody had a chance to test these out yet in a competitive form?

Rcoon, I ran them at 3 RTTs back when they were still heavy support. They earned their points and then some every game. They were my favorite unit from the FW units (just sucked they were heavy support.)

Proxied them a bunch of times while waiting for them to come back in stock. They do everything I could want from a troops choice. Don't underestimate the power of 36" assault weapons for running around to take objectives in maelstrom. That and overwatching with both guns hitting on 5s from the strat will put the fear into the new space marines.

Edited by MeatGrinder

Tried them 3 times now in maelstrom (3 man squads) and tbh I’d rather take a melee option & get into hand to hand with my Guard and use something else for objectives. I find their shooting a touch weak tbh. I realise my opinion of them is not the majority opinion but that’s my experience.

Tried them 3 times now in maelstrom (3 man squads) and tbh I’d rather take a melee option & get into hand to hand with my Guard and use something else for objectives. I find their shooting a touch weak tbh. I realise my opinion of them is not the majority opinion but that’s my experience.

Previously my meta was entirely armour and ludicrous toughness units. As such running weak shooting was fairly pointless. Now that HORDE is the new name of the game I'm considering them since they can put out a lot of shots as well as throw the odd bullet at enemy armour. I always felt frustrated leaving 150 points of melee units on an objective that would otherwise be happy mincing a tank to pieces.

I ordered 2 squads of 5 for a 3+3+4 battalion so I'll see how they do vs my brother's new suped up SM army.

Edited by rcoon

I'm planning on trying out at least a unit of 3 Sagittarum to hold a backfield objective, a unit of 3 Pyrithite Guard with 3 Aquilons in a Coronus for anti-tank, and a unit of Guardians with at least 1 storm shield to either deep strike in as budget Wardens or have them move up and secure the midfield objectives. Introduces a good amount of variety in Troop choices and depending on your meta going all in on 3x3 units of Sagittarum might give some diminishing returns if your opponents aren't playing infantry heavy armies.

Once the next Big FAQ hits, I think that the meta will probably shift a bit come Sept 30. Until then, it's hard to predict what to build to counter. Also, Marines are a thing now, and that has some unpredictable impacts. Iron Hands, Ultramarines and probably a few other chapters are making a mark on the scene again. Flyers may get a deserved nerf and that will mean that the game will open up new units again. Custodes have some good options now with the expansion of the FW units, but unless we know what meta we're building for, it's a good time to get in some hobby work. 

Just wondering, has anyone tried the Obliteratum relic in games, and if you have how has it preformed? I've never seen custode players use it...ever.

Is it only worth it in casual / narrative games and if not even that, what would actually make it a consideration for the relic slot in your army?

Just wondering, has anyone tried the Obliteratum relic in games, and if you have how has it preformed? I've never seen custode players use it...ever.

Is it only worth it in casual / narrative games and if not even that, what would actually make it a consideration for the relic slot in your army?

Because its crap. Takes up a valuable relic slot for a single shot weapon that only does d3 damage. And ths fact you need a sub optimal character to put it on.

Once the next Big FAQ hits, I think that the meta will probably shift a bit come Sept 30. Until then, it's hard to predict what to build to counter. Also, Marines are a thing now, and that has some unpredictable impacts. Iron Hands, Ultramarines and probably a few other chapters are making a mark on the scene again. Flyers may get a deserved nerf and that will mean that the game will open up new units again. Custodes have some good options now with the expansion of the FW units, but unless we know what meta we're building for, it's a good time to get in some hobby work. 

FW is not a valid excuse for a non-FW army to be terrible. FW units should be supplemental to an army, not a requirement.

Warhammer GT heat 3 is over, I took the following list:

Trajann

Shield captain on dawneagle

2 x 3 sagittarum

1 x 4 sagittarum

1 x 5 wardens with spears

1 x 5 aquilon, 2 firepikes/3 lastrum

Vexilla magnifica

Game 1

Black Legion, supplies from above

This was a good match up, I played very cagily turn 1 as he made me go first so I didn't really do anything at all. he got his hell Drake into my bike captain, but didn't do any damage. In my turn 2 I send everyone into the hell Drake and advance the vexilla, teleport the terms in and charge a 10 man chaos marine squad and tag the sicaran venator.i easily kill the hell Drake too. His turn 2 and he deepstrike abbadon and the raptors but he doesnt put Abby in a charge position so I tanglefoot the maulerfiend. He does get into a 3 man squad of sagittarum with the raptors but they don't do anything and I kill them down to the sargeant, he charges another 10 chaos marines into the terminators, 5 die to overwatch and of course the rest get pummeled. Turn 3 and now its on, I shuffle around a bit and pop another teleport homer for the wardens, I shoot down the last squad of chaos space marines and then charge. Everyone makes it, the terminators go first into Abbadon, finally I get to use bringers of the emperors vengeance, 16 attacks turns into 27 hits and wounding on 2s with Trajann for re rolls its 26 wounds, Abbadon falls, the maulerfiend is dead. Anyway I table him in turn 4 I think and I was way ahead on points. Good start but I now know I'm gonna get something sterner in round 2.

Round 2 of the Warhammer GT Heat 3 and I'm up against Ultramarines (shock horror). 4 pillars and search and destroy. He's got Gman, Tiggy, cassius, 3 x 5 intercessor, 6 aggressors and 2 executioners. I deploy as hidden as possible and I make him go first he puts both executioners on top of a ruin, and he's managed to get on a second objective as well. He has an aerial on the executioner that can just, and I mean just see the tip of one of my plumes, so it fires but I only lose the 1 guy from the squad. In my turn I have to move out, everyone come forward and I shoot away one of his intercessor squads netting me first strike and kill more. We both hold 1.so it's 2-0 to me.

Turn 2 and he moves his aggressors forward and spends a CP to give them tactical doctrine. Characters follow up. He puts -1 to hit on the aggressors. His other intercessor squad move onto another objective. It takes everything he has to kill 2 of my sagittarum squads, with the cover I had and saving quite well. My turn and I move my last 2 sagittarum onto my objective, deepstrike the terminators on the vexilla right infront of the aggressors, he auspex scans and these guys also have the +1 to wound the nearest unit on them, what seems like a thousand dice rolls and about 30 minutes later I've lost 1 termie, that's OK. I deepstrike wardens in round the back to go for a 9 inch charge on his intercessors. I'm in position to kill both squads now which will be huge if I can do it. I don't do a great deal in shooting, couple of intercessors and a couple of wounds on a repulsor. Thankfully I've got my shield captain out of LoS of the aggressors and like a champ he makes it into them and the intercessors. Terms go in. Wardens fail. Termies are up first, I pop avenge the fallen so we are back up to 20 attacks, I'm hitting on 3s but Trajann is there and I think I only drop 1, then he says I'm going to play transhuman physiology, it turns out you're supposed to play this when the unit is targeted but he complains that I didn't tell him the strength on the terms, Although I'm sure I did at the start of the game (it's one of those games) either way I let him have it, so I'm now wounding on 4, I convert 16 of the 20, hell yes. He doesn't even make me roll the damage, just picks them up, moral victory if nothing else. The bike captain duly wipes the 3 intercessors and all in all not too bad. I still have no way to deal with the executioners and I'm about to get charged by Guilliman. No score this turn as we both hold 1 and killed 2.

Turn 3 and he wipes the wardens with the executioners and a bloody 5 wound super smite (gross) and he kill the last squad of sagittarum. Guilliman charges the terminators and shield captain, I have 1 CP left. He puts everything into the terms with the hand of dominion for the 4 damage. I save well and 2 go through so I now have 2 left, last CP to avenge the fallen again and 12 attacks from the terms and 5 from the shield captain later and lots of successful invulns from Gman he's got 2 wounds left. Unreal.

My turn and I charge the vexilla and Trajann in to help the others out. He uses supporting overwatch with his last 2 CP but the vexilla managed to weather it. In short I fail to kill him and he kills the 2 terminators. His turn and he charges the 2 executioners into Trajann and the vexilla. They do nothing and I do finally kill Guilliman as he focuses on the the bike captain I think now. So it's a 50/50 and he gets back up. I concede there. In summary ultramarines were 1st and 3rd in this event, and it was an incredibly tough match up, not sure what else I could have done really to be honest.

So I'm 1 and 1, game three is narrow search, guard and a knight, great. Triple basilisk , triple tank commander, 60 guardsmen, 3 mortar teams and a crusader. Pretty sure he made me go first on this one as I'd hidden everything out of line of sight. I'm prepared to let him have the objective turn 1 so I don't do anything at all, quick turn. He's then started to move some stuff forward a little, some guardsmen are exposed and in range. His knight is also unscreened. His basilisks and mortars do next to nothing. He takes the objective but no first strike.

Turn 2 and I go all in. I move all of my sagittarum out of the ruin so they can see and are mostly within 15 of the objective. And I deepstrike the wardens and the terms in front of the knight but both are in the no invuln bubble. I shoot down a lot of guardsmen, I mean a lot. And then I declare the charge on the knight with the wardens first, endless fury goes off.... And its eight 6's...EIGHT!! he wounds fairly well but I match it with a good save and 5 get through, feel no pain time and roll double 6 twice, and then 1 more 6 so I think only 1 guy dies, one more dies to the battlecannon and they fail the charge, not even worhh a re roll. Terminators are up next, and thankfully the dice god smile on me and I only take 2 wounds, I fail the charge, I have a 4 though so I CP the other dice and boom it's a 6, this game is now on. I duly murder the knight and it blows up, he keeps it hoping for a good roll on my guys but its a 1 and decimate his remaining guardsmen. By the end of the turn 30 guardsmen must be dead and the knight, in his turn he doesn't come out for the objective as he doesn't really have enough in range now but he does manage to kill. My terminators to a man with all of his firepower. 1-1

The remaining turns consist of me killing all of his troops so he can no longer score the objective and me clinging on for grim death in the no invuln bubble. It works and take a solid win.

I end day one on 2 wins and 1 loss, really happy.

Edited by swordofmandulis

Some of my friends and I have started a 1k slow-grow campaign, and I'm playing Custodes. Currently of the games I've played, I've won all of them (only one for the campaign, two test games).

The closest game was actually the one that mattered for the Campaign, against Emperor's Children.

Mission was The Scouring (6 objectives, one major (3 VP), one minor (1 VP) all others are 2 VP).

His list:

Patrol: Chaos Marines (Emperor's Children)

HQ: Dark Apostle [Warlord: Stimulated by Pain; Relic: Blissgiver]

Troop: Noise Marines x5 (Pistol/Chainsword x5, Doom Siren)

Troop: Noise Marines x5 (Sonic Blaster x4, Blastmaster, Doom Siren)

Troop: Noise Marines x5 (Sonic Blaster x4, Blastmaster, Doom Siren)

Heavy Support: Havocs x5 (Reaper Chaincannon x4, Plasma Gun)

Heavy Support: Obliterators x3

Mine was as follows:

Battalion: Adeptus Custodes

HQ: Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike (Misericordia) [Warlord: Superior Creation; Relic: Auric Aquilas]

HQ: Shield Captain (Guardian Spear, Misericordia)

Troop: Custodian Guard x3 (Guardian Spear x2, Sentinel Blade+Storm Shield)

Elite: Custodian Wardens x4 (Castellan Axe)

I feel that I only won BECAUSE I played the objectives hard. And also the fact that he didn't bring a Battalion, so he only had 3 Command Points :laugh.:

I played stupidly, as when turn 2 came around, my Warlord was out in the open and furthest ahead. So he got Endless Cacophony'd. Shoulder the Mantle saved me from losing though, as the other Shield-Captain became the Warlord. I managed to hold one objective and the Major objective, netting me 5 VP at the end, along with First Blood (1) and Linebreaker (1) for 7 to his 4.

The Wardens.... Did not do that well. They really didn't pull their weight against the Obliterators (lost 2 Wardens in the charge against the Oblits, then the remaining two took two turns to kill the remaining Oblits)

Edited by Gederas

I'm slowly building my Custodes out now, and I think I have about 3k points at this time (Just got a hold of 10 Sagitarrium Guard). Just getting to the 10 game mark for the army in general.

Once I got a feel for them, how they move, what they can and can't kill, they've been very strong in semi-casual play without spamming jetbikes or spamming grav tanks. My two losses have been really hinged on a horrendous dice roll or two. If I have bikes on the field, I ensure they are in cover t1, and in vexilla range, and they are reliably soaking damage.

Honestly, only thing I'd hope for is a drop in points for our infantry.