How are your Custodes doing?

Played again last night against a nightmare Iron Hands list:

3 x Leviathan Dread

3 x pred with autocanons

3 x Stormhawk Interceptors

Got table halfway through turn two. He killed my Orion dropship turn one with two leviathan dreads which caused two of my troops and trajaan inside to die to emergency disembark, then swiftly shot the rest with his remaining units. Dropped my Aquilons turn two next to his leviathans and failed two charges and he killed most of it in overwatch (leviathans overwatching on 5s with 20 shots is just stupid). Then he cleaned up shop in his turn.

Leviathans with character keywords, warlord traits, relics and the iron hands passives as well as the BS strat to reduce incoming damage for 1CP meant anything I did to it did 1 damage a turn maximum, which he then healed up the following turn.

Iron hands need nerfing harder, because they're bloody everywhere now.

Yeah, that’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t bother playing that one unless I could set up the densest los blocking terrain ever seen.

Ps - when you emergency disembark, you roll a d6 per person but take the losses on anyone inside (ie you take the roll of 1 from trajann’s dice and apply it to a guardian, not the big cheese)

Ps - when you emergency disembark, you roll a d6 per person but take the losses on anyone inside (ie you take the roll of 1 from trajann’s dice and apply it to a guardian, not the big cheese)

Ah I didn't know that! Still it didn't matter because over two thirds or my army died turn one anyways.

3 x Leviathan Dread

3 x pred with autocanons

Got table halfway through turn two. He killed my Orion dropship turn one with two leviathan dreads which caused two of my troops and trajaan inside to die to emergency disembark, then swiftly shot the rest with his remaining units. Dropped my Aquilons turn two next to his leviathans and failed two charges and he killed most of it in overwatch (leviathans overwatching on 5s with 20 shots is just stupid). Then he cleaned up shop in his turn.

Leviathans with character keywords, warlord traits, relics and the iron hands passives as well as the BS strat to reduce incoming damage for 1CP meant anything I did to it did 1 damage a turn maximum, which he then healed up the following turn.

That sounds quite brutal. Unfortunately for Custodes, they cannot run towards the enemy and beat them up anymore. The list is basically relegated to playing cagey and pts deny. It's not how I imagine the army to be played, but that's the current meta for us; short of getting some serious buffs in the next few months.

I'm running a completely off the wall list at the moment designed to be annoying to fight, is extremely cagey and denial based (see below).

Supreme Command Detachment (+1CP)

Trajann

Shield Captain (with Storm Shield and Sentinel Blade)

Vexilus Praetor (Magnifica, Storm Shield and Misericordia).

Supreme Command Detachment (+1CP, -3CP)

Shield Captain on Jetbike (misericordia, Auric Aquilas)

Shield Captain on Jetbike (misericordia, Eagle's Eye)

Shield Captain on Jetbike (misericordia)

6 Allarus (with axe and misericordia)

Super Heavy Auxiliary (+3CP)

Guilliman (Warlord)

8CP - 3CP (5CP); 2000pts

The Allarus basically hide in terrain making the rest of the army untargetable due to the character rule. They can tangle foot things that try to run past them, slowing down the enemy advance. Anything that comes into your half of the board is at risk of getting smashed by the characters who can heroically intervene. Everything has a 3++ save (pretty much) and it makes them all as durable as possible. The foot captains hold objectives and they can hide really easily. It forces you to dig out the Allarus, who can split up as well to make it even harder to dig them out and wastes shots. It's surprisingly effective, and frustrating to play against.

Edited by masterstrider

3 x Leviathan Dread

3 x pred with autocanons

That sounds quite brutal. Unfortunately for Custodes, they cannot run towards the enemy and beat them up anymore. The list is basically relegated to playing cagey and pts deny. It's not how I imagine the army to be played, but that's the current meta for us; short of getting some serious buffs in the next few months.

I'm running a completely off the wall list at the moment designed to be annoying to fight, is extremely cagey and denial based (see below).

Trajann

Guilliman (Warlord)

8CP - 3CP (5CP); 2000pts

The Allarus basically hide in terrain making the rest of the army untargetable due to the character rule. They can tangle foot things that try to run past them, slowing down the enemy advance. Anything that comes into your half of the board is at risk of getting smashed by the characters who can heroically intervene. Everything has a 3++ save (pretty much) and it makes them all as durable as possible. The foot captains hold objectives and they can hide really easily. It forces you to dig out the Allarus, who can split up as well to make it even harder to dig them out and wastes shots. It's surprisingly effective, and frustrating to play against.

That is some *true* hero hammer and something I may just have to give a try!

It feels very Custodes too!

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place, but I will soon be selling my custodes and starting over with alot more FW models this time hopefully.  I haven't played in over a year and wondering what are some of the better units nowawadys? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place, but I will soon be selling my custodes and starting over with alot more FW models this time hopefully.  I haven't played in over a year and wondering what are some of the better units nowawadys? Thanks in advance!

Aquilons, Wardens, Trajaan obviously, Jetbike Captains.

I've recently purchased 10 Sagittarum Guard to try them out. They seem OK but nobody in the ITC scene is running them so I guess sword and shield guardians are just better in the meta right now.

I've recently purchased 10 Sagittarum Guard to try them out. They seem OK but nobody in the ITC scene is running them so I guess sword and shield guardians are just better in the meta right now.

Awesome! Aquillons with firepikes?

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place, but I will soon be selling my custodes and starting over with alot more FW models this time hopefully. I haven't played in over a year and wondering what are some of the better units nowawadys? Thanks in advance!

I wonder if the recent marine/primaris love is the cause of the lack of Sagittarum? (Sagittarum only do one damage which is inefficient against primaris , and will be reduced to a 4+ save against so much nu-marine stuff) (they are great against non-primaris)

Awesome! Aquillons with firepikes?

Fists and bolters. Bolters kill guard/marines effectively, and fists are superior at killing tanks compared to axes!

I will always fail to realize how the master crafted bolters on the spears and axes didn't make it into the Sag Guard weapons....

Wouldn't want to make Custodes OP now would we... Heaven forbid we compete with the shiny new SM models.

Edited by rcoon

3 x Leviathan Dread

3 x pred with autocanons

Trajann

Guilliman (Warlord)

8CP - 3CP (5CP); 2000pts

Love it!

Would you not be better taking Guardians with sword and shield? 3++ and cheaper 3 wounds is better than more expensive 4 wounds if you see my thinking re d2 weapons? Also more CP for tanglefoot etc.

Someone on here recommended I use SS Shield Captains and I’ve never looked back. 3 of them to hold backfield objectives and they’re nasty to shift.

Could you also add in a Culexus to cause problems.

Did ok tonight in a games night at the local store, 3rd out of 10. 1500 points. I was using a half Custodes, quarter space wolves , quarter astra militarum list (the astra were sub optimal... had a Valkyrie and extra lord commissar that were only included because I’d just finished the Valkyrie/hind conversion and wanted to see it on the table).

Played against a shioty ad mech list with a knight Atropos in an objective game (push some relics into your opponents deployment zone). Tabled him turn 4 and won big, 11-0.

Next game was a kill point mission against an imperial fist force using all the ridiculous stratagems and powers that marines have now. Could have gone either way for a while but he eked put a win in the end game 20-16.

Good enough to get a top 3 spot and share equally in the prize money! 15 bucks!!!

My List was:

Custodes patrol

Shield captain on jetbike

Pallas

Pallas

5 custodians with sword & board

Vexilla magnifica

Wolves patrol

Jump pack smash lord

5 grey hunters

Murderfang

Astra militarum battalion

Company commander

Lord commissar

Lord commissar

Infantry squad

Infantry squad

Infantry squad

Valkyrie

Yeah... if I was trying to be competitive, at the least I’d drop the Valkyrie and a commissar... probably take some nice Sagittarum instead.

Murderfang used the shield custodians and the Pallas for cover and just brutalized whatever he came near. Great combo with the Custodes.

They aren't top tier that's for sure, FW helps but you need allies, which I'm cool with.  I only have allies for fluff reasons and Custodes, Sisters of Silence and Grey Knights etc. nearly always fight along side other forces so my guard to great with them.  I mean its actually really rare for their to be a whole Custodes, Sisters or GK army without allies.

Edited by TorvaldTheMild

So, I'm through trying to compete with my Custodes in matches. Hobby games at FLGS, sure. But ITC missions and matches, :cuss that. I'm so sick of getting shot off the table with the ridiculous cheese that is IH. Even with the nerf their stuff is too deadly. GW has swung the Meta so far into the shooting camp that melee focused armies (Chaos, Custodes, Zerg) are essentially broken, unless you pay hundreds of dollars for FW crap. Since last month, our gaming group refused to play or even allow to play several IHs armies. If you have IH, don't even bother unpacking. If you have a leviathan, get out of the store.

It's like the Tau hatred of 7th all over again.

Edited by duz_
Don't dodge the swear filter

So, I'm through trying to compete with my Custodes in matches. Hobby games at FLGS, sure. But ITC missions and matches, :censored: that. I'm so sick of getting shot off the table with the ridiculous cheese that is IH. Even with the nerf their stuff is too deadly. GW has swung the Meta so far into the shooting camp that melee focused armies (Chaos, Custodes, Zerg) are essentially broken, unless you pay hundreds of dollars for FW crap. Since last month, our gaming group refused to play or even allow to play several IHs armies. If you have IH, don't even bother unpacking. If you have a leviathan, get out of the store.

It's like the Tau hatred of 7th all over again.

I understand your reaction... but Tau hatred? That's pretty hard to surpass. :)

Seriously though I play Ultramarines and ironically they are viewed as the bottom of the hill for that new marine meta, and I can't play them very often. My opponent has to be top notch, or extremely prepared. 

I'm really enjoying my Custodes again. I've sprinkled in some of my (rather useless as well) Admech, and as a pairing they are made for fun games for sure. I would not want to go anywhere near a tournament with them though. I have spent a lot of time painting them so I might do it anyway, just to display the army and have a reason to finish painting them.

But I do understand your pain.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just had a game vs. the Necrons. Ironically Necrons are having one of the better success records vs. NuMarines. They may have lost favour, but I do think since the nerfing of the big Knight., we are seeing more of them again, and they are extremely proficient at dousing high end infantry in bullets. Speaking of high end infantry....

My game was a mix of good and bad. I can't believe how close it was but I did pull of a narrow victory of Maelstrom. So many times I thought I was dead.. finished. My Admech Skorpius tanks could not touch the big Necron anti tank vehicle... can't remember the name of them. 

He struggled, to clean out my Virtus Praetors though, and I had to take a huge risk with them because Destroyers are like a hot knife through butter on my Custodes. I over extended  as a result but killed a shed load of 2 squads of Destroyers and kept the rest of my infantry alive long enough to get there. 

We ended in turn 5 and it was incredibly messy. A super fun game on both sides though. 

A fixed three damage weapon (even a relic) would help Custodes immensely. As it is, marine captains can do far more damage.

For example, against T8, save 3+, the average damage is:

Charging jetbike shield captain = 4w

Wolf lord, hammer = 6w

Blood angels death visions + artisan = 12w

Murderfang dreadnought = 15 (or 18 if he has someone giving to hit rerolls)

The smash captains are much cheaper, and the dreadnought is about the same, as the jetbike shield captain (who is far more survivable).

I think Custodes are great at taking a punch, can slay elite infantry... but need allies for decisive melees against big targets, which is a shame (both game and fluff wise)

My Custodes are growing slowly, I should have 1k of them by Christmas. Do you think people will hate me for running 1ks of pure Custodes in a non-competitive environment? :biggrin.:

Once Sisters of Silence have an HQ, I suppose one could make a Patrol Detachment from them and it wouldn't be so bad.  But right now, the only way to include them is as an Auxiliary Detachment, costing you a Command Point.

Incorrect, they share a Faction keyword with the Primaris Psyker, of all things: Astra Telepathica.

You can run Astra Telepathica Vanguards. They are also Elites as far as I know.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

No one would be mad at my local store if you ran pure Custodes.  Anything that has been created since july 2019 should be able to be very competitive against them.  

As to including primaris psykers in SoS detachment, you are both wrong, and right.  Yes, a version of a primaris psyker shares a keyword.  However, as was pointed out to me, that is the one in the AM codex, which is AM.  The one you are thinking of is from an older WD article, and doesn't have the correct points cost, therefor the issue remains in limbo to this day.  RAI, you cannot include anything in the SoS HQ slot.  RAW, you can use a older version of primaris psyker that was invalidated by the new primaris psyker in the AM codex. 

The most revent datasheet for the astra telepathica primaris psyker is index imperium 2

The most recent datasheet for the astra militarum primaris psyker is codex astra militarum (although it has the astra telepathica keyword).

The astro telepathica faction has not been updated so you can use it in a astro telepathica detatchment. You are only obligated to replace the datasheet in astra militarum detatchment.

As there is no Astra Telepathica codex, you are obligated to use the data sheet from index imperium 2, which is a different cost than the AM version.  That is what I was getting at.