Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How are your Custodes doing?

• Please log in to reply
1354 replies to this topic

Mainely Wargamming

Mainely Wargamming

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts
  • Faction: Custodes

I have a SC with Sword and Board, and I use him with my guardian squads to charge of the middle of the field and bully mobs.  My guardians do good work holding the mid field with him around. Sometime I want to experiment with adding an Imperius flag to them, and make them extra killy.  I keep Trajan in the back field with the tanks and a flag, and I send my Bike Captain and his squad of 5 bikes out on Hunter-killer missions.

• BaconCouch and MustertheCustards like this

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
  • Faction: All of them?
Okay so number of bikes in a 2k list? I know this depends heavily on the rest of your list but for a footslogging force how many bikes is too many for most of you? I have 6 and wanted to run one as a captain which leaves me with 400 points of bikes plus gun, 475 with salvo launchers. I’m of course going to paint all 5 but is dedicating almost 1/4 of a 2k list to bikes overkill or just par for the course? If they’re an effective unit I’ll happily take them but are they good enough to buy more?

Edited by Fajita Fan, 12 December 2019 - 03:24 PM.

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

BaconCouch

BaconCouch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Okay so number of bikes in a 2k list? I know this depends heavily on the rest of your list but for a footslogging force how many bikes is too many for most of you? I have 6 and wanted to run one as a captain which leaves me with 400 points of bikes plus gun, 475 with salvo launchers. I’m of course going to paint all 5 but is dedicating almost 1/4 of a 2k list to bikes overkill or just par for the course? If they’re an effective unit I’ll happily take them but are they good enough to buy more?

I personally run 5 with a bike captain if I am running bikes. All with hurricane bolters. Usually no misericordia.
The math on hurricane bolters if I remember right is better against all target profiles aside from T8 vehicles, in which case the missiles are better.

40k Armies I Own

Necrons (10,000 Points)

Custodes (3000 Points)

Space Marines (3500 Points)

Mainely Wargamming

Mainely Wargamming

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts

If you are using your bikes as Anti-Tank platforms, you're gonna have a bad time.  

(Que meme photo)

BaconCouch

BaconCouch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

If you are using your bikes as Anti-Tank platforms, you're gonna have a bad time.  

(Que meme photo)

You're not at all wrong. I usually have a pair of Storm Cannon Drednoughts for that purpose.

40k Armies I Own

Necrons (10,000 Points)

Custodes (3000 Points)

Mainely Wargamming

Mainely Wargamming

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts

I was more implying that people who let their friends use Melta Missile Bikes likely also let their friends drive Smart Cars and wear Nickleback merch.

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
/intrigued
What don’t you like about them? Are you dedicating your bikes to go after infantry only?

Edited by Fajita Fan, 13 December 2019 - 02:00 PM.

BaconCouch

BaconCouch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

/intrigued
What don’t you like about them? Are you dedicating your bikes to go after infantry only?

Mathematically, the hurricane bolters are more effective against all targets of T7 of less. The bikes also don't ignore the heavy penalty, so they only hit on 3s, and only get 1 shot. If they got d3 shots, and were something 'not' heavy, they'd be worth considering.

The hurricane bolters also lend really useful weight of fire to an army that desperately needs it.

40k Armies I Own

Necrons (10,000 Points)

Custodes (3000 Points)

Mainely Wargamming

Mainely Wargamming

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts

It's just inefficient.  There are much better options for anti-tank.  As a matter of fact, depending on the target, a Hurricane Bolter will likely still do more damage to most platforms.  For less points, and greater flexability.  There is literally no downside to Hurricane Bolters on bikes.  The Melta missile is good for one target, and that's a T8 vehicle with no invuln save.  So, Landraiders. 

Melta Shot: 1 shot, let's say it hits, and wounds, is likely only about 3 damage.

Hurricanes: 12 shots, lets say 10 hit, lets say 2 get through wounds on a 6+, 1-2 damage.  

Now on t7 and below, Hurricanes outperform Meltas all the way.  

Also, if you are playing bikes, your charge/fight is likely to do the most damage to that T8 target.  No matter what you choose.  So the Hurricane Bolters just make more sense overall.  Unless, Like I said, your opponent is fielding all Landraiders.  

MustertheCustards

MustertheCustards

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts

I've been making 1 work

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
1 unit of bikes?

It's just inefficient. There are much better options for anti-tank. As a matter of fact, depending on the target, a Hurricane Bolter will likely still do more damage to most platforms. For less points, and greater flexability. There is literally no downside to Hurricane Bolters on bikes. The Melta missile is good for one target, and that's a T8 vehicle with no invuln save. So, Landraiders.

Melta Shot: 1 shot, let's say it hits, and wounds, is likely only about 3 damage.

Hurricanes: 12 shots, lets say 10 hit, lets say 2 get through wounds on a 6+, 1-2 damage.

Now on t7 and below, Hurricanes outperform Meltas all the way.

Also, if you are playing bikes, your charge/fight is likely to do the most damage to that T8 target. No matter what you choose. So the Hurricane Bolters just make more sense overall. Unless, Like I said, your opponent is fielding all Landraiders.

Fair points, good thoughts. I wish they had plasma though...

Edited by duz_, 14 December 2019 - 03:57 PM.
Merged double posts

• MustertheCustards likes this

MustertheCustards

MustertheCustards

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts
Hurricane plasmas, lets see em GW.

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 737 posts

Hurricane plasmas, lets see em GW.

Hopefully they only take mortal wounds from ‘gets hot’, otherwise the volume of shots will lead to a vey short lived bike unit!

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 332 posts

Played my first game with the freshly minted banana-boys yesterday. 1500pts free for all with 3 players. Opponents were Raven guard and another custodes faction.

Had a blast, came out on top by VP's.

Highlight of the game was my bike captain with 3+ invuln bike relic and the 5+ FNP taking ONE damage from the other custodes bike captain, and a squad of 3 vertus praetors, from all their shooting, and charging.  He then proceeded to spank two of the vertus praetors to death back on his fight back. Next turn he spanked the last bike, then he had a wet noodle fight with the other bike captain for a turn.

Hella lucky rolls for sure, but that one dude tied up an entire flank for two turns.

We shall do no dishonor to the Blood Father, the Imperium, or the Emperor. We fight, for they are all that is worth fighting for in the darkness of this eternity of war.
~Chaplain Augustus of The Angels Cruentus

9th Ed. "The Inexorable Demise" (DG) - Record: W|2 D|0 L|0               |    9th Ed. "Star Phantoms" (SM, Primaris Units Only) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "The Dark Legion" (DKoK) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0                      |    9th Ed. "Adeptus Custodes" - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "Orkz" (Warboss MetulFace's Mob) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0        |    9th Ed. "Vlka Fenryka" (SM) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "Crimson Fists" (SM, First-born Only) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0     |    9th Ed. "Farsight Forward Scouting Force" (Farsight Enclaves, Tau) - Record: W|1 D|1 L|0

9th Ed. "Luna Wolves" - Record: W|0 D|0 L|0 (WIP, force mustering)    |    30k. "Luna Wolves" - Record: W|0 D|0 L|0 (WIP, force mustering)

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
Wet noodle fight :D

Mr. Funktastic

Mr. Funktastic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 50 posts

Are Twin Adrathic Destructors on Aquilons worth it at all? They look badass and seems like they can do work against Primaris in this Marine meta or take surprise chunks off of vehicles if they get lucky with the wound rolls. I already have 3 Firepikes and I know Lastrum Storm Bolters are generally preferred otherwise but I'd like to hear people's experiences with them.

BaconCouch

BaconCouch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Are Twin Adrathic Destructors on Aquilons worth it at all? They look badass and seems like they can do work against Primaris in this Marine meta or take surprise chunks off of vehicles if they get lucky with the wound rolls. I already have 3 Firepikes and I know Lastrum Storm Bolters are generally preferred otherwise but I'd like to hear people's experiences with them.

i imagine they'd be fantastic against Primaris specifically. But they don't have the ROF to take on hordes.
Yeah, against vehicles they'd be solid, but again, counting on that wound roll, and they're a bit expensive.

40k Armies I Own

Necrons (10,000 Points)

Custodes (3000 Points)

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts

i imagine they'd be fantastic against Primaris specifically. But they don't have the ROF to take on hordes.
Yeah, against vehicles they'd be solid, but again, counting on that wound roll, and they're a bit expensive.

I had planned to pair them with the firepikes once I get around to converting them, they're 18" range so they'd seem cool to DS into the backfield with flamers.

Edited by Fajita Fan, 17 December 2019 - 09:29 PM.

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
I ordered 10 of the dual pistols for a squad of Sisters and I can’t find any 40k points for them. I took for granted that they exist, that kinda sucks that a bunch of other FW Talons stuff got 40k rules and stats. :(

Shield-Captain

Shield-Captain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 102 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

I ordered 10 of the dual pistols for a squad of Sisters and I can’t find any 40k points for them. I took for granted that they exist, that kinda sucks that a bunch of other FW Talons stuff got 40k rules and stats. :(

I just use the dual bolt pistol ladies as a normal bolter squad. It would be cool if the Sisters received more love from GW but that seems unlikely at this point.

23.jpg

Vogon

Vogon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 465 posts
  • Faction: XX Legion
I’m currently taking part in a 500pts limit combat patrol campaign with the following restrictions

Nothing over T7
Nothing over 12W
0-1 HQ
1-3 Troops
0-2 Elites
0-2 Fast attack
0 Heavy
0-1 Flyers

I never knew there were so many things that could put out flat 3 damage and lots of attacks in combat.

Regular guardians are getting mulched. In the first few games I’ve faced an invictus warsuit and a Deathguard Daemon Prince. It didn’t end well.

Cheers

Vogon

Now choose, either die in the vacuum of space or....
Tell me how good you thought my poem was.

L_T_Legion_20.jpg gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

BaconCouch

BaconCouch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

I’m currently taking part in a 500pts limit combat patrol campaign with the following restrictions

Nothing over T7
Nothing over 12W
0-1 HQ
1-3 Troops
0-2 Elites
0-2 Fast attack
0 Heavy
0-1 Flyers

I never knew there were so many things that could put out flat 3 damage and lots of attacks in combat.

Regular guardians are getting mulched. In the first few games I’ve faced an invictus warsuit and a Deathguard Daemon Prince. It didn’t end well.

Cheers

Vogon

If they want to be jammy about it, be jammy back. Run a shield captain on dawneagle, and as many jetbikes as you can fit.

• Vogon and MustertheCustards like this

40k Armies I Own

Necrons (10,000 Points)

Custodes (3000 Points)

rcoon

rcoon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 231 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

My 3 Pallas Grav-Attack arrived yesterday. Hoping to be able to field a mildly competitive Custodes list for once and not get pounded into the dust.

Mostly just writing and DMing WH40K campaigns for other people at the moment.

• Prot, duz_ and MustertheCustards like this

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
Do they have turrets or hull mounted guns?

.Torch.

.Torch.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts
Hull mounted turrets, why?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpggallery_62972_14467_13241.jpggallery_48988_15094_6453.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users