Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grey Knights Vanguard Detachment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Meatcaber

Meatcaber

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels/Tyranids

Hi guys,

Would appreciate a little feedback on this. Obviously not meant as a standalone force but rather as a compliment to a very shooty Adeptus Mechanicus army. 

It's 870 points for 8 models which seems like a lot, though it does mean less to paint! Been seriously considering buying a (GMi)DK purely so I can paint it, think it'll be fun to paint one. 

Instead of the Apothecary I thought a Brotherhood Ancient with the Banner of Refining Flame relic would be a nice thing to have. The Paragon and Apothecary have Hammers to benefit for the the increased WS. Using the Index points for everything exept the GM.

Dreadnought will be protected/bubble-wrapped while it sits behind terrain and shoots away, and everything else will TP in together once the Admech have softened things up, cleared away screens/annoying units. etc. 

Grey Knights Vanguard Detachment - 870

HQ

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight; 290

Gatling Psilencer; Heavy Psycannon; Greathammer

Warlord Trait; First into the Fray

Psychic Powers; Sanctuary; Smite

ELITE

5 Paladins; 2x Psilencer; 3x Stormbolter; 4x Force Swords; Paragon w/ Daemon Hammer; 292

Psychic Powers; Hammerhand; Smite

Apothecary; Daemon Hammer; 103

Psychic Powers; Gate of Infinity; Smite

Venerable Dreadnought; Twin Lascannon; Missile Launcher; 185

Psychic Powers; Astral Aim; Smite

One question, can the Paladins take double Falchions, or are they limited to just a single melee weapon? If only singles would Swords or Halberds be better for them? 

Thanks for looking!

Helycon

Helycon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 811 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Hi guys,

Would appreciate a little feedback on this. Obviously not meant as a standalone force but rather as a compliment to a very shooty Adeptus Mechanicus army.

It's 870 points for 8 models which seems like a lot, though it does mean less to paint! Been seriously considering buying a (GMi)DK purely so I can paint it, think it'll be fun to paint one.

Instead of the Apothecary I thought a Brotherhood Ancient with the Banner of Refining Flame relic would be a nice thing to have. The Paragon and Apothecary have Hammers to benefit for the the increased WS. Using the Index points for everything exept the GM.

Dreadnought will be protected/bubble-wrapped while it sits behind terrain and shoots away, and everything else will TP in together once the Admech have softened things up, cleared away screens/annoying units. etc.

Grey Knights Vanguard Detachment - 870

HQ

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight; 290
Gatling Psilencer; Heavy Psycannon; Greathammer
Warlord Trait; First into the Fray
Psychic Powers; Sanctuary; Smite

ELITE

5 Paladins; 2x Psilencer; 3x Stormbolter; 4x Force Swords; Paragon w/ Daemon Hammer; 292
Psychic Powers; Hammerhand; Smite

Apothecary; Daemon Hammer; 103
Psychic Powers; Gate of Infinity; Smite

Venerable Dreadnought; Twin Lascannon; Missile Launcher; 185
Psychic Powers; Astral Aim; Smite

One question, can the Paladins take double Falchions, or are they limited to just a single melee weapon? If only singles would Swords or Halberds be better for them?

Thanks for looking!

Looks like you're picking the strongest units. The Venerable Dread is OK-ish. Another Apothecary is probably a better option. They're beasts.

Paladins can take Falchions for that extra attack and do some even heftier chop chop.

Edited by Helycon, 29 January 2018 - 09:29 PM.

• Meatcaber likes this

Meatcaber

Meatcaber

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

Thank you for the quick response :)

That's pretty awesome! I think 4 paladins with double Falchions, plus the Paragon with the Hammer, combined with Hammerhand, is gonna be pretty beastly in combat. Might just keep them with Stormbolters to keep them cheap since I'm gonna want them in combat probably all of the time. 

What about, instead of a 2nd Apothecary, I take a Brotherhood Ancient with the Banner of Refining Flame relic. That'll boost the Falco-Paladins to 5 attacks each and inflict d6 MW's every turn they are in combat, plus extra Hammer attacks and whatever he does as well. 

I'll leave the shooty stuff to AdMech, since they seem to be better at it.

Helycon

Helycon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 811 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Thank you for the quick response :)

That's pretty awesome! I think 4 paladins with double Falchions, plus the Paragon with the Hammer, combined with Hammerhand, is gonna be pretty beastly in combat. Might just keep them with Stormbolters to keep them cheap since I'm gonna want them in combat probably all of the time.

What about, instead of a 2nd Apothecary, I take a Brotherhood Ancient with the Banner of Refining Flame relic. That'll boost the Falco-Paladins to 5 attacks each and inflict d6 MW's every turn they are in combat, plus extra Hammer attacks and whatever he does as well.

I'll leave the shooty stuff to AdMech, since they seem to be better at it.

GK special weapons struggle a lot and are expensive to say the least. Storm bolters clear chaff with ease due to weight if fire.

The ancient is fairly expensive for what he does. He only gives 1 extra attack, when he is in range. An apothecary always had these attacks and can keep your folks alive, or even bring them back, just make sure you don't fail that 4+ then though!

The D6 MW sound great in theory, but the range is very short, meaning he needs to be in CC., meaning you need to make a lot of charges, even with FttF, which is...not ideal. Deepstriking every GK you have is risky.

Also, do note that you're locking yourself out of any Warlord traits you may want from the Mechanicum side of things, as well as relics. If you're fine with that, good. If you want some if those, your Warlord will need to be there.
  • Meatcaber likes this

Corvus Fortis

Corvus Fortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts

Depends on what AdMech part is. If you go Onager-heavy + Kastellans, main purpose of GK will be distraction. No one will ignore a GMNDK in their deployment zone. Banner of Refining flame shouldn't be used without Brother Captain. And if you have enough shooting to wipe the enemy in several turns, it is not worth it. Ancient is not cheap too, so no reason to bring it for paladins only, If it is Paladin Ancient, it is almost as expensive as a whole 3-Paladin Squad, so simply bring more Paladins instead. Also depends on if you need AdMech WT and Relic. Without First to the Fray it is unlikely your GK will charge turn 1 (even with it it's unreliable). And if you have a lot of shooting from AdMech, you do not really need a Dreadnought. I'd go with GMNDK with Sword, Psycannon and Psilencer, two 3-man paladin squad and an Apothecary with hammer and Cuirass of Sacrifice. Such a threat cannot be ignored.  Sword is more versatile than hammer (and Onagers fill the role the Hammer usually does for pure GK). For Paladins it depends on enemy you usually face. If it is hordes of t3 or t7 vehicles, Falchions are better, while halberds are good against t4 and t8. Falchions are more versatile, but paladins do not need them as desperately as Strike Squads.

And if you are going to face something like IG, I'd go for battalion instead of Vanguard. GMNDK, Voldus and 3 5-man Strike Squads are even cheaper than Vanguard with Paladins. Add an Apothecary for spare points. This will be strong versatile force (shooting vs hordes, CC against elites and vehicles) and give you 3 cp. 

• Meatcaber likes this

Meatcaber

Meatcaber

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

Thank you both for your help - it is much appreciated!

Wasn't just wanting a distraction. Was wanting something that was good in CC and can take a beating, not just something that will distract my opponent for a turn or two. Some psychic defence is a bonus since AdMech have none. GMDK and Paladins can do all of this, the Dread I added because I have one and it seems cool, and the Apothecary was so I could make a detachment out of it. According to 1d4 chan the Apothecary is one of the GK's better choices and it seemed like a no-brainer not to take at least one.

I actually got a really good deal on ebay for 10 Paladins, built, unpainted but with all their weapons and options fully magnetised, this includes pieces to build 2 Apothecaries and a 2 Banner bearers. With this I could field 2 Apothecaries if I wanted to, and could probably make a few characters with it as well. Now I just need to buy the GMDK.

Was actually thinking last night that 2 squads of Paladins would be better than having the Ancient (as again, 1d4 doesn't 'rate' it too great) and an Apothecary (with the Hammer, of course) would be the minimum amount of points I'd have to spend to include everything. But a bigger squad, maybe 5 Paladins, would get more benefit from Hammerhand, and backed by 2 Apothecaries with Hammers would add a lot of punch. So that's kinda the two ways I'm thinking of doing it. Basically, you guys are echoing what 1d4 tells me and giving me good advice! 

Haven't actually played against any horde armies yet. The last few games I've played against Red Scorpions (beat me twice!), Tzeentch daemons w/ 2 DP's, Khorne CSM, Death Guard and Ultramarines. But there's other guys who go to the games club that I haven't played yet who play IG, Tyranids, SW and AdMech/UM. The guy I usually play has Eldar, GK and DG.  

The AdMech consists of a single Battalion (so far):

Dominus

Enginseer

3 squads of rangers

2 Dunecrawlers

The Battalion idea has merit but that means buying all those things, whereas I have the Paladins and want to use them. in the future I may invest in some Strike squads to fill out a Battalion, but for now it kinda boils down to either:

GMDK

5 Paladins

2x Apothecary 

OR

GMDK

2x3 Paladins

Apothecary (maybe 2 if I have points leftover)

Don't think it'll make too big a difference in the grand scheme of things, but having the options there to field either is good to have. 

Thank you both for your help :)

Corvus Fortis

Corvus Fortis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts

Looks like a formidable force. Taking 2x3 paladins has its own pros and cons. You will have more attacks and wounds, 2 paragons (which really want to have hammers). But you have to roll for charges separately and cannot cast Hammerhand on both.  And keep in minds, that they are not as durable as they can seem. If they are focused, they will go down very quickly. For GMNDK I sill recommend sword over hammer. WIth hammer you can get unlucky with 2s to-hit and it fills role similar to your Onagers. Sword, while not much worse, always hits on 2+ re-rollable. 

If you want to expand GK force further - 2 10-man Strike squad boxes is a must. Also consider Voldus. He is one of the best magic deniers in the game.

Meatcaber

Meatcaber

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 221 posts

Aye, there always a downside to most things, though if taking 2 squads I can always mix and match my Psychic Powers. Think points should allow for Hammers on everything! The idea is to keep them until I need them, waiting a turn or two or even three while the AdMech guys soften things up!

Might try and magnetise my GMDK so I can take the sword or the hammer. The sword definitely looks cooler, sometimes that's more important.

When my magnetised Paladins arrive I could probably kitbash a Voldus out of all the bits, maybe use a Paragon model as the base and add something else to make him stand out a bit more. 

Matt_149

Matt_149

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts
Luckily you don't need to magnetize the ndk as it's weapons gun mounts can clip on and off if you build them in one section and the gun barrels can slide in and out without a magnet. Same with the sword/hammer I just use a bit of bluetak in the recess.

Edited by Matt_149, 18 February 2018 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users