Understanding Primarch Application

GriffonI92

I am looking at getting my first Primarch, Fulgrim in my Legion's case, and curious about the application; aka tactics on getting them to the fight and keeping them alive.

I was looking at surrounding mine with Phoenix Terminators and thrown in a Storm Eagle (The Storm Eagle I feel fits the Emperor's Children theme a bit better) I think with Fulgrim's Special Rules I could bring the Storm Eagle in on Turn 2 and then Turn 3 assaulting. I know its a bit late and unpredictable but compared to a lumbering Spartan it evens out I figure. 

I know this concept is a bit unorthodox but that is why I am here asking. Appreciate it!

You could take a command squad, give them combat shields and lots of power weapons and put everyone in a dresdclaw. That arrived turn one and then you an charge turn 2.

Or if you want Terminators and a lot of eggs in a big basket, you use a khyrbdis.

I'm intending on running Angron in a Kharybdis, backed with a whole squad of Inductii because really, with Angron getting hopefully into combat on turn 2, my Butchers can be elsewhere causing havoc

You could take a command squad, give them combat shields and lots of power weapons and put everyone in a dresdclaw. That arrived turn one and then you an charge turn 2.

Or if you want Terminators and a lot of eggs in a big basket, you use a khyrbdis.

I'm intending on running Angron in a Kharybdis, backed with a whole squad of Inductii because really, with Angron getting hopefully into combat on turn 2, my Butchers can be elsewhere causing havoc

Angron can't join inductii though. Backing him up with standard marines still makes for an incredibly killy unit.

Angron can't join inductii though. Backing him up with standard marines still makes for an incredibly killy unit.

Ah, I don't actually own book 6 yet, ordering it soon, Im just aware of inductii rules. I just assumed he could join them. I was gonna say though, standard WE marines with chain axes will do the job

As most people have said it’s about getting them into the lines. Especially with the combat orientated characters. Don’t forget Fulgrim picking his tactic is huge so take your time picking it. As you rightly pointed out he can help himself come out of reserves if needed. He can add a lot of other great benefits to the army as well.

If your going to fly him in honestly grab a command rhino and nab a +1 to your roll.

The pod deep strike does work well and there is a reason why a lot of lists favour it for delivering the unit to front lines. You can risk being unsupported with them though especially if your just running just 1.

If your staying away from bunkers on tracks then I think the fire raptor is a great call. As for the body guard, there isn’t a huge amount between command squad and Phoenix guard. The terminators are the fluffy choice given there role as his retinue but a command squad with combat shields end up having the same combat saves. Personally I’d go terminators for rule of cool but ultimately it’s your decision.

Stray

I haven’t scoured the new rulebook fully yet, and it’s kind of vague how many of the clarifications from the 7th edition FAQ still apply, but if I am remembering Fulgrim’s rules correctly, he must be in play in order to grant his reserve bonuses.

As of 7th edition, that meant no reserve rerolls if he’s in transport or reserve. Not sure if that is still true for Horus Heresy 1st edition.