Hey! I Got the Reivers box!

Far.Mountain

So I got the Reiver box with 10 marines inside. I bought them because I think they are the coolest looking things in the Primaris range and I knew since the beginning that I wanted them in my army. I am torn with how to assemble them and I'd like to ask your advice. Should they be split into 2 five man squads or kept as 1 ten man squad? Should they have the Bolt Carbines or the heavy bolt pistol and combat knife loadout? Should they have the grav-chutes or grapnel launchers? How about 1 squad of knives with grapnels and 1 squad of carbines with grav chutes?

If you're wondering the rest of the army consists of 3 five man squads of intercessors, 1 three man squad of inceptors, 1 five man squad of hellblasers, 2 lieutenants, 1 ancient, 1 primaris captain in gravis armor. I'm looking for a way the Reivers could compliment the rest of the force. I haven't played or painted the army yet and haven't decided on chapter rules.

I really like Reivers, but it depends on your list.

For example, I'm currently running two squads of 5 in Repulsors, armed only with Carbines and a Sgt with Carbine and Blade. Imo this is the better weapon choice if running units of 5.

Probably the best way to run Reivers is with Grav Chutes and Carbines, arriving via deep-strike. Blade and Bolt Pistol is also good if you're intending to have them spend more time in melee thinning out horde units.

The guys are 18 points per man, super efficient for a guy with 2 wounds and 2 attacks base, as well as those fancy concussion Grenades. Reivers, Hellblasters and Intercessors are generally the most efficient PA infantry, paying 9 points per t4 3+ save wound.

They are certainly efficient defensively against 1D weapons but the offense tends to be a bit lacking aside from Hellblasters.

Aggressors seem impractical but I'm still going to buy some.

Cost for cost Intercessors and Reivers seem to lack punch but maybe I'm missing something.

Wow ... I know I've been gone a few editions but I never thought I'd hear the day SM player "complained" about his Troop choice having a 30 inch range.bolter, two attacks in melee ... and 2 wounds, why yes sir thank you for only a 50% increase in cost :D

Totally in line with Ishagu's assessment.

Reivers. LOVE them. I just wish they were Troop choice. I'd take 6 x10 man squads. All with Carbine and Grav- chutes (which of course is why they are Elites :() As is I'll settle for one unit until I figure if any of the other Elites excite me as much (Go Team Primaris) ;)

Edit: it's my opinion too often a certain style of players get caught up in rushing forward and engaging the enemy. Which is fine if that is what that unit is designed for. For instance Devestators would be a poor choice for operating in that fashion, and everyone knows it. Reivers are tricky in my opinion. Carbines are listed as an "assault" weapon but in reality it's an avoidance weapon. Land a safe distance from a softer target and fire at will. If anyone attempts to close with them, move back and rinse wash and repeat the fire pattern. If they aren't paying attention your opponent will find the pursuing unit in range of Intercessors and Hellblasters support.

As an aside, I've purposefully designed my Interceptors to act as a rapid reaction force to support the Reivers. Now they choose between the 10 Reivers dropping back or the Plasma-ceptors burning their backsides :)

Unless your a Blood Angel, then Knives and Pistols are totally legit :D

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Thanks for all the feedback, it's really helped me get a handle on how best to effectively utilize the Reivers. It looks like carbines are the most popular option. I think two 5 man squads with carbines and grav-chutes would make a flexible harassment force to take the heat off my hellblasters and intercessors.

I would tell Knife-Chute is the way to go. Terror bonus is only useful when you're close.

One can make knife-chute reivers really shine by using Black Templars detachment because of 50% first turn charge after deepstriking.

Good to know that someone likes Knife Reivers. :D

It sounds like its best to choose knife vs carbine depending on what chapter tactics you're running. 

Good to know that someone likes Knife Reivers. :biggrin.:

It sounds like its best to choose knife vs carbine depending on what chapter tactics you're running. 

Well, the only advantage Reivers have over Intercessors is that Reivers can Deepstrike for just two points. But a lot of Codex units can deepstrike anyway. And while picking shooty reivers, you don't use terror, don't use shock grenades, don't have an access to grenade launcher and/or other alternative weapons and don't have ob-sec bonus, while the cost stays the same as Intercessors'.

So I'd pick Intercessors on top of shooty Reivers any day of the week, unless the table is building-heavy.

But in an all Primaris list (despite the arguments against) there are currently only two units that can deep strike so Reivers do have an advantage over Intercessors. The likelihood of getting an assault off is slim and having to be 9" away also negates shock grenades. Better to 'chute into a decent position and take advantage of the assault 2 carbine and manoeuvre in the next turn or two for assaults.

I have used these guys many times, and after the first 4-5 games with them I wasn’t quite sold but I definitely gravitated towards the carbine build just for the shots. My biggest complaint is they have limited real destructive capabilities eyond chaff and annoyance missions.

I mean even a Fist or a melta gun or two, but we’ve come to learn that it is by Guilliman’s design that all the Primaris are fairly monochromatic by design. I hate to admit this but I’ve never really got use out of their grenades. That said they feel almost essential to make moves deep in enemy territory.

That’s the thing with Primaris units. Individually none of them are world beaters. Even the Hellblasters need a bubble wrap or a unit of equal threat level so they don’t take all the enemy fire to start the game with. Synergy of units has never been so important as it is with Primaris Marines.

Except for the filthy xenos Aeldar Aspect army, and they don’t count because ... xenos. ;)