Grotsmasha's Conversion Challenge 8: WARLORDS

Grotsmasha

I, BCK, being of unsound mind pledge to undertake the Warlord's Challenge and finish a Bloodthirster by March 2, 2018. 

Hidden Content

Here's the most recent pics I took of it. 

M9PfKf4.png

I'm going to re-do the wing and back musculature, finish the arms, make the axes prettier and probably some other masochistic details.

Good man!! Welcome aboard!

COMPLETION THREAD

6- Multiple entries per user.

Just wondering how many multiple entries are allowed per person?

Also, do Chaos Sorcerer's/Terminator Sorcerer's count?

You can post as many entries as you would like, I just ask that each model is photographed individually. We will be doing a Psykers Challenge in a couple of months, but if your ready now I'll allow it :tu:

We will be doing a Psykers Challenge in a couple of months, but if your ready now I'll allow it :tu:

So, Space Marine players can't submit Librarians, nor can Heresy players, since they're forbidden in both instances, but Chaos Space Marine players can, now? o.Ô

We will be doing a Psykers Challenge in a couple of months, but if your ready now I'll allow it :thumbsup:

So, Space Marine players can't submit Librarians, nor can Heresy players, since they're forbidden in both instances, but Chaos Space Marine players can, now? o.Ô

Perks of the job, if your a dirty loyalist you never get to have fun. Join team Chaos, we have cake and dancing. 

http://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpg

Oh, what the hell, I need to get this guy done anyway.

I, Lexington, undertake the Warlords Challenge to build the High Lord Esarhaddon, Master of the Sicarii Tribe of Word Bearers (look, you call him just "a Chaos Lord," see what that gets you), by March 2nd 2018.

Here's what the big galoot looks like now. Tradition dictates that he have legs and a midsection, so guess I should make those.

qAwv7E5.jpg

Edited by Lexington

I don't quite understand the 25% rule. The model can't have more than 25% existing pieces but how does that work? If I give him legs I have to sculpt literally everything else? Or is it an unmodified 25%? How does this work for tau battlesuits since even with heavy conversion work it seems impossible to use less than 25% existing parts

I don't quite understand the 25% rule. The model can't have more than 25% existing pieces but how does that work? If I give him legs I have to sculpt literally everything else? Or is it an unmodified 25%? How does this work for tau battlesuits since even with heavy conversion work it seems impossible to use less than 25% existing parts

The 25% rule, as far as I understand, only applies to character models ie. a named character or a monopose figure of a HQ. That is to avoid just getting a miniature, swapping some parts (head, weapons) and calling it done. So if you want to make a terminator captain, you can only use up to 25% of Marneus Calgar or another terminator character (you can use 25% of different models, ie. Legs from Calgar and the arms from another terminator captain). Other than that, you can just kitbash the whole model, or add conversions and sculpted details as you please.

In the case of tau crisis suits, you could use a generic crisis suit and modify it to represent a commander, or you could use up to 25% of Farsight and/or the generic commander as a base. Admittedly, the space marine factions have probably the most options due to the huge amount of kits and the cross-compatibility.

Grotsmasha, if I got anything wrong let us know to avoid confusion or mistakes.

We will be doing a Psykers Challenge in a couple of months, but if your ready now I'll allow it :thumbsup:

Perks of the job, if your a dirty loyalist you never get to have fun. Join team Chaos, we have cake and dancing. 

http://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpghttp://i58.tinypic.com/d86px.jpg

Terminator Sorcerer's aren't on the list either, but *IF* anyone wishes to complete a Psyker (from ANY faction) as a Warlord for this Challenge, I'll allow it :thumbsup:

The 25% rule, as far as I understand, only applies to character models ie. a named character or a monopose figure of a HQ. That is to avoid just getting a miniature, swapping some parts (head, weapons) and calling it done. So if you want to make a terminator captain, you can only use up to 25% of Marneus Calgar or another terminator character (you can use 25% of different models, ie. Legs from Calgar and the arms from another terminator captain). Other than that, you can just kitbash the whole model, or add conversions and sculpted details as you please.

In the case of tau crisis suits, you could use a generic crisis suit and modify it to represent a commander, or you could use up to 25% of Farsight and/or the generic commander as a base. Admittedly, the space marine factions have probably the most options due to the huge amount of kits and the cross-compatibility.

Grotsmasha, if I got anything wrong let us know to avoid confusion or mistakes.

Elzender, you've got it dead right :thumbsup:

Marshal van Trapp, if you want to do a battlesuit, you're limited to upto 25% from Farsight and upto 25% from the finecast Commander, you have unlimited access to the rest of the battlesuit range (if I recall correctly)

Edited by Grotsmasha

The bits I was waiting for are finally in my twisted heretical hands!! So I can now enter the challenge! It'll be my first 'serious' conversion and greenstuff will have to be involved at some point which I'm worried about because it will also be my first time working with it. But, who cares? It's the perfect excuse to finally get around doing this:

I, Warpmiss, undertake the Warlords Challenge to build at least one Iron Warriors Daemon Prince by March 2nd 2018

The bits I was waiting for are finally in my twisted heretical hands!! So I can now enter the challenge! It'll be my first 'serious' conversion and greenstuff will have to be involved at some point which I'm worried about because it will also be my first time working with it. But, who cares? It's the perfect excuse to finally get around doing this:

I, Warpmiss, undertake the Warlords Challenge to build at least one Iron Warriors Daemon Prince by March 2nd 2018

The best bit of advice I can offer for GS is to not try and do everything at once. Work in layers, build up to the details. More blue with set harder and is good/better for hard/sharp edges, whereas more yellow gives a longer working time prior to curing. Leave at least 3-4 hrs between layers to allow them to set properly.

Oh, and clay shapers, they're great for working with GS.

Cheers,

Jono

The bits I was waiting for are finally in my twisted heretical hands!! So I can now enter the challenge! It'll be my first 'serious' conversion and greenstuff will have to be involved at some point which I'm worried about because it will also be my first time working with it.

If you have any questions about using greenstuff, I have some experience with it

If your greenstuff work is as tidy as your painting you will be fine. :tu: Its fun to leave your comfort zone and try something new now and again. 

Would a Keeper of Secrets count for this? I have just found some random bits in a box and I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

I, TURBULENCE, undertake the Warlords Challenge to build at least one adeptus customers shield captain by March 2nd 2018

I was hoping to do a terminator armored shield captain, but the bits I plan on using would never arrive in time. So standard shield captain it is

Hey Jono - 

I've gathered a bunch of pieces over several months for a captain that I've been meaning to bash together for some time... 

Apart from having some magnetised limbs, I was planning on leaving the head and possibly the cape pieces unattached for painting. 

Would ~80% assembled but painting sections blu-tacked be acceptable?

Btw - is that an aussie location I see?

The bits I was waiting for are finally in my twisted heretical hands!! So I can now enter the challenge! It'll be my first 'serious' conversion and greenstuff will have to be involved at some point which I'm worried about because it will also be my first time working with it.

If you have any questions about using greenstuff, I have some experience with it.

You wouldn't happen to have a tutorial on sculpting armor anywhere? I guess that be 'easy' and useful starting point for many of us. Also, possibly hair but that's bit easier with right tools.

Edited by Zhiv