Exalted sorcerers

Paladin777

So these have been touched on in a few posts, but I wanted to start a discussion on what these are good for. It seems like the most obvious unit to compare the exalted too seems to be the deamon prince, especially now that it has full casting rights, but I would like us to avoid that if possible and focus on the merits of the exalted on its own.

I’ll start: if you want a hero-hunter, you definitely have far worse choices than the seers bane exalted with deamonic strength. With deamonic strength he hits like a Mack truck at a whopping str 12 at -3 AP 1d3D against Ld 9 targets. I think the deception factor here is real. Everybody expects a demon prince to hit hard and will understandably try to put it down, nobody Who hasn’t faced it will expect and exalted sorcerer to fairly easily put down a space marine captain.

The list of leadership 9+ targets also includes: land raiders, storm ravens, repulsors, knights, girlyman...

Edited by Paladin777

I'm not going to lie... it's hard for me to be on that exalted train vs. named HQ's or the DP.

I have 3 painted, and 2 more Wips. I was really hoping for a better outcome.

The only thing I can think of is they are cheaper, and can sit in a transport. That's it. Even when I think of a Supreme command detachment, it will always be 3 DP's. Perhaps the idea of a cheap filler in a command detachment? Really I have no idea.

I do like the theme of it though... always have liked the cabal feel/look.

Price point does appear to be their major advantage. They can also exploit LOS blockage easier. I can see a lot of ways to hide them if you spam tanks.

Having one stand behind three Preds and hand out buffs while acting as a goalkeeper if they get charged isn't a bad idea, depending on how their loadout options actually look when we see them for real.

So for some frame of reference, the points difference here is depending on target your going for.  Lets take a look at the HQ's. 

The budget-sorcerer is 98 points with gear. 2 casts, overall basic stats for a "character" keyword model, 4 wounds, no innate invul save. 

The Exalted on foot is 121 with inferno pistol/stave, 124 with power sword (Seers bane being the primary excuse for this upgrade over the included staff) or 127 with either plasma or warpflame pistols. 5 wounds, 4 attacks, ws/bs 2+, standard 3+ with a 5++ invul save. and the Aura (biggest factor obviously) same casting potential as budget sorcerer, but is far more capable in combat, extra wound to suck a peril with, and of course the Aura of RR'1s. 

The on-disc variant is 20 points more, coming in base at 141, and 144 with sword (again seers bane here), and 147 for either of the other pistols. gaining both daemon keyword, a single extra str 4 attack FWIW, and movement 12. (both daemon keyword and fly/move 12 means a fair bit for us) 

A daemon prince is 150 on foot, our prince has the same casting potential as an exalted, but has a 4++ innate, and an extra spell.  However they are 180 with wings.  

Most of the time when i see people talk about princes, *almost* unanimously its a prince with wings. so most of the time when I look at a cross-comparison I do so keeping in mind that My prince, and most other players have princes with wings. So the baseline is a 60 point difference between a winged prince and a foot exalted, of course the winged prince has more combat potential, but he pays for it. 

So as a general rule of thumb Exalted ARE in fact actually pretty good, the thing is daemon princes in the Thousand Sons list are seriously undercosted, almost to the point of being overpowered a lot for what you are getting, great combat, great stats, great casting and access to the daemon tzeentch lore without spending a CP for the strategem. However, the prince is anywhere from 40-60 points MORE then an exalted. This needs to be kept in mind with points in games, especially those south of 1500 points. if its 1500 or less, it may be better to take an Exalted for aura and casting and then use the excess elsewhere on other units. 

Exalted are good overall for their casting, and decent in combat!  Along with the aura-buff, princes do something similar with better stats but are far more expensive.  So there's definitely precedent for it. One of my lists i am working on is an Exalted list with 3, one on foot, and 2 on disc.  The disc exalted sling shot around the board ready for combat or offensive casting.  The foot exalted sits with the daemon engines and tanks for his RR1's aura and create a firebase, he can sling some buffs and such out or farm boon. 

Their overall price difference with an on foot exalted is only 23 point difference, and in my opinion +1 attack, +1 wound +1 ws/bs, and an Innate invulnerable save, as well as the very much needed "RR1's aura" is definitely worth 23 points over our budget offerings. I quite like exalted, now I dont feel like im handicapping my list when I take several exalted as opposed to the indexs all but required "ahriman + prince" standard. 

Dont get me wrong; both are great, but I if i take a couple Exalted, or even a few exalted I feel like I am getting my points worth.  This is a preliminary analysis but Ill go more in depth later. 

To quote FLG, if it's broken expect a nerf. DP of this level may end up nerfed.

Exalted are a pretty safe bet at their values. I didn't think they could get a warpflame pistol though? That pistol is super awesome. Seer's Bane + d6 auto-hits at -2 rend would be pretty solid.

unfortunately at the moment the sword REPLACES the gun. NOT the stave. RAW at least. 

(Seers bane is a sword specifically) so we can take the gear option for force-swords from the index, and use the exalted profiles from the book then its possible. 

But I agree thats a great combo if we use the index gear options. 

The exalted sorcerer's biggest problem is two fold, they are not Ahriman or a demon prince both generally considered point for point superior to the exalted sorcerer. So in a battalion when you are taking 2 HQ choices there isn't room for the exalted.

They could improve exalted sorcerers in two ways to make them more competitive, and that is give them the same choices as a sorcerer. Access to terminator armor/wings which the box has a wing option and a scarab occult terminator can reasonably make that model as well. Second is the similar for +1 to cast on the first spell. Then they could function more tactically or as a budget Ahriman.

In fact I might bring that up to GW myself.

Seer's Bane and/or recipient for multiple Boon's is the only reasons why I'd field a Exalted over Ahriman/Daemon Princes.

It's very strange (and sad) that Terminator Sorcerers can take familiars but Exalted Sorcerers can't. Doesn't make any sense.

I would love to see a bonus to casting for exalts. As they stand now, they cast the same as aspiring sorcerors. Would like to see a little more ooomph from being a thousand sons sorceror and being exalted. Especially when compared to farseers. Give them those familiars! Or at least an ability like: roll 3d6 and pick two for first psychic test eaxh turn. Or re-roll a single dice.