Exalted sorcerers

Paladin777

I took Ahriman on disc.

Exalted on disc, he was warlord 

Terminator sorcerer (familiar) 

6 enlightened

Mutalith beast

Defiler

2 units of rubrics at 10 strong in rhinos (reaper in each) 

10 man cultist unit

I only had 6 CP, but I found I really didnt even need it. The helm of the third eye paid for itself. 

I got first turn, defiler and enlightened plugged one of his walkers (auto wounds are pretty great even though they only got one round of shots)

The Cuelexus zoned out my casters, caused me to fail a couple times.  

I did get some lucky rolls, I also got one incredibly well timed Perils that caused an explosion, My exalted died...but it killed Cawl in the process. 

The Mutalith was still above half health at the end of the game, I made quite a few 5++ saves this game for the record. His Kastellans and Tazer-Chickens were definitely dangerous and I had to focus them down, I had a squad of rubrics hit 2 of the chicken tazers to death after pelting the unit with Inferno shells. (Aspiring Sorcerer FTW!!! dealt 6 wounds in one turn with his stave) 

Ahriman death-hexes the kastellans, one 10 man unit of rubrics double taps, Vets of the Long War, Prescience is active.....kills one and a half kastellans. Not to shabby, the remaining 2 then activate and obliterate the rubric unit..... I dark-matter crystal the other unit across the table and pull this same trick again and destroy another kastellan. 

The helm of the third eye is a "take this. period" item. It paid for itself 3 times over. I think I made 4 rolls, the guy had 9 command points start of the game, I got more then 3 back. 

Overall- I was actually able to beat a competent ad-mech army....with my Thousand Sons....Thats a first I am quite proud of! 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

Im all for it actually. Probability is probability. Though I understand the "go big or go home" aspect. Folks want a return on points and/ or reliability when we take an action, unit etc.

I was really hoping for a boon of change type that effected 1000 sons infantry. I would take any of those 3 effects on my SOTs easy or goats. But i also thought the effects lasted all game and could combine with the other as the game progressed so not as good as i originally thought.

The mutation table for 1000 sons seems much more random though I will likley take it in matched play due to my psycher count. Gotta get something good at some point 9" range and all. WC7 might be a tad steep for randomness.

Our table may be a tad more random, but with the ability to get it via spell and without CP-its far more accessible, not to mention some of our unique results are far superior.

Could anyone with the codex in hands confirm that exalted sorcerers have the option to take plasma pistols?

It just seems weird to me, because there's none in their box and GW's logic for 8th edition codexes seem to be that only the stuff that's in the box gets rules (the reason why codex aspiring sorcerer's can't have swords nor axes).

Did another game last night, as of now I have only used Ahriman twice, the rest of the time exalted all the way. :wink:

Game was against Khorne Marines. World Eaters.

30 cultists

10 zerkers in rhino

10 zerkers in land raider

Large terminator squad with mix of plasma/melta combis. 

Chaos Lord with them deepstriking

Daemon prince with collar of khorne.

3 Helbrutes. (two with duel fists, one with tendril arms and reaper cannon)

Warpsmith with combi-plasma Behind the dreads/land raider.

My list against him

Ahriman

Exalted on foot (helm of third eye)

Exalted on foot (dark matter crystal) 

20 man unit of rubrics with 4 warp flamers and 2 soul reapers, and warpflame pistol

10 man Rubric, soul reaper, stave/pistol aspiring

10 man Rubric, Soul reaper, Stave/pistol aspiring

Mutalith

Forgefiend (no plasma face)

Defiler (havoc launcher, twin heavy bolter)

Maulerfiend (Lash tenderils)

The 20 man rubrics unit in webway infiltration

Other two ten mans anchor the line in front of the daemon engines.

I won the roll off for first turn 

Forgefiend with a combo of prescience, flickering fire (gained through strategem on the dark matter exalted), and Exalted re rolls nearby causes the forgefiend to grind the rhino up with its cannons, hitting with all, wounding on 2's, he fails 4 of his 7 saves almost plugging it immedaitely, defiler cannon shells to finish it off. 2 of the zerkers die in the wreckage. 

The mutalith didnt actually help very much this game directly but it did force him to rethink his strategy because it was directly behind the rubrics. adjacent to the forge fiend. 

His las cannons open up and nail the forgefiend for 10 of its wounds, he drops the termies and they bring the defiler down to half health with their shots, I made a good number of invul saves on the defiler, literally the only reason it lived Is that I saved 2 of 3 melta saves. 

I held back the rubric drop of 20 man for the first turn, hes playing world eaters....he did exactly what youd expect, ran straight toward me (Although he was playing to objectives which he claimed several of, he just happened to draw the stuff he was nearby to) hiding the surviving zerkers on foot behind the land raider, the prince was behind one of the helbrutes, I didnt have the firepower to focus down the brutes AND the land raider, so I focused the land raider bringing it to 3 wounds left after everything had shot at it, the Defiler while scuttling away happen to get an incredibly lucky shot and deal 5 damage to the land raider. 

Exalted toss buffs everywhere, following the rubric drop which focuses in on the reaper helbrute and the daemon prince (With cultists nearby), I get warptime off and move them into flamer range, the ones that are closest to the daemon prince barbecue the prince down to 2 wounds (a dozen inferno shells, and 3  warpflamers will do that! the rest of the unit fires into the nearby helbrute bringing it down to 3 wounds, Vets of the Long War once again shows itself to be a strategem that can make units ludicrously dangerous. 

The maulerfiend gets off a long charge and is able to knock the 2 remaining wounds off the prince, but before doing so Ahriman is denied a spell and gets an automatic perils due to the collar, taking THREE wounds, hes down to 2. ouch! 

On his turn the zerker finally make contact with the rubrics in front, not quite butchering the front squad but bringing them from 10 down to 5, I took the risk on the morale roll and got a lucky 2. no losses there from morale.

The reaper dreadnought with the flail/scourge charged with the cultists into the 20 man blob, the dreandought is brought down to ONE wound in the overwatch. (flubbed alot of wounding rolls with the warp flamers)  The cultists make it in and after swings 5 rubrics are dead. 

Funny enough our little scrub spell is what I often put on extra rubric sorcerers, the sad little "tzeentchs firestorm" however in this case; One of the rubric sorcerers in my deployment zone casts it on the dreadnought near the big squad and rolls THREE 6's, dealing 3 mortals killing the dreadnought that was rampaging into my 20 man blob, even though it only had one wound left....It was a moral victory for our lowly Aspiring!!!

As you can probably guess I used Dark Matter Crystal on what was left of the 20 man, re-deepstriked near the cutlists, killed the cultists and put some wounds on a helbrute slightly further away. 

Overall I did end up winning this game, the player is relatively new but hes competent, I got some incredibly lucky rolls with my daemon engines, and the buff spam such as Glamour, Weaver, and Prescience make all the difference in the world in our lists. 

Id like to think that this list would do fairly well against a large number of targets and army builds, but we shall see!!!

Edit for list mistake! 

After my last game i used a Sorcerer in terminator armor and exalted. I enjoyed both. Though I already had Ahriman and a demon prince.

I certainly think they are more worth it now, but that's still after my starters are on the list and i need to fill more HQ slots.

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc with Diabolic Strength and Warptime is a pretty good way to execute an Imperial Knight (combined with some lascannon and targeting mortal wound spells, of course. It works. I SEENT IT.

As we've already discussed, 5 attacks that are wounding on 3s if the power goes off. You will likely get additional attacks (Prescience makes it even better). Pop VotLW to make it wound on 2s. 

Best part of it all is you dont have to commit to taking the relic or the psychic powers on the exalted until before you begin the game.

Edited by Archaeinox

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc with Diabolic Strength and Warptime is a pretty good way to execute an Imperial Knight (combined with some lascannon and targeting mortal wound spells, of course. It works. I SEENT IT.

As we've already discussed, 5 attacks that are wounding on 3s if the power goes off. You will likely get additional attacks (Prescience makes it even better). Pop VotLW to make it wound on 2s. 

Best part of it all is you dont have to commit to taking the relic or the psychic powers on the exalted until before you begin the game.

Sounds like a BA Captain light. :D

I expect Death to the False Emp comes into play against the Knight also.

Has someone tried an Exalted with Seers Bane and spamming Boon of Mutation on him? 

My issue with this combo is that you need your Exalted to footslog in order to cast BoM on him, while an Exalted with Seer's Bane screams for a Disc so he can chase after the proper targets. 

I'll probably spamm BoM (assuming I have the power at all) on my Terminator Sorcerer. He'll be close to the enemy line and if you manage to get the +1 to cast boon (and assuming he's your warlord for another +1) then he has +3 to cast on one of his powers. Suddenly Doombolt almost seems likely to go off. :p

Like most war gear and options it has its place and fans.

Was a big fan of it in 7th. I kitted a ES with a sword for my seers bane in 7th. The weapon description was pretty vague though use of the word slash made me go with the sword from the kit.

I started a thread on dakka a year ago and most seem to think it was a stave. 1 guy mentioned he pictured it as a pole arm. I thought it ironic that i made it a sword with the whole pen being mightier than the sword also that a space wizard could kick a dedicated cc unit or character butt with it.. Not as clever as thought i was as it was GW intent to specify a sword now in 8th, haha.

Helm seems to net extra CPs so seems worth it and useful on my ES to me though i understand its not for everyone.

Edited by Skerr

Was a big fan of it in 7th. I kitted a ES with a sword for my seers bane in 7th. The weapon description was pretty vague though use of the word slash made me go with the sword from the kit.

I started a thread on dakka a year ago and most seem to think it was a stave. 1 guy mentioned he pictured it as a pole arm. I thought it ironic that i made it a sword with the whole pen being mightier than the sword also that a space wizard could kick a dedicated cc unit or character butt with it.. Not as clever as thought i was as it was GW intent to specify a sword now in 8th, haha.

Helm seems to net extra CPs so seems worth it and useful on my ES to me though i understand its not for everyone.

Statistically spending 1 point for an extra relic (bringing 2) will almost always (assuming your opponent brings 4-6 CP) there is literally no reason to ever NOT take the helm, as you will *always* break even. 

There was a single game i played so far (4 thus far) where I did get just ONE cp back, but there were other games I pulled in 3-4 CP over a couple turns. 

CRAZY good!  I usually begin the game with 7, and subtract 1 for a relic, and 1 for a deepstrike Rubricae unit. so begin with 5 or 6 most of the time. 

Statistically spending 1 point for an extra relic (bringing 2) will almost always (assuming your opponent brings 4-6 CP) there is literally no reason to ever NOT take the helm, as you will *always* break even.

There was a single game i played so far (4 thus far) where I did get just ONE cp back, but there were other games I pulled in 3-4 CP over a couple turns.

CRAZY good! I usually begin the game with 7, and subtract 1 for a relic, and 1 for a deepstrike Rubricae unit. so begin with 5 or 6 most of the time.

Yeah such items are usually a nobrainer. At least if it's just the first extra relic. The decision whether to take it or not starts becoming more difficult when you already have two or three other relics you'd like to include before it.

Edited by sfPanzer

Seers bane just seems like a powerfist without the -1, don't really see the big deal on it considering we can use index options.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

"In the army without powerfists, the relic which acts like a good powerfist is good".