Exalted sorcerers

Paladin777

It's actually worse than a PF if you ask me since it works on a lot less targets.

I would agree if it was on a platform that's immobile or low-mobility like a basic marine character. 

Our guys a Sorcerer on a Disc (most of the time) and can buff themselves to ludicrous levels of damage output along with overall good combat stats. Adds up to  a "sum of more then its parts" I suppose. 

I agree that it’s a nice relic, even if it won’t earn the nerf bat for being OP. In effectiveness, it’s kind of like a poor man’s Hammer of Baal. On the plus side, the Wargear it replaces is available on the cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else think that an exalted with two swords plus an inferno pistol would be an excellent horde thinner? Combine with diabolic strength and gift of chaos for maximum carnage!

In the event of a more elite army, the 6 seers bane attacks seems rather Killy.

Edited by Paladin777

Does anyone else think that an exalted with two swords plus an inferno pistol would be an excellent horde thinner? And in the event of a more elite army, the 6 seers bane attacks seems rather killy!

That was my thought, but it would be Warpflame + Seers bane + sword, comes out to 147.  (IMHO must be on disc) so your ending with 6 attacks from seers bane, and another 1 from the disc + Diabloic strength for 6 quality attacks + disc attack.  7 attacks from a sorcerer, easy access and of course is a bloody sorcerer. Id take the bugger alongside a tzaangor horde or a sky-horde (full 8-9 man unit of enlightened with spears) 

that RR1's aura will come in quite handy, and if he happens to connect with (or.. get near) a Ld9 unit (hello strernguard!) or warlord/characters send him in like the murder-missile he is 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

How are you getting 8 attacks? 4 base +1 for two swords +1 for diabolic str = 6 quality attack’s and one for the disc making for 7 total.

Even so, use vets and you could probably wipe almost an entire MSU marine squad in one go if you include the pistol.

Edited by Paladin777

That "assassin" Exalted looks fun, but I struggle to see what he can bring to the table that our Daemon Prince doesn't already.

I really find it difficult to include Exalted in my lists these days. With the mandatory Prince, Ahriman and Terminator Sorcerer, the HQ slots are quite crowded.

A target that is almost as Killy for cheaper that doesn’t have as big a bullseye on his head...

If you don’t take a disc he gets the ability to ride in a transport and be targeted by boon of mutation.

Edited by Paladin777

That "assassin" Exalted looks fun, but I struggle to see what he can bring to the table that our Daemon Prince doesn't already.

I really find it difficult to include Exalted in my lists these days. With the mandatory Prince, Ahriman and Terminator Sorcerer, the HQ slots are quite crowded.

Cheaper. is the big one, lets assume (as 90% of people I know including myself) take a WINGED prince, sitting at 180.  

33 points cheaper for disc exalted with warp flamer pistol. 39 without. 

and on foot your looking at a 59 point difference for a foot sorcerer. 

Yes; I am aware not everyone takes wings, but literally everyone in my meta that I am currently aware of uses winged princes exclusively (LOTS of chaos players in my meta of all stripes, I have never seen a foot prince in 8th) 

So the trade off for the 33-59 point savings is a smaller physical footprint, doesnt benefit daemons from tzeentch (I dont use them so for me that doesn't matter), and not having access to the Daemon lore, which sucks but can be fixed by tossing out 1 CP for a swap, or honestly taking a prince AND a sword exalted. something I would do in games over 2k certainly.  (at that point your opponent has lots of viable targets for both) 

You already know I am a massive proponent of using Exalteds, I can see the debate for either or, but having a "budget" assassin option is never a bad choice, and I think that a sorcerer like that, combined with a diabloic strength and someone like Ahri or +1 to cast sorcerer tossing a Death Hex onto their target....he could theoretically mulch someone like Guilliman if he connects. 

So far my kill count is alot of characters, and he occasionally goes in to dig out a squad, i have also had him (with diabloic active) kill a (-3 wounds) contemptor dreadnought before it could swing, so I am perhaps in the minority but I really like what I have seen from him so far for what he brings points wise. less then 150 either way, drop the pistol and take him for 141, quite good for his points cost and of course he can anchor the line with RR1's until your ready to send him off in turn 2-3 like the missile he is. 

While a demon prince is basically autoinclude for me, i tend to bring 2 or 3 detachments so thats 4 HQ slots I have to fill. Regardless the assassin exalted is cheaper, can have a plasma pistol, can ride in a transport, cyou can target with boon of mutation too

An Exalted might be 30-40 points cheaper, but keep in mind that he also has less Strength, Toughness Attacks (with the Talons) and Wounds than a Daemon Prince. Sure you can give the Exalted the Seer's Bane so that it against a good amount of enemies has more Strength than a Daemon Prince but that also costs a Relic slot and is only doable once per army.

The Exalted would have better AP and better max damage than the DP but the DP has reliable D2 .... or if you decide to take the sword, less attacks, same AP but D3.

I honestly think the Daemon Prince is worth the extra points but it's a much closer match than most other comparisons with a Daemon Prince so it's mostly up to personal preference and available points.

For me I think the biggest advantage of ginsu-cadabra is that he isn’t anywhere near as threatening as the DP. I had my DP focused on my last match and killed the top of turn one and I’m pretty sure an exalted would have been ignored until he proved to be a credible threat. Unless they’ve been on the receiving end before, most will probably see ‘librarian equivalent’ and figure ‘witchy, but not a powerhouse’. Even so, he does hurt, but he’s no captain smashy-pants (see blood angels forum) so he is still not likely to be as focused on.

The exalted really needs something to differentiate itself from other choices. It has the same amount of powers and ability to cast as a space marine librarian. Granted we have an aura, but they also have the hood. A farseer can easily ignore perils and has the ability to re-roll psy tests. I feel exalted, at the very least should have a bonus to casting. Otherwise I would rather have Ahriman, termi sorc, and a d. Prince.

Depends I guess. If you tell people that your psyker guy has two swords or even a sword and a relic sword, plus the means to get where he wants via disc, they'll figure out fast enough that he isn't just any plain old sorcerer who wants to hide behind other units.

A farseer can jump on a bike as well and shoot. But its not so much about the effective close combat ability, which is still nice, but more about how the powers are cast compared to other units. In which case exalted don't feel very exalted. Some of the higher end powers have such a high casting value that it feels they are limited to magnus and ahriman. Just saying that exalted should have something to help get reliable casting for those powers. Edited by Ahzek451

A farseer can jump on a bike as well and shoot. But its not so much about the effective close combat ability, which is still nice, but more about how the powers are cast compared to other units. In which case exalted don't feel very exalted. Some of the higher end powers have such a high casting value that it feels they are limited to magnus and ahriman. Just saying that exalted should have something to help get reliable casting for those powers.

To combat this heres what i do in some lists: 

Ahriman

Sorcerer in termie with familiar

and Exalted as warlord. High magister +1 to cast.

All 3 hq's have +1 to cast, if i need a fourth HQ I would usually toss in a seers-bane solid +1 on most casters in the list, and of course re-rolls and cabal strategem. 

That is plausible, but in that case i would prefer ahriman with his 3++, and a prince over the exalted. I can see not using a prince if I decided to use daemons as allies for a herald for a single re-roll. But i prefer not to rely on strategems like cabal since it so situational and the points can disapear quickly. Especially with vets of the long war and webway available. I would much prefer an inherent ability that can be used at least once every psy phase, such as: once per psy phase, ahriman and any exalted sorceror can roll 3d6 and pick two dice for a psy test.

I had a recent experience with ahriman using boon on foot and its pretty easy between turn 1-3 to be able to pick +1 to cast. Another option.

Edited by Ahzek451

When using a ES to babysit a gun line with a demon engine/ disco pred or 2 maybe an Aegis defence line with ES on the big gun to protect an objective, if I want to cast a demonic ritual, with pact strat, to summon a 10 man unit of pinks with full split capability as a screen to potential chargers do I need to roll 4d6 and just meet the requirement power level for the 10 pinks? I know I have to have the points in reserve. Edited by Skerr

What a sentence. :ermm:

If I understand you correctly you're asking whether you can summon a unit with less Power level than you rolled with your summoning dice, right? Then the answer is a 'yes you can do that' since the summoning rule says "equal or less than the total result".