Exalted sorcerers

Paladin777

Had a game last night at 1500

HQ termie sorcerer familiar/sword 

Exalted on disc seers bane with duel sword load out
Exalted on disc stave/pistol helm of third eye (Magister warlord trait +1 to cast)

20 rubrics (two units of 10) in rhinos, 1 warp flamer and soul reaper in each unit.
20 cultists
helbrute plasma/missile 

6 enlightened with bows
Tzaangor shaman

1 chaos spawn

1 chaos spawn.

1500 point list. 

My opponent was using ultras, 20 snipers (2 units of 10) 

Chapter master

Lieutenant

Banner of "shoot if killed" 

and Hellblaster unit 10 man squad

2 squads of 5 intercessors. 

3 units of inceptors, 3 with plasma guns, and 6 with "assault bolters" all in deepstrike

His list is mean, we are playing tactical objectives. I draw poorly and dont get much worth while.  However; First turn goes to me, fly up the table with most of what i have on discs and rhinos and spawn being relatively fast the army moves fairly quickly up the board. First cast of the game goes to my shaman...immediately perils on a 12 bringing him down to 1 wound...good start......

The bows shoot and then charge a unit of intercessors, the intercessors are brought down to one model.  Both rhinos go full distance and pop smoke. 

I didnt do much first turn, and I dont score any of my objectives. next turn he retreats the one intercessor, and the 10 hellblasters (losing 1 of their number) annihilate the enlightened squad; talk about overkil!!! 

The intercessors drop and due to my poor placement have shots at my Shaman and my Seers bane exalted.... bad placement on my part, he kills both easily, and then fires one intercessor unit into a chaos spawn killing one of the two, snipers plinked away at the rhinos since everything else that was viable was out of range. 

So that turn he killed my enlightened, my shaman, one of my chaos spawn, and my exalted sorcerer.....not a great start for the sons. 

Next turn I move up the rubrics, the second exalted (warlord) with all 20 cultists move up into charge/double tap range against the Inceptors which are fairly jumbled  together.  I move up the rubrics out of the rhinos into double tap range of the hellblasters....however there is still....that flag......  So I use spell familiar and swap my buff spells to damage spells. and the landing Terminator Sorcerer with the Rubrics for more dakka and casting. 

Thanks to the thousand sons +6 inch range buff I can cast prescience from my exalted warlord onto the rubrics about to plug the hellblasters off the table. one of the two squads is buffed with prescience, the other is stag but still....inferno weapons FTW. 

The issue is...he still has that flag (you know the one...the relic one...)....so during the casting phase I target the flag bearer with Tzeentchs Firestorm...I roll THREE 6's, bringing him down to 2 wounds remaining, then I toss an infernal gaze on him from the terminator sorcerer...dealing another 2 wounds killing the flag bearer meaning that when you kill the hellblasters they cannot fire back....fantastic!   He looks me dead in the eye and says "everyone ignores the flag carrier....no ones ever targeted him before..." 

Shooting time.....Prescience rubrics, with liberal use of VOTLW and non-prescienced rubrics open up on the hellblaster squad.....bringing the 9 man unit down to 2 remaining models, even without nearby exalted re rolls (since he plugged the exalted with seers bane)  And this was IN cover.  Inferno weapons; Gotta love em. 

the cultists and exalted warlord open up on the intercessors, and to my shock the cultists with some RR1's help from the Exalted actually are able to kill THREE intercessors, the exalted fires dealing a single wound with his inferno-pistol, then the entire blob charges. the cultists are able to kill another in combat, and the exalted kills one more.  his 9 intercessors come down to 1 plasma, and 3 heavy bolter intercessors remaining. Not terrible for cultists. Hilarious final point; He FAILS his morale check with the hellblasters.....re rolls it...and gets a 6. the remaining hellblasters run off the table! 

His turn rolls around, he opens fire with the snipers, ALL 20 fire at my terminator sorcerer.......and through a miracle he lives. with a SINGLE wound left. Could not believe it.  To clarify; this is with chapter master re-rolls AND lieutenant re-rolls....

That turn he retreats the inceptors and fires at the cultists killing 8. he puts a couple wounds on a rhino, brings the termie sorcerer to 1 wound remaining. and his chapter master and lieutenant charge my rubric squad killing 8 of the 10. at the end of that turn the one rubric squad fails morale badly and runs off the table as well (WHY?!?!) 

At that point we had to call it as he had an appointment 30 minutes later, but it was a tie game via objective points as my next round of cards was far better and I scored some from the first turn. I was assuming he would just rofl-stomp me off the table with alist like that, and first turn I made some very bad mistakes (sling-shotting the discs up the table...I keep forgetting our BOWS have a 24 inch range lol

It was a rough game, but the fact that i was able to even it out...using rubrics and Cultists no less, against what many would consider a "competetive" army really speaks to the strengths of the list.  

---- This was a bad example of Exalted use, as snipers give any "character" model a bad day....especially ones with huge hats.... 

Nice read ! Too bad that you're Seerbane assassin died so fast indeed. Against Ultramarines he would have had a great time since they're +1 Ld across the board.

It was a rough game, but the fact that i was able to even it out...using rubrics and Cultists no less, against what many would consider a "competetive" army really speaks to the strengths of the list.  

I wouldn't really call it competitive, but it's always nice to beat a list that's almost tailored to kick our asses. ^^

Nice read ! Too bad that you're Seerbane assassin died so fast indeed. Against Ultramarines he would have had a great time since they're +1 Ld across the board.

I wouldn't really call it competitive, but it's always nice to beat a list that's almost tailored to kick our asses. ^^

Why are snipers + Hellblasters + chapter master +  Lieutenant not competitive?  Isnt sniper spam + Chapter master or Guilliman the standard for competitive within most marine lists? I have seen alot of marine lists using that as the basis for competition. 

Footslogging Primaris Marines are bottom tier in 8th. Inceptors (especially with Assault Bolters) are never seen in competition and as far as I know, scouts are usually taken bare naked in units of 5 just to fill up Bataillons and deny Deepstrike.

Footslogging Primaris Marines are bottom tier in 8th. Inceptors (especially with Assault Bolters) are never seen in competition and as far as I know, scouts are usually taken bare naked in units of 5 just to fill up Bataillons and deny Deepstrike.

Plasma Inceptors are now seen after their price drop, especially in Dark Angels armies with Weapons of the Dark Age. Hellblasters are still used frequently in castles with either Azrael or Guilliman and the "shoot when I die" banner if available.

Scouts are often thrown out in 5's, as board control, yeah, but they can be used in larger units with Sniper Rifles if you're going character hunting and playing counter-meta to shut down enemy bonuses. That was probably an effect of your enemy tailoring a bit to face you.

Very odd; I see hellblasters all the time in both competitive and non-competitive lists. as well as scouts with sniper rifles. *lots* of them.  I was under the assumption that it was kind of a standard thing. Especially the hellblasters. 

Maybe its just a local meta-based thing. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

I think you see scouts for board control, but the Snipers are nice to target characters and attempt to stack mortal wounds. Not because they are super effective, they work in one roll and fill another nicely. We can effectively do the same thing with an allied Alpha legion or Renegades and Heretics for board control or Snipers.

I have yet to face Primaris, but outside of hellblasters on paper I'm not generally impressed.

Of course in your meta it can very.

Edited by Raven1

Sniper are generally considered as worst loadout for Scouts. Not sure if Guilliman changes anything there but I doubt it since Scouts are most effective if they're deployed all over the board anyway.

The Primaris units are good individually. Intercessors are really solid Troops, Inceptors have sick damage output for their cost in both variants and Hellblaster are good for obvious reasons. It's just that whole Primaris armies aren't that competetive.

Also at least for Ravenguard the Aggressors are a really good choice since they can deploy a huge unit in shooting range without having to move with them and while only S4 AP0 shooting, the mass is overwhelming for almost every target.

If anyone wants to discuss Primaris, there's a good place on the B&C for that - and it's not here.

fair enough!  My apologies for the thread-derailment. 

Back to Exalted.  Sadly the seers bane sorcerer didnt make combat that game, he was hit like a truck, I did tell my opponent what seers-bane did, and my list didnt have alot of space to hide a character, so thats why he was pegged so fast once my opponent heard what the exalted could do. 

It was a VERY fast list, which in the end benefited me, Rhinos really make the rubrics a cut above considering youve got a tough vehicle, with tough troops inside it. I toss in warpflamers once in a while, as after you ditch the rhino usually your within 8, but sadly due to the "reaper 1 in 10" rule, the only way to reliably get an Exalted up with them is to have them following the rhino on Disc. (annoying)  Anyone else have this issue? 

If anyone wants to discuss Primaris, there's a good place on the B&C for that - and it's not here.

fair enough!  My apologies for the thread-derailment. 

Back to Exalted.  Sadly the seers bane sorcerer didnt make combat that game, he was hit like a truck, I did tell my opponent what seers-bane did, and my list didnt have alot of space to hide a character, so thats why he was pegged so fast once my opponent heard what the exalted could do. 

It was a VERY fast list, which in the end benefited me, Rhinos really make the rubrics a cut above considering youve got a tough vehicle, with tough troops inside it. I toss in warpflamers once in a while, as after you ditch the rhino usually your within 8, but sadly due to the "reaper 1 in 10" rule, the only way to reliably get an Exalted up with them is to have them following the rhino on Disc. (annoying)  Anyone else have this issue? 

If you want to spend a CP, just put the Exalted in the Webway and have him pop out to yell "Charlie Murphaaaaay!!!" and charge when they least expect it. Yes, Dave Chapelle reference. Fight me. :)