Trajann Valoris vs Lord Kaldor Draigo

Waking Dreamer

So yeah, while Draigo was fighting valiantly, he was clearly loosing the battle, and only had the slimmest chance of victory because he was passed down Mortarion's True Name (a very closely guarded GK secret). Actually, while in choosing Draigo to be the new SGM, and thereby claiming the Titan Sword and the secret of the True Name (as only the SGM was to ever posses the knowledge), he admitted to the other GMs as he prepared for battle, they would likely need to chose another SGM before the day was done...

MOrtarians True name....

Bob.

Just rolled up a best of 5, Draigo having Gate, and Hammerhand, although I think him having hammerhand in most normal games is unlikely as it has very little utility for him and he will always have Gate IMO. Valoris had access to the moment shackle.

Draigo won the roll off so got the first turn giving him an advantage over the 5 rounds. Obviously I played it that he did psychic, shooting and charged, no running away.

It was incredibly close and only one of the fights was settled in one round of attacks (Draigo took that one).

Valoris took it in the 5th, the second fight is very powerful as you can imagine. T5 is also huge making Draigo only wound on 3's if he doesn't cast hammerhand successfully.

Both total bosses.

Update, 2 best of 5's rolled up so far, Valoris has taken both in 5.

Further update, Valoris took the third round 5-0, but Draigo then pulled one back winning 4-1 and making it 3-1 to Valoris.

Wow so rolling it out Valoris took the vast majority in your experience. Even when Draigo was casting duel-buffing Sanctic powers.

Just rolled up a best of 5, Draigo having Gate, and Hammerhand, although I think him having hammerhand in most normal games is unlikely as it has very little utility for him and he will always have Gate IMO. Valoris had access to the moment shackle.

Draigo won the roll off so got the first turn giving him an advantage over the 5 rounds. Obviously I played it that he did psychic, shooting and charged, no running away.

It was incredibly close and only one of the fights was settled in one round of attacks (Draigo took that one).

Valoris took it in the 5th, the second fight is very powerful as you can imagine. T5 is also huge making Draigo only wound on 3's if he doesn't cast hammerhand successfully.

Both total bosses.

Update, 2 best of 5's rolled up so far, Valoris has taken both in 5.

Further update, Valoris took the third round 5-0, but Draigo then pulled one back winning 4-1 and making it 3-1 to Valoris.

Wow so rolling it out Valoris took the vast majority in your experience. Even when Draigo was casting duel-buffing Sanctic powers.

I had Draigo casting hammerhand and smite, although like I said before, would you ever run Draigo with hammerhand? I think in this duel purge soul is iffy due to TV's ld10. With the moment shackle, if TV can survive draigo's first phase, then he will usually take him down with the 2 fight phases. I'm digging Trajann Valoris, even if he is 250pts.

• 4 months later...

I had Draigo casting hammerhand and smite, although like I said before, would you ever run Draigo with hammerhand? I think in this duel purge soul is iffy due to TV's ld10. With the moment shackle, if TV can survive draigo's first phase, then he will usually take him down with the 2 fight phases. I'm digging Trajann Valoris, even if he is 250pts.

I recently watched a batrep on Winters SEO's channel where he was facing a mono-Custodes army. The Custodes player said when it comes to the Imperium, not including LoWs (aka Gulliman), Trajann Valoris was the most capable combat character on the tabletop....where Winter replied with Draigo probably being just under that. 

So it's not too shabby to have our Draigo being the no.3 kick-ass combatant in all of the Imperium! Only being surpassed by a Primarch and the Custodes' top-cheese!

@ Lord Caerolian

"canonical example of Custodes fighting against a powerfully psychic foe, the Thousand Sons, the Custodes, even without Sisterhood support, were incredibly powerful and kicked serious"

When did they have SoS support cut off?

As previously stated, 1v1 it's exceptionally close. Against other stuff they excel in different ways, flat three on the titan sword is amazing and I cannot understand why Valoris doesn't have flat 3 also. -4 on the titan sword means Draigo can murder entire marine squads without thinking about it and against daemons of course draigo is way out in front. Valoris does have that all important T5 rendering weight of bolter fire that much more inefficient. And his rerolling 1's to wound make him very efficient at getting all of his hits and wounds off. Tough choice in deed.

Archived