Models that have grown on you

Jareddm

I was looking back through a bunch of old threads about when models first came out, and it was pretty impressive to see some of the vitriol being thrown around.  I remember feeling the same way about many of those models and thinking, "Man those look incredibly stupid.  They'll never fit in MY 40k!"

But a few of them have grown on me.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of any of them, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone that still hated them, but I'd consider them a part of universe and could even see myself including them in a story when appropriate.  As an important note, I don't really play the TT, so any hatred around over-powered or over-costed doesn't come into it for me.

Stormraven Gunship:  This thing just looked awful to me at first.  But having seen one painted up in Executioners colors, coming out the front with their breacher shields up, and the Stormraven's guns throwing cover, was really a turning point for me.

Mutilators: The warping of their faces looked so silly to me.  It took changing out their faces with others, such as from the helbrute and genestealer cults to get them looking right for me, but now I think they fit right in with almost all chaos warbands.

Lord of Skulls: Man did I hate this thing!  It wasn't until I read the story Cold Blood, and started picturing it more like the old chaos titan images.  Grinding alongside endless waves of screaming daemons and cultists, rather than thinking about it as an isolated unit that couldn't bend over.

Riptide: I still don't like the Stormsurge!  But after seeing a Riptide painted up in the intended original Kel'shan colors and learning more about that particular Sept, it feels more appropriate for them to have battlesuits bigger than you'd find elsewhere among the Tau.

What are some models that people have had a change of heart on?  And why?  Did you learn something new about them or see one in action or in a particular color scheme that changed your mind?

Edited by Jareddm

When the current range of Skittari were released I really didn’t like them. A lot of my view of skittari was shaped by the Titanicus novel where they’re hulking, feral, tribal warriors. Augmetics, aggression and vat grown muscle is how they were described with no two being alike. I really liked that image of them and so when the skittari models came out and they looked nothing like that I didn’t like them.

Now though, they’ve really grown on me, I think they’re great models and really suit admech :)

I've never had models I hated (even the Dialogus model which is goody as all get out), but I have had ones I wasn't as excited about when I first saw them that I've grown a little more fond of:

Primaris - At first I wasn't really into these guys. Especially the Gravis armour. It looked less like they were Marines and more like they were something too new. But as I've learned about them more, and seen them in person I've opened up to them. Stuff like the Reivers have really helped sell them as a whole as well.

Centurions - The shuffling gait, the weapons mounted almost haphazardly on the back of the arms, and the drills didn't really do much for me. I didn't hate them, but I wasn't really seeing the point. Knowing that they were exosuits to go over power armour was a bit strange as well, but I've slowly grown more accepting of them. I think the conversions I've seen that use them as less mutated Mutilators and Obliterators have helped a lot.

Kastelan Robots - Don't know why but these guys didn't really jump out at me, and even now I'm tempted to muck with their heads a bit to see if I can tweak them a bit. The Forge World robots might be a big part of why they didn't really strike me as all that impressive, but as I've warmed up to the Ad Mech's atompunk style (and the fact that every model has at least like six glowing bits) they have definitely gone from something I couldn't quite parse as being part of the setting to being something I'm looking to build into my army.

Electro-priests - honestly when I saw the kits I wasn't excited. I mean bodies that are in two halves with limits on how they can be posed? And those heavy cables didn't add much to me either. That said, having a box in my hands and seeing how everything goes together I could feel the limitations and accept them more than I expected to. While I do wish there was more room for customization, I can definitely get behind the models more than I expected and I'm warming up to them.

Thunderwolves. Still not completely sold on them, but they have grown on me and I can kinda understand the appeal now. Just thought they looked incredibly dumb in what is after a a special forces unit of genetically engineered sci-fi troopers.

SM/CSM bikes! I have bunch now that I really like, though I remodeled mine. But it took me about a decade to even like the concept of marines on bikes in 40k! Always liked jetbikes through...

Primaris Aggressors are the most recent example of this for me. I immediately hated them, and still kind of do, but I also weirdly want more... I'm honestly not sure why. Same with Guilliman, I thought he looked cartoonish but even though I can't think of any reason to have one I keep considering buying it.

But the model I hated most when I first got into 40k back in 4th was dreadnoughts, which are now possibly my favorite. They formerly looked like dumpsters with legs to me but I think taking a few years off made me come at them with fresh eyes. I think I have 5 dreads right now and constantly want more. I don't even play my marines right now and I am very seriously considering buying a Redemptor just to have one.

I have to admit, Death Guard. I've played Space Marines going all the way back to Rogue Trader, and normally avoided Chaos.

This was very true with the older Death Guard and Nurgle as a lot of the aesthetics were things that made me queasy and I avoided them.

When Dark Imperium came out, I fell in love with the newer Aesthetics. There seem to be fewer triggers to my trypophobia now (other than the Gnarlmaw Tree).

The new fleshy Helbrute. I thought it was hideous when DV dropped. I just started building the multipart kit with Las & missile.

The Dark Vengeance Helbrute should have been a named character, but sadly the problem is, so many used it as a cheap stand-in. When you see so many models in the exact same pose, it really makes it less unique...

The multipart Helbrute kit is one of my favorites. Its a great model.

Sloppity Bilepiper for me, it was the one miniature from the recent Nurgle releases that I was not a fan of but they more I look at it the more I like it.

Not sure I have ever truly hated or got vitriolic about a new miniature though, that seems silly, as you can simply just ignore it for your own purposes. 

I always hoped TWC would grown on me but nope, still hate their tiny waists and the concept.

However the Repulsor has. I think without all the excess stuff tacked onto it such as the boxes it is so much better. Also blue does it no service, seen it painted red and black and it looks much nicer.

I'd say the Onager Dunecrawler. When I first saw it in the early pics I thought it looked like an Ork Battlewagon turret on tiny legs. I still kinda think that's what it resembles but the tiny legs bother me less than they used to.

I still can't give Centurions a pass though. I still imagine a large pile of them at the bottom of a staircase unable to stand up.

I'd say the Onager Dunecrawler. When I first saw it in the early pics I thought it looked like an Ork Battlewagon turret on tiny legs. I still kinda think that's what it resembles but the tiny legs bother me less than they used to.

I still can't give Centurions a pass though. I still imagine a large pile of them at the bottom of a staircase unable to stand up.

When I saw the Dunecrawler I was like "So THAT'S why a Defiler looks like it does".

I kind of want to use the cab section of a Dunecrawler to kitbash with an Ork Trukk (or maybe a Battlewagon might be a better fit) as a cab though.

Edited by Fulkes

The captain in gravis armor really irked me. I like almost everything in the primaris line (and voted the Primaris Chaplain as the best model released last year, its a dead sexy model), but the Gravis Captain almost looked out of place. After getting a considerable primaris force, I saw a good deal on a bits order for the gravis captain. after he arrived and I made some slight modifications to him (changed the position of the arm, cut the wrist and changed the direction of the sword being held and a few other things) to give him a little more character. And after doing that (because holding the sword straight up was an incredibly boring posture) the Gravis Captain really grew on me. I still think its one of the most boring Primaris models in the line, but doing some modifying to it can really make a difference.

Grown? I don´t know, but I loved the old Genestealer Broodlord, then it came out (I think some `stealer- "captain" guy is still not a bad idea) and sometimes just wish to own him, though I will very likely never play Nids! The passion has been growing ever since... :P

(Pic: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Broodlord_2.jpg )

I can't really think of anything that I disliked and then grew to accept or even like.

I guess my first impressions just kind of stick.

I will say that the conversions of the new Typhus where he is choking a poor guardsman completley change that model. But if you have to convert it, then it doesn't count right?

I don't think 'hate' is the right word but I remember seeing a Space Marine Dreadnought for the first time and just not getting it. I was only a boy and Sci-Fi to me at that age meant sleek, clean and efficient, pretty much the exact opposite of the Castraferrum pattern. Now, however its one of those classic models that sum up the 'feel' of 40k perfectly for me and of all the myriad of patterns we've had since it is still my favourite. 

I can remember when Centurions first came out. Everyone on the intetnet hated them and that in turn gave me a negative perspective on them. However I read the lore on them and I like it. That didnt still change my mind on them. It was only until I read their rules and bought a kit of them. It was only until I built them and starting painting them that I started to like the Centurion midel range. Centurions are so under rated IMHO.

The good ol' Castraferrum Dreadnought.

Back when I started 40k, the 'box-naut' was the only Dreadnought you could buy, and I hated the look of it. Over the years, though, it has grown on me, and I prefer it over the others that have been released more recently - and over many other 40k minis, too.  Looks-wise, it pretty much defines the Imperium to me - bulky, top-heavy, and inefficient, but at the same time solid and well-armed.

Edited by KhorneHunter57x