Models that have grown on you

Jareddm

Thunder Wolf cav and Grimnars pimp sled.

Plastic Daemon Prince.

Bloodthirster (still not a fan of the skipping legs).

I still hate the Primaris :cusse though.

Indomitus Terminators. For the longest time I couldn't bear the sight of them. Then it occured to me that my main problem with them was the Crux, which can just be removed in pre-heresy forces. I still have to come to terms with Mk7 Power Armour, but it's mainly the helmet. Using the "Templar" helm makes it acceptable to me.

I'd say pretty much any old-school (RT-era) Space Marine vehicle; Rh1n0s, the old Mk1 Land Raider, even old Speeders. Back in the day, I hated the models, but now, thanks to part nostalgia, part ForgeWorld's remakes, I really like them, and in some cases prefer the older models to the current ones...

Pretty much the entire Tau range. I always liked the models as models, but they didn't really fit 40K to my eyes. It wasn't until, of all things, the "Dark Crusade" expansion to the original DoW that they started making sense as a faction in setting.

Grown? I don´t know, but I loved the old Genestealer Broodlord, then it came out (I think some `stealer- "captain" guy is still not a bad idea) and sometimes just wish to own him, though I will very likely never play Nids! The passion has been growing ever since... :P

(Pic: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Broodlord_2.jpg )

My wife has one of those guys. The old metal version. It's the model that made her hate working with pewter. She held those scything talons on for a half hour each before the glue would hold.

For me it's Aggressors. Don't know why, but they just didn't grab me. Also the first unit I bought for the rules without being jazzed about the models.

Edited by Claws and Effect

The good ol' Castraferrum Dreadnought.

Back when I started 40k, the 'box-naut' was the only Dreadnought you could buy, and I hated the look of it. Over the years, though, it has grown on me, and I prefer it over the others that have been released more recently - and over many other 40k minis, too.  Looks-wise, it pretty much defines the Imperium to me - bulky, top-heavy, and inefficient, but at the same time solid and well-armed.

Angry Washing Machines are indeed the best washing machines.

Very recent example, Valdor. Really like him now I’ve seen proper pics, only the head I’ll change.

I feel the same with Dorn, I want to like him but that head is a hot mess. Nothing a crusader helm cant fix though. 

Very recent example, Valdor. Really like him now I’ve seen proper pics, only the head I’ll change.

I feel the same with Dorn, I want to like him but that head is a hot mess. Nothing a crusader helm cant fix though.

I wonder if one of the dreadnought helms would be the right scale?

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank: Didn't like her to start with but now I find her to be one of the better looking tanks around (for the record, I've had her since sixth and she's never performed as the internet expects).

Loved the look of the Primaris Marines when they came out, all of them except the flying dudes (Inceptors?) and the big fat dreadnaught.

I still hate the flying guys and will never get them (no matter how useful they'd be rules wise...) but that dreadnaught is looking better every time I see it. Yes it's got a big belly for some reason but there's something about it...

For me it was the Taurox. I fell to peer pressure, hating it for the odd design. Then I saw one on a facebook group painted up, quad tracks and all, and now it is my default Guard transport. It just looks better than the Chimera to me.

Oh...and the Land Speeder Vengeance. Pictures did not do it justice, no matter who took them. Had to see one in person Built it as standard (still isn't painted due to life getting in the way) but one game with it and I loved it. I was playing against a Sisters of Battle player who had never seen a LSV so was not aware that the plasma cannons were on a turret. He immobilized the LSV and stood a 20-girl squad within range and with no cover beside the speeder. The look on his face when I turned the turret...mwahahahahaha

I think it comes down to the initial reveal images for me. GW seem to have an odd ability to either use the wrong angle or paint scheme to sell a model. The Stormraven is the best example of this for me, it wasn't until I saw different angles that I changed my opinion. First impressions count of course and it can be hard to move on from them.

Great topic Brother Jareddm:thumbsup: 

At the top of my list is the Stormraven. When it first came out my reaction was... Are you kidding:blink.: :facepalm:?..... this thing would crash on take off!! Then I thought... calm down, it's just a fantasy/sci fi game model...... COME ON!!!!..... THIS THING WOULD CRASH ON TAKE OFF!!. You can put wings on a brick, and with powerful and well placed engines it could fly. You know, like a Thunderhawk.... or an F-4 Phantom II. The Stormraven would crash on take off.

Well... a few years past. I calmed down and now I have four of these little guys in various Space Marine armies. Its grown on me. Still..... this thing would crash on take off.

Great topic Brother Jareddm:thumbsup:

At the top of my list is the Stormraven. When it first came out my reaction was... Are you kidding:blink.: :facepalm:?..... this thing would crash on take off!! Then I thought... calm down, it's just a fantasy/sci fi game model...... COME ON!!!!..... THIS THING WOULD CRASH ON TAKE OFF!!. You can put wings on a brick, and with powerful and well placed engines it could fly. You know, like a Thunderhawk.... or an F-4 Phantom II. The Stormraven would crash on take off.

Well... a few years past. I calmed down and now I have four of these little guys in various Space Marine armies. Its grown on me. Still..... this thing would crash on take off.

Yes, but as long as you can crash on the enemy, the Emperor is happy! :teehee:

Anything with a power fist.

I hate the power fist. It's idiotic. One tiny hand, one massive hand. For chaos? That works. Asymmetry is their thing. But for Marines? Ugh.

And then there's Gulliman. I want to hate it. Hate hate hate. But that armor. So many modding options. So much custom potential. So many different things you can make out of that one model... And all gorgeous ideas. How can you hate something that can sustain such creativity?

Thunder wolves, I have grown more and more to like them. as.....

Fenrisian wolves.

I've also been toying with fenrisian wolf heads with putty on T wolves bodies and they look like the black library fenrisian wolf art

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank: Didn't like her to start with but now I find her to be one of the better looking tanks around (for the record, I've had her since sixth and she's never performed as the internet expects).

I will agree that the Sicaran's werent what I was expecting (they still fit as the missing link between the rhino and the land raider chassis). But I gotta say that the Sicaran Omega is dead sexy. The Venator doesnt look to bad either, but the Arcus, Punisher and basic Sicaran are ugly as all hell.

I have the Sicaran Omega, and I hope the plasma array gets a buff (seriously, it costs more points but is actually worse than just a standard 2 heavy plasma cannons is criminal, it should get at least 8 shots in normal fire and 4 shots in slow burn for the price and the shortened range) but regardless the Omega just looks and feels just right.

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

The Culexus assassin. When the 4 assassin types came out (yes, I'm old) I hated it. I called it things like "bobble head" and made jokes about neck strain. Now I really appreciate its surreal/absurdist Blanche and Giger inspired design.

To a lesser extent, the Eversor as well, which felt like a product of 90s comic book excess and rather strained the definition of "assassin." Now I think the Eversor is just kind of endearingly silly.

Non Grey Knight space marines. I totally hated the stupid huge pauldrons, bell bottom pants, and the plethora of skulls everywhere.

Also stuff like cloaks on power armor. The material would either have to be strong enough to withstand being stepped on or caught in some armor, and could potentially be used against them (like spikes and horns, weapons chained to a limb, overly ornate backpacks) or would be so weak as to be pointless :cussery.

I didn't like crisis suits either-they don't match the asthetic of the rest of the Tau army-but their effectiveness made me quickly not care about their blocky robot looks.

I'll never like the Tau not forgeworld fliers. GW seriously ganked that from a conversion project I'm certain I saw at ATT from back in the day, bashing a pihranna kit with a devilfish kit, the conversion looked way better.