Models that have grown on you

Jareddm

Primaris.

I realised the models are excellent, it's everything else about them - the lore, what they represent, etc - that I hate.

I like all the Primairs models in MkX power armour, and at first I wasn't a fan but later The Redemptor Dread genuinely grew on me.

But the rest of the range... The Reivers, The Agressors, The Interceptors, Gravis Armour, The.... ugh... Repulsor, they all look very bad.

More the fact that it's an option at all, I just find the design idea a little weird. Marines use bolt weaponry, their only other solid-shot weapons are shotguns for the scouts, auto-cannon, and assault cannon. Stub weaponry has always been shown as more low-tech, in a sense, but then again, perhaps now they'll actually give us a solid definition of what exactly the difference between auto-weapons and stub-weapons.

I love the Primaris except for the metapod/gravy armor guys. Primaris Marines are like GW took the things I liked conceptually about marines and down played the stuff I don't.

Isnt the profile for the stub guns the same as a heavy 3 bolter?

Edited by Trevak Dal

Great topic Brother Jareddm:thumbsup:

At the top of my list is the Stormraven. When it first came out my reaction was... Are you kidding:blink.::facepalm:?..... this thing would crash on take off!! Then I thought... calm down, it's just a fantasy/sci fi game model...... COME ON!!!!..... THIS THING WOULD CRASH ON TAKE OFF!!. You can put wings on a brick, and with powerful and well placed engines it could fly. You know, like a Thunderhawk.... or an F-4 Phantom II. The Stormraven would crash on take off.

Well... a few years past. I calmed down and now I have four of these little guys in various Space Marine armies. Its grown on me. Still..... this thing would crash on take off.

Unless you note that it has 4 hover jets that it uses for take off and landing. It's a VTOL vehicle, not a fixed wing aircraft. Fixed wing aircraft require runways, which are in short supply in war zones.

I've always operated on the assumption that the hover jets are used in forward travel to help keep the Stormraven in the air by effectively reducing the weight the wings have to lift.

Over all the years a lot of models didnt hit me as cool at first (or for years:)):

land raider model

the box dreadnought

the techmarine in servo harness

the "new" rhino

the storm raven (i still have converted mine a bit)

the swordwielding Sicarius

funnily i liked the primaris instantly

Edited by Chaplain Killmer

Most of the Black Templar models & upgrade sprue when they first got their own codex, I already had a full Black Templars army and just really did not like the new look but now years later, if I decided to re collect my first army then I would want to go full in on the medieval crusader style. 

If only the bits cooperated with the new kits.  You won't find a lot of legs that play nice with the tabards.  They were designed in the days of leaning-squat stances. :(

Still, chains, tabards and pointy things for the win :tu:

The Leviathan. Didn't care for it originally. Then I got one and it's grown on me a good deal.

I suspect the Deredeo will be much the same if I ever get one.

(Also: MkV armor, Tartaros terminators, Custodes, and probably a few things I'm forgetting.)

Edited by Soldier of Dorn

Great topic Brother Jareddm:thumbsup:

At the top of my list is the Stormraven. When it first came out my reaction was... Are you kidding:blink.::facepalm:?..... this thing would crash on take off!! Then I thought... calm down, it's just a fantasy/sci fi game model...... COME ON!!!!..... THIS THING WOULD CRASH ON TAKE OFF!!. You can put wings on a brick, and with powerful and well placed engines it could fly. You know, like a Thunderhawk.... or an F-4 Phantom II. The Stormraven would crash on take off.

Well... a few years past. I calmed down and now I have four of these little guys in various Space Marine armies. Its grown on me. Still..... this thing would crash on take off.

Unless you note that it has 4 hover jets that it uses for take off and landing. It's a VTOL vehicle, not a fixed wing aircraft. Fixed wing aircraft require runways, which are in short supply in war zones.

I've always operated on the assumption that the hover jets are used in forward travel to help keep the Stormraven in the air by effectively reducing the weight the wings have to lift.

I tried that approach at rationalizing it's design,but as soon as the main engines kick in (necessary for forward motion) it tumbles and crashes. Main engines must be at or near as possible to center of mass. Clearly it was designed after too many pints at Bugman's....... please don't make me hate the Stormraven all over again. I've spent too many years and too much money on therapy already:teehee: 

Intercessors and Hellblasters.

I'm still ambivalent-to-negative on the vast majority of the Primaris range, but I've come to find that I actually really like the guys who are essentially just scaled up Space Marines. They really are very nice models and it's hard to deny that they just feel right.

You don't like the Repulsor? It's just a Grav Raider, pretty classic design in truth.

I think this is actually the reason I dislike it. To me the Repulsor is basically just a Land Raider covered in "stuff" and as a result it reads as cluttered and messy simply because it doesn't fit with my schema for a Land Raider or Space Marine tank in general. The turret in particular is something I could buy as a questionable conversion rather than an actual GW release; I can't help but think it looks totally out of place or like something from another kit altogether.

I loathe the Interceptors, dislike the Redemptor, but the rest is pretty solid stuff. Actually, I'm rather neutral on the tank, too. Dunno what it is that irks me about it exactly, but there's something...wrong.

There are just too many weapons on it.

I loathe the Interceptors, dislike the Redemptor, but the rest is pretty solid stuff. Actually, I'm rather neutral on the tank, too. Dunno what it is that irks me about it exactly, but there's something...wrong.

There are just too many weapons on it.

Pft. There aren't too many guns, there are just not enough targets.