"Roughnecks" 3rd Cavalry Regiment

Lhorke The First

I'm glad to hear your first game was ebjoyable. Your army is coming along nicely.

I especially like your British Bren gun trooper, your Drean Forge Eisenkern troopers (my Tallarns also have an Eisenkern squad), and your counts-as sentinel.

Your counts-as sentinel would make a nice addition to my Ork army as a Deff Dread.

I'm glad to hear your first game was ebjoyable. Your army is coming along nicely.

I especially like your British Bren gun trooper, your Drean Forge Eisenkern troopers (my Tallarns also have an Eisenkern squad), and your counts-as sentinel.

Your counts-as sentinel would make a nice addition to my Ork army as a Deff Dread.

Appreciate the compliment Tallarn Commander! To be honest I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to use my eisenkern troopers, but after seeing how well they meshed aesthetically with your Tallarns I decided to bring them along. The Bren gun troopers are probably my favorite as well, I just wish I could find some appropriately sized BARs to serve as some heavy stubbers. The Bolt Action weapons are just too small for 40k.

Also that Dust Tactis light walker would look amazing in an Ork army. You can get DT stuff pretty cheap from miniature market's website, although they may not have the light walker, just the medium walkers.

Looks good. Your paint scheme sets up a very pleasing contrast and also sets up the helmets as a focal point.

How do you plan on weathering up your white greatcoats?

I've just started painting up my greatcoat orks. I'm giving them white greatvoats. I'm trying out various paint recipes, but I'm none too pleased with any of them yet.

Thanks for the feedback

Looks good. Your paint scheme sets up a very pleasing contrast and also sets up the helmets as a focal point.

How do you plan on weathering up your white greatcoats?

I've just started painting up my greatcoat orks. I'm giving them white greatvoats. I'm trying out various paint recipes, but I'm none too pleased with any of them yet.

Honestly I'm not sure. I'm currently looking around for some recipes. I'm used to painting power armor so I'm a bit out of my element with fabrics.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since I have posted, grad school has been crazy plus I've started a big-boy job so I've not had much spare time. I have, however, made a little bit of progress on my army.

Firstly, I ordered a Tamiya M3 Stuart tank and added some components to make it a count-as chimera with an autocannon. Its certainly not a stellar conversion, but it will look better with some paint slapped on it. I'll also use some green stuff to smooth the transition from the autocannon barrel to the turret.  Size wise, its actually on par with a gw chimera, just slightly narrower. The rubber tracks will go on after I have painted it.

IMG 3725

Added some Anvil parts to a Cadian command squad. I actually really like how they turned out. I will definitely be using more of them. 

Command Squad

Plasma vet

Plasma Veteran

Company Commander. Captain Speare

Company Commander

Color Sergeant

Banner Veteran

Sniper

Sniper

I wanted to try out the Orloc minis. They are cool, but I'm not sure if I will be using any more of them. I figure they will be drafted gangers that have survived several campaigns and are now veterans specializing in assault

Conscripted Gangers

ganger

ganger with autogun

Veteran Sergeant

ganger sergeant

I love heavy stubbers, I'm not sure why.

ganger heavy stubber

ganger with shotgun

gangers

I've also base coated the great coats and armor plates on one squad.

First Squad

First Squad

I've also gotten game against a Tau/Eldar force under my belt with my army. I'm happy to say that it went surprisingly well and the 3rd slugged their way to a win.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Anvil heads with the Orlocks look really rather nice.

Thanks Plasmablasts. I was pretty unsure about how they would turn out, but the more I look at them the more I like them. I'll probably do some more converting to try and get a more military than civilian aesthetic. I'm also pretty excited about the upcoming Van Saars models. I may incorporate some of those models as ranger (scion) squads.

Another update, I'm considering running my force as Tallarn. After playing a few games, I think this will fit my play style a bit better than Steel Legion. I'm looking forward to the vehicle benefits and using the ambush stratagem but I will miss the 18 inch rapid fire range.

I'm hoping to pick up some the Tallarn models and disperse them throughout my squads in order to get some cool variation and possibly give the appearance of advisers among the regiment.

• 1 month later...
Introducing the first two members of the NFR Rangers.

IMG 3773

Really like these models, though it is tougher to get the Anvil heads to fit. I may try to order more sci-fi looking heads other than the low-tech brodie helmets with gas masks.

Here are some more troopers made from Cadians and anvil bits.

IMG 3774

Won this command squad off of ebay for a very good price.

IMG 3775

Here is a shot of the van saar models next to won of my heretic astartes just to give y'all a size comparison.

IMG 3776

• 2 months later...

It has been a while. I've been working on some things for my World Eaters army between graduating, starting a new job, and moving so my guard army has not had much attention lately. That is about to change. . .

New tank

My latest acquisition is currently being stripped of paint, and I hope to be able to start painting it this week. I am very excited about this one because I have wanted a Macharius ever since I first saw the model a few years ago. In terms of paint scheme, I want to set this tank (and my future baneblade and shadowsword) apart from the Leman Russes and chimeras. I've always had an interest in warships, so I'm thinking about painting this and other heavy/superheavy tanks as tributes to some of my favorite ships. As a result, I will most likely use a mid-gray as the dominant color with white designation numbers. Collectively I'll refer to the squadron as "the Battlewagons."

I think the Macharius will be based on the USS Nashville (CL-43), a Brooklyn-class cruiser that participated in several engagements and fire-support missions in the Pacific theater during World War II. Either the Baneblade or the Stormhammer will be based on the USS Tennessee (BB-43), a battleship that was damaged in the attack on Pearl Harbor but was refitted and participated in several naval battles in the Pacific (I figured two Tennessee ships would make a good pair).

USS Nashville

USS NAshville

USS Tennessee

USS Tennessee BB43

Additionally, the navy repainted the Tennessee in a "dazzle" camouflage (I think that is what it is referred to as anyway, I'm no expert) during the war, which would be cool to replicate on one of the superheavies. 

BB 43 Camo

Excellent! The Emperor shall be please with your redoubled efforts!

Battleships are definitely how I view painting my Baneblades too!

My first one I used a dazzle inspired Cadian camo (was a commission so colours weren't my choice).

However when I get around to my current one (which will actually be mine) I am going back to the battleship motif. Ive also used that as the basis for my LRs too.

Our_baz does a good job of dazzle too :D

Excellent! The Emperor shall be please with your redoubled efforts!

Battleships are definitely how I view painting my Baneblades too!

My first one I used a dazzle inspired Cadian camo (was a commission so colours weren't my choice).

However when I get around to my current one (which will actually be mine) I am going back to the battleship motif. Ive also used that as the basis for my LRs too.

Our_baz does a good job of dazzle too :biggrin.:

I really like your paint scheme for your Leman Russ tanks. I look forward to seeing your baneblade painted up when you get around to it. I'll go ahead and ask for your opinion. Would you use gray and a dark blue for the dazzle camo? I have an old model of the Tennessee with that scheme and I have always liked it, but I question how it would look on a baneblade/shadowsword.

I really like your paint scheme for your Leman Russ tanks. I look forward to seeing your baneblade painted up when you get around to it. I'll go ahead and ask for your opinion. Would you use gray and a dark blue for the dazzle camo? I have an old model of the Tennessee with that scheme and I have always liked it, but I question how it would look on a baneblade/shadowsword.

If you have the right greys and blues I think it would work well!

Although I'm not sure if the GW palette would support it? You may have to use some Vallejo Model colours to achieve the right grey blue, you could possibly get away with some GW grey's for the base though.

Given you want to chase a specific scheme, you might already know what those colours are, or I'm sure theres a scale model forum that could find you what you need.

At a glance these could be close?

71.047 US Grey
71.049 Medium Sea G.rey
71.051 Barley Grey
71.054 Dark Grey Blue

I had to go through pretty much all the Vallejo US Navy plane grey set to find the one I like for my current LR's :ermm:

Looking forward to seeing your pattern though! Will you be following this (see below) or doing your own style? Best thing about dazzle its more about confusion and disrupting lines than it is about actually concealing! ;)

VH-USS+California-21.jpg?format=750w

Funny... that Army had not only the same issue with different manufacturers and hence possibly different regiments as my WIP-Army has... it also includes Eisenkern models as well!

Too bad that the cheap times with Dreamforge are gone now.

I like your approach with multiple states in your star nation - i never understood why each planet needs to be so homogenous with just ONE IG regiment.

I am doing something remotely similar :)

If you have the right greys and blues I think it would work well!

Although I'm not sure if the GW palette would support it? You may have to use some Vallejo Model colours to achieve the right grey blue, you could possibly get away with some GW grey's for the base though.

Given you want to chase a specific scheme, you might already know what those colours are, or I'm sure theres a scale model forum that could find you what you need.

At a glance these could be close?

71.047 US Grey
71.049 Medium Sea G.rey
71.051 Barley Grey
71.054 Dark Grey Blue

I had to go through pretty much all the Vallejo US Navy plane grey set to find the one I like for my current LR's :ermm:

Looking forward to seeing your pattern though! Will you be following this (see below) or doing your own style? Best thing about dazzle its more about confusion and disrupting lines than it is about actually concealing! :wink:

VH-USS+California-21.jpg?format=750w

Thanks for the color suggestions. Yeah I was initially thinking Mechanicus Standard Grey but that is much darker than what I am going for. I've never gone outside of the GW paints before, but that is just due to convenience. I am open to trying Vallejo, I've heard nothing but good things about them. The style I'm going for is very close to the one shown in that picture. It seems like with some care I could achieve that effect despite my rough skills. 

This is a very nifty project , super unique 

what year is your mustang? 

Appreciate it Lord Blackwood! To answer your question, it's a 2008. How did you know I had one? Was it the BAMA sticker in the background of some of the pictures? :biggrin.:

Funny... that Army had not only the same issue with different manufacturers and hence possibly different regiments as my WIP-Army has... it also includes Eisenkern models as well!

Too bad that the cheap times with Dreamforge are gone now.

I like your approach with multiple states in your star nation - i never understood why each planet needs to be so homogenous with just ONE IG regiment.

I am doing something remotely similar :smile.:

Thanks Nostromo! I agree, a planet should have the possibility of fielding several different styles of regiments. Plus this gives me an excuse to haphazardly buy whichever models I think look cool. I'm planning on incorporating my growing collection of Death Korps models into a platoon in this  regiment. They will be the remnants of a DKoK regiment that was destroyed while conducting a joint operation with the 3rd and was subsequently folded into the "Roughnecks." I'll have to see pics of your guard army sometime!

And yes, it is sad that we can no longer get cheap Eisenkern stormtroopers. I remember getting my first box of 20 for around $25.00. It seemed to good to be true.

Archived