Thinking about getting back into the hobby

Shu2jack

I played 40K many years ago, stopped, and now I'm thinking about getting back into the game. Of course, just to "buy in" with a small painted army is at least a couple hundred dollar investment. Not to mention the hours put into getting the models ready.

I've read some of the newer fluff. If I was to start an Ultramarine army, should I invest primarily in Primaris Space Marines? Is GW phasing out the old models? Can the Primaris models be used to represent tactical marines, or does that fall under WSIWIG?

Guilliman looks awesome - he is a selling point for me to start with Ultramarines. If I was to select a different chapter, or create my own, would I be able to use the figure/stats in competitive play or is he strictly a Ultramarine thing?

Lastly, my paint-fu is rusty. Is there a link to good paint/wash/etc. tutorials for 40K?

In all honesty, we don't have a definite answer about Primaris marines phasing out regular ones. GW says "no" but at the same time has presented fluff that seems geared towards ensuring that every chapter ever has Primaris marines, or has been replaced by Primaris marines in the cases where they were destroyed.

Guilliman is strictly Ultramarines and can only be taken in an Ultramarines detachment to benefit from his rules properly. I mean you still get his aura without it in an Imperial detachment, but he loses some of his Ultramarine specific bonuses and stratagems if you do that.

And WarhammerTV has a whole slew of painting videos (including daily tip vids) that I reference on the regular because I'm one of those nuts who only uses GW paints so it works well for me.

Since we don't know with certainty what's going to happen to regular Marines, I guess your safest bet would be to get Guilliman and Primaris and use them as Ultramarines. About the WYSIWYG issue, in the end it depends on who you play with, doesn't it? I certainly use several non-GW models and people are ok with that but I also try to have models that use the same base size as the original one. I think Primaris come in bigger bases than regular Marines but maybe you could make them fit?

As for painting, when I started painting and needed to review what my friend had taught me, I started watching the YouTube series: Miniature Painting 101.

Thanks for the replies guys!

About the WYSIWYG issue, in the end it depends on who you play with, doesn't it? I certainly use several non-GW models and people are ok with that but I also try to have models that use the same base size as the original one.

This is true. I'm more curious about if I was to go to a tournament at a Con or something. Is this a concern?

Thanks for the replies guys!

About the WYSIWYG issue, in the end it depends on who you play with, doesn't it? I certainly use several non-GW models and people are ok with that but I also try to have models that use the same base size as the original one.

This is true. I'm more curious about if I was to go to a tournament at a Con or something. Is this a concern?

Tournaments are usually WYSIWYG. Casual play it depends on your opponent.

@Shu2Jack: I've only just got back into Warhammer 40,000 gaming myself and it's been a thrilling ride already!

My biggest suggestion would be to buy the kits YOU like the most and build a project around them.

Next would be your tools of war. Rulebook, Codex etc. These will also inspire you and massage your imagination muscles!

WYSIWYG is tough....personally I'm not a fan of "loose" interpretations. A Storm Shield is a Storm Shield. ;)

Before you know it you'll be knee deep in sprues and the blood of the corpse emperors lackies :D

BCC

Guilliman and some Primaris marines would be a fun and easy army to collect.

You can focus on Primaris infantry (in my opinion the most accurate representation of Marines on the table, both in terms rules and visually) supported by regular Marine units like Predators, Stormtalons, etc.