Choosing Allies for the Adeptus Custodes

Hey all! Like a lot of Frater and Sorotis, I've recently started putting together a Adeptus Custodes army.  At the moment, the army's made up of three boxes of Custodian Guards, a box of Allarus Custodians, and Trajan Valoris.  While I do plan on expanding the army by picking up a Venerable Land Raider and another box of Allarus Custodians, I'm also debating whether I should add in an allied detachment.  I'm really trying to decide whether I want to add in either an Imperial Knight and a pair of Armigers or opt for a detachment of Space Marines instead. Looking forward to getting some feedback. 

Guard are obviously going to be the most efficient; you can get a Battalion for 180 points. A Krieg Battalion is 196, and you don't suffer morale for units lost in the Shooting phase (which is pretty worth it for the extra 16 points imo, only drawback is that you get only 2 orders vs 4 from normal IG). However, I've been considering AdMech myself, mostly because I love the models and you also get access to the Onager Dunecrawlers (Heavy D3 S10 AP-4 D6 with 1-2 being treated as 3 on a 3+ tank for 140 points is a steal), and their cheapest Battalion is 277 with Rangers, Dominus, and Enginseer. You can upgrade each squad to have 2 of the godlike sniper rifles they have and bring your total to 427 points. Outside of those, I don't think there are many armies that can give us the much-needed model count for shooting effectiveness. Primaris, while good, is still too expensive, as is Deathwatch, and Imperial Knights are rather less durable and more pricey this edition it seems. They're a massive Distraction Carnifex, and the most fluffy as they guard the Eternity Gate, but it's up to you.

Guard are obviously going to be the most efficient; you can get a Battalion for 180 points. A Krieg Battalion is 196, and you don't suffer morale for units lost in the Shooting phase (which is pretty worth it for the extra 16 points imo, only drawback is that you get only 2 orders vs 4 from normal IG). However, I've been considering AdMech myself, mostly because I love the models and you also get access to the Onager Dunecrawlers (Heavy D3 S10 AP-4 D6 with 1-2 being treated as 3 on a 3+ tank for 140 points is a steal), and their cheapest Battalion is 277 with Rangers, Dominus, and Enginseer. You can upgrade each squad to have 2 of the godlike sniper rifles they have and bring your total to 427 points. Outside of those, I don't think there are many armies that can give us the much-needed model count for shooting effectiveness. Primaris, while good, is still too expensive, as is Deathwatch, and Imperial Knights are rather less durable and more pricey this edition it seems. They're a massive Distraction Carnifex, and the most fluffy as they guard the Eternity Gate, but it's up to you.

The cheapest ad mech batallion would be with 2 Enginseers costing 199pts:)

I’d say use the knight. Marines are expensive enough and the knight will give you punch and anti-tank and if you can tack on some ad mech you’ll take some of the heat from your custodes.

I just picked up a Cerastus Lancer for this purpose. Only the most dedicated of gunlines has the firepower to take down the knight and damage the Custodes all at once. Ideally, whatever they can't being down will hit them like a comet. But we'll see.

I would say it depends if you know what you’re going to be facing most often. Knights are thematic and cool models but a single knight ally is likely to draw a lot of fire (which is maybe what you want) but I’ve seen individual knights wiped out in turn one before they even got to move against guard and SM gun lines. Knights are actually not that durable against massed firepower and it’s a lot of points to see go up in smoke before it’s really done anything. On the other hand some armies have a real problem dealing with knights so it may be worth it if you know you’ll be facing those quite regularly.

Overall Admech is probably more suitable as they have a lot of good Heavy support options which the Custodes lack, plus they can spread those points over several targets (unlike a knight) so it will be hard for your opponent to thin them out quickly.

What do people think of this Custodes list with a Knight Errant?

Custodes & Knight

Adeptus Custodes

Captain-General Trajann Valoris 250

Shield-Captain in Allarus Armor: castellan axe; misericordia; Obliteratum 148

3 Custodian Guard: 3 × guardian spear 156

3 Allarus Custodians: 3 × castellan axe 252

Vexilus Praetor in Allarus Armor: vexilla magnifica; misericordia 134

3 Vertus Praetors: hurricane bolter; 2 × salvo launcher 300

Allied Questor Imperialis

Knight Errant: thunderstrike gauntlet; meltagun 448

2,000 points

Power Rating 77

Best allies IMO will be AM. Cheap bodies and the best CP generation. With WL trait and relic, a cheap AM BN brings 3 CP and the chance to generate quite a bit more depending on your total cp as well as your opponents. (Usually it nets me around 8CP including the 3 for the BN.)

What do people think of this Custodes list with a Knight Errant?

Custodes & Knight

Adeptus Custodes

Allied Questor Imperialis

Knight Errant: thunderstrike gauntlet; meltagun 448

2,000 points

Power Rating 77

I might consider swapping out Valoris for a captain on a bike to help buff your other bikes. Plus the 90 points left over is enough for another dawneagle or terminator.

Just an idea though, it’s a personal thing but I think Valoris is quite expensive for what he does compared to the bike captain who can keep up with the bikes and can still get a 3++

Ok taking on board the potential vulnerability of having a single target in a Knight Errant, I’m looking at AM and a Culexus Assassins to fill Custodes weaknesses. Seems to me Scions offer better anti-armour within a Battalion than AM? What are others thinking of in AM Allies?

Custodes & MT

Adeptus Custodes

Allied Astra Militarum

Tempestor Prime: bolt pistol 41

Primaris Psyker 46

5 Tempestus Scions: Tempestor; 4 Tempestus Scions; 2 × meltagun 72

Ogryn Bodyguard: Bullgryn plate 60

Allied Officio Assassinorum

Culexus Assassin 85

2,000 points

Power Rating 83

Plasma guns are cheaper and about as good as melta's even against vehicles.

Plasma pistol for the sergeants in the scion squads.

Command Rod for the prime, orders are good, you want more.

Point cost for the scions also seems to be off. Check CA's updated point costs. Drop the Bodyguard to make it fit.

I'm using Scions aswell instead of normal guard. You pay more but their are imo worth it.

(Not a fan of Salvo launchers myself, 1 shot for so many points. Rather have all Hurricans to clear away chaff screens, kill tanks by hacking at them)

Oh and second the comment that Valoris doesn't seem worth it. Even when compared to just another Termi captain.

Ok taking on board the potential vulnerability of having a single target in a Knight Errant, I’m looking at AM and a Culexus Assassins to fill Custodes weaknesses. Seems to me Scions offer better anti-armour within a Battalion than AM? What are others thinking of in AM Allies?

Custodes & MT

Adeptus Custodes

Allied Astra Militarum

Tempestor Prime: bolt pistol 41

Primaris Psyker 46

Ogryn Bodyguard: Bullgryn plate 60

Allied Officio Assassinorum

Culexus Assassin 85

2,000 points

Power Rating 83

Scions are certainly very good but take a command squad if you can for four special weapons. And as others have said, plasma might be a better choice than melta.

One thing to consider about your guard detachment though is the ogryn bodyguard and to a lesser extent the psyker. If you’re running a scion force you really want to be taking advantage of their deep strike ability. The ogryn and the psyker can’t deep strike so they’d either be stranded a long way from your scions who have hopefully deployed in the enemy rear, or you would have to keep your scions close in deployment then footslog them. Now scions are a great deepstrike force but they will die to focused fire quickly. Foot slogging might therefore be a poor choice.

I would drop the ogryn and take another tempestor prime so you can then take two scion command squads.

Thanks for the great feedback. I’ll swap melta for plasma.

What would you have in the command squad another 4 plasma??

I wanted a Psyker as Custodes have none of their own.

Logic was I’ll have 3 Custodian Guard units that have to foot slog and likely at least one will hang back for back field objectives so the Psyker would stay close to them, with the bodyguard allowing the Custodian Guard some freedom not to have to babysit the Psyker all the time.

Yeah, Command squads are just more threat dense. However you want a battalion for CP's so you need 3 troops and you don't have points for a command squad without cutting Custodes so... it simply doesnt fit :tongue.:

Note that if you want to use the psyker to deny the witch he needs to be in range so he can't just hide at the back.

Edited by Deadnaughty

Ad Mech are good if you are focusing on the troops. Things like Breachers with Heavy Arc rifles can help out aganst vehicles too for relatively cheap and act as solid, tough screens for things.

Not to mention is hella fluffy; Web Way War style!

Also cheap Vanguard can help screen your Custodes, vomit out lots of shoots, and get their radiations on things engaged by the Custodes (help guardian spears wound MEQ on a 2+!).

Thanks for the great feedback. I’ll swap melta for plasma.

What would you have in the command squad another 4 plasma??

I wanted a Psyker as Custodes have none of their own.

Logic was I’ll have 3 Custodian Guard units that have to foot slog and likely at least one will hang back for back field objectives so the Psyker would stay close to them, with the bodyguard allowing the Custodian Guard some freedom not to have to babysit the Psyker all the time.

Plasma all the way for command squads, definitely :)

Yeah, as has been said, you wouldn’t get the command points of a battalion using command squads so it depends what you want. If you want the CP stick with normal scion squads, if you want them to max out on offensive potential go command squads.

Your psyker might also struggle as I think you’re possibly overestimating what he will achieve in a match. For a start there’s only one of him. This means only one deny the witch attempt per psychic phase, and he needs to be in range to deny it. Personally I’d question how useful a single deny the witch attempt will be in a game. If you’re facing a psyker Heavy army it won’t make a dent. The other thing is he can only cast powers That buff on your scions, not your Custodes which means he has to be near them.

Custodes have no psychic phase but a single Primaris psyker is not going to alter that much. I’d spend his point on either scion command squads or misericordia for your Custodes. If you want psyker support or deny the witch support you’ll need more than one unit. I know it doesn’t help now but I think when sisters of silence get more fleshed out rules, they will be your go to girls to plug the psychic weakness in Custodes. Even now they make great smite barriers if you position them well.

I'm not normally a giant fan of allies (unless there's a cool story behind it), but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on Sisters of Silence with Custodes for a sort of anti-psyker unit. Anyone tried it or have any thoughts? They're used to fighting together in fluff, and I have 10 still on sprue that may be a nice painting diversion.

Better to just bring Greyfax. She can also ride in a Custodes Landraider.

I considered a Mortis Contemptor with two Twin Lascannons as an Auxiliary slot to accompany the Custodes. Paint it Gold, it has BS 2+ to match the army and provides some ranged anti tank punch.