Choosing Allies for the Adeptus Custodes

I'm not normally a giant fan of allies (unless there's a cool story behind it), but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on Sisters of Silence with Custodes for a sort of anti-psyker unit. Anyone tried it or have any thoughts? They're used to fighting together in fluff, and I have 10 still on sprue that may be a nice painting diversion.

I used them with Custodes prior to the codex release (I was actually really surprised it wasn’t a talons codex with sisters included as they’re famous for fighting together). The -1 to cast is really useful if you can get it to stack. They also provide a good smite barrier. The downside though is positioning. It’s hard to position them so that you can take advantage of their abilities without also putting them in a position where they’re wiped out in a turn.

Since the codex dropped though I’m not sure how viable they are until they get their own codex or at least some expanded rules. The problem is that they can’t keep up with your bikes or your deep striking Terminators So positioning them to block smite becomes really difficult. You can use a rhino to move them up but then their power doesn’t work whilst they’re inside it so they’re kind of limited to supporting normal footslogging Custodes troops.

I’m really hoping they get some more rules. In my experience psykers only fear them for the stacking effect of their -1 to cast (which, unless you can stack it, isn’t going to hurt a lot of them too much given how easy some of the powers are to cast) they’re rarely a physical threat to most psykers due to positioning and fairly mediocre weapons.

What about a Psyker Inquisitor and and a Culexus Assassin to wipe out psykers?

After some feedback from others, I'm considering a Vanguard led by Greyfax, 3 squads of Prosecutors and 2 Culexus Assassins.  Not too expensive (costs the same as 9 unarmed Custodian Guards), and a woman psyker leading Null-Maidens has a cool visual element (and for all we know, those assassins might be women too underneath that synskin)...

Better to just bring Greyfax. She can also ride in a Custodes Landraider.

I hadn't even considered that - possible due to the "Authority of the Inquisition" ability, right?  Not that I think a Venerable Land Raider is worth the cost, but it might be a reason to use a Null-Maiden Rhino perhaps.

Guard would be the most points-efficient and effective way to bubble-wrap your Custodes, add anti-armour weapons and generate CP's, but then you'd just be yet another min-maxing competitive gamer. 

I'm not a fan of allies and soup armies in general, but If I found something (personally) acceptable, it'd be ADMech - as previously mentioned and influenced heavily by Master of Mankind novel and the war in the webway.

Adeptus Custodes, single-minded in their loyalty to the Emperor and uncaring of ally loses in the pursuit of victory - marching alongside lobotomised combat servitors and Skitarii enslaved to the will of Adeptus Mechanicus. 

The ancient union of Terra and Mars, ecetera, ecetera....

In addition, I'd see the Custodes as being wary in their allies - the Adeptus Astartes once caused the galaxy to burn and could again, the Solar Auxilia/Imperial Guard turn renegade at the drop of a hat, and the returned Roboute Guilliman is just one of the those genetic-mongrels that was designed as a simple weapon but had delusions of grandeur and ideas of a kinship/heir to the empire relationship with the Emperor.

Hell, at least the Ad Mech forces have an off-switch if you spear the Dominus-in-charge in the right spot. 

-Ran

Better to just bring Greyfax. She can also ride in a Custodes Landraider.

I considered a Mortis Contemptor with two Twin Lascannons as an Auxiliary slot to accompany the Custodes. Paint it Gold, it has BS 2+ to match the army and provides some ranged anti tank punch.

Make it Dark Angels and it rerolls 1s to hit as well.

I like the idea of ad mech allies. Does anyone think Cawl and 3 Dunecrawlers would be a good spearhead addition? Certainly solves our issues with long range firepower!

If Guard wasn't so stupidly much better I would ally AdMech aswell.

Cawl seems like a waste tho unless you bring a lot of AdMech, I'd rather go Stygi for the -1 to hit to keep them alive longer.

[quote name="Lion El Josh" post="5008401" timestamp="151835391

I like the idea of ad mech allies. Does anyone think Cawl and 3 Dunecrawlers would be a good spearhead addition? Certainly solves our issues with long range firepower!

If Guard wasn't so stupidly much better I would ally AdMech aswell.

Cawl seems like a waste tho unless you bring a lot of AdMech, I'd rather go Stygi for the -1 to hit to keep them alive longer.

True true. Just an idea I had.

Onto guard then. I’ve been back and forth on what guard allies to look at. From blob cadian’s supported by heavy weapons teams to Tempestus Scions loaded with lots of plasma. I also toyed with the idea of custodes supported by lots of tanks.

Edited by Lion El Josh

If you go bare bones with the guard you can get 2 battalions = 6 CP and add Creed for another 2 CP

Custodes & AM

Adeptus Custodes

Borsa Thursk - Shadow Keeper (Shield-Captain): The Veiled Blade; misericordia; Peerless Warrior 123

Dread Host (Shield-Captain in Allarus Armor): castellan axe; misericordia 148

Shadow Keepers (3 Custodian Guard): 3 × guardian spear 156

Dread Host (3 Custodian Guard): 3 × guardian spear 156

Dread Host (4 Allarus Custodians): 4 × castellan axe 336

Vexilus Praetor in Allarus Armor: vexilla magnifica 130

3 Vertus Praetors: 3 × hurricane bolter 270

Allied Officio Assassinorum

Culexus Assassin 85

Allied Astra Militarum

Lord Castellan Creed 70

Lord Commissar: power sword 55

Company Commander 30

Company Commander 30

10 Guardsmen: Sergeant; 9 Guardsmen; vox-caster 45

10 Guardsmen: Sergeant; 9 Guardsmen 40

2,000 points

Power Rating 109

Command Points 2

I prefer the Scions option though.

Custodes & MT

Adeptus Custodes

Borsa Thursk - Shadow Keeper (Shield-Captain): The Veiled Blade; misericordia; Peerless Warrior 123

Dread Host (Shield-Captain in Allarus Armor): castellan axe; misericordia 148

Shadow Keepers (3 Custodian Guard): 3 × guardian spear 156

Dread Host (4 Allarus Custodians): 4 × castellan axe 336

Vexilus Praetor in Allarus Armor: vexilla magnifica 130

3 Vertus Praetors: 3 × hurricane bolter 270

Allied Officio Assassinorum

Culexus Assassin 85

Allied Astra Militarum

Tempestor Prime: Tempestus command rod; chainsword 45

Tempestor Prime: Tempestus command rod; chainsword 45

Primaris Psyker 46

5 Tempestus Scions: Tempestor; 4 Tempestus Scions; 2 × plasma gun 72

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad: 4 × plasma gun 88

2,000 points

Power Rating 99

Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus make excellent support options for the Custodes. So can the Inquisition with Psykana support from the Sisters of Silence. So much of it depends on how much you want/need to spend on your Custodes and what sort of firepower, objective holding, or esoteric support options you need available to them.

Outside of those optimal ones, a lot of it depends on what objective your Custodes are trying to accomplish. I could see a Battalion or Primaris Marines having enough girth to sustain a front-line battle while your Custodes push deep into the enemy. Anti-Armor firepower can come from a few nice sources in the Imperium. Assassins are always helpful.

Amongst Xenos, Eldar are broken and amazing and are thus always great to have around. Tau long-range firepower coupled with your beat-stick is scary. Necrons have fantastic staying power, while Orks can swamp the field with enough Boyz to threaten the enemy without even needing you! Tyranids bring a lot of tools to the table.