Info

UniWolf

Hi guys I'm looking at potentially starting a Necron army and am looking for a little info. I know there will be a bias but what is good and what is bad about them? currently I play space wolfs so like cc units but want an army with some more shooty options while also being able to hold their own in cc 

I also play space wolves and necrons. The positive side to necrons is there durability. The reanimation ability is great. They also have leadership 10 across the board. But the army really doesn't have much for units that can do the shooting and cc, none that really stand out. Not like the thunderwolf cav or wolf guard. They have units that can do one or the other pretty well. And necron weapons besides tesla have a - to AP.

Edited by spacepup

I would say you might want to wait for the codex. Pretty much everything necrons have is severely overpriced. if you definitely want necrons and can't wait, our fast attacks have always been the strongest units in my games. Wraiths are very very durable and fast and fairly killy. Tomb Blades are very fast and very killy and decently study. Destroyers are the same. The Command Barge had been amazing for me - tough to target and even when you can it shrugs off wounds left and right.

I'm currently having the same quandary. In the back end of 7th I acquired a small Necron force (enough for a decurion and the canoptek construct thing), in 8th I have only played Wolves so far but I want to start using my Necrons again.

Whats good in terms of anti armour? Because nothing I currently own has more than S6 or 7 weaponry, which isnt enough in my experience.

That's one of our biggest problems right now. Heavy Destroyers or Triarch Stalkers can be okay, but points to shots ratio is not great (especially stalkers). Doom Scythe can hurt vehicles but again not the most efficient.

I'm seeing how my Heavy Destroyers work backed by a Destroyer Lord in a couple days. Hoping that, at smaller point levels at least, it provides me with a bit more reliability.

Yea, reading through the index I see that anti-armour is an issue. I'll need to add some heavy destroyers to my force I think.

Whats the doomsday ark like? Its got range and strength if it doesn't move. I have that kit on order, just wondering if its worth building it as a ghost ark or a doomsday ark?

I've only used it as a Ghost Ark, but the GA is amazing right now.  Decent firepower, fairly resilient with Quantum Shielding.  But the Reanimation Protocol reroll is great for armies with lots of Warriors.  It forces your enemy to focus your Warriors down or they just come right back.  Makes them very tough to remove from objectives or just to stop from killing their stuff.  But looking at it's stats, it looks a bit weak for the points (like everything we have).  D3 shots means you really need a few to make sure you can put out some pain.  But comparing to something like an Onager Dunecrawler with Neutron Laser, it is going to do less damage while costing more.  That said, bringing a few might be the best option we have right now.

Not worth it, in my opinion. It needs a lot of help. Dedicated anti-armor goes right through it since it has no invulnerable save or Quantum Shielding. They need a massive point drop or a huge boost to their weapons. Probably a little of both.