Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death Guard - An homage to their original legion colours

Death Guard 40K Nurgle

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

I never really was a fan of the green scheme currently used by Games Workshop for the new 40K Death Guard, so I set about trying to devise something that looked suitably worn/rotten/decayed and at the same time paid homage to their original legion colours. After a number of trial runs I am pleased to present my chosen colour scheme, which I am very happy with.

At the moment these are all I've completed. I do have a large number of plague marines, vehicles and drones ready to go but with the recent launch of the new Custodes models taunting me from the side of my hobby bench, it was all I could do to stay focused and finish this lot!

Anyway, here they are in all their fetid glory.

First of all is Typhus:

gallery_81398_14170_202895.jpg

3 of the Deathshroud:

gallery_81398_14170_172860.jpg gallery_81398_14170_195649.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_228939.jpg

The Lord of Contagion from the Dark Imperium box:

gallery_81398_14170_64802.jpg

Felthius and his Tainted Cohort (with an extra one modified from another box):

gallery_81398_14170_276097.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_88578.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_142421.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_82391.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_97274.jpg

The Blightlords (it seems in my haste to paint these up and get started on the Custodes, I missed out the model with the flail - ho hum..):

gallery_81398_14170_47292.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_1713.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_198515.jpg  gallery_81398_14170_220715.jpg

And finally the Plague Marine Champion:

gallery_81398_14170_91322.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look. Any comments and criticisms are always welcome.

• Honda, DuskRaider, Firepower and 15 others like this

Formally known as Brother Ophamion, now ripe with the fetid blessings of Grandfather Nurgle.

CMDR_Welles

CMDR_Welles

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
I love the rust! is that a salt technique?

My only complaint with them (other than no Felthius face msn-wink.gif ) is the stringy goop strands. To me its more distracting than pleasing if that makes sense?
Its all very subjective, but that is my only issue. Otherwise, its a really nice collection.

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,912 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem

Rust's looking capital.

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

I love the rust! is that a salt technique?

My only complaint with them (other than no Felthius face msn-wink.gif ) is the stringy goop strands. To me its more distracting than pleasing if that makes sense?
Its all very subjective, but that is my only issue. Otherwise, its a really nice collection.

Thanks. It's the chipping technique, in this particular case the Death Guard tutorial from Lil'legend using a chipping solution (hairspray if you're old school). I originally used Ammo's Heavy Chipping solution but it took off too much of the final colour paint. I guess it's really aimed at large surfaces such as on vehicles. In the end I used Ammo's other solution, Worn Effects, which allows for a much finer "paint removal".

I'm afraid Felthius's original head was a little too cartoonish for my liking, hence the swap, and I know what you mean about the gloopy strands. I'd removed as much of the smoke, slime (and nurglings!!) as I could from most of the models but some were too much hassle. So I just added a little slime here and there with Bostik and Nurgle's Rot. In some cases it works well but in others it does look a little much in hindsight.

Rust's looking capital.

Thank you.

Formally known as Brother Ophamion, now ripe with the fetid blessings of Grandfather Nurgle.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,509 posts

Absolutely disgusting.

I love it.

robofish7591

robofish7591

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 693 posts

I really like the head swap on felthius... I always thought that the original head looked like the goombas from that awful super mario brothers movie...

Robo's Anviliarium - My Iron Hands WIP thread

gallery_84735_14657_41554.jpg

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Absolutely disgusting.

I love it.

I really like the head swap on felthius... I always thought that the original head looked like the goombas from that awful super mario brothers movie...

Thank you.

barek

barek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 585 posts
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris

Perfect. Just perfect. Please go on and give us a vehicle to. :)

"Emperor have pity, for the Long Fangs will not."
Brother Leethel

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Perfect. Just perfect. Please go on and give us a vehicle to. smile.png

Thank you.

And lined up ready to finish just as soon as I get some of the Custodes completed, we have.......

gallery_81398_14170_287871.jpg

Edited by The Putrid One, 11 February 2018 - 07:37 AM.

• robofish7591 likes this

Burias-Drak'shal

Burias-Drak'shal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 618 posts
  • Faction: Wordbearer

great work

ETL VI Banner ETL VI Magister Faction Astartes
     ETL VI Banner 03 Custos Fidei 01

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 2,347 posts
  • Faction: Children of The Violet Heart
Gross.

Keep it up.
"I have of late - but wherefore I know not - lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilential congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither. Nor woman neither."

Posted Image

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Finished the Plagueburst Crawler. A great model to paint but for the next one I'll not assemble it completely before painting.

gallery_81398_14170_27640.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_329063.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_20857.jpg

Thanks again to Myles of Lil'legend for providing the excellent tutorial for the rust techniques.

Edited by The Putrid One, 15 February 2018 - 08:57 AM.

• DuskRaider, Machine God, Chaplain Dosjetka and 2 others like this

Chazzmos

Chazzmos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 78 posts

Holy wowserino, that is some amazing painting and chipping work.  They look fantastic!

Did you chip off the paint using a particular tool?

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Holy wowserino, that is some amazing painting and chipping work.  They look fantastic!

Did you chip off the paint using a particular tool?

Thank you.

I switched between using a toothpick (wooden), a small stiff nylon brush, a cotton bud (Q tip), a small wire brush and a compass point. Anything that would take the surface paint off and give a variation to the result. Even an Iwata air brush cleaning brush! (from their cleaning kit).

• Chazzmos likes this

Captain Mick

Captain Mick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
    Death Guard

Really amazing rust effects. Great paint jobs.

My Archived UM Topic : http://www.bolterand...howtopic=151653 (Last updated 13-08-2010)
My Archived Death Guard topic: http://www.bolterand...howtopic=208519] (Last updated 21-01-2011)

New Deathguard Topic: http://www.bolterand...ed-death-guard/ (Updated 27-06-2018)

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 649 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Makes my stomach churn...... Brilliantmsn-wink.gif thumbsup.gif 

Spikedhalo

Spikedhalo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

jawdrop.gif One of the best Death Guard I've ever seen - Fantastic!!! Your Rust is outstanding! And the slime... wooow 

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts

Love that paint scheme. Nice work

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,761 posts
  • Faction: Ist, IVth and VIIIth Legions
That’s some nasty looking Death Guard, in the best possible way.

There are some great Death Guard armies out there but I think yours is the closest I’ve seen to how I picture them when I read the novels. It’s corrosion, rather than disease. I love it!

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts
Thank you for the compliments - very much appreciated.

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
Looks awesome I love the colour scheme.

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,107 posts

I love these! Would it be possible to get a group shot?

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

I love these! Would it be possible to get a group shot?

I’ve almost finished 30+ plague marines so will be photographing them soon. Will try and get a group shot done then.
  • FearPeteySodes likes this

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

Group shot of all models completed so far as requested.

gallery_81398_14170_156823.jpg

• FearPeteySodes, GreyRavenC and Spazmolytic like this

The Putrid One

The Putrid One

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts

And the final batch of figures. First of all are the ones from the Dark Imperium boxset. Each photo shows 2 figures - the one on the left is the vanilla model from the set and the other is my conversion of the model:

gallery_81398_14170_146926.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_14647.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_10806.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_331747.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_48888.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_323093.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_274978.jpg

gallery_81398_14170_291302.jpg

• philsminions likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death Guard, 40K, Nurgle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users